Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Aww look at how cute you all are, thinking EVE can be fixed. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

i got this for trolling the gbs trump hysteria thread about pizzagate dude lmao

wait you actually like trump?

lmao please join Dalael in the pwn zone bitch

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Viva Miriya posted:

Wait are you under the impression that I like Trump? because lmao

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Jazzzzz posted:

I can't imagine anyone getting excited over having to do logistics convoys to highsec again. Would making it impossible for JFs to jump out of highsec make you feel any better?

Increase LP payouts including incursions?

I've been trolled

globby wants to gank things dude

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Dalael posted:

Wait are you under the impression that I like Trump? because lmao

he's saying ncp is in the retard zone with you, he didn't say you liked trump

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

No just that you're in the pwn zone because you suck at posting and are weird

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

he's saying ncp is in the retard zone with you, he didn't say you liked trump

orange juche posted:

confirming

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

orange juche posted:

Ok that's fine.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

globby wants to gank things dude

i want to be able to gank everything, not only the dumbest 20% of the game. i want the opportunity to up my game bruv, the game is stale and easy and a grind, my choices are:

kill dumb freighters in uedama
kill dumb jfs in isanamo (kusion banned for no reason btw)
kill karmafleet super #156202692852
or kiss my sweet beautiful gf all day over and over again

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

or kiss my sweet beautiful gf all day over and over again

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Viva Miriya posted:

no I like trolling :cmon:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

no I like trolling :cmon:

that's what they all say

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
well by extension of that I guess I do like Trump :grin:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

gwrtheyrn posted:

Let's make space worth less while making it a bigger pain in the dick to hold more space.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

yeah, wouldn't happen

here's how that'd work in reality: we denude a single region, then move to the next

no one wants the region we left behind because it's barren, thus, it doesn't get conquered

by the time it's ready to exploit again, we're already moved back

all this does is make the vast majority of nullsec unusable except if you happen to be in a group strong enough to hold a minimum number of total regions necessary to keep fresh farmland

Reverand maynard posted:

Trying to create conflict by making ratting/mining more tedium is dumb. I get what you're trying to accomplish (drive conflict) but we're not going to just invade TEST because we mined up all our ore. There are already enough non nullsec ways to make money that trying to make nullsec even dumber would just result in people easily gaming the system or people quitting after the third time their alliance moved in as many months.

Basically this. Conflict needs to be over a reason to live in one spot and stay there, not move around nomadically.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

b-but it's bad when the goons mine up a bunch of ore

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

lucifirius posted:

Basically this. Conflict needs to be over a reason to live in one spot and stay there, not move around nomadically.

This. Scarcity of resources won't drive conflict, but disparity of resources will. Imagine if Mexallon was only found in 5 regions. Or some low end planetary material. Or whatever. Having disparate resource allocation creates an economic terrain that may be worth fighting for.

I like the suggestions on structures, too. The final thing I would do would be to create a dominion style sov driven by structures over planets rather than POS over moons.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

we already have some regional resource disparity -- R8 and R32 moongoos are regional, and the R32s in particular make it so it is impossible to do T2 production without at least one person in the production chain importing stuff

but the way it ends up working is that everyone exports plenty of the regional-specific stuff to jita, negating the premise in the first place

hell, it took remedial education to retards in PL and NCdot before even OTEC could work, they had to be specifically taught not to just dump technetium to the first buy order they saw

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

holy gently caress

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude you have a hideous couch.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

orange juche posted:

Dude you have a hideous couch.

Not empty quoting.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Ynglaur posted:

This. Scarcity of resources won't drive conflict, but disparity of resources will. Imagine if Mexallon was only found in 5 regions. Or some low end planetary material. Or whatever. Having disparate resource allocation creates an economic terrain that may be worth fighting for.

I like the suggestions on structures, too. The final thing I would do would be to create a dominion style sov driven by structures over planets rather than POS over moons.

I think CCP has a problem thinking of how to create conflict while giving a reason to stay in one area.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

lucifirius posted:

I think CCP has a problem thinking of how to create conflict while giving a reason to stay in one area.

Growing pains. There needs to be just slightly less stuff than what everyone wants.

Right now it looks like everyone has all the space they want and then a few bonus border regions on top.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Scarcity alone won't make conflict forever. It makes conflict while the scarce resources are fought over by too many people, until the losers sift out and the winners sit on the resource. Then you have to ratchet up the scarcity again to restart the cycle.

If you want scarcity to make permanent conflict, you have to add a reason for the losers to keep coming back. Not just the hope that maybe you can take those resources, a reasonable belief that they can win. But if they have that, you don't even need scarce resources to fight over.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Klyith posted:

Scarcity alone won't make conflict forever. It makes conflict while the scarce resources are fought over by too many people, until the losers sift out and the winners sit on the resource. Then you have to ratchet up the scarcity again to restart the cycle.

If you want scarcity to make permanent conflict, you have to add a reason for the losers to keep coming back. Not just the hope that maybe you can take those resources, a reasonable belief that they can win. But if they have that, you don't even need scarce resources to fight over.

I think the biggest conflict driver is a grudge. Nothing says 'war' like groups hatefucking each other, like when the 'restofeve.rmt' ganged up on goons and co and kicked them out of Deklein.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

we already have some regional resource disparity -- R8 and R32 moongoos are regional, and the R32s in particular make it so it is impossible to do T2 production without at least one person in the production chain importing stuff

but the way it ends up working is that everyone exports plenty of the regional-specific stuff to jita, negating the premise in the first place

hell, it took remedial education to retards in PL and NCdot before even OTEC could work, they had to be specifically taught not to just dump technetium to the first buy order they saw

Good point. Still, people actually fought over "rich" regions from time to time. Remember when PL owned half the moon in the north but no sov? At least it ended up driving some conflict.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ynglaur posted:

Good point. Still, people actually fought over "rich" regions from time to time. Remember when PL owned half the moon in the north but no sov? At least it ended up driving some conflict.

that conflict wasn't about resources, it was about defeating the old northern coalition

in fact, no war in eve has ever been about resources, with the potential exception being kicking test out of fountain, but even that smacks of being sold that way for different motives

(i don't know for sure as i was mega unsubbed and disconnected at the time)

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Klyith posted:

Increase moongoo value by 5000% and then randomly shuffle the moon types every month.

Also make it so you need sov to mine the moon and the structure only starts mining after being online for a week.

This would only apply to a few moongoo materials obviously. A handful of moons and their location would be publicly available from some NPC.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 24, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

that conflict wasn't about resources, it was about defeating the old northern coalition

in fact, no war in eve has ever been about resources, with the potential exception being kicking test out of fountain, but even that smacks of being sold that way for different motives

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Fountain was definitely spun as a resource grab.

If you're right, though, may be what Eve needs are more mechanics to drive misunderstandings, like ESSes. I dunno.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

removing fozziesov is a good way to drive conflict

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

:goonsay:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:qqsay:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

the fountain war was about states rights

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Reverand maynard posted:

the fountain war was about states rights

actually it was about ethics in video game dysprosium

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I'm not dead. Boat is decent at karaoke. Wyld is better. My body hurts in multiple locations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

nah for real the fountain war was because montolio was being a giant oval office that had really good moons.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Catberry posted:

Increase moongoo value by 5000% and then randomly shuffle the moon types every month.

Also make it so you need sov to mine the moon and the structure only starts mining after being online for a week.

This would only apply to a few moongoo materials obviously. A handful of moons and their location would be publicly available from some NPC.

More timers is what EVE needs, obviously.

Any idea of randomly changing the resources if doomed to fail in its infancy. Sov warfare is a messy business which takes a lot of time and energy and I doubt anyone wants to conquer a region, set up everything and just to have to conquer a different region the next month because the resource changed. Maaaaaybe if they changed it once or twice a year but even then, i'm not sure.

Most good wars in EVE were fought over something else then resource. Whether it was personal hatred or simply having to remove a perceived thread. Ultimately the conflicts are created through human condition and not any virtual items or resource.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Dalael posted:

More timers is what EVE needs, obviously.

Any idea of randomly changing the resources if doomed to fail in its infancy. Sov warfare is a messy business which takes a lot of time and energy and I doubt anyone wants to conquer a region, set up everything and just to have to conquer a different region the next month because the resource changed. Maaaaaybe if they changed it once or twice a year but even then, i'm not sure.

Most good wars in EVE were fought over something else then resource. Whether it was personal hatred or simply having to remove a perceived thread. Ultimately the conflicts are created through human condition and not any virtual items or resource.

No. gently caress you, it's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

have you actually taken part in a tidi fight yet

• Locked thread