Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I like that they used the ice bomb specifically to encase their own forces in ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The best part about this slow, tedious, hell map is that if you start getting impatient through this wonderful slog, it will get easier and easier to take risks chipping away at the snow. eventually you might want to get a move on so badly that you expose the high crit guys without any units actually capable of hitting them, allowing them a free chance to crit someone down and force a restart.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Why not play on non-perma death mode? I mean, I know why people don't do that, I just think that's a poor decision when you're dealing with a tedious bullshit gimmick like this map.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I never even realized this map had items on it, I just always beelined for Zola and finished it in a couple of turns.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

I never even realized this map had items on it, I just always beelined for Zola and finished it in a couple of turns.
Revelation has a few maps where it just dumps a truckload of items into your lap, such Chapter 7 and this one. As to why they do this, your guess is as good as mine.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Revelation has a few maps where it just dumps a truckload of items into your lap, such Chapter 7 and this one. As to why they do this, your guess is as good as mine.

Maybe it's to add to the sense that you're powergrinding to face on an ultimate evil, beyond anything you faced in the other campaigns?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Why not play on non-perma death mode? I mean, I know why people don't do that, I just think that's a poor decision when you're dealing with a tedious bullshit gimmick like this map.

In previous games, you could make a pretty good argument they were balanced around it. The challenge was primarily getting everyone out alive, not just clearing the level.

Revelation, however, is not balanced at all. So.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

Maybe it's to add to the sense that you're powergrinding to face on an ultimate evil, beyond anything you faced in the other campaigns?
That would require a little more awareness from the creative team. Alas, that is not the case.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

"Explain what the hell is that ice bomb. And why did you do that to your own team??"

Tell us where the archduke is!
HA! You really think it'd be that easy?
What a naive little girl you are. I always have an escape plan!
What are you—?!

You LITERALLY just let him grab her. I...goddamnit

Corrine!
Sakura!
Let her go, Zola! Are you really going to stoop this low? Do the honorable thing!
Pfft to your honor! I'd rather win than be honorable! After all, the winner is the one who writes the history books!

I hate Zola because he is a constant story point, but he is also one of the few "smart" people in Fates

Now, put down your weapons! If you don't, the girl—

*Zola dies*

It can't be... That magic...

*Leo appears*

Again, if you're just going to massively shortcut stuff this much, why even repeat the storyline in the first place?!

Hiding behind hostages—you disgraced the entire Nohrian army.

Thank you for saving Sakura!
Leo... Will you join us? We could use your aid in the battle ahead. I don't plan to fight with Nohr; I've learned of a dire truth...
What are you talking about?
After I refused to side with Hoshido or Nohr, I learned that King Garon...

Guess how this'll go

What? How do you know this?
Listen carefully. He didn't want to start a war with Hoshido. He's being controlled by our real enemy—someone hiding behind the scenes. This invisible foe is who we should really be after!
I see. Well then, tell me who is pulling the strings. Name the manipulator!
I'm sorry, Leo... I can't say who it is.

Leo you were always my favorite

Leo, please! Wait! I can't say anything now, but—
You're a traitor. I don't want to hear your excuses.
What? You still don't believe I have the best intentions?

You have abandoned our family, and I have extended you the same courtesy. I no longer think of you as my sister. Got it? I only came here to clean up that vile mage. You and I will settle our differences some other time.

Agh!
Corrine!!
Don't worry, Azura, I'm fine. I don't think he was aiming at me. The door to that banquet hall has seen better days, though...
Go on, Corrine. The real archduke should be inside.
Along with the pathetic Hoshidan prince, Takumi.
What? Do you mean—

*Leo gallops away*

Wait! Leo!
...Leo...
Corrine! The banquet hall is filled with people! They've all been tied up!
You can't be serious!

*A moment later*

Hello. Enjoy your 10 minutes of glory before being forgotten forever like always.

Thank you so much! You really saved my life! I'm absolutely starving! My tummy has been rumbling for hours now!
Are you truly the archduke of Izumo?
Why yes! That's me! Archduke Izana, first heir to the divine bloodline, descen—

Even the hair part?
...Yes.
Awww...
H-he's even more informal than the imposter...
Ah! The fair Princess Sakura! I believe your brother is around here somewhere. He was left in a situation similar to my own. I can only imagine how hungry he is now...
Takumi really is here?

So in Birthright, he randomly fell into a canyon. Conquest, he was fine. Revelation, he managed to reach here.

Ugh, why do I keep trying.

Sakura? And...Corrine and Azura. What are you all doing here?
Well...I decided that I would fight alongside Corrine.
What? Sakura, you've turned against Hoshido as well? Ryoma is going to be devastated...
No, I h-haven't! Neither has Corrine. No one here has, actually. None of us plan to fight against Hoshido. Corrine says there is something much worse than Nohr's aggression going on.

This is starting to become chair-levels of dumb for this plan.

Takumi...
Hmph... You'll have to excuse me if I don't find this flimsy explanation acceptable. Sakura may believe in your story—I don't.
I see...

You've got it all wrong, Prince Takumi!
What are you talking about?
I'm not going to go into all the little details, but basically—join Corrine. That's what the gods are telling me! Just got some prophetic stuff from them!

These gods are very convenient with no backstory on them.

Huh? Something prophetic?! I can't believe that important prophecies just...happen all of a sudden like that.
Hey, who's the keeper of prophecies here, you or me? They come as they come. Would you really ignore directions sent down from the gods?
You know, you say that, but... How can I choose to side someone who won't side with her homeland? Of course I'm grateful they saved us, but... I just can't trust Corrine.

You think that's tough? This is arguably at his nicest introduction on a path.

I don't like breaking out the big bows, but if a little extra prophesizing is needed... Well, Prince Takumi, that's just what you'll get!

*ahem* "Everything is not yet seen... The truth is far and hidden low. The one upon the water's surface, he who knows all is the true foe..."
Whew. There ya go. The gods really want to speak to you, Prince Takumi. Princess Corrine is not your enemy.
Then who is? What was Sakura saying a moment ago... That Corrine knows something about our supposed enemy?
Yes. I can't explain it all now, but what Archduke Izana says is true. We came to Izumo hoping to find a way to defeat our mystery enemy.
Oh, that's right. You were going to ask me about the Seal of Flames.
I'm sorry, but I don't know a thing about it.

What did you literally just see him doing

Premonitions! Prophecies! Haven't you been paying attention?
Even though I can't help you with the Seal of Flames... My family does have a saying that's been passed down for generations.

So, there you have it!
What does that mean? Is Corrine the one who shuns the light and the dark?

She literally shunned the Dusk and Dawn dragons

Maybe??

I think so! Thus, I need to show you a new path. If you'll excuse me, I'll go hold a little ceremony and ask an ancient god for help.
Uhhh...right now?
Yep! Fortune favors the bold! Strike while the iron's hot! Carpe whatever! I want to get this little ceremony over with, in any case.
Ancient gods aren't exactly easy on the eyes.

You think "ancient gods" are just the writers of Fates

*Izana leaves*

I'm sure things will work our. Let's have faith and wait here for him.

*Time passes*

Archduke, what's wrong?! You look exhausted!
I had a chat...with an ancient god... But even I don't understand it...

A dragon?
I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually... I really really hope you do, too.

You did what now?

WHAT?

EXCELLENT QUESTION

Well, the ceremony I performed always requires something in return. Every message has a price, and the cost of this one was my life. I'd really like it if a bard wrote a nice song about my noble sacrifice...
Oh, Prince Takumi...I know I asked before, but... Make sure you help out Corrine, OK?
But...I...
What, you're still not willing? I'm dying here, and you're still unsure?

You'd figure the route advertised to to recruit everyone would have everyone.

NOPE

Archduke...

*Izana dies*

Why...
*sniffle...sniffle...* Oh, Izana...
Giving up his life for the good of everyone. He was an admirable man.
I'm so sorry... This is all my fault.

The most literal thing said

I didn't realize the cost of my goal, as right as I believe it to be...
You must keep believing it. Don't waste his sacrifice.
Takumi...
Listen. I'm going to help you accomplish your mission. I'll fight with you. After all, it was the archduke's dying wish. So. I'm coming along...Sister.

At least not on this route.

Well, if Lord Takumi is going, I guess we'll have to go too!
Yup! I'd sooner die than be separated from Lord Takumi.
And you are?
The name's Hinata! I'm one of Lord Takumi's retainers. I'm skilled with a katana—if I do say so myself. You'll like having me in a fight!
My name is Oboro. Like Hinata, I am a retainer to Lord Takumi.
If at all possible, I'd rather not interact with the Nohrians. But if we are to be allies, then I will do my best to cooperate...
For Lord Takumi's sake.

Oboro is slightly less useful as her PSkill isn't a universal Elbow Room.

All right... We're glad to have you with us. That's three more valuable allies...

...But why??

Tae fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 24, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And this is the part where I almost kill myself banging my head against the wall.

For the love of Naga, I hope they fired everyone involved with writing this story.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Right, the Takumi possession thing never happens in this route. Kinda weird that they rehash so much needless poo poo but that gets a pass. At least, I think it does. Revelation is a bit of a blur.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Izana dies because reasons, and Takumi seems to be completely fine. Unless he turns out to be possessed later. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Revelations never use that plot point in any way.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
At least we got a good character out of it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
:rip: Izana. Whoever was in charge of Revelations script was clearly a huge fan of anti-climax.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 24, 2017

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
I choose to believe that Izana only faked his death for amusement and/or to make Takumi play along. It's pretty dumb, yes. But in a way I prefer. Also, this way, he doesn't have to suffer the pains of war on his hair.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I didn't really mind the ice map beyond the low deployment restriction for some reason, but this was inexcusable.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It feels like Izana was supposed to talk about Valla here and die that way, but they changed it at the last second.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Izana dies because reasons, and Takumi seems to be completely fine. Unless he turns out to be possessed later. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Revelations never use that plot point in any way.
Correct. The whole "Takumi is possessed by an unseen force" plotline is dropped. And no, it's not like it'll come up as a shocking twist at the end of the game or be referenced in a throwaway line, one of the biggest questions from Conquest that Revelation is supposed to explain is completely forgotten. Because gently caress you, that's why.

And then Izana's death. What can I say about it that isn't made obvious by the game itself? This was just bad writing, plain and simple. And what's worse is that the editors thought that this was a good thing, which infuriates me even further. This is not an emotional death used to motivate the player or something similar, this is a shock value death, one of the cheapest and dumbest ways to create tension and drama in a story. If you have to resort to shock value to continue the plot, you are a bad writer/editor, end of story.

MightyPretenders posted:

It feels like Izana was supposed to talk about Valla here and die that way, but they changed it at the last second.
And here's an insanely easy fix to the problem. Make it so Takumi (or Leo, for that matter) doesn't trust Corrine until she gives a name to the "hidden enemy", so Izana opts to sacrifice himself and reveal the truth to everyone gathered. Throw in "Izana had a vision of this event" or something, and boom, Izana's death has a purpose and is slightly less frustrating to deal with.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

As for Takumi being fine here, in Birthright he we heard that he went to the bottomless canyon in Izumo, so I assume that he is fine on this route because he was caught here instead of continuing on to the canyon.

Edit:

AradoBalanga posted:

This is not an emotional death used to motivate the player or something similar, this is a shock value death, one of the cheapest and dumbest ways to create tension and drama in a story.

It's not much of an emotional death to Corrine either, since in this timeline she only met Izana a few minutes before he died. Sure she felt guilty for his death, but she would feel the same for someone who died of old age on a different continent.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 24, 2017

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

We all know Izana foresaw how the Revelation plotline goes and decided to nope out of it :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Tae posted:

Well, the ceremony I performed always requires something in return. Every message has a price, and the cost of this one was my life. I'd really like it if a bard wrote a nice song about my noble sacrifice...
Oh, Prince Takumi...I know I asked before, but... Make sure you help out Corrine, OK?
But...I...
What, you're still not willing? I'm dying here, and you're still unsure?

Whoever wrote Izana's scenes really should have just done the whole game, this dude rules.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Whoever wrote Izana's scenes really should have just done the whole game, this dude rules.

At first, I thought he was ineptly faking his death to try to get everyone to work together, which would have been both in character and funny, but it seems that's not where the plot was going, for some reason.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
Who ever wrote this route should never get a job as a writer again.
He died in the dumbest manner possible and not even Izana could take it seriously.
They had a perfect excuse to do so, they could've shown the ritual, had Corrine defend Takumi, something, anything.
But instead jut like everything else in this stupid story, any development is all off screen. And what on screen is poo poo

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Chapter Ten and its bullshit with the ice. There were a lot of pissed off gamers when we all collectively realized you had to break ALL the ice to get items/enemies.

And Izana just dies prematurely after the chapter via a cutscene and you don't even get to recruit him. Considering how late he joins in BR/CQ, this actually could have been a good time to expand on his role but lolno.

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 24, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least Izana is going out on a high note.

That's a drat shame, it seems like he'd be useful.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Leo

Leo don't ride your heavily armored warhorse across hardwood flooring you rear end, who taught you your manners?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - How Did This Happen?!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Going to show of ballistician this run? Tankumi could be a thing.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

This is starting to become chair-levels of dumb for this plan.

I wouldn't go THAT far. I mean, at least this time they have an excuse for not explaining anything properly (and yes, I agree that would've been a better way for Izana to go- sort of a "pass the knowledge on to the heir to preserve it" thing which he brings out in response to Takumi's demands for an explanation), as opposed to The Chair, where they just... spring it on the other characters at the last second instead of at least hinting that Garon might've been compromised somehow (well, there they had the even flimsier excuse that the Nohr siblings are heavily indoctrinated and thus would be rather hostile to the very idea of Garon not being Garon, as shown, but considering they- Elise most of all- have literally no reason to be that loyal and Garon is never given any characterization other than "obviously, murderously evil" it just feels like they added it solely so the characters can't take the obvious route, and, as usual for Fates, never bothered explaining it; hell, even "the Nohr siblings are actually evil too, but they're not THAT evil" or "they're evil and waiting for a chance/excuse to take over" would be a better explanation than "the Nohr siblings aren't evil, but they're so loyal they'll serve Garon even when it's obviously detrimental to Nohr until he melts into vaguely-humanoid sludge before their very eyes").

Granted, the "excuse" still reads like something they threw in at the last second to "explain" why Azura never mentions Valla in the other routes, but baby steps. Also, I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned already, but the third route detracts from everything else because it overrides any sense of "the game is over, the characters can rest now" the other routes may have had (not that Conquest had any, because it was more of a playable advertisement, but you get the point).

Incidentally, about the second set of DLC maps (pretty sure I haven't previously mentioned them due to heavy-duty spoilers): Since the story of those maps ends in "all the children vs. third route last boss," my headcanon is that they're meant to be a direct sequel to both the Birthright and Conquest routes, while simultaneously giving the kids at least SOME relevance. It still probably falls flat, though; I can't say for sure since I never bought it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's not a bad idea, but clumsy execution. Like if Corrin could say Valla did it... why would that convince anyone? None knows Valla even exists yet they seem to be hung up on the importance of not being able to speak the name of the kingdom itself.

Stuff like Leo going "I see. Well then, tell me who is pulling the strings. Name the manipulator!" basically, that's just a blatant contrivance you could get around in dozens of ways.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 24, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's a pretty big omission you left out there, description.

I'll give you two seconds to guess which plot point we have to repeat this time

It looks like...a plume of smoke?
That isn't just any smoke... It's my brother's smoke signal.
Saizo's there? What does the smoke signal mean?
He is. And it means that he's engaging a large number of enemy troops.
We need to go help him, then!
No, Lady Corrine. If he has sent up that specific smoke signal...

That's right. Mokushu time *sigh*

That signal is meant to warn allies away; he believes it is too dangerous there.
We...should head in a different direction.
You can't be serious... Kaze, that's your own brother out there. No, I've made up my mind. Everyone, get ready for battle! We're going to help Saizo!

Kaze, you have nooooo idea...

The enemy we are facing can't be beaten if we don't gather allies. And I won't sit on my hands when an ally is in need! We have to be willing to help each other, no matter how dangerous a situation is.

Very awkward if you lose everyone in recruiting Saizo.

If you insist, Lady Corrine.
Thank you...

*A moment later*

This looks like the place where the smoke signal was sent up. Do you think Saizo and his foes are still in the area?
I don't know... It is difficult to tell. We've entered Mokushu territory. This area is heavily forested, making it easy to get lost. We should stay close. Look, there are footprints leading deeper into the forest. Let's follow them.

It's so dark and g-gloomy here... It's kind of scary, really.
If you need to, you can hold on to my arm.
Th-thank you...
We're pretty deep in the forest now. This place is practically a maze.
What the—! Lord Takumi, look out!

*Kaze blocks a shuriken*

Not just any shuriken, either. That was the kind Mokushujin fighters use.

What exactly do these shurikens look like? Do they have Kotaro's face on them like Batman?

Mokushujin are attacking us?!
They're about to; that was only a scout. There are more enemies heading this way.
Everyone, get ready for them!

Well, we start out in the middle of the enemy forces instead of being on the side.

This one has a relatively large deployment limit, which is just about right because both Rinkah and Gunter are level 5 aka unplayable.

Saizo's team (Using FireEmblemWiki from now on)

->

Orochi gained ONE MAGIC AND SKILL IN TWO LEVELS

Jesus christ

Reina's the same. The bigger shock is that Reina is here of all places.

->

PLUS ONE SKILL

PLUS ONE SPEED

PLUS ONE RESISTANCE

TWO LEVELS

What??

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Revelations RecruitmentTM

I'm also super into the 'put you in the same fights as last time but fail to have any explanation whatsoever because you've played the other routes' storytelling here (unless there's more dialogue after you start the chapter but before you begin). Super cool how siding with neither Hoshido or Nohr just randomly antagonises you to everyone else as well

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Slight correction: Orochi gained +1 Strength, +1 Magic, and +1 Skill in two levels. Admittedly, that's probably worse, but this is Revelation and writing painfully dumb plot points is more important to the staff than balancing the playable cast.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wait we're already on Chapter 11? It feels like nothing's really happened so far :psyduck:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Things happened, you're just numb to it because it's literally the third time you're seeing it in some fashion

Outside of chapter 7, every single mission has been repeated or sometimes copied directly from previous routes

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Things happened, you're just numb to it because it's literally the third time you're seeing it in some fashion

Outside of chapter 7, every single mission has been repeated or sometimes copied directly from previous routes

Let's be honest here, what's happened really in the grand scheme of things?
Corrine learned about Valla but can't tell anyone about it cause now she's under it's curse.
Nohr and Hosido are still fighting
The siblings are still angry
Everyone thinks Corrine is being dumb
And of course Iago is STILL loving with the party.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lets be fair though as surely everybody knows that Corrine is dumb.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Also, keep in mind we skipped the first 6 chapters before the split and basically skipped the snowevel.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
loving ninjas AGAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's an insanely minor detail but why did a scout throw a shuriken at us and blow his cover. they're ninjas.

• Locked thread