Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The best Monopoly game was Monopoly Tycoon, where they turned the game into a historical-themed city builder and you could make tons of money in the 1910s by putting a pub on every corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not dead yet

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they made a mario party monopoly in uhhhhhhhh 8 ?? where you pump hotels full of coins and whomever has the most coins in it gets the star. and it goes 1/2/3 stars for any/50/100 coins or something

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

they made a mario party monopoly in uhhhhhhhh 8 ?? where you pump hotels full of coins and whomever has the most coins in it gets the star. and it goes 1/2/3 stars for any/50/100 coins or something

*whomstever

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

I was just wondering if Monopoly was a more hateful experience than Mario Party and it turns out the answer is this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

I was just wondering if Monopoly was a more hateful experience than Mario Party and it turns out the answer is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBxW4bDI1rU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

*whomstever

nice catch

oddium posted:

they made a mario party monopoly in uhhhhhhhh 8 ?? where you pump hotels full of coins and whomever has the most coins in it gets the star. and it goes 1/2/3 stars for any/50/100 coins or whomstever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Saint Freak posted:

Does anyone actually buy Monopoly, or does it just appear mysteriously on the top shelf of your linen closet and one day you look at it and think 'finally a way to have less friends'

my father bought me MONTY PYTHON MONOPOLY for my birthday and we played it and then i put it in the closet forever

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Wow that looks really cool, I would suck at it but it looks nice!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

oddium posted:

This is called Hotel Mario, right?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I posted about this in the amiibo thread a few days ago but I wanna repeat it here:

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/878287056992051200

Tom Nook destroyed the entire Toys To Life genre. I know every other brand had their own contributing problems but Tom was like, the catalyst. Once the AC line hit the industry just tanked.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 23, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

gently caress you, Nook.

Saint Freak posted:

Does anyone actually buy Monopoly, or does it just appear mysteriously on the top shelf of your linen closet and one day you look at it and think 'finally a way to have less friends'

I laughed, then sure enough I looked over at the closet with my board games and up at the top is a copy of Terpopoly, a UMD-themed variant that someone once bought me as a going-away present.
To my knowledge, it has never been opened.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 23, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Tom Nook destroyed the entire Toys To Life genre. I know every other brand had their own contributing problems but Tom was like, the catalyst. Once the AC line hit the industry just tanked.

bankrupting people is what Tom does

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Monopoly is pretty fun and moves quickly if you actually read and follow the rules so, for example, every time someone lands on an unoccupied space and they don't buy it it kicks off a bidding war. Most of its reputation as terrible game comes from people ignoring the rules and inventing their own so games turn into hours-long stalemates where the winner is whoever lands on Free Parking and gets thousands of dollars of free money built up over the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It was always so weird to me that they put so much work into amiibo stuff just for animal crossing when only a few of the games could take advantage of it and one of said games was a feature that should have been included in an entirely new animal crossing and another compatible game is mario party but worse

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has there ever been a video game that is animated in the style of stuff like Yellow Submarine? I feel like that'd be a neat style to play a game in but I can't think of any games that have done that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuS5NuXRb5Y

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

It was always so weird to me that they put so much work into amiibo stuff just for animal crossing when only a few of the games could take advantage of it and one of said games was a feature that should have been included in an entirely new animal crossing and another compatible game is mario party but worse

they eventually added amiibo to new leaf tho and it's real good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

an actual dog posted:

IMO they should've just done that first but :shrug: nintenis as nintendoes

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

an actual dog posted:

Yeah but it felt like a damage control update. Like when an MMO or any sort of online PC game experience goes free-to-play or "free-to-play".

I mean it satiated my hunger for more Animal Crossing at least, but a lot of other people didn't seem to realize getting that substantial update last fall basically meant we wouldn't be seeing an Animal Crossing for Switch for a good while, or at least not any time this year.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Has there ever been a video game that is animated in the style of stuff like Yellow Submarine? I feel like that'd be a neat style to play a game in but I can't think of any games that have done that.

It's not quite the same, but that reminds me a little of a game called "And Yet It Moves" which originally released for Wiiware and then found its way to Steam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QLp7q18iZk

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

FirstAidKite posted:

The closest I can think of is Four Last Things, which does cutout animation with Renaissance paintings.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FanaticalMilk posted:

It's not quite the same, but that reminds me a little of a game called "And Yet It Moves" which originally released for Wiiware and then found its way to Steam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QLp7q18iZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiE0LCu6J0

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FirstAidKite posted:

Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not exactly the same but it reminds me of the Land of the Living

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

they made a mario party monopoly

Fortune Street was good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope you enjoy it! :) I think it is a good game but I imagine people would be quick to dismiss it based on how it looks. Though if you aren't a fan of time management at all, this game isn't gonna change your mind.

Oh word, this is time management game? Sold.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah but it felt like a damage control update. Like when an MMO or any sort of online PC game experience goes free-to-play or "free-to-play".

I mean it satiated my hunger for more Animal Crossing at least, but a lot of other people didn't seem to realize getting that substantial update last fall basically meant we wouldn't be seeing an Animal Crossing for Switch for a good while, or at least not any time this year.

If the choice was a big cool update for the 3DS and getting the Animal Crossing for the switch a year earlier, I would definitely choose the 3DS update. In general I'd rather play an AC game on the 3DS than on the Switch, but I'm still curious about how they'll mix it up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh word, this is time management game? Sold.

Yeah, think Diner Dash except good and instead of people coming in to ask for a burger and fries, they come in asking for you to remove the shards of glass sticking out of their skin and for you to shove their misaligned rib cage, collarbone, and spine back into place. Also, medical drama. Everything from that franchise is good (Heart's Medicine is a spinoff of the Delicious series, Delicious being closer to Diner Dash as far as theme goes, and there is another Delicious spinoff called Fabulous which takes the Delicious formula and spins it to be about running a fashion business instead)

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
This is a weird thing but I had a bunch of Wii U games in one of those DVD binders and most of them won't play anymore. I looked it up and apparently Blu-Rays (and I guess things similar to Blu-Rays) can melt in those things and gently caress up the data. Has anyone dealt with something similar with the Wii U or any other systems? I found one post online of a guy who fixed his Blu-Rays by using a hair dryer on them, but I'd like to know if there are any other possible solutions before I do something like that.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Are you sure it's the discs and not your console?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I've never seen that problem and have kept my discs in wallets for years now.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Are you sure it's the discs and not your console?

Any games I've tried that weren't stored there have worked fine, so I'm assuming that's the case.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I've definitely heard of blurays loving up after being stored in binders. I keep mine in cases and I hope everyone follows Nintendo's lead and we get little cards from now on.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
blurays generate heat and too many in one place will destroy them

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well I'm glad I'm learning this years after blu-rays have been a thing and not as a giant loving warning on the case of every blu-ray considering wallets were sold for years and are still available.

Two of the places I saw writing about this:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=128389

http://goughlui.com/2015/04/13/warning-dont-store-blu-ray-discs-in-sleeves-heat-gun-revival-technique/

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah you gotta put some copies of Devil's Third in there to help absorb the good game rays before it heats up the discs too much

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

blurays generate heat and too many in one place will destroy them

lol that's awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thankfully binder full of burned Saturn and dreamcast CD-Rs will last forever

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Better buy up all the Blu-rays now before somebody uses them for the wrong purpose and they get banned :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

VHS cooked by blurays
January 27, 2009 4.5M

Blurays raise their body temperature to cook an invading vhs tape

• Locked thread