Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

syscall girl posted:

When you think of a migrant working spraying poo poo at high velocity onto your iceberg lettuce it makes a kind of sense

E. coli is not really an accident it turns out

When you think of GA and literal slave labor you have to wonder just where this is going :munch:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2012/05/17/the-law-of-unintended-consequences-georgias-immigration-law-backfires/#7436dbc5492a

Migrant workers getting payed garbage is bad but using prisoners as slaves is also bad. Am I more clear?

ElGroucho posted:

Bingo

We all work IT now

All the higher up techs for att are hispanic and they are the best. They always know what I want done and are extremly helpful. If only I didn't have to suffer through the hell maze of atts customer service to get to them when I have a problem that I can't fix or trouble shoot myself.

snergle has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

BrianBoitano posted:

To be fair, this is much less important for a band than it is for, say, a politician or a tech company CEO. I doubt the folks who are still Smash Mouth fans in TYOOL 2017 will boycott the band because of this.

yeah outside of a tiny subset of humanity, nobody is scrutinizing or even paying attention to what smash mouth is doing these days lmao, people here severely overestimate the popularity of the bands they like

actually all my friends do that it's super annoying

"OMG what do you mean you haven't heard Obscure Trap Artist's entire discography!! Where have you been and how the hell are we even friends?!"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

KingSlime posted:

why did Uber fight tooth and nail to avoid a 2k settlement that resulted in a 4k ruling? Seems like peanuts in the big picture unless I am missing something obvious.

Because of the precedent. If they can establish they aren't responsible for the actions of drivers, they're nearly lawsuit-proof. They wanted a firm "Uber doesn't have to do anything" win. Small claims court or not.

Because they're idiots.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Skippy McPants posted:

If you're an average person sure, mistakes happen, but if you're a professional who depends on their public image? Then it's maybe worth a 10-second google so you don't inadvertently attach yourself some something or someone unpleasant.
I intended to suggest that even the audience shouldn't worry about it. There's no really meaningful way in which posting a person's one inoffensive work attaches you to whatever other trash they may have made; it's basically just "optics" that we pretend to care about because we figure other people care about it. Seems that way to me, anyway.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

KingSlime posted:

why did Uber fight tooth and nail to avoid a 2k settlement that resulted in a 4k ruling? Seems like peanuts in the big picture unless I am missing something obvious.

Uber is a loving garbage company that can't go bankrupt soon enough, that's why.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

I intended to suggest that even the audience shouldn't worry about it. There's no really meaningful way in which posting a person's one inoffensive work attaches you to whatever other trash they may have made; it's basically just "optics" that we pretend to care about because we figure other people care about it. Seems that way to me, anyway.

yeah "normies" don't trip or even think about stuff like that

gven our history in SA however, it is understandable that people are...attentive to having a prominent community member tied to some hosed up internet poo poo lol

also those replies about uber makes sense, nothing but a big bag of dicks = dickhead behavior

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

KingSlime posted:

They need to set a precedent that rules don't apply to them.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
The UK already has it's own version of legalized slavery in the Work Programme. I don't know if it is big enough to fully replace migrant labour though. I doubt it

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

1stGear posted:

Uber is a loving garbage company that can't go bankrupt soon enough, that's why.

I like the idea of Uber, because it helps those who need transportation and cab help people who need some extra side money, but the more I hear about the company and some of the drivers, the more I think it should just go away.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

snergle posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2012/05/17/the-law-of-unintended-consequences-georgias-immigration-law-backfires/#7436dbc5492a

Migrant workers getting payed garbage is bad but using prisoners as slaves is also bad. Am I more clear?

I have managed to wrap my head around the concept

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

1stGear posted:

The good thing that Uber did was break the legally imposed, and likely corruption fed, monopoly of the taxi companies that was resulting in absolutely terrible customer experiences.

The bad thing they did was literally everything else. Frankly, I'm enjoying watching them burn. With the model for how to get around the taxi companies now existing and there being almost no barrier of entry for it, there will be others to pick up the slack and hopefully not be awful people in the process.

Random Stranger has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Jun 23, 2017

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Because they are a trash company that would rather spend that money obtaining the medical records of a rape victim in an attempt to determine if she was an agent of a rival company making up the story in order to slander them.

Now they have to spend more money to investigate their (almost assuredly illegal) rape witch hunt.

Uber hiring law firm to probe handling of India rape case: report

quote:

O'Melveny & Myers is reportedly looking into whether bribery was involved in obtaining the documents, though Reuters has not found evidence to show that it was. The investigation is still in its early stages.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Intel's CPU features cause OS security issues a second time.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
ugh definitely uninstalling Uber now

is Lyft also known for being lovely? It has been my go-to lately

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Everyone having fun at a draft, which is normally stupid and boring.
https://twitter.com/SportsFunhouse/status/878103255099744257

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All companies are lovely once they get big enough

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

To be fair, this is much less important for a band than it is for, say, a politician or a tech company CEO. I doubt the folks who are still Smash Mouth fans in TYOOL 2017 will boycott the band because of this.
The mystifying part for me is that their Twitter is almost certainly managed by someone whose sole job is running social media accounts, whether they have someone actually on staff or it gets outsourced, and whoever that is really should know better.

They handled it correctly at least though: took it down, issue an "our bad" apology, and moved on.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Reminds me of this old chestnut:

Guess which state accidentally declared all computers and smartphones illegal

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

KingSlime posted:

Hell, I'm curious if any other ride-shares are around that don't have some kind of massive baggage attached to them.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Azhais posted:

All companies are lovely once they get big enough

But ones that start with the motto of loving over local laws are bad from the start

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jesus, seems like every time I turn around there's a new story about Uber shooting itself in the foot. Normally it's hilarious, but this one is just awful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

snergle posted:

But ones that start with the motto of loving over local laws are bad from the start

What if the local laws they're "loving over" are specifically designed to enrich a handful of people at the expense of everyone else?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Paul Ryan once wrote a plan to privatize social security that would have actually nationalized the entire US economy

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Random Stranger posted:

What if the local laws they're "loving over" are specifically designed to enrich a handful of people at the expense of everyone else?

A lot of those laws are also to put some protections in place for passengers. Uber was really fond of breaking those laws too.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Not to mention their heroic stand against worker protection laws

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Gum posted:

Paul Ryan once wrote a plan to privatize social security that would have actually nationalized the entire US economy

I don't know where Republicans got the idea that Paul Ryan was some sort of financial "wonk" because he read one very bad Objectivism book in high school.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Ariong posted:

Jesus, seems like every time I turn around there's a new story about Uber shooting itself in the foot. Normally it's hilarious, but this one is just awful.

Just think, all of these stories coming out are reports of events that happened 2+ years ago. Only now have they resulted in the majority of Uber's executive level staff resigning or being fired. Over the next couple of years there should be no shortage of even worse stories being leaked and revealed about the things those executives did during more recent times. :allears:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gum posted:

I sometimes work on writing rules for one gov't agency in one of the butt-of-every-joke states. Rule writing is basically how you implement and enforce laws.

It's surprising sometimes how far we get into the process without realizing poo poo like this is about to happen with stuff we're writing. Sometimes it's our fault, sometimes it's the way the law is written.

Usually the laws are broad because legislators don't know how our agency works and let us figure out the details. Sometimes, like in the past two months, we realize we need to send a note to the legislature like "uhh, you can't do that, fix the law before a lawsuit please".

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

ElGroucho posted:

I don't know where Republicans got the idea that Paul Ryan was some sort of financial "wonk" because he read one very bad Objectivism book in high school.

He sounds nerdy and his interns can use PowerPoint.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Gum posted:

His 'workout' pics certainly belong itt

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone tried to legislate Florida off the Internet????? And noone stood up for them them?????? Dear God!!!!!!!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

wasted effort really, florida is going to literally sink when the icecaps melt.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, but in this case, literally even clicking over to the guy's twitter is going to immediately blast someone's eyes, and that is something that any rando on Smash Mouth's twitter might do. That guy does NOT hide his issues.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KingSlime posted:

When taxi drivers in NYC went on strike to protest Trump's immigration ban on Muslims, Uber removed surge pricing around JFK International Airport to act as scabs and make a profit off the protest.

Lyft donated a ton of money to the ACLU instead.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/7r1TsoY.gifv

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

When taxi drivers in NYC went on strike to protest Trump's immigration ban on Muslims, Uber removed surge pricing around JFK International Airport to act as scabs and make a profit off the protest.

If Uber had left surge pricing enabled people would have been bitching that "when the cab drivers struck and all these people were stranded at the airport, Uber kept surge pricing turned on to take advantage of the situation." All they did was turn surge pricing off.

Uber's an awful company with a really questionable business model. But the cab companies in the city I live in are literally worse than polio.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

chitoryu12 posted:

Donating money to look good while destroying the rights of workers is still not good. It's just using the appearance of it to steal market share.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In which major cities are taxi drivers employees with rights? I think there are some, but nowhere I've lived.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Phanatic posted:

If Uber had left surge pricing enabled people would have been bitching that "when the cab drivers struck and all these people were stranded at the airport, Uber kept surge pricing turned on to take advantage of the situation." All they did was turn surge pricing off.

Uber's an awful company with a really questionable business model. But the cab companies in the city I live in are literally worse than polio.

The only way the company would have been able to win in the scenario would have been to support the individuals who put up the pickets on the matter but also re-iterate that the drivers are self-employeed and as such are not part of any livery union therefore they can not prevent drivers from picking up or discharging passengers. In an attempt to provide services to individuals who require rides, we have removed surge pricing due to the increased demand. Furthermore we will be donating... etc.

It's just that Uber doesn't have a PR department worth their salt and can't seem to spin anything in a positive light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think the PR team is the limitation. The company has to do good things for the PR team to talk about good things.