Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

zoux posted:

Here's a video from November about Marvel's color grading problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWYtXtmEFQ

At the end, he says that since Marvel is switching to a new camera for GotG2, that he hopes the grading will be improved.

First he says it is not the camera and show films with vibrant colours shot on the same camera,and later on a switch of the camera should fix it? If there is something to fix. Seems more a artistic choice that makes the movies set in the same continuity to look similar, for better or worse. Because I doubt after 15 films with very professional colour graders and cinematographs the problem never was noticed.

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Just set FF in the late 60's/early 70's and it make it a period piece. Throw in the inter dimensional stuff and *boom*. A decent FF movie for once. Go full out with it and color it with elements of the time period.

Also, I think it'd be great if they did a Plastic Man movie at this point and play up the idea of him being a full blown celebrity with no secret identity at all who goes on talk shows, has his own reality TV show and YouTube channel, Twitter feed, video games and a merchandising wing, etc. I think it'd be a refreshing take on the superhero genre and a natural of extension of what Deadpool was able to accomplish. Something like The Mask, Hancock or Spiderman's first ideas about how to use his powers but more modern and with more unapologetic hubris where Plastic man absolutely relishes his celebrity status.

Make the crime fighting element a very minor element of what he does (if he does it all) and just explore the sheer power fantasy element of it, which, let's face it, is what most people would do if they had super powers. He could be macking chicks and showing up at high profile events, making crude jokes about his "stretching powers" and "Elongation", stretching is arms around 8 Penthouse pets in photos ops, going on Howard Stern, the cover of Rolling Stone, "throwing" out the first pitch form the top row in the center field bleachers, presenting an oscar by stretching his head from offstage to the podium, doing PPV specials...all sorts of cheesy poo poo where he's just cashing in on the fame and counting money, living it up and showing off. Eventually, maybe people get tired of him and the backlash sets in.

Then the "superhero" part comes in where he has a personal crisis or a stake in a dangerous situation that matters and effects him personally and he sort become a hero by having to use his powers for something other than his own personal and financial gain. I think it'd be a lot of fun and a refreshing take on a genre that's getting a little stale.

I dunno. I'd watch that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BiggerBoat posted:

Just set FF in the late 60's/early 70's and it make it a period piece. Throw in the inter dimensional stuff and *boom*. A decent FF movie for once. Go full out with it and color it with elements of the time period.

Also, I think it'd be great if they did a Plastic Man movie at this point and play up the idea of him being a full blown celebrity with no secret identity at all who goes on talk shows, has his own reality TV show and YouTube channel, Twitter feed, video games and a merchandising wing, etc. I think it'd be a refreshing take on the superhero genre and a natural of extension of what Deadpool was able to accomplish. Something like The Mask, Hancock or Spiderman's first ideas about how to use his powers but more modern and with more unapologetic hubris where Plastic man absolutely relishes his celebrity status.

Make the crime fighting element a very minor element of what he does (if he does it all) and just explore the sheer power fantasy element of it, which, let's face it, is what most people would do if they had super powers. He could be macking chicks and showing up at high profile events, making crude jokes about his "stretching powers" and "Elongation", stretching is arms around 8 Penthouse pets in photos ops, going on Howard Stern, the cover of Rolling Stone, "throwing" out the first pitch form the top row in the center field bleachers, presenting an oscar by stretching his head from offstage to the podium, doing PPV specials...all sorts of cheesy poo poo where he's just cashing in on the fame and counting money, living it up and showing off. Eventually, maybe people get tired of him and the backlash sets in.

Then the "superhero" part comes in where he has a personal crisis or a stake in a dangerous situation that matters and effects him personally and he sort become a hero by having to use his powers for something other than his own personal and financial gain. I think it'd be a lot of fun and a refreshing take on a genre that's getting a little stale.

I dunno. I'd watch that.

This is Booster Gold

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

This is Booster Gold

To be even more precise it's Elongated Man. Elongated Man's entire gimmick when he was first introduced is that he was the very first 'public' superhero and had no secret identity. (This is why he was chosen for Identity Crisis in fact.) He was a supporting cast member for Barry Allen but the fact that he was a minor celebrity who ended up marrying a rich debutante and in general did very well for himself as a public superhero was a big part of his character.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

This is Booster Gold

ImpAtom posted:

To be even more precise it's Elongated Man. Elongated Man's entire gimmick when he was first introduced is that he was the very first 'public' superhero and had no secret identity. (This is why he was chosen for Identity Crisis in fact.) He was a supporting cast member for Barry Allen but the fact that he was a minor celebrity who ended up marrying a rich debutante and in general did very well for himself as a public superhero was a big part of his character.

Cool. Then let's make a Plastic Man movie like that, gaudy costume and all. I was pretty sure the idea had been explored in comics somewhere so let's make a film.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Start F4 in the 60s but have the same experiment that gives them their powers in space hurtle them forward to the present day

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

This is Booster Gold

Yeah, and that's why I think a Booster Gold movie or series would be so good. The character was ahead of his time when introduced in 1987 -- one of the only superheroes I can think of who didn't have purely altruistic motives (kinda like Spider-Man if he never suffered any consequences after letting that original burglar go free). He was a disgraced athlete in the 25th Century, who was busted for gambling on his own football games (even though he needed the money to help his poor family, after his father abandoned them). He stole his costume and equipment from a museum where he worked as a janitor and traveled back to our time to become a celebrity superhero, using his knowledge of future events to do good deeds, solve crimes, and further his career. This earned him the distrust of more traditionally altruistic heroes, and even though he joined Max Lord's Justice League, he was always dismissed as a joke.

The thing is, Booster proved time and time again he was a good man, even if he didn't always act like it. He often did the right thing, even when it harmed his image, lucrative endorsement deals, or celebrity status. I think now more than ever, in this age of complicated cable TV antiheroes, misbehaving reality stars, shallow Internet celebrities, and icons being revealed as phonies and frauds, the time is right for a redemptive story like Booster's. Who wouldn't be able to relate to him, at least a little, as he looks out for Number One, playing the hero as he chases fortune and fame? It would be a wish-fulfillment story for some, then the audience would turn on him when other characters in the story do, only to marvel at his redemption and self-sacrifice when he realizes what really matters and does the right thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The thing is, Booster proved time and time again he was a good man, even if he didn't always act like it. He often did the right thing, even when it harmed his image, lucrative endorsement deals, or celebrity status. I think now more than ever, in this age of complicated cable TV antiheroes, misbehaving reality stars, shallow Internet celebrities, and icons being revealed as phonies and frauds, the time is right for a redemptive story like Booster's. Who wouldn't be able to relate to him, at least a little, as he looks out for Number One, playing the hero as he chases fortune and fame? It would be a wish-fulfillment story for some, then the audience would turn on him when other characters in the story do, only to marvel at his redemption and self-sacrifice when he realizes what really matters and does the right thing.

This sounds great, whether it's Booster Gold, Plastic Man, Elongated Man or whoever. I know jack poo poo about Booster Gold so there's that.

I prefer Plastic Man just because I think the effects would be entertaining and, applied properly, would add to the character and the "wow, look at what HE can do element" that would be vital to selling the character's popularity and making him visually unique and help him go viral. poo poo, if they make it a trilogy, have the main character run for President as a send up on Trump. Plastic Man could grow his own tie and make it red and do the crazy comb over poo poo with his hair.

I'm gonna take a break and go write a treatment now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BiggerBoat posted:

This sounds great, whether it's Booster Gold, Plastic Man, Elongated Man or whoever. I know jack poo poo about Booster Gold so there's that.

I prefer Plastic Man just because I think the effects would be entertaining and, applied properly, would add to the character and the "wow, look at what HE can do element" that would be vital to selling the character's popularity and making him visually unique and help him go viral. poo poo, if they make it a trilogy, have the main character run for President as a send up on Trump. Plastic Man could grow his own tie and make it red and do the crazy comb over poo poo with his hair.

I'm gonna take a break and go write a treatment now.

Lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should make literally The Mummy with Brendan Fraser but give him wings and a mace and call it Hawk Man.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Marvel has confirmed some characters for Spider-Man. Donald Glover is Aaron Davis (the Prowler from Ultimate who was Miles' uncle), there are 2 Shockers and Michael Mando is playing Mac Gargan. Jennifer Connelly has also joined the cast.

quote:

With Spider-Man: Homecoming less than two weeks out, Sony Pictures has issued the official cast list, revealing the additions of both Gwyneth Paltrow and Jennifer Connelly (Hulk) to the cast. Paltrow will be reprising her role as Pepper Potts for the first time since 2013's Iron Man 3 while Connelly returns to world of superheroes as a character named "Karen/Suit Lady," which could hint at a possible S.H.I.E.L.D. connection since Spidey has no prominent Karen in his life (unless it's an obscure reference to Karen O'Malley from the Spider-Man: Unlimited animated series).

The cast list also confirms the true identities of several cast members and reveals two more potential Marvel villains in Aaron Davis, a.k.a. the Prowler, played by Donald Glover (Atlanta), and Mac Gargan a.k.a. the Scorpion, played by Michael Mando (Orphan Black). We also have confirmation that there will indeed be two Shockers: the Herman Schultz version, played by Bokeem Woodbine (Fargo), and the Jackson Brice iteration, played by Logan Marshall-Green (Devil).

Angourie Rice is playing Betty Brant and Garcelle Beauvais (Flight) is listed as Doris Toomes, likely suggesting she's the Vulture's wife (or ex-wife) and quite possibly, also confirming the identity of another key cast member.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh man Nacho would make a really good Scorpion

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is the Prowler really a villain? I feel like he was a villain for maybe like half an issue, trying to steal back money his boss cheated him out of, but never hurt anyone and immediately teamed up with Spider-man

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is the Prowler really a villain? I feel like he was a villain for maybe like half an issue, trying to steal back money his boss cheated him out of, but never hurt anyone and immediately teamed up with Spider-man

wrong version of the character

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah, darn. So we'll never see the version I know, who got fired from his window washing job for inventing safety equipment that let him do his job more efficiently, and then used his window washing gadgets for crime.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah the Ultimate Prowler he uh, wasn't a nice guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looking forward to the yelling at two Shockers simultaneously scene.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Always give Michael Mando more work

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, they got Pepper back for frigging Spider-Man but not for Civil War?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ImpAtom posted:

Man, they got Pepper back for frigging Spider-Man but not for Civil War?
Yeah i don't understand that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Easier when it's Sony's money.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe Sunny was like: Hey Paltrow you still mad at Marvel about pay? How about you appear in our film to really stick it to them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chuckwoolery/status/878230921874251777

Well I was going to see it but if Game Show Host Extrodinaire Chuck Woolery doesn't like it..

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/chuckwoolery/status/878230921874251777

Well I was going to see it but if Game Show Host Extrodinaire Chuck Woolery doesn't like it..

I realize he's a totally wack job nowadays, but at no point does the movie do that. Maybe he watched the animated movie by mistake?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

I realize he's a totally wack job nowadays, but at no point does the movie do that. Maybe he watched the animated movie by mistake?

Maybe he thinks Man with a capital M means males.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

Putting women in leading roles is Male Erasure.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

zoux posted:

I thought women and minorities doing anything was white genocide? I just can't keep up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

zoux posted:

Give a little respect
Toooooooo-oo meeeeeeeeeee(n)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, apparently the Dark Phoenix casting call has Dazzler on it for a small role, because fans of characters love it when they see them in a five second cameo.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

zoux posted:

Also, apparently the Dark Phoenix casting call has Dazzler on it for a small role, because fans of characters love it when they see them in a five second cameo.

Five-second super-hero cameos aren't always horrible, I enjoyed Colossus and Siryn showing up in X2

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

My money is on him not actually seeing it, making incorrect assumptions about its content, and wanting to have his lovely-opinion virtue signal about it while the topic was still semi relevant

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He did get ripped off $20. If he wanted to see that men were evil he could look in a mirror.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

Should have Lila Cheney if they're going to space.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Eh! Frank posted:

Five-second super-hero cameos aren't always horrible, I enjoyed Colossus and Siryn showing up in X2

They're the best because then you get to feel like the super nerd elbownudging your horrified date saying how eh, eh, that Remy guy is Gambit's real name

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Calaveron posted:

They're the best because then you get to feel like the super nerd elbownudging your horrified date saying how eh, eh, that Remy guy is Gambit's real name

And you feel even more like a super nerd, when you never hear from her again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah i don't understand that.

Paltrow said Marvel offered to bring her back for Civil War but she declined. Apparently she's tired of just playing Tony Stark's love interest and refused to be in Civil War if that's all Pepper would be used for.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Start F4 in the 60s but have the same experiment that gives them their powers in space hurtle them forward to the present day

I've seen a few people suggest that, and it's a good idea.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Paltrow said Marvel offered to bring her back for Civil War but she declined. Apparently she's tired of just playing Tony Stark's love interest and refused to be in Civil War if that's all Pepper would be used for.

Also, those Jade Vagina Eggs won't sell themselves!

http://goop.com/better-sex-jade-eggs-for-your-yoni/ NSFW maybe.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't imagine which part of Civil War would be enhanced by Pepper being there, but power to y'all that can.

BiggerBoat posted:

Plastic Man pitch

Isn't this Iron Man 2? Celebrity superhero does whatever he wants and has a blast til it becomes personal and he has to grow up a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I can't imagine which part of Civil War would be enhanced by Pepper being there, but power to y'all that can.

I mean, that's probably part of her point.

She doesn't want to be there just to do another scene where she's a prop to some Tony Stark emotional drama.

• Locked thread