Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

In that case we can look forward to 5 games per every 9 year cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
All typhon mods all the time every day. Psychoshock is incredible and Mimic lets you explore places you can't otherwise easily get to and use magic powers without the enemies attacking you.

Nothing more satisfying then being an operator and strolling about killing everything with your mind as they search fruitlessly for where the death is coming from.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I do wonder what this means for Arkane. Bethesda probably has too much invested in them to shutdown at this point. Assuming they're not allowed to work on another uncertain project, I could see them transitioning to bigger worlds, working on the sort of sure bet things Bethesda itself does. Theoretically, there's a common underlying design ethos between games like Prey and New Vegas. I love Arkane's meticulously crafted and dense level work, but I can't deny being excited at the prospect of an Arkane lead Fallout, or Skyrim with a kick action.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd rather not have Arkane's talent being watered down by Bethesda's garbage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I'd rather not have Arkane's talent being watered down by Bethesda's garbage.

IPs are just a medium for expressing creativity. I'd prefer for them to stick to their own stuff, but that talent should shine wherever it's applied.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

IPs are just a medium for expressing creativity. I'd prefer for them to stick to their own stuff, but that talent should shine wherever it's applied.

Tell that to Valve, whose adoption of that philosophy caused their flagship series to die immediately

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Tell that to Valve, whose adoption of that philosophy caused their flagship series to die immediately

What do you mean? They just straight up stopped releasing games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I don't care about IPs but my personal opinion is that Arkane makes really good games while Bethesda makes mediocre games and if it was up to me then I'd rather not give Bethesda any excuses to boss around Arkane's creative process.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

HenryEx posted:

There's only one Neuromods Lab map. The room where you wake up at the start of the game is the exact same room you wake up in after the failed exam.
You can see this by glitching outside the room on the "first day". The game just seamlessly keeps going, assuming you're on the second day and have just broken the window. Speedruns used this a lot (well, before they patched the GLOO gun, dunno if it's still possible)

That's weird as hell and really neat.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I don't care about IPs but my personal opinion is that Arkane makes really good games while Bethesda makes mediocre games and if it was up to me then I'd rather not give Bethesda any excuses to boss around Arkane's creative process.

More than anything it would probably depend on what they would be working on for those IPs. Them handling a spin-off/sidequel to Fallout/TES a la New Vegas would be fantastic, but working on a main entry would probably see them being micromanaged by Bethesda/Zenimax to hell.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I do wonder what this means for Arkane. Bethesda probably has too much invested in them to shutdown at this point. Assuming they're not allowed to work on another uncertain project, I could see them transitioning to bigger worlds, working on the sort of sure bet things Bethesda itself does. Theoretically, there's a common underlying design ethos between games like Prey and New Vegas. I love Arkane's meticulously crafted and dense level work, but I can't deny being excited at the prospect of an Arkane lead Fallout, or Skyrim with a kick action.

Dishonored (especially the sequel) was already walking the line between "Superhero action game" and "immersive sim."

My guess is they'll just be quietly pushed over the edge to where they're exclusively making superpowered FPS games. Probably with literal superheroes, since it seems like Marvel/DC money is one of the few sources left for securing a AAA budget.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dishonored 2 - an awesome game with almost no testing that launched horribly broken, sullying its name and tanking sales

Deus Ex: MD - a medium-to-good game released without any optimization and launched buggy and laggy and jaggy and with basically no important story beats in a game series that is utterly defined by its story. Studio execs decide to lock storylines and boss fights up in DLC that is never released, and the game series is shelved due to disappointing numbers

Prey- a great game launched with virtually no fanfare and somehow despite being mechanically sound and smooth to play, the sum of its marketing buzz was "COFFEE CUP!" and now the game will be reviewed as a commercial failure because no one knows what it is or why they would like it.

It's ALMOST as if a failure to support a game is a damning indictment of the publisher and not the dev team and canning a series that someone else made because you don't know how to sell it is KILLING my favorite series...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dishonored 2 had "almost no testing?" The performance was horrible but it was incredibly bug-free on release. I can think of 1 bug and 1 crash in the entire thing that I knew about when I played through it, before it had any patches.

Prey was also extremely well-tested, although the one big problem it did have (the save corruption) was serious. But with how often games are released either unfinished or practically broken these days, I'd say whichever company did the QA for these games (arkane or bethesda) did a really good job.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Digirat posted:

Dishonored 2 had "almost no testing?" The performance was horrible but it was incredibly bug-free on release.

Doesn't really matter if it's technically bug free when you can't even play it. Running as poorly as it did on a range of really common computer builds would seem to indicate that either their testing was shoddy or that they knew about the problems but where unable to fix them in time for release for whatever reason. Doesn't help that the first level was one of the worst offenders in terms of terrible performance, so people started a new game and immediately knew it was a busted port.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Doesn't really matter if it's technically bug free when you can't even play it. Running as poorly as it did on a range of really common computer builds would seem to indicate that either their testing was shoddy or that they knew about the problems but where unable to fix them in time for release for whatever reason. Doesn't help that the first level was one of the worst offenders in terms of terrible performance, so people started a new game and immediately knew it was a busted port.

It ran pretty well on consoles.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah I never had a problem with the performance of DH2 on PS4. It chugged a bit during one or two of the scenes where Billie is driving the boat into a harbor but there's no action during those so whatever.

Also had no performance problems with Prey, but I finished the game before they hosed the performance on it. Which btw, they finally acknowledged that they're aware of and working on a fix for...

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You could make a million reasons why these games don't sell as well as they should. Dishonored 2 also came out during the holiday season unlike the first which came out around August 2012. That probably hurt its sales a bit.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I also think these games are a bit too esoteric for the AAA mass market. They'll never get a crazy amount of sales, just like how Platinum games are quite good and well reviewed for the most part but way too Japanese in tone for the average consumer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did they fix the ps4 fov inventory bug yet?

Ibbz
Dec 21, 2005
First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women
I know its been mentioned already that Dishonored 2 outperformed Prey, but I was still surprised by how abysmal sales were on Steam for a major title:

Prey
http://steamspy.com/app/480490

Dishonored 2
http://steamspy.com/app/403640

Hopefully sales of Prey don't drop off completely and it's able to keep on selling.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Do games ever become sleeper hits or is that only a tv/movie thing

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Wafflecopper posted:

Sure, but not usually on a AAA scale depending on what you mean.

Indie game gets release > popular youtube picks it up and plays it > interested people pick it up > good word of mouth > game is popular

Not something you generally want to rely on as a business though and it's not something you can really do with big budget titles.

The biggest example of a sleeper hit in recent years I can think of was Demon's Souls, which was released in Japan and Asia and had a full (but janky) English localisation, but it got picked up by interested parties and word of mouth until there was an official English localisation in Europe and USA and that led to the Dark Souls series as it stands today.
Sony regretted not promoting DeS as a first-party title, and so they tried to recapture that with Bloodborne.

Also I guess there's Dangan Ronpa which literally has a western and PC release because of a SomethingAwful Let's Play, but that's a relatively cheap title.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't think sleeper hits are possible for AAA+ games. It's all about the proportion of how many sales would they have to suddenly get in comparison to how big the budget was and in the triple A case that's unrealistic. It's definitely a thing for cheaper titles though.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GUI posted:

You could make a million reasons why these games don't sell as well as they should. Dishonored 2 also came out during the holiday season unlike the first which came out around August 2012. That probably hurt its sales a bit.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I also think these games are a bit too esoteric for the AAA mass market. They'll never get a crazy amount of sales, just like how Platinum games are quite good and well reviewed for the most part but way too Japanese in tone for the average consumer.

Watch a typical LP of any im-sim and you'll see the player beelining for every objective using the most obvious route and have their minds blown by discoveries like "EMP grenades disable electrical devices". These games are so few and far-between that the average gamer is conditioned to overlook their appeal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Karpaw posted:

Watch a typical LP of any im-sim and you'll see the player beelining for every objective using the most obvious route and have their minds blown by discoveries like "EMP grenades disable electrical devices". These games are so few and far-between that the average gamer is conditioned to overlook their appeal.

Is that really the players' fault? The reason that is a mind blowing thing is, as you say, because 99% of video games with the option don't do it, so why would they think to try it?

I like Prey because it doesn't force you to be creative if you don't want to be, but if you do decide to try new things it branches out in a million different ways. Allowing the player to beeline for objectives may be necessary for the dreaded Dum-Dum Gamer Market, but it can be just as fun if that's the kind of game you want to play.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 21, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Bethesda is not in the cult classic business. All the great non-Bio/Bethesda RPGs are cult classics, aka failures that nerds loved anyway

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Karpaw posted:

I've been watching a blind playthrough of it by a guy I'm subscribed to and he's pretty much the opposite. If anything he ends up being painstakingly thorough in most areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z1HMEpfaRY

CJacobs posted:

Is that really the players' fault? The reason that is a mind blowing thing is, as you say, because 99% of video games with the option don't do it, so why would they think to try it?

In the case of Arkane's recent offerings I would say yes, since they straight up give you a tutorial early on telling you that you can "play your way."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Basic Chunnel posted:

Bethesda is not in the cult classic business. All the great non-Bio/Bethesda RPGs are cult classics, aka failures that nerds loved anyway

Like Witcher 3?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Speaking of "do it your own way", I feel like there was probably some really easy way to start towards the Hardware Labs towards the beginning of the game, but I couldn't find it so I climbed onto that hanging decorative thing in the middle of the lobby and made a glue ladder on a nearby wall to climb up to the door.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In, I think, Life Support there's a dead crew member that used GLOO to clog up and stop a ventilation fan. Is there any significance to this?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

To subtly let you know that you can stop fans with gloo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It looked intentional, but it could have been the result of frantically trying to zero in on a mimic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that you occasionally find trails of panic-goo someone splattered everywhere like a fleeing octopus which usually lead you back to the culprit. It's a very accurate representation of me whenever I try to use the drat thing in combat- that being, firing wildly in every direction trying to hit a phantom who keeps fuckin' teleporting everywhere and oh great now I'm dead again fine I'll just shoot the drat thing

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
The fact you can't gloo mimics that are transformed bugs me slightly.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

BobKnob posted:

The fact you can't gloo mimics that are transformed bugs me slightly.

Does work within some of the lore about what happens when they transform though, can't glue what's not there.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Like Witcher 3?

I said "great"

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.

ragzilla posted:

Does work within some of the lore about what happens when they transform though, can't glue what's not there.

You can shoot them though. Sometimes(not usually for me) you can even throw things at them and hit them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't think it's been said yet, but I love how the exterior of the station matches the interior. Maybe they cheated and made it a tiny bit smaller on the outside, not sure, but it looks close to the same proportions.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Have been avoiding the thread while playing the game, just beat it, and wow. I'm honestly not sure how the two in-progress licensed System Shock games are going to top this. The ending was disappointing, but really I have very few complaints about it other than that. Just about any time I thought to myself, "I wonder if I can..." the answer was almost always "Yes!" The gameplay was good, the level design was absolutely top-notch, most of the writing was solid, the art design was interesting enough to be remarkable but also very well executed. I have nitpicks here and there, but overall, just... this game has been a delight from start to almost-finish. Catching up on the last few pages of the thread makes me quite sad to see that this didn't sell especially well- while I think the story wrapped up well enough that I don't need a Prey 2 (3?) I absolutely want to see more games like this from Arkane, regardless of the IP. Between this and Dishonored, I'm hard-pressed to think of studios I like more right now.

e: and related to the game's poor sales, I agree that they very much dropped the ball on the marketing. I saw the name of it at e3 2016 and ignored it because they didn't make me care, and then heard nothing else until it came out and a guy I watch on youtube sometimes played it and it was amazing. I talked to a lot of my friends who are interested in immsims and none of them had even heard of it at all either.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 23, 2017

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

in the age of franchise reboots and remakes, ss1 will be the first time people that didn't game in the 486/pentium1 era will be able to enjoy one of the most powerful titles in pc gaming history

ss3 better deliver harder than bioshock and its sequels or I'll be pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

From the Dishonored thread:

freebooter posted:

If you never played Dishonored 1, it's $2.50 on Steam right now, which is insanely good value for one of the best games of the past 10 years.