Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, both as the originator of 4chan via moot and ADTRW (it's really weird to see the full name of that subforum in a real rear end book) and the stepping off point to gamergate when Quinn's disgruntled ex-boyfriend spewed some garbage.

She called Depression Quest a bad game which some people on twitter seem to think that she is a pro-gamergater anti-feminist or some poo poo. :cripes:

well, i mean the game is terrible and i like weird though provoking poo poo. Quinn didnt deserve any of the awful poo poo at all, but she isnt some magical game creating genius/humaniterian/amazing person that needs constant adulation and sainthood in my opinion. but yeah that doesnt surprise me that GG take that as vindication or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well, i mean the game is terrible and i like weird though provoking poo poo. Quinn didnt deserve any of the awful poo poo at all, but she isnt some magical game creating genius/humaniterian/amazing person that needs constant adulation and sainthood in my opinion.

Yeah and Nagle basically says as much. Not surprisingly she is deeply sympathetic to women like Sarkeesian who have been the recipients of multi-year hate campaigns driven by the alt-right for the gentlest basic feminist critique of some video games.

Ironically she was ran off twitter because progressive/SJW leftists didn't like her thesis.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Yeah and Nagle basically says as much. Not surprisingly she is deeply sympathetic to women like Sarkeesian who have been the recipients of multi-year hate campaigns driven by the alt-right for the gentlest basic feminist critique of some video games.

Ironically she was ran off twitter because progressive/SJW leftists didn't like her thesis.

What part? Her argument that the left needs new ideas and that the twitter pepes are a symptom of capitalist decay without viable alternatives?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

business hammocks posted:

What part? Her argument that the left needs new ideas and that the twitter pepes are a symptom of capitalist decay without viable alternatives?

I think the part where she links the counterculture of transgression of the 1960s as well as the excesses of identity politics to the alt-right made some people feel very defensive.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

this. Sarkeesian is good, i don't agree with everything she says, but its mostly cool and good and she doesn't deserve the poo poo she gets. sure she worked with some shitheads but she was smart enough to remove them and broaden her approaches.

Quinn,,, reading her various blogs/tweets/social media even the long eron thing. she strikes me as kinda of a lovely person who uses people and throws them away. i know people like her personally, my ex was one. they are toxic as gently caress people who make you feel like poo poo constantly. it sadly wouldn't surprise me if half the stuff the ex said was true. that being said, it should never have gone public and she didn't deserve that level of poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like new ghostbusters. thanks to the mouth breathers you can't (rightfully) criticize it because all of them flipped out over THE GHOUL FIGHTERS ARE LADIES NOW NOT MY GHOSTBUSTERS!!!??? the best part about that was those vocal chuds seemed to only enjoy ghostbusters on a superficial level anyway, like action figures and tee shirts and poo poo and not as an all-time great comedy so their meltdown was doubly stupid.

or the guy who made that dragon cancer whining it wasn't selling because people could just watch it on youtube. i mean it sucks to say so to some dude whose kid died of cancer but uhh maybe make a game that's worth playing??

it does kind of own how in their insanity these gamegate types have made their targets unassailable to even correct criticism. their own worst enemies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's like new ghostbusters. thanks to the mouth breathers you can't (rightfully) criticize it because all of them flipped out over THE GHOUL FIGHTERS ARE LADIES NOW NOT MY GHOSTBUSTERS!!!??? the best part about that was those vocal chuds seemed to only enjoy ghostbusters on a superficial level anyway, like action figures and tee shirts and poo poo and not as an all-time great comedy so their meltdown was doubly stupid.

or the guy who made that dragon cancer whining it wasn't selling because people could just watch it on youtube. i mean it sucks to say so to some dude whose kid died of cancer but uhh maybe make a game that's worth playing??

it does kind of own how in their insanity these gamegate types have made their targets unassailable to even correct criticism. their own worst enemies.

this. they create their own enimies and dont allow for genuine criticism and it allows for alot of assholes to hide behind progressive values and say "see i did nothing and didnt gently caress up. it was those bigots saying i was lovely". also new ghostbuster was terrible movie and feigh played the "woke" card hard so he act like it wasnt his fault he sucks at making those kind movies. rlm said it best, they should have did what disney did with episode 7.

anway, i have never been able to play that dragon cancer, its to close to home in various ways.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 23, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Groovelord Neato posted:

:agreed:

I would also be interested in a comparative study of the overlap between people who, say, post obsessively long wookiepedia articles about "Unnamed Rodian in a Jacket"'s 5 second appearance in a Star Wars Clone Wars clip (which by itself would make them somewhat awkward but ultimately harmless spergs who just spend too much time thinking about the minutiae of random crap), and the kind of people who flip their poo poo over SJW BLACK GAY LESBIANS IN MUH GHOSTBUSTERS. There's probably some overlap (the first group does include "George Lucas/Disney raped my childhood with the new Star Wars movie" types after all, though there is the question of whether this type of person would specifically be upset over progressive-looking elements or just over the fact that any changes at all were made to their favourite means of escapism), but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of spergs would just retreat into even more obscure corners of the internet to flee the increasing level of social interaction imposed on them by having to deal with the slapfight between regressive edgelords and easily triggered tumbleristas/normal people.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 23, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dreylad posted:

I think the part where she links the counterculture of transgression of the 1960s as well as the excesses of identity politics to the alt-right made some people feel very defensive.

Heh. They do protest to much, I would say :v:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They're also the ones setting precedent for people to yell that criticism is racism or whatever. They really do less than nothing to preserve the world they want

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They're also the ones setting precedent for people to yell that criticism is racism or whatever. They really do less than nothing to preserve the world they want

Idiots bad at achieving goal, news at 11 :v:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Dreylad posted:

I'm sad but not surprised that this happened, the moment I read her criticism of tumblr-liberalism I knew it would be a lightening rod due to her heightened profile and association with Chapo.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/878328592815407104

So looking at the replies to this I know I'm not the only one, but I'm in the minority thinking it's pretty lovely that these lot are all buddy buddy now? I couldn't even stand to be in the same room as ArmouredSkeptic, it just seems like because they aren't personally affected by the hateful poo poo they spew they can just opt out of it when they want.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah i feel you it's like when you see politicians of what's supposed to be the good party being buddy buddy with people that try to legislate to destroy everyone that isn't a rich white male.

or rgb being good friends with scalia despite the fact he's done more damage to this country in his lifetime than anyone but a couple of presidents.

just makes it all feel so empty.

gently caress i can't even look at my brother let alone speak to him now that he's gone full on alt-right maga poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zikan posted:

I'm sad but not surprised that this happened, the moment I read her criticism of tumblr-liberalism I knew it would be a lightening rod due to her heightened profile and association with Chapo.

yeah. call out culture/tumblr liberalism idpol on the left is crap and only hurts people

Praseodymi posted:

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/878328592815407104

So looking at the replies to this I know I'm not the only one, but I'm in the minority thinking it's pretty lovely that these lot are all buddy buddy now? I couldn't even stand to be in the same room as ArmouredSkeptic, it just seems like because they aren't personally affected by the hateful poo poo they spew they can just opt out of it when they want.

thats contra and lindsey ellis and others, not alt right people.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Bipartisanship is a means and an end. Decorum is what's important here people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is a troll free zone.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats contra and lindsey ellis and others, not alt right people.

shoeonhead and armouredskeptic second and third from left.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah i feel you it's like when you see politicians of what's supposed to be the good party being buddy buddy with people that try to legislate to destroy everyone that isn't a rich white male.

or rgb being good friends with scalia despite the fact he's done more damage to this country in his lifetime than anyone but a couple of presidents.

just makes it all feel so empty.

gently caress i can't even look at my brother let alone speak to him now that he's gone full on alt-right maga poo poo.

i can understand supreme court wise. you have to work with each other until you retire or die. you kinda have to become friends or at least get along.

i mean i have friends who are right wing, even far right wing, it sucks sometimes but their is life outside politics.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, I know it's all just poo poo talking each other on the Internet but when there's people being harassed because of these lovely view, maybe pretend you don't think it's just a game?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

life outside politics.

not really. it's pretty difficult to be friendly with someone when you know they're an utter shithead with no empathy for anyone but themselves.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is a troll free zone.

shoeonhead and armouredskeptic second and third from left.

ehh. isnt ArmouredSkeptic one of the better ones? i mean if just doesnt like tumblr liberalism, thats not exactly terrible.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

not really. it's pretty difficult to be friendly with someone when you know they're an utter shithead with no empathy for anyone but themselves.

well yeah but life isnt a political/humanities course. you have to work with people who have different or lovely beliefs then yours. sometimes you can look past it and be friends with them, not everything has to be a death struggle.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i can understand supreme court wise. you have to work with each other until you retire or die. you kinda have to become friends or at least get along.

i mean i have friends who are right wing, even far right wing, it sucks sometimes but their is life outside politics.

Yeah in the end it's just about being part of the same social circles, be it "world leaders" or "youtubers who really loving care about the internet culture war and those other youtubers who also really loving care about the internet culture war but have the wrong opinions". You might deeply disagree on everything that has real world impact, but unless you're just going to knife the other guy in the back then and there, you have to treat the actual issues as a game where all players are buddies or at least capable of being civil to avoid going mad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

civility is garbage.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

civility is garbage.

yeah but so is the alternative, you gotta choose

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 23, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no...or else i woulda said gotta be civil since both choices are bad. tone arguments are the bastion of the weak willed.

it's really loving lame to go hmm this person thinks women and black people are subhuman well just have to be polite and cordial while they're not only morally wrong but also empirically wrong about literally everything.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

blowfish posted:

yeah but so is the alternative, you gotta choose

Actually shouting down garbage humans has a pretty good track record, which trying to all get along and appease them has literally never worked.

E: also people who complain about lefty snowflakes and safe spaces should probably get the poo poo kicked out of them at every opportunity just to prove what hypocrites they are.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah but life isnt a political/humanities course. you have to work with people who have different or lovely beliefs then yours. sometimes you can look past it and be friends with them, not everything has to be a death struggle.

Yeah, Garrett and the others have chatted with them and I was in a chat with Sh0e commenting on a video.

They're the "what is this nuance you talk about?" kind of person. I saw sh0e talking about when Trump won that he wouldn't be so bad and that Pence was someone to worry about. Dumb? Yes. Malicious? I don't think so. The video was ostensibly made to try and help her LGBTQ audience.

These people travel in the same community as Paul Elam ("always let a rapist go free"), Black Pigeon Speaks ("sexual slavery of women is the only sane thing to do") and Carlgon. ("I doxxed a woman for wearing a shirt") They're pretty okay by those admittedly very low standards. Sh0e actually said in the chat that she hated Elam and I heard she's the one who convinced Carl to take down the tweet doxxing that random woman.

No one is without hope, ya know? Literal Neo-Nazis have turned their lives around. I think these two can as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I saw sh0e talking about when Trump won that he wouldn't be so bad

has she done a video about how how reality proved her wrong?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is "tumblr liberalism" in this context and why is it bad?

Because the only use of it I've ever come across can at absolute worst be described as faintly tedious if you have no reason to care about it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. isnt ArmouredSkeptic one of the better ones? i mean if just doesnt like tumblr liberalism, thats not exactly terrible.
They're the only two that bothered protesting when contra's videos were taken down by spurious copyright claims. Whereas the rest of the "free speech" crowd didn't care because they have not ever really been about free speech.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

Actually shouting down garbage humans has a pretty good track record, which trying to all get along and appease them has literally never worked.

lovely liberalism is the least bad option right up until the point where you can justify a glorious revolution or at least a moderate upheaval of the social order. Arguably, even at a small scale, sad idiots like Carlgon don't merit that level of attention :v:

quote:

E: also people who complain about lefty snowflakes and safe spaces should probably get the poo poo kicked out of them at every opportunity just to prove what hypocrites they are.
:agreed: it's funny how tough manly rightwing men also turn into scared little snowflakes at the slightest hint of pushback.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Picture seems a little advised, my face is literally Dan O's there.

If there were a pair that could probably be talked over to the side of basic human decency it'd be Shoe and AS, but their circle is so loving toxic, it's little wonder why people are saying this wasn't the best idea.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Because the only use of it I've ever come across can at absolute worst be described as faintly tedious if you have no reason to care about it.

Yeah this thread seems really close to just dunking on Garrison stereotypes of SJWs. Like this:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Isn't a thing among any person who matters. Y'all are just giving legitimacy to people who characterize any and all social justice activism as just neon-haired, screeching harpies.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

alt right definition: everything to the left of milo. keywords: SJW, snowflake, third wave feminism, trigglypuff

normal definition: feelgood liberalism that's often divorced from reality and more focused on self-congratulatory circle jerks or making a show of being hostile to Bad PeopleTM without any further attempts at solving or even considering the root causes of why there are too many Bad PeopleTM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blowfish posted:

:agreed: it's funny how tough manly rightwing men also turn into scared little snowflakes at the slightest hint of pushback.

they're the quickest to block on twitter, it owns.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

aware of dog posted:

Isn't a thing among any person who matters. Y'all are just giving legitimacy to people who characterize any and all social justice activism as just neon-haired, screeching harpies.

Eh. The outrageous examples rarely cross over from tumblr to real life, but saying that self-styled progressives have settled into lovely ineffectual tactics more suited for internal propaganda than actually beating people who don't already agree with your underlying assumptions is valid IMO.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

blowfish posted:

Eh. The outrageous examples rarely cross over from tumblr to real life, but saying that self-styled progressives have settled into lovely ineffectual tactics more suited for internal propaganda than actually beating people who don't already agree with your underlying assumptions is valid IMO.

this. they exist but they are rarer then people act like.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
As Nagle argues, Tumblr politics matter as much as 4chan politics insomuch that they themselves aren't important but the kinds of transgressive identity politics they dole out have spawned bigger movements and reactions across the Internet. Being critical of the extremes of identity politics isn't condoning other kinds of criticism that tend to come in the form of the harassment of women and minorities. Nagle herself is a feminist and she criticizes modern ID politics from a feminist perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. they exist but they are rarer then people act like.

:agreed: to an extent, but in practical terms, movements are often measured by their loudest crazy lunatic members rather than by their average members in the eyes of the public unless they manage to become such a successful mass movement that an appreciable proportion of the public becomes average members. Also, this

Dreylad posted:

As Nagle argues, Tumblr politics matter as much as 4chan politics insomuch that they themselves aren't important but the kinds of transgressive identity politics they dole out have spawned bigger movements and reactions across the Internet. Being critical of the extremes of identity politics isn't condoning other kinds of criticism that tend to come in the form of the harassment of women and minorities. Nagle herself is a feminist and she criticizes modern ID politics from a feminist perspective.
is a valid point (plus it means that SA is relevant by the transitive property :v.)

• Locked thread