Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i was working on a mod that allowed for a Growing labor to be performed to keep fertility up in unpowered hydroponic basins but the project ended up spiraling out of control because quite frankly hydroponics are something of second class citizens right now. i ran out of time trying to get the fertility mechanics to work nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For hydroponics just grow rice. They benefit hugely from the fertility anyway and the crop turn around is so fast that losing one is usually meaningless. Once I get hydroponic rice up and going food is basically not a factor.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I grow rice in the basins and healroot in the dirt around them. Provides food and medical care for a colony of 20+ with two sunlamp-lit rooms (and some outside farms).

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 23, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Simple Sidearms is so good you guys :supaburn:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927155256

Grenades and molotovs are a big pain in the balls in vanilla. You either have a dedicated grenadier that you micromanage the gently caress out of so he doesn't :supaburn: your own dudes, or you don't use them. How about instead you have everybody in the squad have a long gun or a spear or what have you, and they also carry an EMP grenade or a molotov or heck, how about an incendiary launcher? And when the situation arises when you don't want to plink or stab but instead you need every goddamn tile lit up, you just click a button to switch weapons? Wouldn't that be just swell? :supaburn:

It sounds like such an iffy mod but wow, give it a try if you haven't, it adds so much tactical depth without going completely nuts (there are limits on how much bullshit you can cram in your loadout).

e: :supaburn: AAAA :supaburn:

e: The more obvious use is "oh a guy stabbed me in the face with a guisarme, rather than drop my gun on the ground and go fisticuffs how about I pull out my badass Crocodile Dundee knife and cut off his appendages with it" but wow it makes grenades so much more useful

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 23, 2017

Tofuslob
Jul 9, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Simple Sidearms is so good you guys :supaburn:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927155256

Grenades and molotovs are a big pain in the balls in vanilla. You either have a dedicated grenadier that you micromanage the gently caress out of so he doesn't :supaburn: your own dudes, or you don't use them. How about instead you have everybody in the squad have a long gun or a spear or what have you, and they also carry an EMP grenade or a molotov or heck, how about an incendiary launcher? And when the situation arises when you don't want to plink or stab but instead you need every goddamn tile lit up, you just click a button to switch weapons? Wouldn't that be just swell? :supaburn:

It sounds like such an iffy mod but wow, give it a try if you haven't, it adds so much tactical depth without going completely nuts (there are limits on how much bullshit you can cram in your loadout).

e: :supaburn: AAAA :supaburn:

e: The more obvious use is "oh a guy stabbed me in the face with a guisarme, rather than drop my gun on the ground and go fisticuffs how about I pull out my badass Crocodile Dundee knife and cut off his appendages with it" but wow it makes grenades so much more useful

That mod actually brought me back to the game because I was getting frustrated losing colonists to random animal attacks (though admittedly this was before i learned you can switch their behaviour to attack rather than flee)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I had never messed with any of the game's recreational drugs before - I come from the Just Say No generation - so I finally got around to growing some smokeleaf and within the first year multiple people addicted and a case of cancer. Ok no more drugs for you guys :nono:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Smokeleaf is good to have at hand, but I only manually order pawns to smoke it when they are in an exceptionally bad mood, such as after a divorce. Otherwise everyone's drug policy is set to no drugs, and I don't recruit anyone who has the chemical interest trait.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And then Tynan dropped a patch, maybe it's for the best :smith:

Tynan posted:

Alpha17b performance hotfix released.
RimWorld - Tynan
I’ve just released Alpha17b, a performance hotfix for Alpha17. Steam users will get it automatically. This is build 0.17.1557.

When we made the targeting AI smarter in Alpha 17, we also made it harder on the CPU. Players in late game were seeing drastically reduced performance. Alpha17b optimizes this and several other things. There are no changes to gameplay - just optimization of what's there already.

This update will work with your existing saved games, XML-only mods and (hopefully) most or all code mods.

If for any reason you want to continue on the older version, you can set your Steam beta branch to 'alpha17a'.

Sorry for any disruption! We’re also hard at work on Alpha 18.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Alpha17b has been out for almost 3 weeks at this point, hasn't it?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

Smokeleaf is good to have at hand, but I only manually order pawns to smoke it when they are in an exceptionally bad mood, such as after a divorce. Otherwise everyone's drug policy is set to no drugs, and I don't recruit anyone who has the chemical interest trait.
This is a mistake IMO, I create a custom policy which forces everyone to take penoxycyline every 5 days and wake-up every 3. The wake-up especially makes my colony way, way more effective.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had someone die specifically from wake up withdrawal and now I'm too nervous to touch the stuff :saddowns:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

smokeleaf has never been a problem for me- i let them have it as much as they want- until someone gets shot in the head and then collapses every time they take a toke. no one ever lives long enough for carcinoma to become a serious problem

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

I had someone die specifically from wake up withdrawal and now I'm too nervous to touch the stuff :saddowns:
If you only give it to them every 3 days they never get addicted or develop a tolerance; occasionally someone will have a heart attack but I just drag them to bed and feed them (herbal) medicine for half a day until they get over it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Isn't addiction a chance regardless of the dosage rate? Or do you need to establish a pattern now?

Seconding "smoke leaf for calming down emergencies"

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I've been avoiding adding content mods, but think it's about time I looked into it. Glittertech seems a little too much, but I'm considering EPOE and Recon and Discovery, which both get talked up a lot in this thread. Is there anything else worth looking into? I'm working solely with basic utility mods (and RimFridge) right now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Isn't addiction a chance regardless of the dosage rate? Or do you need to establish a pattern now?

Seconding "smoke leaf for calming down emergencies"
Addition is a test against tolerance, which is built up over time and has to go over a threshold value. The wiki covers it pretty well http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Drugs

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
My understanding is that you cant get sick from drugs if they dont have a tolerance so 2 days for weed and beer and 3 for wake up and yayo. I think they just changed it so wake up and yayo have a random chance of causing addiction now. If you make them stop when tolerance flag appears you can pretty much avoid sickness or cancer.

Withdrawal makes the pawn slow and sorta useless for a month but they get a huge hit to conciousness so anytime they are about to have a mental break or if they have chemical interest and try to go on a binge, making them smoke a joint will ko them instantly and you can drag them to a bed to sleep it off. A relapse doesnt reset the withdrawal counter just pushes it back a bit so relapsing them isnt a huge setback and in a pinch is an option.

Yayo and wake up carry enough risk that if you dont want to go through withdrawal with a pawn dont touch it. Addiction on these is now innevatible since you can get addicted off one hit even if the chance is low it will eventually happen. I use it situationally because i think the gamble is worth if you have the time to micromanage their withdrawal if they get addicted. You can give a yayo addict wake up and it will revert a lot of the withrawal effects without halting withdrawal but then you are gambling with another addiction. Its the American way though so full apeed ahead imo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the addiction chance on hard drugs is high enough that it can happen with just one usage so i'd definitely not encourage its routine use unless you are ready to nurse that addiction in one way or another. it will happen eventually. beer and weed are safe to use to divert mental breaks though, and that's their primary use. smokeleaf is obviously easier than beer since beer is this whole thing to make and smokeleaf just needs to be planted.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Exactly. Consumption rate doesn't matter. It's a flat percentage chance, which is shown when you go to the info section for that drug.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

enraged_camel posted:

Exactly. Consumption rate doesn't matter. It's a flat percentage chance, which is shown when you go to the info section for that drug.

My understanding is there is a threshold that has to be met before addiction can occur and one dose every 2 days for weed and beer does not meet it. Yayo and wake up barely cross the threshold on a single dose so there is a brief window you can become addicted making it a random chance of instant addiction. Flake is way over this threshhold so its instant addiction.

If you could do enough to drop your tolerance to 0 in a day without dying, addiction could still pop for like a month even if you dont touch it again because your tolerance has to decay back to around 85% 90% to clear the tolerance flag and low enough addiction cant be triggered.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

consumption rate DOES matter, the tolerance stuff definitely does make a big difference and it is the only way you're ever going to get addicted to weed or booze. but i'm pretty sure that hard drugs are addictive enough to be chancy even if it's only one hit so it's worth taking into account. the wiki says it's only possible to get addicted to wakeup if you have an 8% tolerance to it, but it also says that taking wake-up is a guaranteed heart attack in 2 years so ???

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Also pay attention to the date on anything with drugs if you are looking it up. I just had to look a bunch of stuff up and i guess they changed all this stuff in the last update so there is conflicting information out there regading the harder drugs like yayo and wake up. The wiki is accurate, but forum posts mostly arent.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Coolguye posted:

consumption rate DOES matter, the tolerance stuff definitely does make a big difference and it is the only way you're ever going to get addicted to weed or booze. but i'm pretty sure that hard drugs are addictive enough to be chancy even if it's only one hit so it's worth taking into account. the wiki says it's only possible to get addicted to wakeup if you have an 8% tolerance to it, but it also says that taking wake-up is a guaranteed heart attack in 2 years so ???

Yeah but i think a single dose now is like 15% tolerance or something so that first day theres like an 8% chance of addiction.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

But actually i dont know how it works. Is that a 8% chance dice rolled once? Every hour? 8% one hour 7% the next etc is actually a lot higher chance than 8%. So i dunno.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Still relatively new, so I recruited a guy going through wake-up withdrawal and he was bedridden for over half a year and still has...brain problems...

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Wilekat posted:

I've been avoiding adding content mods, but think it's about time I looked into it. Glittertech seems a little too much, but I'm considering EPOE and Recon and Discovery, which both get talked up a lot in this thread. Is there anything else worth looking into? I'm working solely with basic utility mods (and RimFridge) right now.

Astra Militarum Imperial Guard is pretty great and adds a lot of content. I'll post my whole mod directory when I get home, there's a lot of fun content stuff.

I'm currently hooked again. I went to my office once this week (today) and have around 45 hours clocked in the game since Monday. This game's a helluva drug

Garfu fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 23, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Grey Fox posted:

Still relatively new, so I recruited a guy going through wake-up withdrawal and he was bedridden for over half a year and still has...brain problems...

"If a pawn develops at least a large tolerance to Wake-up (50% severity), they will get Chemical Damage in the brain in a mean time of 120 in-game days. This results in a maximum consciousness of 50% for that pawn (slightly less severe than an unarmoured machine pistol shot to the brain)

Dont do drugs kids, its as damaging as a machine pistol shot to the brain.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Wilekat posted:

Hospitality mod is good. Chat up visitors for relationship boosts, recruit some if you really schmooze em.

Cthulu mods are real good, but that heavily alters gameplay.

Zombieland mod is fun, day of the dead. Eventually having all these drat zombie attacks is tiring.

Rebuild mod (forget it's name) is a mod where a destroyed item automatically has a rebuild order. Helpfully for IED traps. I have paired this with the aforementioned zombies in order to set them all on fire when they attack now.

Set up camp is a great QOL mod, pairs especially well with discovery and Recon mod.

Fishing mod and hunt for me mods are great, but your pawns will never go hungry again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hand me that brick is the only mod i consider 100% crucial, even beyond prepare carefully. i have no idea why hand me that brick isn't official in the game at this point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tynan probably thinks it makes the constructing jobs "too easy". :rolleyes:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
My mod directory:

Static Quality PLus conflicts with the Star Wars mod so I disabled it and I didn't like how Fluffy Breakdowns worked but everything else is enabled.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 23, 2017

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Finally got a good base going in the crash landed scenario:

A very effective kill box:

There were some problems with some of my walls on other fronts but i've got them thick enough now where everyone just filters into turret death.

Got a mortar T-T-Triple Kill! Mortars are great for thinning the herd before a raid starts.

Had a couple raids back to back, things didn't go well for the raiders.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
What triggers the name your colony/faction event? I've been playing this game for a few years now and we're still The New Arrivals.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

TACO_HERO posted:

What triggers the name your colony/faction event? I've been playing this game for a few years now and we're still The New Arrivals.

It always triggers within the first couple seasons for me. Sounds like the event is bugged for that colony.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

It always triggers within the first couple seasons for me. Sounds like the event is bugged for that colony.

I've had the same issue, but my colony is only three people so far (wealthy explorer start) and I've been choosy on who I let in.

I think you need four to trigger it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There is a lower pop threshold but I'm pretty sure it's only 1. Tynan might have changed it this alpha though :shrug:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

3 man starts still trigger it for me. The only thing i can think of is a second colony set up retriggers that build a bed, build a stove etc thing maybe that interupts it from firing. I had to ask earlier because i had those tags for a whole playthrough and couldnt figure out why they were stuck on.

If its not that i saw the option in the dev mode action menu to trigger the event but I've never messed with that stuff so im not sure if itll cause jank.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Which speaking of dev mode somebody needs to make a mod to let someone be your story teller and let them use the dev console to run your game.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've had issues with colony naming for awhile but I had written it off as a cthulhu mod thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

I've had the same issue, but my colony is only three people so far (wealthy explorer start) and I've been choosy on who I let in.

I think you need four to trigger it.

I've got 8+ and haven't gotten the event yet. Perhaps it's bugged since a17? I haven't gotten it since the update anyway.