Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

s.i.r.e. posted:

How's Dying Light? I'm looking for some fun 4 player co-op with friends and I heard it's pretty solid for that.

Dying light is super bad. Like shoot a grappling hook out of your hand like spider man, bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just smdh at people who can't find the joy in drop-kicking a zombie off a building.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I now own METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE on 3 platforms. I need help.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

You say it like it's a bad thing

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

I bought Rocket League twice on PS4, got it for free during the PS+ month, bought it for PC last year, re-bought a bunch of DLC, and I'll likely be getting it for the Switch. :getin:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

To add another voice to the pile, I absolutely adore Gungeon and getting good at it has been incredibly satisfying, but I don't really care much for Nuclear Throne.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks for the Dying Light recommendations. I guess I'm gonna buy 4 copies now.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I haven't played ground zeroes or MGS5 at all, would MGS5 be a good pick for 23.99 canadian beaver tails? I've heard that it's a little scatter brained and there is an hour before the game really starts. I don't really care about the extras or grounds zeroes so I'll be getting the base version.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^^^ Yes. MGSV is STILL a great game, even after Konami tried to ruin it.

Tenzarin posted:

Dying light is super bad. Like shoot a grappling hook out of your hand like spider man, bad.

I have never played that game, but you are literally the first person I've ever seen with something negative to say about that game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

PantsBandit posted:

Just smdh at people who can't find the joy in drop-kicking a zombie off a building.

i feel like i could find joy in that for roughly 3 hours and then i would be pretty bored

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Penpal posted:

I haven't played ground zeroes or MGS5 at all, would MGS5 be a good pick for 23.99 canadian beaver tails? I've heard that it's a little scatter brained and there is an hour before the game really starts. I don't really care about the extras or grounds zeroes so I'll be getting the base version.

MGS5 is a great game with some deep, deep flaws when it comes to story telling and pacing. The core stealth gameplay though is world-class, so if you're at all into the genre it's an easy recommendation.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i feel like i could find joy in that for roughly 3 hours and then i would be pretty bored

What if I told you that drop-kicking a zombie off a building is the tip of the gory iceberg when it comes to hilarious ways you can humiliate and massacre zombies?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have never played that game, but you are literally the first person I've ever seen with something negative to say about that game.

I took screenshots so I would never forget, might be better if you play it as a dumb coop game. Remember that they split off of the Dead Island group to do a "serious story based" zombie game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Butter Hole posted:

I bought Prey last night based on internet hypes and I'm not sure about it. The atmosphere is cool, and the story is interesting so far, but the combat seems wonkey and floatey. The gameplay seems like a search-through-drawers and manage-your-inventory simulator. I dislike the fallout/elders scroll games and it's reminding me of those in a bad way. Should I stick it out? I may ask for a refund (if you're under 2 hours you can do that yes?)

On another note, what are the best coop/multiplayer games on sale? A buddy and I are looking for something to play. We're pretty open minded when it comes to games but the games we've played the most over the past few years are blizzard games (HOTS, SC2, Overwatch). I'm thinking about earth defense force to change it up and try something co-op for once.

I mean, if you are looking for a straight up shooter it's not for you. But you can minimize inventory management by just pumping the OP powers. bullet damage and the slowdown power maxed just mulches things on normal. the combat's never going to be 'great', but it can be minimized if you really dislike it and like the story enough to keep going.

for what it's worth it's my favourite environment in any game ever. everything makes sense and has a place, it feels like an actual real space station's layout might be. its worth playing just for that imo

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

PantsBandit posted:

MGS5 is a great game with some deep, deep flaws when it comes to story telling and pacing. The core stealth gameplay though is world-class, so if you're at all into the genre it's an easy recommendation.

MGS5 has ruined all other stealth games for me. The biggest hurdle was getting used to keyboard and mouse controls in a game clearly designed for a gamepad, but once it clicked I was hooked.

Just ignore the dumb-rear end story.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm on the fence about getting Prey nice to hear some negatives about it.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

The Walrus posted:

I mean, if you are looking for a straight up shooter it's not for you. But you can minimize inventory management by just pumping the OP powers. bullet damage and the slowdown power maxed just mulches things on normal. the combat's never going to be 'great', but it can be minimized if you really dislike it and like the story enough to keep going.

for what it's worth it's my favourite environment in any game ever. everything makes sense and has a place, it feels like an actual real space station's layout might be. its worth playing just for that imo

I like exploration focused games and the environment does seem pretty cool. I didn't want a straight up shooter, I just didn't expect that to actively detract from the gameplay. Maybe once I unlock some more powers I'll get into it more.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is Dungeon Souls any good?" Or is the tag line just bunch of mish-mash comparing itself to actual good games?

Butter Hole posted:

I like exploration focused games and the environment does seem pretty cool. I didn't want a straight up shooter, I just didn't expect that to actively detract from the gameplay. Maybe once I unlock some more powers I'll get into it more.

Prey gets a ton better once you unlock powers and find the various weapons. Make sure to explore! You can get a lot of stuff early by looking around.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I dunno, I thought it had a lot of problems! The parkour was pretty satisfying, but the stamina limits were way too harsh early on (until they disappear entirely later!), and there really wasn't a lot of incentive to focus on optimizing your lines--just going in a straight line and climbing over whatever was in your way was basically good enough. The Following totally screwed it up with the way less interesting buggy mechanics all but replacing parkour. It was kind of nice as a change of pace for about an hour, but long overstayed its welcome.

Combat had a bunch of issues--zombie health is way too high and mostly seems to be an incentive to find a way to bypass it. There are a couple breakpoints where you access abilities (drop kick, stomp, unlocking the bow/Following's crossbow) that have a disproportionately huge impact on your play, so progression feels more like treading water until the game lets you have the good stuff rather than a smooth incline. And those breakpoints can take a long time to get to, because oops it's hard to get combat XP when your only reliable way to kill zombies is smacking them with a pipe for a minute straight.

And then there's Techland's signature mistreatment of women, non-white ethnicities, the mentally ill, etc. It's not as bad as, say, Dead Island, but it absolutely runs through the entire game. The most prominent female character mostly waits around for you do things, the one times she does act it's a huge problem you have to solve, and then at the end of her arc the writers start insisting there's romantic tension for seemingly no reason other than that the protagonist is a dude and she's the attractive female lead.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tenzarin posted:

buy, play for 1.5 hrs, refund if you dont like it.

Personally I find the complaints about combat weird and never had a problem, at least not in that it detracted from the game. Sure, its not Doom or Wolfenstein or Metro, but I thought it was fairly "good", and serviceable at the very worst. If someone can get through Bioshock 1/2/Infinte/SS2/HL2/deus ex/dishonoreds/whatever today, they'll have no problem getting through Prey's combat since its better than many that came before.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

Tenzarin posted:

Let me pile on then! I found Prey to be a massive disappointment. The first hour or two are top notch and the rest of the game just fails to live up to the promise of the first two hours with initial reveal and creeping around Mimics. The game devolves into a lot of less than engaging sidequests that pad the game out and I found it to be very easy and shallow after you get a few upgrades (playing on the hardest difficulty). The design of the station is probably the best part, it feels lived in and I liked the fact that you could find every crew member's corpse and it sets the stage for some of the best moments where I'd read an email that stuck out and then find the author dead in a corner on the other side of the station. Too bad the actual plot of the game is flat beyond the worldbuilding (cinched by a terrible underwhelming ending). It's not garbage by any means but probably my biggest regret purchase this year.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: ^^^ Yes. MGSV is STILL a great game, even after Konami tried to ruin it.

More like Kojima couldn't finish anything in time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

buy, play for 1.5 hrs, refund if you dont like it.

Personally I find the complaints about combat weird and never had a problem, at least not in that it detracted from the game. Sure, its not Doom or Wolfenstein or Metro, but I thought it was fairly "good", and serviceable at the very worst. If someone can get through Bioshock 1/2/Infinte/SS2/HL2/deus ex/dishonoreds/whatever today, they'll have no problem getting through Prey's combat since its better than many that came before.

The combat is better than the combat in Bioshock infinite?

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

Palpek posted:

People who liked Stanley Parable and Beginner's Guide should give Jazzpunk a try. It's hilarious.

Any other recommendations for someone who's played and enjoyed all three?

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

Invader Zym posted:

Any other recommendations for someone who's played and enjoyed all three?

Although it's extremely short, Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist has that same vibe. Even better: it's free!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

too much dead rat posted:

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
take that you silly named japanese games

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Prey is the sort of game where you'll get as much out of it as you put into it. Be patient. Be observant. Think about whether you even have to engage enemies at a particular moment.

The combat is the game's weakest area, but it's not the focus unless you make it. I saw enemies more as a deterrent to rash exploration that pressured my resources and kept me on my toes, rather than being the main draw. It's not an action game like Dishonored.

It also means you probably won't like it if you're not in the right mood/mindset.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Picked up Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, the Crimson Court, and Trails in the Sky SC. May pick up a few more things before the sale ends, but I'm nearing the end of my budget.

Played some Dead Cells last night and this morning, and it's one of those games where it just feels good to run around chopping up bad guys, which is exactly what you want from a game of this type. Highly recommend.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Whats the deal with these loving stickers, can I sell them or do they give me anything worthwhile?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they are completely loving worthless and useless

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this is the first summer sale gimmick that i am just going to completely ignore

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Are any of the Fallout 4 DLCs worth getting?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Decided to pick up Revengence, Metro Redux Bundle, Dying Light Enahnced, Planescape Torment Enhanced, Walking Dead Season 3 and Death Road to Canada. Anything else I should consider?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

More like Kojima couldn't finish anything in time.

No, I mean that after launch they patched in a bunch of hosed up and bad poo poo. Like there was a gun to research that took 72 hours. Real-time. In-game. Not one of those "72 hours but even when you're not playing it counts down" things. Literally 72 hours in-game. That wouldn't have even been okay had it been in at launch, but the fact that it came out after I was 90% done with the game and you can't cancel research so I was STUCK with that in a slot is bad. And then the microtransactions and the Clash Of Clans style base stuff that they slowly shifted emphasis onto.

It launched an incomplete piece of poo poo with some of the best core gameplay mechanics of the year. But they made it into a disgusting product that was an insult to Kojima's overambitious work on the thing.

And, all that said, it's STILL a loving phenomenal game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mr E posted:

Are any of the Fallout 4 DLCs worth getting?

Automatron is fun if you like building robot buddies. And Far Harbor actually has a good looking setting and atmosphere.

Nuka World is pretty much garbage. Ditto the workshop DLCs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

dromal phrenia posted:

Consensus on SoM from what I've seen is that it's very fun if you like to make your own fun. Just trying to play the game as well as possible, never die, kill things in the most efficient / effortless way and it's pretty bland. But if you intentionally avoid going for the most overpowered options, take full advantage of loving around with the nemesis system, brand orcs once it's available and maybe even intentionally die (or at least play risky) you get a lot of fun.

Yeah, I would say get few if any upgrades, because there's a point where they take you from having to strategically fight orcs to effortlessly slaughtering them by the dozens.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No, I mean that after launch they patched in a bunch of hosed up and bad poo poo. Like there was a gun to research that took 72 hours. Real-time. In-game. Not one of those "72 hours but even when you're not playing it counts down" things. Literally 72 hours in-game. That wouldn't have even been okay had it been in at launch, but the fact that it came out after I was 90% done with the game and you can't cancel research so I was STUCK with that in a slot is bad. And then the microtransactions and the Clash Of Clans style base stuff that they slowly shifted emphasis onto.

It launched an incomplete piece of poo poo with some of the best core gameplay mechanics of the year. But they made it into a disgusting product that was an insult to Kojima's overambitious work on the thing.

And, all that said, it's STILL a loving phenomenal game.

It's insane how good the gameplay is. Possibly some of the best gameplay ever, let alone in the Metal Gear series. But the story and pacing and weird rear end microtransaction poo poo that sits ontop of it just kind of hamper everything for me. I'd say get it for cheap, along with Ground Zeroes and pace yourself.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dead cells might be my goty and I'm really excited to see what they add. I'm terrible at it, and have about 15 hours played. Even though I have some bug that makes the game stutter every few seconds that they can't seem to fix I still end up playing a few runs every night.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

stupid indie rogueli* recs

already been said, but dead cells is cheaper on bundlestars than steam. https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/dead-cells

asura is a really fun isometric hack'n'slash with some procgen elements, based on Indian mythology. the skill tree is randomized from a set pool every run, and you can't see available skills until you're on level (except on easy mode). so you have to weigh absorbing xp from enemies you kill, or looting them for money and potential equipment or consumable drops. http://store.steampowered.com/app/524640/Asura/

it's not on sale, but Nongünz is one of my favourite games of the year, so far. the controls are super tight, and there are some really fun interactions between powerups. good soundtrack and rad art. http://store.steampowered.com/app/633130/Nongnz/

going back a number of pages, but; stop recommending ikaruga to people, pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
So In my current wishlist I have:

Fable Anniversary (75% off at 7.50)- Is this HD update work it and does the game hold up? I remember playing the series when they came out and liking all of them.

Technobabylon (3.75)- This was on there for awhile and can't remember why I added it but it seemed pretty cool.

The Signal From Tolva (13.99) - Looks really fun, but is only 30% off during the sale so might pass.

This War of Mine (3.99) - Saw it on the discovery queue and it looked really good.

Depth (4.99) - Recommend in this thread and looked fun, about 1200 in game when I checked it so mostly just wondering if that is a spike due to the steam sale or if it's possible to drop in and find groups most of the time.

Resident Evil 7 (35.99) - Looks good and price probably won't drop much more anytime soon.

Dying Light (23.99) - Since I spent over a hundred hours playing co-op on the Dead Island games, this seems like a much better version of a co-op zombie shooter.

We are the Dwarves (6.79) - Anyone played this? The concept seems good and it has good reviews on GMG, but this is the first I've heard of it.

Any advice on if I should or shouldn't get any of these would be great. Seen the stuff about dying light already, just wondering what people that played the dead island games and stuff like far cry series and liked them would recommend it.

• Locked thread