Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

spacegoat posted:

Daedleh you and your crew have set the bar too high with KoW. FireFight is such a clusterfuck right now with some deeply broken poo poo that I'm about to drop it. I was able to get Matt's email to answer some rules questions and he was like "shrug, that's the rule. If you wanna house rule something different until we update it with (terrible alternative rule I just suggested) then go for it."

Can you give an example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Also, funny that they show renders for the wyrm, as I've been working on one for myself since I got my Bones KS order in.

I still have a few small details to add--surface wounds and a couple arrows and/or swords embedded in the chest, and do something more fancy with the base--but he's mostly done enough to show off.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

Can you give an example?

spacegoat posted:

Question about mortars - is anyone else having a hard time against them in Firefight?

I feel like I must be missing something. Using the Goblin Guntrack as an example - 85 points gets a unit that:

- Can hide and hit anything within 12-48" on a flat 5+ due to the Indirect and Blast rules.
- Causes 3 suppression tokens on a hit with Suppressive Fire (2), still causing 2 tokens if the target is Unflinching. Most units will be suppressed out the gate.
- THEN Causes 3-8 hits due to Blast.

You can take a lot of these in a game, hide, and essentially ignore most of the benefits of cover/defensible terrain due to the Indirect/Blast/Suppressive Fire combo. How do you fight this?

I've faced them a few times now as Enforcers, and feel like the game is over before it starts. I can't hide from them or defend against them, so how do I counter them without bomber spam?

Matt confirms that that's how it works. Suggests maybe making mortars a restricted unit. My thought is to make Suppressive Fire only count vs Unflinching on wounds, not hits, per Unflinching.

We've found a few other niggling issues, but that's been the biggest one for us. If I'm not tabled by the end of turn one I am by turn two.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ok that is annoying. Kings of War has similar units, but composition is different so they're limited. I haven't faced anything like that because I don't own them and I play against my own forces.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Also, funny that they show renders for the wyrm, as I've been working on one for myself since I got my Bones KS order in.

I still have a few small details to add--surface wounds and a couple arrows and/or swords embedded in the chest, and do something more fancy with the base--but he's mostly done enough to show off.

This guy is rad.

I too am using Bones for my Undead Wyrm:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Something like two years ago now Mantic hosed up my order when I wanted their old metal elf dragon. They somehow sent me a Drakon rider in the dragon box. They offered to send me the new plastic dragon as an apology but I actually turned it down in favor of the smaller metal dragon. I'm glad I did, but it's still disheartening to see that their official models keep getting larger.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

This guy is rad.

I too am using Bones for my Undead Wyrm:

I've been seriously considering getting that for a Vamp Lord on undead dragon, but I struggle to think of where to put the vampire on that thing. Ideally I'd like a set-up like with the Creature Caster dragon so I can slot the vampire lord I've already painted right there on the basket, but that wouldn't be terribly feasible with Nethyrmaul there.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm glad I did, but it's still disheartening to see that their official models keep getting larger.
I feel like this is the natural tug of mini gaming and yeah it seems to take priority over the quality of actual gaming. But I guess in this market, given who is the leader, 'quality of gaming' is clearly not the pull.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Slimnoid posted:

I've been seriously considering getting that for a Vamp Lord on undead dragon, but I struggle to think of where to put the vampire on that thing. Ideally I'd like a set-up like with the Creature Caster dragon so I can slot the vampire lord I've already painted right there on the basket, but that wouldn't be terribly feasible with Nethyrmaul there.

Nethyrmaul is a vampire, so that could work?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nethyrmaul is a vampire, so that could work?

Good point.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah I don't bother with a rider, I just assume he's a powerful enough undead dragon to have the combined stats and abilities of a wyrm + vampire. Good old Dracoliches!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
The Herd seems to have poor ranged options but I'm not sure who to ally with to prop that up. Elves, Nature or possibly Kingdoms of Man? Generally playing 2k so i have 500 points I could devote to allies. Any suggestions?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Elf shooting is nasty. Go with that.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I've been blundering through ASOBH, Otherworld Fantasy and Frostgrave with little joy, and I hear that Mantic is still infact working on their own Fantasy Skirmish game? (I believe it was mentioned in this thread in passing that it had been cancelled) - is this something likely to surface shortly? I'm in no real rush but as my gaming crew appears mostly limited, I've thus far found all Mantic rules to be quite fun.

Cheers!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Southern Heel posted:

So I've been blundering through ASOBH, Otherworld Fantasy and Frostgrave with little joy, and I hear that Mantic is still infact working on their own Fantasy Skirmish game? (I believe it was mentioned in this thread in passing that it had been cancelled) - is this something likely to surface shortly? I'm in no real rush but as my gaming crew appears mostly limited, I've thus far found all Mantic rules to be quite fun.

Cheers!

Supposed to be a Kickstarter for it later this year, the money from that mainly going to fund new hard plastic troops for a couple new KoW armies.

There's a fan made game derived in part from Kings of War called The Star-Struck City that you might want to consider, I've heard it's actually pretty good

quote:

The Star-Struck City sets players in the sunken ruins of Perditus, formerly known as Casa-Omnicidi. Once, it was a Primavantor city of incredible wealth recently risen from the seabed. Treasure and danger alike await your warbands, as they travel through the waterlogged city in search of the shards of the meteor that struck down the once-mighty port city and drove it beneath the waves.

Star-Struck City is a skirmish game, designed around playing with small warbands of 5-15 models on a 4′ x 4′ table loaded with terrain. Warband members advance, gaining new skills, equipment, and injuries as they survive the rigors of battle in this deadly locale. Climb up buildings and run between rooftops, leap down to ambush enemies from above, hire war machines and epic heroes from the Kings of War armies, and build your warband’s reputation as the fiercest and toughest fighters in all of Mantica.

The rules are based heavily on Kings of War, so players of the full-size wargame should feel right at home. It’s heavily inspired by other skirmish games such as Mordheim, but with the ease-of-play the Kings of War rules provide so gameplay is quick and decisive.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Woo, thanks - checking it out now. As for Kickstarter, it might be the first one I ever do? Who knows?!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I should clarify, the skirmish game for later this year has been described as La Haye Sainte to Kings of War's Waterloo, a Kings of War: Firefight sized game rather than the smaller ones you;re talking about.

I think it might be worth Mantic working with these guys to make Star-Struck City into the actual Fantasy Deadzone/not-Necromunda/Mantic Frostgrave game, that we've heard nothing about in some time.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Oh, well that's a bit dissapointing. I've read through Starstruck City and indeed, it benefits from KoW's very fluid and natural ruleset. The main differences appear to be:

- The Nerve values are brought way down and renamed 'Toughness'
- Both To-Hit and To-Wound rolls have are exploding 6's
- New Rules for climbing (normal movement), jumping (3/6" depnding on advance or at the double) and falling (roll under #"/2 fallen or take damage)
- New Rules for fleeing (4/5/6+ to stay, if you have lost 50/70/99% of your warband)

There are army lists (of single models) with various points values for every army currently in KoW, a few City-specific skills (most of which just add to the statiline or give a KoW Special rule) and equipment (stats/etc. of which 99% come straight from KoW). I guess if you have single based miniatures, or otherwise heroes - then you'll be fine to just use those. The scenarios are also quite cool :beach landing, no-mans land, deepling horde NPC round-ups, etc., On the downside (and this is maybe a bit nitpicky) I'm not sure that the Starmetal mechanic works, it's certainly very flavourful but adds multiple layers of complexity - finding it, selling X starmetal for Y cost based on Z warband members - or enchanting it, then testing for madness if you bring enchanted starmetal to battle, and various skills around how the enchanted starmetal functions.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A Mantic writer is putting out his own fantasy warband game through Osprey early next year.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
My Nightmares from the Veer-Myn starter set:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nice space rats.

Months I've been searching for my Bjarn Starnafal mini, pulled apart my storage three times trying to find it; was just doing a pass of my display shelf to see if I had any Marauders not in foam to check a colour, and found Bjarn sitting on the shelf, where I'd left him after painting him like a year and a half ago.

Because I'm detail oriented :downs:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Question for the thread: I've assembled everything in my Asterian starter except for one charge glove Cypher whose head I lost (RIP). I'm looking at the expansion, and I realised if I want to expand my dudes to Firefight, I can't take a minimum unit of Black Talons as there's only a single other one in the expansion. What do I do about this?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Deleter posted:

Question for the thread: I've assembled everything in my Asterian starter except for one charge glove Cypher whose head I lost (RIP). I'm looking at the expansion, and I realised if I want to expand my dudes to Firefight, I can't take a minimum unit of Black Talons as there's only a single other one in the expansion. What do I do about this?

At the moment, nothing. If you have one, you can field it as the Asterian special character. Otherwise you buy either enough expansion sets to get to 3 Black Talons or wait until Mantic releases a set for them.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Balls. Oh well. Don't think I can expand very far past my lunchbox of minis right now anyway, so we'll see.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Apologies for the double post, but what points values usually get played for Firefight?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The Firefight Fanatics group has a semi-official poll about what Mantic will be running and 1500pt Firefight is leading by a large margin. IIRC the game sizes break down to 1250pt minimum then into 1000pt increments. I've found 1000pts to be a quick and easy game, FWIW.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Southern Heel posted:

The Firefight Fanatics group has a semi-official poll about what Mantic will be running and 1500pt Firefight is leading by a large margin. IIRC the game sizes break down to 1250pt minimum then into 1000pt increments. I've found 1000pts to be a quick and easy game, FWIW.

I was thinking about this and spacegoats's comments this morning and I think the real issue is that some of the Warpath mechanics just don't make sense at the points value the game is designed around. Remember, the only major distinction between Warpath and Firefight is in force construction and unit makeup.

A lot of, if not most, units in Firefight are between 3 and 5 models and the recommended points value is 1250 points (though I guess the "community" is pushing for 1500). This doesn't mesh at all with how many Suppression tokens get handed out on a turn or how devastating indirect weapons can be.

I think it really highlights how badly Firefight needs to be its own game.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Yeah, which means we're waiting for a new edition rather than an FAQ/errata.

The other thing we're struggling with is assault. Units can Move as a reaction, meaning most of the time they're running away from you unless you want to get close enough to be Engaged first. I get that you want to Ground units and/or use orders first, but on low activation armies like Enforcers it feels like assault is pointless.

Anyone want to buy a shitload of Kickstarter Enforcers? :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Speaking of FAQs, the 1.1 FAQ for Dungeon Saga was just released, for anyone still playing it

https://u10049744.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10049744/dave/DS-CoreRules-FAQ%26Errata-RC-Final-v1.1.pdf

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
What kind of issues are in Firefight? It seems like the low-end skirmish game I really want but if the gameplay issues are really strong that kinda dampens my enthusiasm for building my force to reach it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The Deleter posted:

What kind of issues are in Firefight? It seems like the low-end skirmish game I really want but if the gameplay issues are really strong that kinda dampens my enthusiasm for building my force to reach it.

I guess if you're looking for a super robust tournament game then it has problems. The issue with h indirect fire being powerful is very simple to me: "hey let's only use one indirect fire mortar type weapon each, as a maximum?".

Honestly we all agree that bulletproof rulesets are ideal, but let's not go throwing our pissjugs out with the piss. I think it's just because mantic got KoW so right that the imperfections with FF are evident.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Worth remembering too that the KoW ruleset Mantic got so right was the 2nd edition, Firefight and Warpath are basically in their 1st edition.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Speaking of FAQs, the 1.1 FAQ for Dungeon Saga was just released, for anyone still playing it

https://u10049744.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10049744/dave/DS-CoreRules-FAQ%26Errata-RC-Final-v1.1.pdf

My group has tried and failed the first four-player scenario in dwarf kings (I think it's "adventure 2"?) three times and that soured them a lot on the game. There simply is not enough time to complete that quest as written, and I'm convinced people claiming to have done it online are playing with modified or misunderstood rules. A competent Mortibris player can effectively jam up the approach to the last room with zombies such that it's not possible to clear it in the ~2 turns needed. The key problems with the scenario are the need to open the lock and the inability to do that in less than two turns, and the need for the dwarf to get to the last room quickly despite being slow and easy to slow down. That bottleneck is just too easy to exploit for the Mortibris player, and so obviously so that choosing not to do it is transparently throwing the game to the adventurer players.

It is a bad look - a really, really bad look - for the game to have a basically broken scenario during a "tutorial" introductory adventure intended to introduce the full game. I'm pretty disappointed that this FAQ doesn't address that at all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

My group has tried and failed the first four-player scenario in dwarf kings (I think it's "adventure 2"?) three times and that soured them a lot on the game. There simply is not enough time to complete that quest as written, and I'm convinced people claiming to have done it online are playing with modified or misunderstood rules. A competent Mortibris player can effectively jam up the approach to the last room with zombies such that it's not possible to clear it in the ~2 turns needed. The key problems with the scenario are the need to open the lock and the inability to do that in less than two turns, and the need for the dwarf to get to the last room quickly despite being slow and easy to slow down. That bottleneck is just too easy to exploit for the Mortibris player, and so obviously so that choosing not to do it is transparently throwing the game to the adventurer players.

It is a bad look - a really, really bad look - for the game to have a basically broken scenario during a "tutorial" introductory adventure intended to introduce the full game. I'm pretty disappointed that this FAQ doesn't address that at all.

The attached blog describes it as the first in a series of upcoming FAQs for Dungeon Saga from the new Rules Committee, so there might still be some hope, especially as the living FAQ prior to this was just being done by Jake on his blog, and I don't think he was that into it

https://manticblog.com/2017/06/23/dungeon-saga-dwarf-kings-quest-faq/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Firefight is definitely a "baby and the bathwater" situation. The core mechanics are totally fine, but there are minor things that have jumped out at us as needing clarity in the writing, tweaking, or complete revision. I think as is, were I to be playing it regularly, we'd have a decent number of houserules to make it more the game that we want it to be rather than the Warpath mod we got stuck with. Suppression and charge reactions are definitely two things that I would try to modify.

At least the models are pretty good and I'm happy to sit on those while I wait for better rules or to use them to proxy 3e 40k or to play Scrappers or any other scifi game that comes out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

The attached blog describes it as the first in a series of upcoming FAQs for Dungeon Saga from the new Rules Committee, so there might still be some hope, especially as the living FAQ prior to this was just being done by Jake on his blog, and I don't think he was that into it

https://manticblog.com/2017/06/23/dungeon-saga-dwarf-kings-quest-faq/

Cool, thanks. I posted my issues with the adventure.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That's a shame, but we're probably never going to play competitively so I think we'll be okay. Now I need to tot up what I have to 1000 points, which I guess means shelling out for some Marionettes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Deleter posted:

That's a shame, but we're probably never going to play competitively so I think we'll be okay. Now I need to tot up what I have to 1000 points, which I guess means shelling out for some Marionettes.

Fortunately the Marionettes are stellar models and fun to build and paint!

But as with any game, if you're not playing competitively and playing with friends, the game can be anything you want.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Firefight is definitely a "baby and the bathwater" situation. The core mechanics are totally fine, but there are minor things that have jumped out at us as needing clarity in the writing, tweaking, or complete revision. I think as is, were I to be playing it regularly, we'd have a decent number of houserules to make it more the game that we want it to be rather than the Warpath mod we got stuck with. Suppression and charge reactions are definitely two things that I would try to modify.

At least the models are pretty good and I'm happy to sit on those while I wait for better rules or to use them to proxy 3e 40k or to play Scrappers or any other scifi game that comes out.

So, buy the models, paint them up, and wait for 2nd edition for Firefight? Or, make sure not to play with competitive WAACers?

Is there a way to get the fluff book without buying the rules as well? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty much! Or the FAQs might roll out most of the kinks, if the current way to play works for you.

You can get the sourcebook alone digitally, but if you want it in print you have to buy the rules combo. Still, it's not like the rules are a hundred bucks a pop.