Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Phylodox posted:

It doesn't mean he's a poo poo, it just means he didn't have a good grasp on the character. Besides, it's a first draft. First drafts are always just throwing whatever at the wall and planning on refining it later.

Yeah but it doesn't exist in a vacuum, he's made a lot of gross poo poo and hidden behind unconvincing "But actually, I'm the feminist!" talk when he gets called on it.

Whedon projects that didn't involve fetishizing "strong female characters" being tortured, psychologically broken and/or degraded: :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd argue Zoe(I think, the character played by Gina Torres) from Firefly counts, but that show has so many examples of the opposite it by far cancels it out.

If Whedon did end up making WW in 2004 and cast from his usual talent pool back then, Gina Torres would have been amazing (though I don't think WB would have allowed it)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It's being reported that WW hit $600 million on Wednesday and is expected to surpass $650 million this weekend (estimates are $645 - $655). Final box office estimates are $725 - $740 million.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 23, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sean10mm posted:

fetishizing "strong female characters" being tortured, psychologically broken and/or degraded: :iiam:

But isn't that a trope for super heros/heroines?

Batman comes to mind. Hell, Ironman and Superman too. All were broken down, tortured, and degraded (in multiple movies even).

Movies where everything goes right all the time, and the main character has nothing to overcome, wouldn't be fun to watch.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think that's one of the key components of super heroes that make them relatable. Sure they have this power or ability but they also have problems like regular people. Some are more messed up than others but they all seem to have issues of one type or another.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

spacetoaster posted:

But isn't that a trope for super heros/heroines?

Batman comes to mind. Hell, Ironman and Superman too. All were broken down, tortured, and degraded (in multiple movies even).

Movies where everything goes right all the time, and the main character has nothing to overcome, wouldn't be fun to watch.

Yes, but Whedon doesn't exclusively do superhero movies, and this sort of thing pops up pretty routinely in his work, is what's being argued here. Some people are noticing a pattern in his work, in much the same way that one might notice that close up shots of women's feet tend to keep popping up in Tarantino's work, or that Wes Anderson movies tend to have some slow-motion walking around somewhere in there.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 23, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A friend of mine linked me to this analysis of Whedon's weird writing tics vis-a-vis female characters and I think it checks out: http://laureljupiter.tumblr.com/post/118320729761/laureljupiter-im-looking-at-screenshots-of-this

quote:

The next major Joss project was Dollhouse, with evil scientist and Joss lookalike Topher Brink programming, manipulating, and violating various women into playacting roles he’d scripted for them. It was such a blatant story about Joss and his actresses it was difficult to watch. Like, My Feminism Is Just An Excuse To Exploit Hot Actresses, I Am Such A Disgusting Creature!!! Coming soon to the CW! His next project, the webseries I Am So Horrible And My Feminism Is A Sham, featuring NPH as the Joss stand-in, was similarly cringeworthy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never really thought of Topher or NPH as Whedon stand-ins. I wouldn't really call Topher a lookalike either.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I saw this movie, and I'm not quite sure how it got all the praise it did. It wasn't terrible, but it was pretty bad. There were just so many scenes that were utterly ridiculous.

Wonder Woman charging out of a trench, and across no -mans land... Hundreds of enemy soldiers, including mounted machine guns, all shooting directly at her shield from straight ahead of her. No one shoots at any part of her exposed body. Not one person shoots at the 4 dudes with no cover, who then proceed to take out the entire enemy front line.

Wonder Woman sneaking into the German HQ, by cutting one piece of barbed wire. Fighting the top German bad guy on top of a guard tower in the middle of the loving base, and not one person notices...

The final fight scene against an evil, lightning throwing Englishman in a suit of armor...

I can go on, but man, how does stuff like this make it into the movie?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 23, 2017

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Why don't they just shoot Robocop in the mouth?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

RCarr posted:

I saw this movie, and I'm not quite sure how it got all the praise it did. It wasn't terrible, but it was pretty bad. There were just so many scenes that were utterly ridiculous.

Wonder Woman charging out of a trench, and across no -mans land... Hundreds of enemy soldiers, including mounted machine guns, all shooting directly at her shield from straight ahead of her. No one shoots at any part of her exposed body. Not one person shoots at the 4 dudes with no cover, who then proceed to take out the entire enemy front line.

Wonder Woman sneaking into the German HQ, by cutting one piece of barbed wire. Fighting the top German bad guy on top of a guard tower in the middle of the loving base, and not one person notices...

The final fight scene against an evil, lightning throwing Englishman in a suit of armor...

Did you like all the realism in the last Thor movie?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Serious answer to that dude: those scenes were all intentional

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I saw someone online get upset that Wonder Woman was so excited about seeing a baby because that signified that Hollywood isn't ready for a badass give-no-fucks warrior woman and they had to tone her down by making her overly maternal blah blah blah.
Yeesh, and it's like, five seconds. She's excited because she's literally never seen a baby before.

It's not like it's Elektra, where the whole movie hinges on how the ultimate assassin is an adorkable girl-next-door who just wants to be a mommy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crappy Jack posted:

Why don't they just shoot Robocop in the mouth?

I know we're pointing out how silly it is to expect any realism in a comic book movie, but I'll respond tho this as though you were actually asking.

Supposedly it's just some skin they stretched over metal and you can't actually get a bullet through to his brain that way. :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

spacetoaster posted:

I know we're pointing out how silly it is to expect any realism in a comic book movie, but I'll respond tho this as though you were actually asking.

Supposedly it's just some skin they stretched over metal and you can't actually get a bullet through to his brain that way. :shrug:

I think it's still worth a shot. I'm gonna try it next time I see him

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeesh, and it's like, five seconds. She's excited because she's literally never seen a baby before.

Yeah, she's literally amazed to see a child for that reason. And probably sees children/babies as the most important thing in the world (because she was raised alone where she was the most important thing to everyone). I didn't get any kind of mommy wannabe feelings from it.

It also came across to me later in the movie how much she would be upset by the war stuff that caused the death/suffering of babies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"A female lead can only be good if she never actually expresses anything definitively feminine in any way" is always a crappy argument. Even if it wasn't a 5 second scene there's nothing wrong with a character expressing maternal feelings nor does it make them less badass. (primary example is one Ripley, Ellen.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 23, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Another serious answer: Seriously you guys think aiming a mounted machine gun or a bolt action rifle is like aiming a laser?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RCarr posted:

They make it into the movie because they serve the narrative of the film.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The weird thing about the "why don't they just shoot her in the exposed legs? why didn't they shoot at the dudes running by?" question is that it's not like an RTS where these dudes in the trenches have 360 degree awareness of the battlefield. It was probably a sequence of events like:

1. look at this lunatic crossing the field, let's shoot her
2. what the hell, why isn't she falling? shoot her more!
3. *a bunch of bullets and noise and sparks and dust and the chaos of people freaking out at the weird rear end poo poo that's happening*
4. Some dudes have now shown up and are killing us

Like I can't remember if we see the perspective of the machine gunners but I'd imagine they see a figure in the distance and then vaguely see it standing through a hail of bullets and dust, I don't know that they could've just been like "oh she clearly has a magical shield but her knees are exposed!" from their vantage point.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's a visual play on the Angels of Mons. As discussed already

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Another serious answer: Seriously you guys think aiming a mounted machine gun or a bolt action rifle is like aiming a laser?

Since every single one of the hundreds of bullets hit a shield with a 2 or 3 foot diameter... yes?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RCarr posted:

Since every single one of the hundreds of bullets hit a shield with a 2 or 3 foot diameter... yes?

I don't remember anything in the movie that suggests that nobody missed her completely. Can you refresh my memory?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Do bullets actually hurt her? The graze in the intro implied Wolverine style healing factor, but the punishment she took in the final fight seemed to suggest Superman levels of invulnerability.

Still confused about how much work the bracers were doing re: energy blasts.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It doesn't actually matter if the bad guys aim for Diana's shield or not. She's repeatedly shown to be fast enough to intercept a bullet on her bracers. She's going to tank the bullets on whichever piece of her gear she drat well please.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

spacetoaster posted:

Why don't they shoot Batman in the mouth? And don't give me "Well, he put a target on his chest so they'd aim for that instead."

Caros
May 14, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

First world war trench lines were replete with snipers. Just saying.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Why don't they shoot Batman in the mouth? And don't give me "Well, he put a target on his chest so they'd aim for that instead."

Because the director doesn't want them to. :smuggo:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Caros posted:

First world war trench lines were replete with snipers. Just saying.

Yeah but how many amazons did the trench lines have

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Steve even has a line saying something like "yeah it's a real baby, not one made out of clay"

spacetoaster posted:

It also came across to me later in the movie how much she would be upset by the war stuff that caused the death/suffering of babies.
She specifically mentions that twice. Once when she's telling Steve they need to help the villagers when they're in the trench. She says something like "They've enslaved the village; women, children..." and at the end when she has decided that humanity does not deserve her help. She says something like "They're killing people they can't even see. Woman, children...children Steve!" In both cases she really emphasizes the word children.

ImpAtom posted:

"A female lead can only be good if she never actually expresses anything definitively feminine in any way" is always a crappy argument. Even if it wasn't a 5 second scene there's nothing wrong with a character expressing maternal feelings nor does it make them less badass. (primary example is one Ripley, Ellen.)
I don't know if this is a bad opinion but that's one of things I really liked about her character. They allowed to her to be an absolute bad rear end while still being very feminine and no one ever made any of the typical jokes about her leading the way. Her abilities were recognized and all the guys quickly realized that they could best help by acting as support for her.

She was able to be a woman without having to act super macho. Same thing with Steve, his masculinity was never joked about or teased just because he followed her. They're both allowed to just be without resorting to tropes for their characters.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 24, 2017

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I saw someone say that Wonder Woman isn't feminist because Diana is "highly sexualized", and I have to disagree. I'm trying to think of a male gaze-y shot in the movie, and I'm drawing a blank. There was no close-ups on her (or any Amazon's) rear end and tits, nor was there a dumb scene where Diana is changing clothes, and Steve trying to sneak a peak. Like, there's more to sexual objectification than "is she showing skin, y/n".

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Equeen posted:

I saw someone say that Wonder Woman isn't feminist because Diana is "highly sexualized", and I have to disagree. I'm trying to think of a male gaze-y shot in the movie, and I'm drawing a blank. There was no close-ups on her (or any Amazon's) rear end and tits, nor was there a dumb scene where Diana is changing clothes, and Steve trying to sneak a peak. Like, there's more to sexual objectification than "is she showing skin, y/n".

That shot of her eyes when they go to the room in the inn :allears:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

hiddenriverninja posted:

That shot of her eyes when they go to the room in the inn :allears:
Yeah that was really something.

I feel weird saying this about a love scene but that whole thing was really sweet and intimate.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Equeen posted:

Yeah, I was expecting an rear end shot when she was climbing that ladder up to no-man's land. But nope, they didn't do it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I saw an interview with Patty Jenkins and they were asking about the problematic nature of female superhero outfits. She said that she wanted Diana and all the Amazons to be hot but not sexualized (that's why Diana has heeled boots, Jenkins wanted them to all have long legs).

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah that was really something.

I feel weird saying this about a love scene but that whole thing was really sweet and intimate.

I kinda like that it was completely left to the audience's imagination. For all we know, Diana and Steve were just cuddling :3:.

they totally hosed, tho

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Equeen posted:

I kinda like that it was completely left to the audience's imagination. For all we know, Diana and Steve were just cuddling :3:.

they totally hosed, tho
The way the view changed to the gentle snowfall that Diana called "magical" was nice too. It made the whole thing feel more about love than lust or something done in the passion of a moment. The whole thing was taken slowly and deliberately.

I was expecting a "morning after talk" or for the rest of the squad to make joke or innuendo but it was really nice to see a complete absence of that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Apollo posted:

I saw an interview with Patty Jenkins and they were asking about the problematic nature of female superhero outfits.

Why female only? They're all that way.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

Why female only? They're all that way.

That was one of Patty's points. The male superhero outfits are tight with bulging muscles but no one complains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Apollo posted:

That was one of Patty's points. The male superhero outfits are tight with bulging muscles but no one complains.

That ain't no muscle bulge sweetie. :wink:

• Locked thread