Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

johnny depp's broke now so maybe not the best example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

brugroffil posted:

johnny depp's broke now so maybe not the best example?
Doesn't that make him all the more silly then?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Also in that particular example, knowing how Thompson was, I would say firing his ashes out of a cannon made perfect sense.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Private"? Do they hang tarps from airplanes so no one else can see them?

I imagine that it is after normal park hours. Epcot closes at 9pm. Your reception starts at 9:30 and ends with private fireworks at 11.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

John Smith posted:

Obviously, there is a middle ground as well. In fact the middle ground is the bulk of the spectrum. After all, how many people actually do buy into such nonsense? But a spectrum by its nature will also include indulgent nonsense.

And isn't that the point of a wealthy society? That we can afford to have pursuits that our forefathers would never do? Even silly pursuits. Johnny Deep firing his friend's ashes out of a big-rear end cannon didn't make that much sense either, did it? But his wealth allowed him to do it.

I mean I guess I don't think we as a society are quite at the point where blowing crazy amounts of money on trivial bullshit just for funsies is really all that acceptable, and in bitcoin's case in particular it's not even just buying a bunch of single-purpose computer hardware it's buying a bunch of computer hardware and then using the electricity (and carbon footprint) requirements of a medium-sized developed country to run it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

To be clear I think spending money on trivial bullshit just for funsies is fine in most cases, I'm just kinda conflicted when it's either a lot of money all at once (like more than most people would see in a whole lifetime) or really hideously wasteful (like bitcoin)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've got some bad news about human nature then. Making seashell jewelry would have been seen as a tremendous luxury to a hunter/gatherer society. Having extra time to twiddle away at something to make themselves pretty vs feeding themselves could be incomprehensible to someone in that situation. Kings and queens have spent royal fortunes on incredibly stupid poo poo all through history, be it searching for mythical past civilizations or building an entire room out of amber. A modern nation spent billions upon billions to put people on the moon (as neat as that is) mostly to piss off another country.

Those who have, waste and those who don't wish they could. That's the way it's been and if humans haven't evolved away from it yet I don't think we ever will.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've got some bad news about human nature then. Making seashell jewelry would have been seen as a tremendous luxury to a hunter/gatherer society. Having extra time to twiddle away at something to make themselves pretty vs feeding themselves could be incomprehensible to someone in that situation.

From what I've heard, hunter-gatherers actually have quite a bit of downtime. There's no point killing two deer when your family can only eat one at a time, so if everything is OK, they definitely did have time for sitting around, chatting, and making seashell jewellry.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

BarbarianElephant posted:

From what I've heard, hunter-gatherers actually have quite a bit of downtime. There's no point killing two deer when your family can only eat one at a time, so if everything is OK, they definitely did have time for sitting around, chatting, and making seashell jewellry.

The contribution of human groups to civilization was greater on the coasts where food was plentiful in a static location than compared with nomadic tribes in the interior that had to expend much more time and energy tracking food.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BarbarianElephant posted:

Which is probably why there's a school of thought that says humans peaked at that stage.

Hunter-gatherers were swol. Modern man, not so much.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Krispy Kareem posted:

Which is probably why there's a school of thought that says humans peaked at that stage.

By school of thought you mean people on the paleo diet?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also none of that stuff actively harmed the planet like wasting gratuitous amounts of energy.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also none of that stuff actively harmed the planet like wasting gratuitous amounts of energy.
The planet will live on. We might not, though. And about 90% of the extant species.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

cowofwar posted:

The contribution of human groups to civilization was greater on the coasts where food was plentiful in a static location than compared with nomadic tribes in the interior that had to expend much more time and energy tracking food.

Hunter gatherers could and often did stay in one location

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Swol? Like you mean muscle-bound? Pictures of modern hunter gatherers make them look lean and sinewy, not slabs of beef like bodybuilders.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

By school of thought you mean people on the paleo diet?

Just that we were at our physical peaks. If you judge a species' apex by their condition independent of surroundings (i.e. culture), we don't get much better than hunter-gathering humans.

Disease wasn't even as bad since a lot of the really awful ones came from domesticating animals. And that paleo diet did wonders for our dental health.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Senor Dog posted:

Hunter gatherers could and often did stay in one location

Regardless, they were all steam rolled by the agricultural revolution.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6j45vu/boyfriend_21m_and_i_20f_are_getting_kicked_out/

quote:

Backstory: Early February I got an "at home" job that seemed extremely legit and that promised me $3000/month, I quit both my part time jobs and did this for a month until I realized it was a scam and no pay was coming. At this point I was still living with parents, and within the same week of finding out it was a scam, things happened (as they always did with my parents) and I had 10 days to be out of their house.

Also, to note, my boyfriend and I were planning on moving out with that $3000 a month and he quit both his jobs ALSO to help me manage this job.

We also got into an accident that caused him to lose his license back in January 2016 so he yet to get it back. He just finished his classes and got the paperwork for DMV a few days ago. Now he needs insurance and to pay for his renewal which is going to be hella expensive. So we will eventually get to that.

On the 10th day I moved to my aunt's house, started working a full-time job ($11/hr) with her husband within a few days and also got a car within the same month.
*I now have a $330 car payment plus $160 of insurance to pay monthly with my minimum wage salary and that's just my insurance for now. *

I was living with her, but thing's started getting weird after her husband guaranteed my boyfriend a job also as soon as he got his license, but later went back on his word and basically said nevermind. Plus, they had weird rules about not being able to enjoy our weekends going camping or anything because they wanted me to focus on work, and about teaching me morals that my parents never taught me - basically trying to parent me when we originally made it clear that I just needed a place to stay.

This is when I got frustrated and made the choice to live in my car. Ive been sleeping in my boyfriend's driveway with his moms consent (She offered me their living room but I dont want to ask or use too much, just their driveway and bathroom) basically waiting so we can pay for his license so he can get a job.
THING IS, he just got kicked out today. Hes packing his things as we speak (as I type) Meaning I also just got kicked out.
Important points:

We have nowhere to stay (no family that is available to either of us and I can't go back to my parents house and deal with emotional abuse again)
I have $5 to my name at the moment (getting paid tomorrow $675

My boyfriend doesn't have a job - he has been trying on indeed every day but everything full-time and stable requires a license.

To get his license, it's gonna be who knows how much for his insurance including an SR-22, plus the renewal is going to be AT LEAST $100

We have a VW Golf meaning there's not much room

We can't stay anywhere too far because I work in Inglewood

At the end of the day after food for both of us, gas, laundry, credit card payments, insurance & car I have about $100-150 usually by the time I get paid again (every two weeks)

This was just a hard few weeks with unexpected expenses.

This will not even get us a motel let alone a room to rent. Plus I assume now we're going to have to get a gym membership to be able to shower.

Any advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Okay I was going to say that has to be fake, but then I read Inglewood and fukken lol, it's 99% likely real.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Krispy Kareem posted:

Just that we were at our physical peaks. If you judge a species' apex by their condition independent of surroundings (i.e. culture), we don't get much better than hunter-gathering humans.

Disease wasn't even as bad since a lot of the really awful ones came from domesticating animals. And that paleo diet did wonders for our dental health.

Specifically what culture in particular are you talking about? The fossil record doesn't show Paleolithic men as healthy beasts, and there isn't a single "paleo man" (humans in America lived different than in Africa and so on).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Humanity peaked in the 1980's. Hair was big, the dollar was strong, and electronic music filled the air!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Emphatically. Shellfish hunting has to be one of the least poetic versions of hunting though.

And so the brave hunter stalked these mollusks through the tidal flats, braving sunlight and the beast's sharp shell to bring home a meal for their starving family.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If they had shellfish allergies then it made them the bravest of hunters. Epipens didn't really exist back then. Well, they did, but the only firm providing them were outside of paleoman's HMO so who could afford them?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

crazypeltast52 posted:

Emphatically. Shellfish hunting has to be one of the least poetic versions of hunting though.

And so the brave hunter stalked these mollusks through the tidal flats, braving sunlight and the beast's sharp shell to bring home a meal for their starving family.
More like the man was hungry so he walked outside, picked some mussels off the rocks nearby and dumped them in his wife's lap and grunted.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Going crabbing is GWM. This is not:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6j2o0z/new_to_me_car_stolen_did_not_have_comprehensive/ posted:

New (to me) car stolen. Did not have comprehensive insurance. Do I have any recourse? (self.personalfinance)

Hi everyone,

Two months ago I bought a used 2014 Subaru Outback with about 50,000 miles on it for ~$19,000 cash. I expected the car to last me 10 years or longer. Last weekend the car was stolen. I only had the cheapest liability insurance on it and the insurance company informed me that none of the cost of the car would be covered.

Do I have any options for recovering some of the value of that car?
What should I do now? Does it make sense to buy another car? I could afford, barely, to buy another car, but I can't really stomach the thought of spending that much money again.

I have reported it to the police, searched my city for it, searched for parking citations, etc, etc and will continue to do so. The police don't seem to care very much about stolen cars and I'm not too sure what my other options are for recovering it or some of its value.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What can you do to lose your license from a car accident? Uninsured, DUI/DWI? He now needs an SR22 so he did something.

Sounds like her family is crazy people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

Specifically what culture in particular are you talking about? The fossil record doesn't show Paleolithic men as healthy beasts, and there isn't a single "paleo man" (humans in America lived different than in Africa and so on).

I'm not talking about culture. Just physical conditioning. Recent stuff seems to indicate old hunter gathering man was surprisingly healthy.

Obviously culturally mankind is exponentially superior now. What with anime and horses and all.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Horses are the ultimate manifestation of man's technological prowess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Going crabbing is GWM. This is not:

I'd bet one conch shell that it was stolen by the people he bought it from.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

What can you do to lose your license from a car accident? Uninsured, DUI/DWI? He now needs an SR22 so he did something.

In my state, at least:

WA State posted:

You can face suspensions from both the Washington DOL and from criminal convictions, such as:
60 days if you receive 6 moving violations within 12 months.
90 days to 4 years if you are convicted of a DUI.
90 days to 2 years if you're arrested for a DUI.
30 days if you are convicted of reckless driving.

So, pick your poison.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, punished for a DUI arrest without conviction? That's some real good due process right there.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
BWM thread: We're gonna argue prehistory cultures like we read Snow Crash for the first time to make a point.

Substitute "Guns, Germs and Steel" for "Snow Crash" if you like.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

NancyPants posted:

When I hear a story where someone accuses everyone they interact with of being unreasonable and malicious, I usually assume the story teller is actually the one causing all the problems and so far it's been a pretty safe bet.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

Horses are the ultimate manifestation of man's technological prowess.

Millennia of careful genetic engineering to make the perfect transport/warfare animal machine, now the perfect money sink and source of many's ultimate undoing

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

OctaviusBeaver posted:

When I hear a story where someone accuses everyone they interact with of being unreasonable and malicious, I usually assume the story teller is actually the one causing all the problems and so far it's been a pretty safe bet.
"If one person is an rear end in a top hat, you met an rear end in a top hat. If everyone around you is an rear end in a top hat, you're the rear end in a top hat" - Ancient internet proverb

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Haifisch posted:

"If one person is an rear end in a top hat, you met an rear end in a top hat. If everyone around you is an rear end in a top hat, you're the rear end in a top hat" - Ancient internet proverb

Something something don't sign your posts

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm not that old, geez.

Content:

Haven't paid for electricity for 10 months and nothing has happened

quote:

not 100% sure this is the right subreddit, but whatevs

so, recently I started living in a college apartment with my boyfriend, and in the first month our landlord sent us an email telling us to make an account with the energy company so we can pay for electricity (all other utilities are included with rent).

We just... forgot to make an account. We haven't paid electricity since we moved in and our lease ends in August. Our landlord hasn't contacted us about it, the energy company hasn't contacted us about it, we asked him to make sure all required payments have been made, and he said yes.

So now we don't know what to do. Is this legal? How do we pay? should we pay? How do we know if we're in the

clear?

thank you.

EDIT: RENT INCLUDES ELECTRICITY, WE ARE NOT VERY KEEN ACTUALLY DUMB
If only there was some sort of rent contract they could read, so they could have known from the start whether they were supposed to pay electric or not.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Haifisch posted:

I'm not that old, geez.

Content:

Haven't paid for electricity for 10 months and nothing has happened

If only there was some sort of rent contract they could read, so they could have known from the start whether they were supposed to pay electric or not.

I mean, to be fair, the LL told them to make an account.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Reading the lease would at least let them know whether they actually had to pay electric or if the landlord was trying to pull a fast one on them/got confused/whatever. And also let them avoid the "poo poo, we haven't paid the electric bill for months, how hosed are we??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ixian posted:

BWM thread: We're gonna argue prehistory cultures like we read Snow Crash for the first time to make a point.

Substitute "Guns, Germs and Steel" for "Snow Crash" if you like.

You're right this thread was much better when you were talking about 70k TVs