Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
KTM's TPI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1TVszsAXc8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
X post from the video thread.
Lyndon Poskitt is riding his Dakar rally bike in Erzberg. Here's the prologue.
https://youtu.be/pXOobp4TeuY

Live at 5:30 AM eastern tomorrow morning.
https://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1QVQDZUF91W11/red-bull-hare-scramble

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

biek is ready and loaded up and hopefully tomorrow will be a gr8 fathers day with the kids at home and me racin'

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I've encapsulated Satan's Kingdom hare scramble into one post race image:

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 19, 2017

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I got Steg Pegz the other day. They're cool and good, and let you ride without stressing your arms. My first time testing them on the MX track yesterday:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I got Steg Pegz the other day. They're cool and good, and let you ride without stressing your arms. My first time testing them on the MX track yesterday:

Do they rub funny at all or make it feel like you can't let the bike go in a crash if you're in something a little more gnarly?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

My first few rides they felt very weird. That was on tight wet singletrack. I then went and participated in that Satan's Kingdom race, which was entirely wet slimy rocks, and promptly got used to them. From that point, I'd say no, I don't see myself getting caught on them in a crash.

The first few hours I had them though, I'd probably say they were a bit dangerous.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm glad a goon got a set of those since I was wondering how pegs like that work. When I went dirt riding last week, my arms and hands got tired extremely quick whenever I was standing and leaning back a lot. I assume that means I need to use my legs more.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Interesting. I've been thinking about getting a pair and I'm glad to hear they're alright.

Deeters posted:

I'm glad a goon got a set of those since I was wondering how pegs like that work. When I went dirt riding last week, my arms and hands got tired extremely quick whenever I was standing and leaning back a lot. I assume that means I need to use my legs more.

You can also point your toes in a little. Sometimes that helps.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
what is the consensus on forearm / elbow armor vs arm pump

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

what is the consensus on forearm / elbow armor vs arm pump

Grip with your legs?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Grip with your legs?

to some extent sure but more like things wrapped around the forearms making arm pump that much worse

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Buy gear that fits.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've never noticed a difference between when I wear elbow pads and don't. I didn't even know that was a thing.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I definitely get more pronounced arm pump with certain types of gear that constrict the forearm but I don't mean during light trail riding or street riding so maybe i came to the wrong place

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

to some extent sure but more like things wrapped around the forearms making arm pump that much worse

Fair enough. I can't ride without elbow pads, it gives me the heebie-jeeebies.

I don't notice a difference between pressure suit and regular strap on elbow pads, fwiw. Anything really gnarly unless I'm focusing a lot on gripping with my legs I get some arm pump.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Fair enough. I can't ride without elbow pads, it gives me the heebie-jeeebies.

same thats why im asking because i know people in this very thread forego forearm protection in order to reduce or eliminate their arm pump and I wanted to hear more about their trade off

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

same thats why im asking because i know people in this very thread forego forearm protection in order to reduce or eliminate their arm pump and I wanted to hear more about their trade off

its me

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

In case anyone wants to know what racing a NETRA hare scramble is like, watch about a minute of this video starting at the cued time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZauSTwBE48&t=508s

EDIT: This is why I do enduros now

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 24, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

In case anyone wants to know what racing a NETRA hare scramble is like, watch about a minute of this video starting at the cued time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZauSTwBE48&t=508s

EDIT: This is why I do enduros now

Shoulda gone over the rocks to the left.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

EX250 Type R posted:

I have a full Fly body armor shirt thing that has elbow/forearm guards with two straps around the forearm in addition to the long-sleeve Underarmor-type shirt material that it's all attached to. Haven't noticed any more arm pump than when I rode without it.

I did possibly the most boring thing ever on a dirtbike yesterday. Went out to a trail with a co-worker and it turned out to be completely flat and straight and about 8 feet wide for like 40-45 miles. Literally not a single corner, terrain, or obstacle you had to slow down for. Going flat out in a straight line gets boring after about 2 minutes. Lots of bridges to wheelie over though I guess.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Further exploring around rural Somerset; there's a a whole green highway unbeknownst to most of great trails and abandoned roads to explore.

The above trail is amazing! Nearly two miles all uphill of rocky, muddy, root covered byway. On my last run of it I got a little bit overconfident with the power and slid onto my arse. Completely unscathed but a root got under the hand guards and..

Had to hot shift all the way home and pray for green lights. Luckily the gear changes on the xr are very forgiving. Had the biggest smile on my face all day.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

Further exploring around rural Somerset; there's a a whole green highway unbeknownst to most of great trails and abandoned roads to explore.

The above trail is amazing! Nearly two miles all uphill of rocky, muddy, root covered byway. On my last run of it I got a little bit overconfident with the power and slid onto my arse. Completely unscathed but a root got under the hand guards and..

Had to hot shift all the way home and pray for green lights. Luckily the gear changes on the xr are very forgiving. Had the biggest smile on my face all day.

Still a great bike. And nice work wth the lever. Very impressive getting a root past those hand guards. :golfclap:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Thanks. I may take to keeping a spare set of levers in my bike toolkit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

Thanks. I may take to keeping a spare set of levers in my bike toolkit.

I always carry a spare clutch lever and a small vice grip (although someone just stole that), fwiw. Maybe it's overkill, but it's one of those things that makes me nervous and it's pretty light.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Replacement was cheap and had the hidden benefit of introducing a great little offroading store and workshop less than a mile away so that's new tires sorted!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

did 2 hours of riding on Saturday to prep for an upcoming race this weekend with a friend who does WNYOA, which i guess is more GNCC like racing than NETRA. I brought him to one of my super sekret practice tracks and he recorded this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGlhsH-rt_0

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

did 2 hours of riding on Saturday to prep for an upcoming race this weekend with a friend who does WNYOA, which i guess is more GNCC like racing than NETRA. I brought him to one of my super sekret practice tracks and he recorded this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGlhsH-rt_0

That looks like a really fun track. But... a sxf on it seems like it'd be pretty rough.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

That looks like a really fun track. But... a sxf on it seems like it'd be pretty rough.

This doesn't necessarily apply to that rider, but I've found tons of dudes are going SX on KTM these days because
1) J-Day is taking over
2) A rejection of the XPLOR fork on newer offroad models

Everyone revalves their suspension anyway.

I've also found Yamaha has significantly improved their market share in JDay at least. NETRA is on its way.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

This doesn't necessarily apply to that rider, but I've found tons of dudes are going SX on KTM these days because
1) J-Day is taking over
2) A rejection of the XPLOR fork on newer offroad models

Everyone revalves their suspension anyway.

I've also found Yamaha has significantly improved their market share in JDay at least. NETRA is on its way.

Yeah, I'd think you'd still want to get the xcf at least (if not xcf-w) instead though just because you get a little more lugging and fewer flame outs.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I rode a '17 250 XC-F yesterday with traction control. I was doing figure 8's in the field attempting to get it to break traction. It wouldn't do it. It was magical - fastest cornering I've ever done.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F4t48q9Fuc

I replaced my clutch discs and rode in the woods. Open invitation for pizza and beer if anyone wants to help rut some poo poo up and make something fun out here.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

EX250 Type R posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F4t48q9Fuc

I replaced my clutch discs and rode in the woods. Open invitation for pizza and beer if anyone wants to help rut some poo poo up and make something fun out here.

Edit: durr

rally fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 4, 2017

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rally posted:

Are you in Colorado by any chance?

Well the video title is 'Riding in Southern New England Woods' so

that's a strong maybe!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I just bought an 87 dr100, I'm excited. Needs some things but will be a good runner. No pics yet cause my phone died in 2017.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

looks like you found the root of the problem

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I was pushing my bike into the garage and was getting a lot of resistance so I started poking around and saw it. Very In-tree-guing

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

aww that's rooted mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

An invasive root kit affecting the power band