Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Robobrows agreed immediately worn her, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Juliette must devote a lot of her time to hair care.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Hair care, espionage, and covert robot love. A full life.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samuringa posted:

Robots never lie

Half the robots never lie; the rest never tell the truth.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Every time it's mentioned that THE COURT KNOWS EVERYTHING it always baffles me that yet they do gently caress all to avoid poo poo. Maybe, maybe, this will turn out to be a "It was all part of their plan" but for omnipresent authority figures they sure suck at actually doing anything.

The impression that I get from the comic is that the current state of the Court is that they're nowhere as powerful as they once were and pretty much rely on tradition and old tech to keep things running.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How do you post an attached image?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah lmao at Basil just casually chilling in that dramatic last panel

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

How do you post an attached image?

It takes a minute or so for it to show up.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Samuringa posted:

Every time it's mentioned that THE COURT KNOWS EVERYTHING it always baffles me that yet they do gently caress all to avoid poo poo. Maybe, maybe, this will turn out to be a "It was all part of their plan" but for omnipresent authority figures they sure suck at actually doing anything.

The impression that I get from the comic is that the current state of the Court is that they're nowhere as powerful as they once were and pretty much rely on tradition and old tech to keep things running.

They seem like they were founded on this idea of creating a world that's a giant (metaphorical and literal) machine totally under their control but haven't actually managed to get there. IDK that they're in decline, there hasn't been much to suggest that anything was really better in the old days (except that the robots were more elaborate), they've just always been understaffed for their ridiculously ambitious goals and, like, how well has establishing a gigantic high-tech secret police panopticon worked out for the US

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 21, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

IUG posted:

It takes a minute or so for it to show up.

Is that a Minotaur pun? It should be, if it isn't!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It is now!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

They seem like they were founded on this idea of creating a world that's a giant (metaphorical and literal) machine totally under their control but haven't actually managed to get there. IDK that they're in decline, there hasn't been much to suggest that anything was really better in the old days (except that the robots were more elaborate), they've just always been understaffed for their ridiculously ambitious goals and, like, how well has establishing a gigantic high-tech secret police panopticon worked out for the US

Miles and miles of empty buildings are gonna feel like decline (even if most of those buildings were never occupied in the first place).

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Miles and miles of empty buildings are gonna feel like decline (even if most of those buildings were never occupied in the first place).
Was it ever established whether or not the Court ever stopped growing?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samuringa posted:

Every time it's mentioned that THE COURT KNOWS EVERYTHING it always baffles me that yet they do gently caress all to avoid poo poo.

Information overload. The Court is still human people. Having a lot of information doesn't mean reading it, and interpreting it, and correlating with other.

Arthur and Juliette probably only knows about Kat's experiments because Arthur heard about it from other robots, who knew about it because Robot is preaching the cult of Angel Kat.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's not really clear whether the Court is really short on personnel or embarrassingly flush with empty buildings. (I'm inclined to believe in the latter, because their recruitment program seems pretty lackadaisical.)

Also, uh, isn't that fourth Shadow Man Jones?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Well, she is the Wandering Eye...

(Also, she was there; http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=719)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hremsfeld posted:

Stop linking to old chapters! Some people have work to do!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hremsfeld posted:

Man I miss Zimmy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Court isn't a big monster that does as it pleases. It's a collection of people, working to do what they think is right.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

so was every dictatorship

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This isn't the kind of comic where a big elaborate sting operation would be concealed from the reader.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Bongo Bill posted:

This isn't the kind of comic where a big elaborate sting operation would be concealed from the reader.
What about a hammily-acted bait-and-switch sting by two bored and lonely bureaucrats? :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh man is Kat about to find out about Robot's cult?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Or maybe Arthur will suffer an accident just before spilling the beans.

Or this is just a fake out.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh man is Kat about to find out about Robot's cult?

I think there's a good chance this guy is in Robot's cult, so won't spill any beans Robot doesn't want spilled.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's not like they are keeping it a secret, they constantly call her "angel" and speak about how they feel about her and what she's going to do, her lack of knowledge about her cult is more self-inflicted than anything.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Mulva posted:

It's not like they are keeping it a secret, they constantly call her "angel" and speak about how they feel about her and what she's going to do, her lack of knowledge about her cult is more self-inflicted than anything.

Eh, I don't know. Being aware that the robots like her is one thing. Knowing her friend has gone full on cultist and actively proseliting for his cult is another.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ditocoaf posted:

I think there's a good chance this guy is in Robot's cult, so won't spill any beans Robot doesn't want spilled.

They did share a look in the third-from-last panel today.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

wdarkk posted:

They did share a look in the third-from-last panel today.

Plus he's in the last panel as one of the many 'bots saying it was worth it.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Mulva posted:

To be fair, in the ether she literally is a machine angel. She seems to be the only one that doesn't notice her angel form.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

OgreNoah posted:

To be fair, in the ether she literally is a machine angel. She seems to be the only one that doesn't notice her angel form.
That's everyone else's fault. Kat sees manacled elfboy as manacled elfboy. Kat sees tiny room with VCR as tiny room with VCR. Kat sees Kat as Kat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mulva posted:

Kat is not aware that the entire Whaleship adventure was Robot's plan, up to and including the S-series being cast out. That aspect alone would be quite damning information.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Robot deliberately planned it? I thought it just kind of happened, then he and the rest of the cult just rejoiced at Kat's divine wrath and the casting out of those other robots.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Galvanik posted:

Robot deliberately planned it? I thought it just kind of happened, then he and the rest of the cult just rejoiced at Kat's divine wrath and the casting out of those other robots.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1450

And the next page. The ones rejoicing with Robot were the ones cast out. It was all part of Robot's plan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's even possible that the ship's claims of love were part of the ruse and that it died for the cause. :ohdear:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

maswastaken posted:

That's everyone else's fault. Kat sees manacled elfboy as manacled elfboy. Kat sees tiny room with VCR as tiny room with VCR. Kat sees Kat as Kat.

It's the Ether, so both views are equally valid. Kat's happens just to be more goal oriented.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So the lady wants to transfer into a robot right?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, did we get an update 24 hours early?

I really got confused for a moment, started thinking the weekend was over and wondering why I wasn't seeing all the other comics that usually update on Sunday night or the first minute of Monday. (It helps that I have a weird and inconsistent work schedule, so weekends are basically meaningless).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Nope it's Monday. Hope you didn't get fired for not showing up at work. I don't really know why Tom would release an update early. He's usually really consistent. Probably a little bug in the system.

They will coordinate this kinda badly. Juliet becomes a robot, while her boyfriend turns fleshy. Afterwards he is forced to follow the regulations and mock her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ditocoaf posted:

Wait, did we get an update 24 hours early?

I really got confused for a moment, started thinking the weekend was over and wondering why I wasn't seeing all the other comics that usually update on Sunday night or the first minute of Monday. (It helps that I have a weird and inconsistent work schedule, so weekends are basically meaningless).

Came here about the same thing. Suddenly confused about what day of the week it is...