Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, I think they want to return to the "Catholic Church Charity Hospital" system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

happyhippy posted:

I would love to ask such a fuckwit how many bakesales does it take to afford chemo.

It takes precisely 40 cakes worth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well if you'd just sell your cakes for 10,000 dollars each then you'd have money for chemo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

happyhippy posted:

I would love to ask such a fuckwit how many bakesales does it take to afford chemo.

Another reason to attend a mega church. Lots of people to guilt trip into paying into your gofundme not to die.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

evilmiera posted:

It takes precisely 40 cakes worth.

And that's terrible

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Another reason to attend a mega church. Lots of people to guilt trip into paying into your gofundme not to die.

I wonder what the time to acceptance is in one of those. Maybe I can make a career out of grifting my fellow Americans through the power of the lord.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
People already do this

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chard posted:

I wonder what the time to acceptance is in one of those. Maybe I can make a career out of grifting my fellow Americans through the power of the lord.

They already have that, it's call "evangelism"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well least pre existing bullshit is still gone in the senate bill, i bet you thats what cruz and friends hate.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

And this isn't a thing I've heard from some cohesive group of people but from many people who live miles and miles apart, who don't know eachother, over many years now. It's a right-wing meme.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Trabisnikof posted:

We'd like to spend some of the tithes towards preventing your excruciatingly slow and painful death, but the Java 3:16 stand in the food court won't renovate itself!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They already have that, it's call "evangelism"

:thejoke: but I'm bad at those

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One day you pay for someone's chemo with tithe, next day you are turning people away from joining the church due to preexisting conditions.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/fightbobby/status/877872078682181632

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Sandoval is talking up the Medicaid expansion apparently

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I think a lot of the neoliberal vs left stuff is overthinking, honestly. One of the consistent findings of political science is that voters are incredibly ignorant. Your dumbshit cousin who spams Trump memes is probably more well-informed than 90% of the populace because they're at least keeping up on current events through whatever chthonian prism they view the world. Trump barely had policies during the campaign and for the most part he still doesn't, which is why our IR is a mess and domestically he's just gonna sign whatever Congress gives him. His preexisting celebrity and outsider status was enough for incoherent tribal yelling to break a firewall that had been previously impervious to all the Republican PAC money and focus-testing in the world.

If there's any commonality to be found between the British and the French elections it's that in both cases they didn't show any hesitation to toss out their leadership in the face of a reactionary wave whose thesis statement was less about any actual plans and more about "these major parties have hosed you over!" Corbyn was a career backbencher, Macron had a two-year stint in the cabinet. Neither of them really had the stink of the establishment on them as far as the general electorate was concerned. Sure, Le Pen could rationally argue that Macron's actual policies were but it's not the actual policies that are driving the bus, it's this general hunger for change, for something that feels different. And if you are one of the thinking elite who both understands right-wing policies and wants to oppose them, the counter-intuitive conclusion is that you should care a lot less about the particular people at the top of the ticket.

This is why I'm a neoliberal / charmin-soft-libertarian but find myself mostly in sympathy with the criticisms of the far left (or what passes for it in America) vis-a-vis the ossified leadership of the Democrats. They want to change something, and regardless of my disquiet with the direction of that change, that's at least the correct political survival instinct rather than accusing everyone who suggests such a thing of being a Jill Stein dead-ender.

In conclusion, this but unironically:
https://twitter.com/ConnorSouthard/status/873191084830183426

Elotana fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 23, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Mega Churches basically exist as a giant scam.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If they can enact incremental positive change, i'm all for it. I am not for it when they spend more time tearing down fellow democrats than advocating for their supposed causes.

Ah yes enacting important issues like removing fluoride from the local water supply or making sure the wifi/cell towers have organic noncancer causing waves.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sean10mm posted:

We'd like to spend some of the tithes towards preventing your excruciatingly slow and painful death, but the Java 3:16 stand in the food court won't renovate itself!

Oh yeah it's not about getting tithes, it is all about showing up the rest of the congregation that I am the most blessed because I can drop $2000 on Mrs. Jones's chemo. So long as you've got your tiers set up right so I can flaunt that is.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

i grew up going to a mega church. they are a scam designed to keep a community desperate and satisfied with that desperation. please tithe (gross not net).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Ah yes enacting important issues like removing fluoride from the local water supply or making sure the wifi/cell towers have organic noncancer causing waves.

I have a special box that can do the latter, only 200 bucks per emitter. Guaranteed not to cause cancer.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Heller won't support the bill in its current form

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh yeah it's not about getting tithes, it is all about showing up the rest of the congregation that I am the most blessed because I can drop $2000 on Mrs. Jones's chemo. So long as you've got your tiers set up right so I can flaunt that is.

Appealing to vanity is good in principle, but on the other hand:

"But I already paid my tithe, therefore I owe nobody else in the world anything, ever!" - What 99% of them actually think.

"I helped one other extra person, therefore I'm done for the month/year/rest of my life" - The other 1% of them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

You forgot the Pastor's 99% admin fee/private jet fund.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Hollismason posted:

Mega Churches basically exist as a giant scam.

I wish I didn't have a conscience. You could make a fortune off of those rubes if you were just moderately intelligent and had no soul.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

i grew up going to a mega church. they are a scam designed to keep a community desperate and satisfied with that desperation. please tithe (gross not net).

Literal thing I've heard. "Some people ask me if they should tithe before or after taxes. Well, let me ask you this: do you want God's blessing before or after taxes?" :smuggo:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Has Heller specified what exactly he doesn't like about the current bill or will a token amendment of some throwaway money toward the opioid crisis change his mind?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
So that's 5 no's as of right now, correct? 1 moderate and 4 conservative

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

Heller won't support the bill in its current form

Heller's more likely to be a harder "no" than loons like Cruz/Lee/Johnson because he's extremely vulnerable.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Javes posted:

Has Heller specified what exactly he doesn't like about the current bill or will a token amendment of some throwaway money toward the opioid crisis change his mind?

Twitter talk suggests he won't be won over easily, the emphasis of the presser was Medicaid, but who knows.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
He doesn't like the Medicaid cuts, which are kind of the only reason the Senate bill's math works (since they took out a lot of the other House stuff but still need to meet reconciliation)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Heller is one of like 2 GOP Senate seats at serious risk in 2018. He has a lot of reason to vote No.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Elotana posted:

Your dumbshit cousin who spams Trump memes is probably more well-informed than 90% of the populace because they're at least keeping up on current events through whatever chthonian prism they view the world.

The cousin is likely less informed than someone who doesn't consume news.

https://www.scribd.com/document/73377350/Fairleigh-Dickinson-University-Public-Mind-Poll

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Real question is whether they vote no or hedge their bets by voting yes "with concerns"

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BootStrap posted:

I wish I didn't have a conscience. You could make a fortune off of those rubes if you were just moderately intelligent and had no soul.

Yeah this is why the GOP leadership is dead set on causing as much suffering as possible in order to drive up their own wealth (either directly or from their benefactors) The average Republican voter is just a authoritarian thinking, frightened, ignorant rube. Republican politicians are literal loving sociopaths who are willing to say and do what ever they need to in order to guide them around by their noses.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

People are big dumb idiots and whenever I see that Stat about what % of Americans would be SOL with an unexpected expense of a thousand dollars I wonder how much of it is legit economic hardship and how much is terrible planning for the future
Little of Column A, little of Column B. I know a small businessman who worked for himself, loved being his own boss, never paid into Social Security because 'that's my money.' No retirement savings. He's now living on a fixed income mostly surviving off his wife's SS survivor benefits and whatever SS he earned before he opened his own place and only TriCare (he's a vet) is keeping his dumb diabetes and four heart attacks-having rear end alive. He is still of course a rabid Republican and loves Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Say Heller and Paul are hard Nos. If it comes down to Cruz would he have the nerve to take a giant poo poo on the GOP establishment and tank the entire thing? Because based on his reputation I'm pretty sure he might.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
"it's going to be very difficult to get me to a yes"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Chard posted:

You have to be born to it or have an amazing conversion story. Make it as titillating as possible, your marks lap that poo poo up. You can't break character though, that's what brings down most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

"it's going to be very difficult to get me to a yes"

Who's that? Heller or Cruz?

• Locked thread