Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Blasphemeral posted:

I just finished The Library at Mount Char on this thread's recommendation.

It's a bizarre novel.

I got about a third of the way in on pure curiosity, and then it dug its claws into me and I could hardly put it down after that. I really enjoyed it.

It's got a unique setting and does "people who grew up only tangentially related to our society" really well. It's got a mystery/heist groove to it, in that there's a secret back-plot that unravels throughout the book and there's a reveal of a couple key points at the end. It skirts close to a deus ex machina but manages to avoid it deftly, IMO.

If you're one that doesn't like stories told from multiple perspectives, this one might not be for you. There's ~3'ish main characters and they each get a comparable share of the page-count. They each have a pretty distinct voice.

There were a couple of genuinely beautiful passages in it.

If you're looking for something really different, give it a shot.

I picked up the audiobook on the strength of this recommendation. Since I'm flying across country in a few days I though a 16 hour listen would be perfect for the plane ride there and back. Sadly, I made the mistake of playing the book a little bit just to make sure I wasn't setting myself up for a miserable flight. This in turn led to me finishing the book in 3 days of near non stop listening. Really engrossing, interesting prose, and though the ending was weaker than the narrative preceding it I thought the story came to a thoughtful and earned conclusion. Hell of debut for Scott Hawkins. I'll definitely be checking out his future work.

Can anyone recommend something vaguely similar? I do still have to take those long flights.

VVV Yup. It has been a decade though, so maybe it's worth a reread.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I picked up the audiobook on the strength of this recommendation. Since I'm flying across country in a few days I though a 16 hour listen would be perfect for the plane ride there and back. Sadly, I made the mistake of playing the book a little bit just to make sure I wasn't setting myself up for a miserable flight. This in turn led to me finishing the book in 3 days of near non stop listening. Really engrossing, interesting prose, and though the ending was weaker than the narrative preceding it I thought the story came to a thoughtful and earned conclusion. Hell of debut for Scott Hawkins. I'll definitely be checking out his future work.

Can anyone recommend something vaguely similar? I do still have to take those long flights.

American gods, but you've probably already read it

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Finished Charming.

I dig the prose. It isn't as well-written as Rivers, or as breathless as Dresden gets, but it's solid, especially for the first book in a series. Funny. Good voice, fun dialogue. The fights are weird in that they're interesting and well-described, but a little too specific sometimes, a little too complicated.

There's arcs, character development, lots of mythology, neat supernatural stuff- but I'm somewhat unsatisfied by the end of it. I can't put my finger on why, either. At a guess, there were a lot of things going on, maybe too many, and some didn't get enough attention. Kept turning pages though. :shrug:

Handled the werewolf stuff much better than I thought it would. Better than Grave Peril, not as good as Summer Knight. Read it if you like your UF on the sardonic and stabby side of things.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Yeah, I enjoyed the Pax Arcana books a good deal. Also I'm on book 2 of October Daye, and it's real good. I honestly think Verus is just about even with Dresden as my favorite UF, though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Book 1 of Alex Verus is today's Audible sale. Would recommend it to any UF fan that doesn't have it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Book 1 of Alex Verus is today's Audible sale. Would recommend it to any UF fan that doesn't have it.

With the caveat that book 1 contains very little of what makes the franchise distinctive and is pretty generic Urban Fantasy that mostly sets up stuff that gets rethought later.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The library at Mount Char was good.

Hope the author keeps on writing, I'm excited to see how they grow as a writer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't have any other place to vent, but I'll try to make it tangentially on topic to this thread.
I was reading the latest Alex Verus book at a Starbucks on my Kobo Glo HD (a FANTASTIC and simple ereader) and when I got home I saw my ereader had a broken screen and was nonresponsive.

Now I find that the Glo HD is freaking discontinued. :suicide:
I don't know what to do or which new non-kindle ereader to buy. Waterproofing is a complete non-selling point to me and 6" (for a screen) was more than fine. Eff Kobo, man. :mad:

Should I just get a Nook Glowlight Plus for 70 bucks until prices come down on other ereaders in a year?

And I'm going to have to finish reading the book on my desktop through Calibre. :rolleye:
Those of you who haven't read the Verus series absolutely should, and I guess be careful with putting ereaders in pants pockets.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Why non-Kindle?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Khizan posted:

Why non-Kindle?

Presumably they prefer their ebooks in EPUB format, which I completely understand given that Amazon DRMs their ebooks. (And also, Amazon's hardware feels cheap as gently caress.)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Aerdan posted:

Presumably they prefer their ebooks in EPUB format, which I completely understand given that Amazon DRMs their ebooks. (And also, Amazon's hardware feels cheap as gently caress.)

Nooks are absolute dogshit compared to Kindles tho

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Aerdan posted:

Well, they also use Calibre, which converts that poo poo to EPUB on the fly.

I wish Amazon released a cheap Kindle with proper scroll-buttons like K4 had, whatever the current E-Ink screen model is and a backlight. That's all I want.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Megazver posted:

Well, they also use Calibre, which converts that poo poo to EPUB on the fly.

I wish Amazon released a cheap Kindle with proper scroll-buttons like K4 had, whatever the current E-Ink screen model is and a backlight. That's all I want.

Calibre can also strip DRM from kindle ebooks fairly efficiently.

I'm still using a Kindle Touch and I gnash my teeth over the lack of actual buttons every single day.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Slanderer posted:

Nooks are absolute dogshit compared to Kindles tho

I actually really liked my Nook. Sits good in the hand, was easy to read... but the store wasn't as good as Amazon's. I have a Kindle Fire that's two or three years old though, and I enjoy it. My biggest complaint is that the axis-rotation poo poo is sometimes really wonky in annoying sort of ways, and there's no good way to sort your books. I want to categorize those suckers like a Steam list.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Calibre can also strip DRM from kindle ebooks fairly efficiently.

I'm still using a Kindle Touch and I gnash my teeth over the lack of actual buttons every single day.

The buttons on the Nook were those very responsive, click-clack sort of buttons that were absolutely wonderful. The button equivalent of bubble wrap.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Drifter posted:

I don't have any other place to vent, but I'll try to make it tangentially on topic to this thread.
I was reading the latest Alex Verus book at a Starbucks on my Kobo Glo HD (a FANTASTIC and simple ereader) and when I got home I saw my ereader had a broken screen and was nonresponsive.

Now I find that the Glo HD is freaking discontinued. :suicide:
I don't know what to do or which new non-kindle ereader to buy. Waterproofing is a complete non-selling point to me and 6" (for a screen) was more than fine. Eff Kobo, man. :mad:

Should I just get a Nook Glowlight Plus for 70 bucks until prices come down on other ereaders in a year?

And I'm going to have to finish reading the book on my desktop through Calibre. :rolleye:
Those of you who haven't read the Verus series absolutely should, and I guess be careful with putting ereaders in pants pockets.

You could look at the Icarus Illumina E654BK (Amazon) / Boyue T63 (Banggood) which is a 6" reader running android with a backlight, physical buttons, touchscreen, 8GB internal storage + SD Card.

The only real bad thing about it is the large bezels.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Oh hey the new Faust novel is out. .

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

vulturesrow posted:

One of the few book series on Kindle Unlimited worth reading if anyone uses that, too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Kate Daniels' series, written by Ilona Andrews is really fuckin' neato. Like it a lot. Don't judge it by its covers, please. Those are terrible.

Oh yes, those are terrible covers. When I went to the bookstore last month to get the latest Kate Daniel's book, the store clerk and I had a good laugh about how those covers make an urban fantasy story full of horrible monsters and action look like a romance novel.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 28, 2017

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
It really does blow my mind that all his stuff is on Kindle Unlimited.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Oh nice. Just in time to fill my lull in summer reading.

Anyone have a brief synopsis of where we are to date. I've read all these books, but I forget the nuanced character developments that change from book to book. Castle Doctrine ended with him dealing with the Necromancer and saving his other magician lady friend who becomes a quasi-crime boss? At the end, is he actually part of a Vegas syndicate and he and his demon girlfriend are broken up?

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

hatelull posted:

Oh nice. Just in time to fill my lull in summer reading.

Anyone have a brief synopsis of where we are to date. I've read all these books, but I forget the nuanced character developments that change from book to book. Castle Doctrine ended with him dealing with the Necromancer and saving his other magician lady friend who becomes a quasi-crime boss? At the end, is he actually part of a Vegas syndicate and he and his demon girlfriend are broken up?

Quick synopsis leading up to the new book: Nicky, the old crime boss of Vegas, is still on the run from the feds, so Jennifer rallied the various parts of the city's underworld to form a new syndicate with her at the top. Daniel stepped up to be her right-hand man. The Chicago mob tried to move in, Daniel and company killed the gently caress out of them and then drove to Chicago to kill even more of them, making it clear who runs the city now. Meanwhile there's this mystical sideplot with the First Story, a story repeating itself over and over through time, and the characters in it are doomed to endlessly reincarnate on different parallel worlds. The Enemy, the ongoing big bad and the Story's villain, is trying to hunt Daniel down. At the end of the last book it turned out that Naavarasi, the Rakshasi queen, has been manipulating everybody and might be a lot smarter than she always looked. Daniel and Caitlin are still together, but Nadine tried to give Daniel proof that Caitlin's manipulating him. He's ignoring her because jesus, it's Nadine talking.

I'm about halfway through the new one and yeah, this is the good stuff. Action, squicky body horror, and some really funny bits. Also, unless it came up earlier in the series and I forgot, we have confirmation that vampires do not exist in the Faust universe. And there's another Revanche Cycle nod in the first chapter, the only crossover thing I've spotted so far. Well, that and Faust finds out what happened to his hemicuda.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Re: the new Faust book, the retired architect at the bar who gives him romantic advice is probably the missing Lucifer. No idea why, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Stonecutter Joe, everyone knows vampires don't exist. :v:

(I hope you've read Stross' Laundry books)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Re: the new Faust book, the retired architect at the bar who gives him romantic advice is probably the missing Lucifer. No idea why, though.

It's absolutely Lucifer. Schaeffer practically hits you over the head the with it considering the story he tells Faust.

Now, if you're saying you have no idea why Lucifer is "missing", I don't think anyone knows yet (at least I don't recall it). I imagine it's probably something similar to Gaiman's Lucifer. Just got fed up with the job and walked away. Or maybe he's playing a deeper game working behind the scenes against The Enemy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
At a panel with Jim Butcher. Anything y'all want me to ask him?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
What's the deal with Mac? Also when is the next book coming out?!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

wheatpuppy posted:

What's the deal with Mac? Also when is the next book coming out?!

Next book is TBA still. Turns out he's been having a LOT of problems with getting his new home built; and hasn't had a stable workspace for close to a year.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"Toward the end of the books, Harry will leave Chicago, and there will be Kaiju"

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 1, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ask him about that YA about Harry's daughter going to the school for magic community's children that he mentioned once in an interview.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Getting a bunch of random facts about the YA series he wants to write post Dresden, with dresden's daughter going off to St Marks, with a whole bunch of supernatural entities that only deal with Children, and you forget them when you grow up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Maggie Dresden has straight up PTSD and agoraphobia

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Jim hates writing short stories. Thinks they're a LOT harder than novels, due to the space compression.

His supposed last short story will Harry's first day with Maggie going to the Zoo, told first from Harry's POV, then Maggie's, then Mouse's POV. That'll be the last one to go into Brief Cases

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He considers the graphic novel stories to be canonical, more or less. He views them as "stories Harry tells Maggie", so the bones of the tale are accurate, but told through a slightly unreliable narrator

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

At a panel with Jim Butcher. Anything y'all want me to ask him?

How embarrassed does he think Patrick Rothfuss's few remaining fans should be at this point?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Butcher's dream casting for a film Harry Dresden would be Hiddleston, or a younger Fassbender.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What other urban fantasy series have come out since Dresden started that he's most enjoyed?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't get to ask him that one; apologies!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

Jim hates writing short stories. Thinks they're a LOT harder than novels, due to the space compression.

His supposed last short story will Harry's first day with Maggie going to the Zoo, told first from Harry's POV, then Maggie's, then Mouse's POV. That'll be the last one to go into Brief Cases

This just made me realize that I want a fully mouse pov story now

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I got a chance to chat a little bit more at the autograph table. He wouldn't say anything further about Mac, claiming he's "too important", but still maintains that he's revealed a lot about Mac already that we just haven't all picked up on yet.

The Blackstaff is going to become more important later, its "much more" than the speculation on it being Mother Winter's walking stick, and it's based off a staff from Celtic mythology.

And for all the Codex Alera fans, he gave me a whole infodump about the early history of Alera. When the Romans showed up, the initially had befriended the Children of the Sun, and made an alliance with them. (And the Children of the Sun are photosynthetic plant beings, who used Alera's Earth and Water and Wood furies much like the Icemen used the water ones). "Something" happened, and that's when the Romans basically had to go "full Spartan, Kali-death cult" for "around a thousand years" where they only lived to fight. The original Gaius Primus busted enough heads to get people to listen to reason on how they could be so much more, and that's how the Aleran Empire was founded. I joked that I'd read that prequel novel, but he said it would be just too bleak for him to want to write a whole book about it.

Oh, and his plan for the Maggie YA series would be for it to be released concurrently with latter Dresden novels.

And he's "about 10 chapters in" to Peace Talks, due to his living situation having him down to "around 5%" of his normal output speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Re-read Skin Game. I totally forgot Michael and Charity being uh... way too cool to Harry while under the impression he slept with Molly. I feel like that maybe should have caused a little friction there during the denouement.

Also I really want to read a spin-off starring Harry's two daughters getting in wacky hijinx with Mouse at boarding school.