Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sic Semper Goon posted:

What of celibate monks/nuns?

I'm talking in generalities rather than specifics; some people can handle total celibacy but they're an exception and relatively uncommon. Just as there are people who are totally fine with total social isolation. Whereas most of us would go crazy if you locked us away from human contact for too long some deliberately isolate themselves are are OK with it. There's argument that that's a personality disorder but people are extremely varied; some people just never develop any sexual desire at all. They're not wrong they're just rare.

Aramek posted:

Yeah, they post a lot of deranged poo poo like this from the Incels over on Reddit in the IoSM thread. It's hilariously awful.

There's a difference between saying "this is a thing that exists" and using it as emotional blackmail. I don't have a ton of experience with the incel community but I'm going to go ahead and guess their argument is "somebody should gently caress me because I want to gently caress." No other reason; "have sex with me because I'll be sad if you don't." Being cranky or down because you haven't gotten any in a while is fine; using that to control the behavior of others is not. That gets tied into MRAism, doesn't it?

Granted I'm also going to assume that those folks are assuming that everybody else has way more sex than they actually do. "Everybody is a slut but me" is a bafflingly common belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sic Semper Goon posted:

What of celibate monks/nuns?

loving weirdos and just anotber reason why religion is loving retarded

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

thank you, enlightened athiest man

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

thank you, enlightened athiest man

Np im here to help.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I like and prefer anal.

I'm not particular who pitches first as long as we go the full nine innings.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jastiger posted:

At least in general if you meet a monk or whatever that has lived their whole life in some monastery away from society you know they genuinely believe and try to follow the religion. Like if they say "I'll pray for you" they probably actually mean that instead of "you're going to hell, get away from me" or "you're going to die".

Not saying they aren't weirdos, but at least they are genuine and not just using religion as an excuse/cover for their bad opinions/behavior like most people.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's a difference between saying "this is a thing that exists" and using it as emotional blackmail. I don't have a ton of experience with the incel community but I'm going to go ahead and guess their argument is "somebody should gently caress me because I want to gently caress." No other reason; "have sex with me because I'll be sad if you don't." Being cranky or down because you haven't gotten any in a while is fine; using that to control the behavior of others is not. That gets tied into MRAism, doesn't it?

Granted I'm also going to assume that those folks are assuming that everybody else has way more sex than they actually do. "Everybody is a slut but me" is a bafflingly common belief.

I think self proclaimed incels have lots of problems that lead to that outcome. Like, they are not actually trying to get sex because they believe they can't, or don't deserve it, or something.

Also, I bet there are a lot of potential incels in monasteries. They were frightened by life in the world and went into hiding behind a Jesus wall.

Caufman posted:

I like and prefer anal.

I'm not particular who pitches first as long as we go the full nine innings.

Hi five buddy.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A minimum income for everybody would mean that "do X or I'll cut you off" just plain doesn't matter. If everybody is guaranteed a minimum standard of living, no questions asked, then a person in an abusive relationship can leave without worrying about financial ties. Of course if a person was there because said abuser was wealthy that changes things.

What you're falling into however is "the thing you are suggesting is not perfect. Therefore it is bad." No system is ever perfect; child support is not perfect either for reasons I pointed out. However, guaranteed minimum income is far better than what you're suggesting. Every system is going to get gamed in some way, shape, or form no matter which way you slice it. That's a fact of life. The thing of it is though is that you have to look at the amount of welfare fraud that currently happens. It's so tiny it can be ignored. Like really; look at the numbers. The cost is negligible when you compare the cost of food stamps to the cost of food stamp fraud.

I'm also going to point out that American society is very punitive and wants to punish. Child support payments can sometimes be so absolutely onerous that they lead to financial ruin. It varies by case and by area but some of those dead beat dads you hear about had something happen like they lost their job but were told they couldn't have their payments adjusted for a year. How in the hell can you possibly pay that? Chances are the answer is "you don't." However it just plain feels better to turn said dad into one of those people, ignore every concern they have, and shackle them with the payments and debt. A strong social safety net, good social programs, and especially a guaranteed minimum income really do render your concerns moot.

American society looks for somebody to blame; in the case of children living in poverty it's "blame dad." Instead of doing something to actually loving fix the problem we just go "well the fathers should should take responsibility. If they won't we'll force them to." While that is in fact what happens in some situation that does not describe every situation.

I've never argued against minimum income. Hell, I'm all for it, with no reservations. I'm just saying that, were they legalised, financial abortions could very easily factor into abusive relationships as another means of control, which is integral to abusive relationships. It isnt about the money, it's about it being a point of control. If there was a universal minimum income, abusive relationships would still exist. That still also doesn't address the difficulties of determining when the latest point is at which parental rights could be abandoned.

I won't go into how child support payments are calculated in the US, because I'm not American. However, I will reiterate my point (which I may not have communicated as best as possible) which is: child support (as a concept) is not a punishment. It's a recognition of the fact that you helped make a person, so you have to give something into helping raise them. Again, not commenting on how it's executed in practice (punishments like suspending a driver's licence for non-payment are just stupid as has been covered in detail), just commenting on the concept generally.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Big houses are bad and dumb

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Munchables posted:

Big houses are bad and dumb

In what way? If you can afford it, why wouldn't you want it?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

I have no need for all that space, I've lived in tiny houses most of my life so big houses just look dumb to me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Munchables posted:

I have no need for all that space, I've lived in tiny houses most of my life so big houses just look dumb to me.

So they are bad and dumb for you, OK, but surely you can understand that some people aren't you and would in fact like a lot of space.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Well yeah, that's why it's MY opinion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
More house just means more to clean and more stuff accumulates in rooms you don't use.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Munchables posted:

Well yeah, that's why it's MY opinion.

You made a blanket statement that they are bad and dumb when you really meant they are bad and dumb for you personally.

Also the cleaning thing isn't a big deal if you aren't lazy, just a couple hours a week of cleaning can keep up with any reasonably sized house. Or you can just hire a cleaning lady to come in and do it for you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

sassassin posted:

More house just means more to clean and more stuff accumulates in rooms you don't use.

Yeah, I hate cleaning and a huge house ends up flat out taking time to walk everywhere. It's like playing the sims and having a way too big of a house so your sim spends all the time walking everywhere. Ideally you just want a single tiny room with a bed, toilet, computer, stove to minimize travel time.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

It's basically the same as if I said "X game sucks" it's pretty obviously an opinion, even though it's phrased like an objective statement. Especially considering you can just read the title of the thread and voila it all becomes clear.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Munchables posted:

It's basically the same as if I said "X game sucks" it's pretty obviously an opinion, even though it's phrased like an objective statement. Especially considering you can just read the title of the thread and voila it all becomes clear.

Yeah, and just like what happens all the time in this thread i can tell you your opinion is dumb+bad.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah, and just like what happens all the time in this thread i can tell you your opinion is dumb+bad.

:yeah: that's the spirit!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

You made a blanket statement that they are bad and dumb when you really meant they are bad and dumb for you personally.

He says, in the Post Your Personally Held Unpopular Opinion thread

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Also the cleaning thing isn't a big deal if you aren't lazy, just a couple hours a week of cleaning can keep up with any reasonably sized house. Or you can just hire a cleaning lady to come in and do it for you.

Or I could be lazy, save a few hours and not have to pay someone anything.

I own a 3 bedroom and there are parts of my house where I can tell guests "we don't open that door any more..."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

sassassin posted:

Or I could be lazy, save a few hours and not have to pay someone anything.

I own a 3 bedroom and there are parts of my house where I can tell guests "we don't open that door any more..."

That's not normal. Have some pride in your living space, don't act like a hoarder who is too mentally ill to keep their place clean.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Having a small house that is small enough that you notice it sucks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's nice to have just the right amount of living space. I wish "space" was a thing you could just buy/sell as needed. I have a tiny 2 br apartment, my parents have a ridiculously massive house with multiple unused large rooms. Ideally they could just give me a couple rooms and I could tack them onto my apartment, using portals or something?

There's so many people who need more space but can't get it, and so many people who really need to downsize but don't /can't for some reason.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

That's not normal. Have some pride in your living space, don't act like a hoarder who is too mentally ill to keep their place clean.

I keep my living space in good order, but the spare bedroom and master bathroom aren't being lived in. I have too much house.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

He says, in the Post Your Personally Held Unpopular Opinion thread

Too easy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dark Souls 2 was the best game in the series, both technically and design wise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cooking in a small apartment sucks. The smell. The smell!!!! It permeates everything in a small space.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

I keep my living space in good order, but the spare bedroom and master bathroom aren't being lived in. I have too much house.

What the gently caress bizarro house layout do you have where the non-master bathroom is your go-to?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Cooking in a small apartment sucks. The smell. The smell!!!! It permeates everything in a small space.

...so cook things that smell good?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Like garlic. Roast garlic every day.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Turtlicious posted:

Dark Souls 2 was the best game in the series, both technically and design wise.

Mods?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
No, vanilla version.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What the gently caress bizarro house layout do you have where the non-master bathroom is your go-to?

The master bedroom has an ensuite (with the best shower), plus downstairs toilet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
natural peanut butter is a scam. No one actually likes it, which makes sense because it's gross. People buy natural peanut butter instead of regular good peanut butter because they think it's gotta be in some way healthier or classier. But it's not. It's a scam.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

natural peanut butter is a scam. No one actually likes it, which makes sense because it's gross. People buy natural peanut butter instead of regular good peanut butter because they think it's gotta be in some way healthier or classier. But it's not. It's a scam.

It tastes better

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've been on a musical kick as of late and I finally got around to Into the Woods. It has the most boring songs I've ever heard put to stage. Holy hell.
Also discovered I hate Phantom of the Opera, so there's that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Natural peanut butter tastes way better. The other stuff is way too sweet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In what way? If you can afford it, why wouldn't you want it?
More space is only good if you've got some use for it. If you're just one or two people you don't need six bedrooms.

Mu Zeta posted:

But the smell is good because you like the food you're making?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I you mean the kind that's literally just 100% crushed peanuts, you could not be more wrong. That's the only sort of peanut butter that's worth getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The_Rob posted:

Natural peanut butter tastes way better. The other stuff is way too sweet.

That depends on the brand but yeah...most brand name peanut butter is stuffed full of sugar and sweet as hell. Sure natural peanut butter needs to be stirred from time to time but it tastes more like peanuts.