Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Baronjutter posted:

When you have a huge house you really feel you need to fill it, often with garbage. It's always shocking to me just how much poo poo people manage to hoard as part of the typical middle class lifestyle. Families of 3-4 with 3,000 sqft houses that can't park in their garages because there's soooo much poo poo they've collected. Their kids don't just have bedrooms they have a designated play room because they have so many toys they can't all fit in one room. Dad has his "man cave" with a huge TV and bar setup, there's also a family room with a huge TV setup as well, plus a TV in the kitchen and all bedrooms, all with digital cable boxes and PVR's and poo poo. There's a formal dining room no one ever uses, but it needs to be fully furnished. The kitchen is huge, there are so many appliances. Every possible bulky single-use kitchen tool imaginable is stored somewhere in these dozens of cabinets, all to be used once or twice a year, if ever at all. There's a boat and trailer a ton of fishing poo poo, and a motorcycle and related poo poo, and there's 3 cars some how and a bunch of car related tools but no one in the house actually works on the cars. Everyone has 20 hobbies and all the related gear and supplies but many aren't touched for years at a time.

And this was just the standard model middle class boomers followed. You bought a house, you filled it to bursting with stuff, then you'd trade up to a bigger house and fill it with even more stuff. They had the income, the floor space, and the stability to do this. People now don't have any of those, they also don't have as much free time. So no poo poo they're going to buy a lot less and buy things online, saving them time.

My wife and I bought a large-ish house in the boondocks 40 minutes from my office. It's almost 3,000 sqft, but we paid less than $200k for it. It's got basic furniture, such as a couch and a big TV in the family room, couch and chair in the formal living room, dining table and chairs, our bedroom furniture, kids furniture, etc. We don't have 1000 knicknacks cluttering 4-5 buffet tables and coffee tables all over the house. It's downright austere really. We love it. The kids have plenty of room to play, and they have more toys than anyone else in the family. We bought everything used except the living room furniture and TV (cash for the TV, couch on 0% credit at the furniture store and fully covered by warranty).

Our parents, by contrast, have poo poo in every corner of the house. My father-in-law has a garage filled to the ceiling (my mother-in-law is a terrible hoarder). My parents have so much furniture you can't walk in a straight line through their house. My parents also rent for 400/mo more than we pay for our mortgage.

The contrast between us and our parents is flat out amazing. We have good stability due to my job as a brogrammer; wife stays home with the baby while I take the toddler to daycare (which OMG is expensive, but I can cover it with my bougie income).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I went to a party at a crazy person's house once and I swear there was poo poo and knicknacks covering every loving surface in the goddamn house. I have no idea how anyone lives like that, it would drive me mad.

It wasn't even untidy, which is something that can happen to my place out of sheer laziness -- there was a distinct feeling that everything was very much in the place it was intended to be.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My dad can't move because of two reasons:

1) his house lost a ton of value in the crash

2) he cant move to the west coast because he can't find a house that is both big enough and cheap enough for all his poo poo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

anonumos posted:

My wife and I bought a large-ish house in the boondocks 40 minutes from my office. It's almost 3,000 sqft, but we paid less than $200k for it. It's got basic furniture, such as a couch and a big TV in the family room, couch and chair in the formal living room, dining table and chairs, our bedroom furniture, kids furniture, etc. We don't have 1000 knicknacks cluttering 4-5 buffet tables and coffee tables all over the house. It's downright austere really. We love it. The kids have plenty of room to play, and they have more toys than anyone else in the family. We bought everything used except the living room furniture and TV (cash for the TV, couch on 0% credit at the furniture store and fully covered by warranty).

Our parents, by contrast, have poo poo in every corner of the house. My father-in-law has a garage filled to the ceiling (my mother-in-law is a terrible hoarder). My parents have so much furniture you can't walk in a straight line through their house. My parents also rent for 400/mo more than we pay for our mortgage.

The contrast between us and our parents is flat out amazing. We have good stability due to my job as a brogrammer; wife stays home with the baby while I take the toddler to daycare (which OMG is expensive, but I can cover it with my bougie income).

Your kids are tiny still so you might not have thought about this yet, but do you and your wife think about intentionally raising them to be non-consumerist? I don't have kids yet but a lot of my friends do and there's definitely a noticeable trend towards shutting out all possible forms of advertisement and even not taking them on shopping trips where they're likely to ask for things. And gift-free birthday parties are a (welcome) trend around here.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Can't wait to see the weird racist take you come up with for this topic.

I'm not a racist in the least. I'm not even white.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yeah. Landlords are just choosing to charge less for no reason.

The fact is, where I live minimum wage is $8.50. Most places from fast food to grocery stores start at $10 a hour. Aldi's pays $12 an hour - and they're currently hiring. Warehouse Jobs pay a bit more usually around $14-$20 an hour.

at minimum wage you make around $1180 a month, at $10 you make about $1320 a month.

That gives you $350-$400 a month to pay rent - if you go by the 30% rule. Which is doable if you have a room-mate as usually you can get 2 bedrooms here for about $100 to $150 more than a 1 bed room apartment. I know for a fact there are some apartments around here that go for $450-$500.

Comparably in New York your take home page if your minimum wage is $15 (And that's a big IF. My wife has a Aunt who lives in New York and works as a Caretaker and still only makes $10 a hour) your take home pay is $1868 a month. That gives you $560 for a apartment on a 30% rule.

Now I'm looking at Hotpads average rent guidance and picking the cheapest flat out 1 bed/bath in NYC. It's like $1,150. Hotpads tells me that's $300 under average market price for the neighborhood (which is out near hempstead middle of nowhere) and $655 less than average for all of NYC. Let's take that earlier figure so $1,450 average rent for a 1b/b in NYC. Your $560 is 38% of average rent in the City for a 1 bed and bath.

Out here if I look a $750 apartment it's telling me its $75 more than average for a 1br/bath. At $8.50 that's 52% of the cost of that unit. At $10 it's 65%.

Your purchasing power in the sticks or burbs in the south or midwest - even earning minimum wage is much higher than in New York City.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Your kids are tiny still so you might not have thought about this yet, but do you and your wife think about intentionally raising them to be non-consumerist? I don't have kids yet but a lot of my friends do and there's definitely a noticeable trend towards shutting out all possible forms of advertisement and even not taking them on shopping trips where they're likely to ask for things. And gift-free birthday parties are a (welcome) trend around here.

That's a great trend, along with the trend of people teaching kids consent from a very early age.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Wait why do you have roommates in the sticks but you live alone in NYC?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

That's a great trend, along with the trend of people teaching kids consent from a very early age.

Yeah! The world gets better in small ways :unsmith:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah! The world gets better in small ways :unsmith:

I really do believe the children are the future, hopefully we haven't killed the planet by the time they're ready to get to work at making it a better place.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Your friends are really cool. That's seriously a great trend, and I hope it's something that's happening on a wider scale.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

BrandorKP posted:

Luxury shipping container home starting at $350,000. A real thing.

Does the container get set down on dry land or this one of those "You don't have to pay taxes as long as you spend more than half a year on the open sea!" offers?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Double post due to User Error.

Xae fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 23, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Anything that gets trendy gets expensive. Right now small houses are it. There are a couple of cottage style homes in the neighborhood that are going for as much as the surrounding much larger post war tract housing.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

I wouldn't say they are consumerist, though the baby isn't very interested in anything other than his pacifier and the toddler (turning two in July) is still too young to go running through the aisles tossing things in the cart. I hope we can help them both learn to be happy with basic things, and I think we can because my wife and I are like that. We prefer to spend time with the family over retiring to our own corner of the house and vegetating. It remains to be seen.

While I mention that the toys outnumber our other possessions, they are almost all educational or otherwise spur development. In other words what "stuff" we have is meant to help the boys grow, not just distract and pacify them.

Anyway, we'll know when as the toddler grows up. Hopefully, they won't be begging for the latest Tamagachi/petrock/Pokemon Fucia crap like kids I knew growing up did.

Edit: I'm trying to remember the most expensive toy we've bought for them. I can't think of anything that cost more than $40.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 23, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It gets really really hard when kids get into school and become aware of class, it's specially rough on girls. If you don't have the latest phone, the hot brand, the new boots, some hair scrunchie that's so hot this month, some stupid bracelet all the other cool girls have, whatever it's loving random, but you don't have it you get hella bullied. Boys need the latest video game poo poo, but there's far less pressure/judgement on clothing and accessories.

I have a few friends with daughters and it's hard on them to balance being anti-consumer with their kids being able to fully fit-in in school. One had a real hard time with bullying based on perceived class, the other got lucky and ended up with very confident girls that don't give a gently caress and have enough similar friends that the peer pressure isn't so strong. I think the big difference is one sends her kid to a "good school" full of rich kids, while the other just goes to the closest neighbourhood school.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

anonumos posted:

I wouldn't say they are consumerist, though the baby isn't very interested in anything other than his pacifier and the toddler (turning two in July) is still too young to go running through the aisles tossing things in the cart. I hope we can help them both learn to be happy with basic things, and I think we can because my wife and I are like that. We prefer to spend time with the family over retiring to our own corner of the house and vegetating. It remains to be seen.

While I mention that the toys outnumber our other possessions, they are almost all educational or otherwise spur development. In other words what "stuff" we have is meant to help the boys grow, not just distract and pacify them.

Anyway, we'll know when as the toddler grows up. Hopefully, they won't be begging for the latest Tamagachi/petrock/Pokemon Fucia crap like kids I knew growing up did.

Edit: I'm trying to remember the most expensive toy we've bought for them. I can't think of anything that cost more than $40.

Oh I hope I didn't come off as judgmental when I asked that! I know how toys are, they sneak into dark corners and multiply when the adults aren't looking. And I would never begrudge a kid a non-educational toy, because I'm not really sure there is such a thing. I used my troll dolls to act out international diplomacy :black101:

Mostly, full disclosure, I was trying to draw out cute baby stories.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Oh I hope I didn't come off as judgmental when I asked that! I know how toys are, they sneak into dark corners and multiply when the adults aren't looking. And I would never begrudge a kid a non-educational toy, because I'm not really sure there is such a thing. I used my troll dolls to act out international diplomacy :black101:

Mostly, full disclosure, I was trying to draw out cute baby stories.

Lately we put the baby in a step n play piano that our toddler used to love and I have a Facebook video of the baby lighting up with a huge grin.

https://m.bonanza.com/listings/litt...jhsuBoCkQ3w_wcB

We got ours for l about $40.

I can't add attachments with salastread for some reason.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 23, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always want a bigger place and a sense of stability because I'm big into model trains. We have two pretty good hobby shops that sell model train poo poo in town but I almost never go to them because what costs $50 shipped online costs $80 there. Or the 2nd shop has a rad old goth hippie owner but he doesn't carry much N scale stuff. Also the owners of the big store are reactionary arch-conservatives trying to rally the city to stop all bike lanes and subsidize more parking lots. So I end up ordering everything online, generally 2nd hand.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 23, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

anonumos posted:

Lately we put the baby in a step n play piano that our toddler used to love and I have a Facebook video of the baby lighting up with a huge grin.

https://m.bonanza.com/listings/litt...jhsuBoCkQ3w_wcB

We got ours for l about $40.

My future child will have nothing but toys inspired by Tom Hanks films. Hope u like volleyball, Infinitesimal Bronto

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Randler posted:

Does the container get set down on dry land or this one of those "You don't have to pay taxes as long as you spend more than half a year on the open sea!" offers?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...dvYOaHk6jDNwXSA

I can't find the manufacturer I was thinking of, but they were selling single 40' converted containers for 300,000+. It was a West Coast tiny home company. It was two ish years back that I saw it, I bet they went under and that's why I can't find it anymore.

Outside of the dumb rich. You can buy them and turn them into a cabin pretty easy and reasonably. But once you modify them they get hard to move. Modifications invalidate the csc plate and turn them into cargo that has to be put on a flat bed or flat rack to be shipped around.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 23, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If any of you get it into your heads to convert a container, please remove and replace the flooring. It's heavily treated with some rather nasty pesticides because of the Australians.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BrandorKP posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...dvYOaHk6jDNwXSA

I can't find the manufacturer I was thinking of, but they were selling single 40' converted containers for 300,000+. It was a West Coast tiny home company. It was two ish years back that I saw it, I bet they went under and that's why I can't find it anymore.

Outside of the dumb rich. You can buy them and turn them into a cabin pretty easy and reasonably. But once you modify them they get hard to move. Modifications invalidate the csc plate and turn them into cargo that has to be put on a flat bed or flat rack to be shipped around.

There is no reason besides having more money than sense to pay a quarter million dollars for a glorified ISO shipping container. You can rent the things for dollars per month or buy a nice one for a couple thousand, plus a few weeks' pay and materials for a couple guys to saw holes for windows/pipes and install insulation and furniture.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Lets see if I can turn this great big old ship back on course:

With the Sears closings, what do you think is the predicted day for Sears to go (really) bankrupt/cease operations/sell off to Amazon, or otherwise stop existing as a going concern?

My own guess is, since we are halfway through the year, that they are going to try to make it to the holiday shopping season, and see if they can somehow pick up business through that period. It would be really bad for malls to lose an anchor right before Christmas.

Since that probably won't work out, I am assuming that next January/February will be Sears finale.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

With the Sears closings, what do you think is the predicted day for Sears to go (really) bankrupt/cease operations/sell off to Amazon, or otherwise stop existing as a going concern?

My own guess is, since we are halfway through the year, that they are going to try to make it to the holiday shopping season, and see if they can somehow pick up business through that period. It would be really bad for malls to lose an anchor right before Christmas.

Since that probably won't work out, I am assuming that next January/February will be Sears finale.

I believe they have a big non-affiliated company (i.e., not one from Eddie Lampert's loans) principal payment due next June or July, so they'll definitely go under by then. I have doubts that they won't burn through their cash before then, so your January or February date is probably more accurate.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

blowfish posted:

There is no reason besides having more money than sense to pay a quarter million dollars for a glorified ISO shipping container. You can rent the things for dollars per month or buy a nice one for a couple thousand, plus a few weeks' pay and materials for a couple guys to saw holes for windows/pipes and install insulation and furniture.

Exactly, used (good condition) 20' can be 1500 to 2500. Used 40' 2000 to 4000. New or single use aren't much more frankly. It varys depending on the market and location.

They may get a whole lot cheaper if US retail collapses and international trade drops in volume. I've even seen them used to make multi story office buildings overseas in terminals.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

There is a growing trend towards strictly adhering to topic (more than in the past) on SA.

It's a good way to prevent thought, the margins and intersections are where the ideas that produce new concepts come from. It's good business to encourage deviants.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Please, as someone in the construction/development industry don't do shipping container housing. They are extremely not suited for it and end up giving you a cramped low-ceiling garbage space for just as much money as conventional construction. It's one of those things that sounds good but in practise does not work out. Use them as a backyard shed or some sort of out-building to store you ever-growing hoard of retail purchases, but please don't try to live in them.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Horseshoe theory posted:

I believe they have a big non-affiliated company (i.e., not one from Eddie Lampert's loans) principal payment due next June or July, so they'll definitely go under by then. I have doubts that they won't burn through their cash before then, so your January or February date is probably more accurate.

I'm assuming that creditors and landlords will give them some slack over the holiday period, especially malls, because the malls don't want to lose an anchor. But then afterwards, when the lull sets in, they are going to be in even more trouble.

I am also assuming that next January and February is when the lack of retail employment will start filtering through the economy. Unemployment is really low right now, but the continuing retail closures will probably start filtering through the market and become a more central economic story.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

I guess so. I'm 28 and a song about not deciding to rebel against the 1% (Royals) is not really something I want to hear. In fact it's the kind of thing on here that would get people asking for her head.

https://youtu.be/uwj8HJpH5Uc

Jack2142 posted:

Personally
-Edit-

To talk about retail, with Amazon buying out Whole Foods, I wonder how the New Seasons chain from Portland feels since they just started their expansion out of the Portland market into Seattle, with them opening at least one new location in Ballard, I hope this doesn't backfire because I actually preferred them to Whole Foods when I lived down in Portland and was excited about them moving up North.

Isnt that the nonunion chain? gently caress them

Paradoxish posted:

This is only tangentially related, but something to keep in mind when talking about moving is that the average person will only move about 11 times during their life, but 6 times by the time they turn thirty. In other words, most people are going to move more before they turn thirty than they will for the entire rest of their lives. Also, the wealthier you are, the less likely you are to move often. White people also move less often than other demographics, but that probably goes along with white people being wealthier on average.

Anyway, point is that moving a lot is really something you do when you're younger and poorer and less as you get older and wealthier. If that's becoming less true (the younger part, at least) now, then that's probably having a lot of knock on effects in other areas. Moving around for work or because rent is too expensive isn't something that people in their thirties were really expected to do in the past.

God having too much stuff sucks. My parents keep bugging me to take some fancy oak furniture they bought me like twenty years ago, but idgaf and they get pissy when I say I'd rather just get some $100 ikea POS wardrobe that I can just throw away the next time I move. This isnt the wagon train days, we don't need to haul fancy furniture with us across the country!

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 23, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

got any sevens posted:

https://youtu.be/uwj8HJpH5Uc

Isnt that the nonunion chain? gently caress them

God having too much stuff sucks. My parents keep bugging me to take some fancy oak furniture they bought me like twenty years ago, but idgaf and they get pissy when I say I'd rather just get some $100 ikea POS wardrobe that I can just throw away the next time I move. This isnt the wagon train days, we don't need to haul fancy furniture with us across the country!

I mean technically I will have moved 7-9 times by 30, even if all but 3 of those would just be into different college accomodation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Please, as someone in the construction/development industry don't do shipping container housing. They are extremely not suited for it and end up giving you a cramped low-ceiling garbage space for just as much money as conventional construction. It's one of those things that sounds good but in practise does not work out. Use them as a backyard shed or some sort of out-building to store you ever-growing hoard of retail purchases, but please don't try to live in them.

Could you guys stop building houses that maximize the square footage of a given lot? Some of us want to garden. I even promise to minimize the amount of grass I plant, deal?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, sure, that's advice reasonable people would follow but not rich hipsters who want alternative fake-simplistic real estate choices.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-sears-closing-hunt-valley-20170623-story.html

I was talking about the Sears in our local 'lifestyle center' earlier in the thread, :rip:

e: they have some cute clothes, I might hit up that liquidation sale...

snoo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 23, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Solkanar512 posted:

Could you guys stop building houses that maximize the square footage of a given lot? Some of us want to garden. I even promise to minimize the amount of grass I plant, deal?

I just tell people how to get out of buildings that are on fire, and help make sure they aren't on fire in the first place. Your house issue is much more to do with zoning than developers though. Buy a lot and build a house to suit if you want a nice garden space though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The fact is, where I live minimum wage is $8.50. Most places from fast food to grocery stores start at $10 a hour. Aldi's pays $12 an hour - and they're currently hiring. Warehouse Jobs pay a bit more usually around $14-$20 an hour.

at minimum wage you make around $1180 a month, at $10 you make about $1320 a month.

Why are you assuming these people have 40 hour weeks? They don't. Many of the people on 40 hours a week are management or department heads. Many retail/service industry positions will give you somewhere between 20-30 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah increasingly everybody who isn't a department head only gets the maximum part time hours per week to stiff them out of healthcare.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

glowing-fish posted:

I am also assuming that next January and February is when the lack of retail employment will start filtering through the economy. Unemployment is really low right now, but the continuing retail closures will probably start filtering through the market and become a more central economic story.

It depends. Low wage work is insanely plentiful right now, especially if we're talking about part time jobs or jobs with unreliable hours. I think the retail collapse would have to speed up noticeably for it to have a real impact on employment, although I wouldn't be surprised if it starts dragging wage growth down even farther.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That gives you $350-$400 a month to pay rent - if you go by the 30% rule. Which is doable if you have a room-mate as usually you can get 2 bedrooms here for about $100 to $150 more than a 1 bed room apartment. I know for a fact there are some apartments around here that go for $450-$500.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

When you have a huge house you really feel you need to fill it, often with garbage. It's always shocking to me just how much poo poo people manage to hoard as part of the typical middle class lifestyle. Families of 3-4 with 3,000 sqft houses that can't park in their garages because there's soooo much poo poo they've collected. Their kids don't just have bedrooms they have a designated play room because they have so many toys they can't all fit in one room. Dad has his "man cave" with a huge TV and bar setup, there's also a family room with a huge TV setup as well, plus a TV in the kitchen and all bedrooms, all with digital cable boxes and PVR's and poo poo. There's a formal dining room no one ever uses, but it needs to be fully furnished. The kitchen is huge, there are so many appliances. Every possible bulky single-use kitchen tool imaginable is stored somewhere in these dozens of cabinets, all to be used once or twice a year, if ever at all. There's a boat and trailer a ton of fishing poo poo, and a motorcycle and related poo poo, and there's 3 cars some how and a bunch of car related tools but no one in the house actually works on the cars. Everyone has 20 hobbies and all the related gear and supplies but many aren't touched for years at a time. There's never this idea that your house is full, or you have all the things you need. You should be always buying, like there's some sort of consumption budget you need to spend every quarter or the money will be lost. Buy a new coffee maker because you didn't buy anything nice this month, you don't need one, your old one works fine, but this new one looks cooler. Buy a 5th TV because it's on sale, you don't really need it, but it was on sale you could stick it in the guest bedroom. Just always be buying.

And this was just the standard model middle class boomers followed. You bought a house, you filled it to bursting with stuff, then you'd trade up to a bigger house and fill it with even more stuff. They had the income, the floor space, and the stability to do this. People now don't have any of those, they also don't have as much free time. So no poo poo they're going to buy a lot less and buy things online, saving them time.

This was our neighbor at our previous residence. Except he lived in like a 3 br condo and swam in junk. He had so many electric scooters and bikes and other crap. Great neighbor to have for borrowing stuff from at least.

Consumerism is a disease and the sooner we wipe it from the earth the better. The alt right has also picked up on this message; unfortunately, they also picked up a lot of other dumb notions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

blowfish posted:

I mean technically I will have moved 7-9 times by 30, even if all but 3 of those would just be into different college accomodation.

lol that doesn't count. Be an adult.