Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
I enjoyed everything about the Enter the Gungeon EXCEPT the very last bit of the game for each character. Without spoilers, though, if that's the problem you're running into though, it's probably worth the price.

Okay, so, I scoured the steam sale last night when I got home and couldn't find a game that matches sorta what I'm looking for:
Me and my friend like to play coop games online (pubg, hots, wow, dota, overwatch, terraria, minecraft, factorio, etc.). We're looking for a new game, more focused on exploration and such than just running through levels this time around. We've beaten Terraria and both loved it. We recently "beat" Minecraft story stuff. We've beaten Don't Starve Together and Factorio and we've played a few times through Starbound. We're not too concerned with potential difficulty issues as we're both generally pretty good. Neither of us have any VR hardware, so that's out already. A hosted server style gmae is okay (a la Factorio, Starbound, Minecraft, Terraria) as are more MMO-style games (WoW) provided they aren't too grindy (ArcheAge).

We were considering Ark, but the negative reviews dissuaded us; we were also considering Astroneer but the game's incompleteness dissuaded us. Anyone have any suggestions for us? So far Risk of Rain is looking to be the most likely option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

is instant-gaming.com a legitimate site? they have some deals that are much better than steam, and some that are marginally better but surprising...

Prey is $31.86 compared to Steam's $39.59 for example, but I have no idea if they're legit or not.

I heard about them from the ESO thread in our MMO forums so I tend to assume they're safe but I thought I should ask here first.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

my back pages posted:

I enjoyed everything about the Enter the Gungeon EXCEPT the very last bit of the game for each character. Without spoilers, though, if that's the problem you're running into though, it's probably worth the price.

Okay, so, I scoured the steam sale last night when I got home and couldn't find a game that matches sorta what I'm looking for:
Me and my friend like to play coop games online (pubg, hots, wow, dota, overwatch, terraria, minecraft, factorio, etc.). We're looking for a new game, more focused on exploration and such than just running through levels this time around. We've beaten Terraria and both loved it. We recently "beat" Minecraft story stuff. We've beaten Don't Starve Together and Factorio and we've played a few times through Starbound. We're not too concerned with potential difficulty issues as we're both generally pretty good. Neither of us have any VR hardware, so that's out already. A hosted server style gmae is okay (a la Factorio, Starbound, Minecraft, Terraria) as are more MMO-style games (WoW) provided they aren't too grindy (ArcheAge).

We were considering Ark, but the negative reviews dissuaded us; we were also considering Astroneer but the game's incompleteness dissuaded us. Anyone have any suggestions for us? So far Risk of Rain is looking to be the most likely option.
I'd give Ark a try. I dunno why it has a lot of negative reviews as I haven't played it in about 2 years but playing on a PvE or mixed PvE-Pvp zoned server with a friend dicking around with dinos and poo poo and building bases flying around on pterodactyls was a lot of fun. Though there really isnt an end-game or anything besides just building better and cooler poo poo.

There is also 7 Days to Die which again i haven't played in several years but it was a lot of fun with friends awhile back. They've added a lot of poo poo since then too and supposedly even better now.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Technobabylon (3.75)- This was on there for awhile and can't remember why I added it but it seemed pretty cool.

I reviewed this yesterday. Short version is, it's one of the best-written and well-acted indie adventures out there. It's got a complex story running through a very interesting world that builds and builds without getting confusing or messy. The puzzles are pretty clever, but there's not a lot of exploration or flexibility; you're just playing through a very solid story. Overall it's one of the better point-and-click games I've played.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No, I mean that after launch they patched in a bunch of hosed up and bad poo poo. Like there was a gun to research that took 72 hours. Real-time. In-game. Not one of those "72 hours but even when you're not playing it counts down" things. Literally 72 hours in-game. That wouldn't have even been okay had it been in at launch, but the fact that it came out after I was 90% done with the game and you can't cancel research so I was STUCK with that in a slot is bad. And then the microtransactions and the Clash Of Clans style base stuff that they slowly shifted emphasis onto.

It launched an incomplete piece of poo poo with some of the best core gameplay mechanics of the year. But they made it into a disgusting product that was an insult to Kojima's overambitious work on the thing.

And, all that said, it's STILL a loving phenomenal game.
I put in about 500 hours and did lots of invasions strictly to kill their guys permanently, so I didn't see the issue. God, those fifth plus set of bases taking days for each upgrade sucked. 100% is a bitch no matter what game you play. Kojima did his best to put his name and himself (and in my MB) all over the game as a constant reminder, and still had a Metal Gear that did nothing, lost the other one, and lost out on one or two missions for a third fight with Sally going all out on it.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Help

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

keep nier everything else is whatever

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I'm on the fence about getting Prey nice to hear some negatives about it.

Combat is serviceable at best and makes for 80% of the game. Enemies respawn in rooms previously cleared.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Nier 2 DLC just some throwback costumes and a few sidequests? As someone who 100%d it, it doesn't strike me as worth the price if so.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That price on mgsv is hilarious, it was $7 on humble a month ago.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Am I understanding correctly that buying the Strategy Game of the Year Bundle will get me Civ 6 cheaper than just buying the game by itself? I already have XCOM 2, so I'm guessing that will just do nothing.

EDIT: I suppose I could buy the bundle with the Steam controller instead if that seems worth it ($30 for the controller).

Yoked fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 23, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it depends on what you already own and the bundle pricing but it is definitely possible

the renowned explorers complete bundle is cheaper for me than the one dlc i dont own

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Xaris posted:

buy, play for 1.5 hrs, refund if you dont like it.

Personally I find the complaints about combat weird and never had a problem, at least not in that it detracted from the game. Sure, its not Doom or Wolfenstein or Metro, but I thought it was fairly "good", and serviceable at the very worst. If someone can get through Bioshock 1/2/Infinte/SS2/HL2/deus ex/dishonoreds/whatever today, they'll have no problem getting through Prey's combat since its better than many that came before.

I doubt anyone will be able to form a solid take on Prey after only 1.5 hrs. That being said I think it's fantastic and is the system shock 3 we deserve

Tenzarin posted:

The combat is better than the combat in Bioshock infinite?

the "combat" in bioshock infinite is so braindead and unoriginal that I quit the game early on. "look now you have fire powers" (tosses poo poo that's literally just grenades)

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Stickers? WTF? Is this fun? Am I missing something fun?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

nope

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
RE: dying light

My co-op group of 4 has just finished the main game and started the Following.
The main game is fun and parcour is done well, if too easy.
Sometimes suck rear end though and can get completely unfair.
Combat is very same after a while.

The Bozak hoard DLC is a stupid grind of increasingly difficult to achieve rounds. Fail and you start over. It's BAD.

The Following replaces parcour with buggies you need to maintain as was said earlier. The area is far too large and you end up driving from a to b losing each other and getting bored.

That said the achievement addicted people in my group wanted to play on the hardest difficulty...

to;dr: Dying light main game is good co-op but the DOCs are a drag/grindy.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
I realize it is divisive but how do I purchase Afterbirth+? Its only available in a bundle for 21 bucks and I just bought Rebirth and Afterbirth for 11 total.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what sort of search algorithm is steam using when "binding of is" returns zero results?

i have rebirth and afterbirth and the afterbirth+ bundle is 7.49 for me

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Thinking of getting two games. Anyone who's played either i'd welcome your input.

1. Xcom 2, loved xcom 1 but I've seen a bunch of people say it strayed from the formula in a not so good sort of way
2. The new ultimate ninja storm, anime games are sort of a guilty pleasure of mine and I enjoyed 3 a lot for what it was. I've seen complaints that this one is more focused on pvp than the predecessors while I mostly want a relaxing romp through the story with cool cinematics on special moves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ArbitraryC posted:

Thinking of getting two games. Anyone who's played either i'd welcome your input.

1. Xcom 2, loved xcom 1 but I've seen a bunch of people say it strayed from the formula in a not so good sort of way
2. The new ultimate ninja storm, anime games are sort of a guilty pleasure of mine and I enjoyed 3 a lot for what it was. I've seen complaints that this one is more focused on pvp than the predecessors while I mostly want a relaxing romp through the story with cool cinematics on special moves.

XCOM 2 is fantastic and a really solid iteration on the first game.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Too Shy Guy posted:

I reviewed this yesterday. Short version is, it's one of the best-written and well-acted indie adventures out there. It's got a complex story running through a very interesting world that builds and builds without getting confusing or messy. The puzzles are pretty clever, but there's not a lot of exploration or flexibility; you're just playing through a very solid story. Overall it's one of the better point-and-click games I've played.

I'm having difficulties keeping enthusiasm for the story because I find the cop charachter dumb as poo poo. Every time I play as him he keeps getting stupider and I want to punch him so hard.
Does it get any better?

Talking about Hollow Knight
It's really good! It gives me a huge Acquaria vibe.
The world is beautifully ruined and the insects are super cute. I feel awful killing them and I'm constantly afraid that the game is pulling an Undertale on me.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 24, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ArbitraryC posted:

XCOM2 is the same game as XCOM1, with more shiny and more bugs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tafferling posted:

I'm having difficulties keeping enthusiasm for the story because I find the cop charachter dumb as poo poo. Every time I play as him he keeps getting stupider and I want to punch him so hard.
Does it get any better?

The millennial starts deserving a punch too, so there's that.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I am loving these stickers!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Man, it's freaking hard to parse what games I should be getting, can you goons give me some recomendations based on the following list of games that I really enjoyed playing....

Dark Souls series
Witcher series
Risen series
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Darksiders series
Civ V
Warlock Master of the Arcane 1 & 2
Might & Magic X - Legacy
Star Crawlers
King's Bounty series
Xcom series
Grim Dawn
Diablo Series
Torchlight 1 & 2
Divinity Original Sin
Victor Vran
Van Helsing
Jade Empire
Orcs Must Die 1 & 2
Bioshock series
Fallout series
Alien vs Predator
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Medal of Honor
Prototype 1 & 2
Just Cause series
Max Payne series
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Shadows of Mordor
Batman series
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Ultimat Marvel vs Capcom 3

Also, can you include any little under the radar gems that I might have missed? For example, I never would have heard of Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter if I hadn't seen them mentioned several times in this thread.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm the last person to ask for recommendations and typically the first to give them... but I've been known to have a blind spot or two so I'm gonna ask this thread and see what ya'll come up with. For science.

I'm looking for a game with a really tight dungeon crawling loop similar to what end-game Diablo 3 is right now, but distilled into its purest form. Essentially, a dungeon crawler that isn't a rogue-like or rogue-lite, which is what most of them seem to be nowadays. I want RNG loot, properly feeling more powerful and turning once-difficult enemies into trash mobs through just a couple levels or loot upgrades. It's very likely that I'm looking for an indie title that flew under the radar, since I typically am the radar. Also, if the game lasted more than a few hours, that'd be nice. Plot not necessary, though some kind of variety to the combat and enemies is a plus. First person, third person, top down, I don't care, it's the loop I'm looking for. Surprise me!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

ArbitraryC posted:

Xcom 2, loved xcom 1 but I've seen a bunch of people say it strayed from the formula in a not so good sort of way

The big change in XCom 2 is the mission timers, which force you to advance towards your objective to succeed. The ultimate strategy in XCom 1 was to sit and wait for 20 minutes for the aliens to wander into your formation, and this shook that up.

I loved XCom 2 and thought the changes were great, but the kind of people that are crazy enough to spend 1000+ hours repeating the 'sit and wait' strategy got a bit miffed.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

DaveKap posted:

I'm the last person to ask for recommendations and typically the first to give them... but I've been known to have a blind spot or two so I'm gonna ask this thread and see what ya'll come up with. For science.

I'm looking for a game with a really tight dungeon crawling loop similar to what end-game Diablo 3 is right now, but distilled into its purest form. Essentially, a dungeon crawler that isn't a rogue-like or rogue-lite, which is what most of them seem to be nowadays. I want RNG loot, properly feeling more powerful and turning once-difficult enemies into trash mobs through just a couple levels or loot upgrades. It's very likely that I'm looking for an indie title that flew under the radar, since I typically am the radar. Also, if the game lasted more than a few hours, that'd be nice. Plot not necessary, though some kind of variety to the combat and enemies is a plus. First person, third person, top down, I don't care, it's the loop I'm looking for. Surprise me!
diablo 3 is throwing me off here because i wouldnt really call that dungeon crawling. do you actually want an arpg type thing?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is My Summer Car good at 11.99? I doubt I'd be able to pay attention very long but it sounds funny. I was hoping it would be cheaper.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Clarification: Steam sales no longer go bigger on the highlights, correct? It's just what the ads are talking about that day, right?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes the prices stay the same

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I need some help trimming my cart

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Sokani posted:

The big change in XCom 2 is the mission timers, which force you to advance towards your objective to succeed. The ultimate strategy in XCom 1 was to sit and wait for 20 minutes for the aliens to wander into your formation, and this shook that up.

I loved XCom 2 and thought the changes were great, but the kind of people that are crazy enough to spend 1000+ hours repeating the 'sit and wait' strategy got a bit miffed.

Yeah these were the complaints that I was questionable about, cause i enjoy optionable objectives that encourage rushing but I find mandatory limits stressful and unfun. I'm not really a sit and wait player in turn based strategies, but seeing them ticking down just invariably puts me on edge. Are they lenient enough that it's not that bad or do they really put your nose to the grinder?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DLC Inc posted:

the "combat" in bioshock infinite is so braindead and unoriginal that I quit the game early on. "look now you have fire powers" (tosses poo poo that's literally just grenades)

You gotta be nuts.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Awesome! posted:

diablo 3 is throwing me off here because i wouldnt really call that dungeon crawling. do you actually want an arpg type thing?
It has the loop. You go into a dungeon, you kill things, you get RNG loot, you use the RNG loot to get better. Like, even the trash on the floor can be melted down into useful components needed to make your not-trash loot better. It's an extremely tight loop and it works great. The fact that it's an ARPG doesn't necessarily have to do with the request. I'll take action, turn based, or whatever else there is; the important factor is you go out, kill things for loot, and use the loot to make it so you can go out and kill more things for more loot. In Diablo 3, those dungeons are the rifts and greater rifts, with greater rift levels being the thing you climb to feel more powerful.

Unless you're getting caught on the "crawling" pat of "dungeon crawling" which I never actually felt was supposed to dictate the literal speed of your traversal through a dungeon. I always interpreted it more in the sense that you are constantly exploring and discovering the entirety of a dungeon, crawling over it, to find every nook and cranny for as much loot as possible. Anyway, I'm agnostic to how quickly the actual dungeon traversal is. Crawling, running, doesn't matter if the loop feels good and tight. That's all!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

kater posted:

I don't know why you'd buy any sort of video on Steam when other services offer far better players and streaming quality.

e: Several of those aren't even on sale. You're just pulling our legs!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah these were the complaints that I was questionable about, cause i enjoy optionable objectives that encourage rushing but I find mandatory limits stressful and unfun. I'm not really a sit and wait player in turn based strategies, but seeing them ticking down just invariably puts me on edge. Are they lenient enough that it's not that bad or do they really put your nose to the grinder?

There are mods that make them lenient enough to never be an issue but in the base game they are tight enough on some maps that you have to double move a couple of times or lose dudes to the timer.

If you're on the edge, watch some videos or check out one of the many SA playthroughs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kater posted:

sculpting and rendering an axehead demon bust sounds vaguely erotic and like a keeper

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Xcom 2 timers are strict enough to demand attention but loose enough to not really be a problem if you address em. There are also tons of ways to either disable or lessen them. You can and should get one of the mods that disables the countdown while you are sneaking around at the start and the aliens don't know you are there, just because of how cool that is as a concept.

Game rocks poo poo and you shouldn't be afraid of it. It doesn't really care if you fail the timers, just things happen that you wish didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ArbitraryC posted:

Sometimes they will, most times though as long as you're moving you shouldn't have too much trouble. Also there's quite a few levels that don't have timers, the whole thing is really overblown.

• Locked thread