Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can you mine bitcoins with blurays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bought The Swapper on the Steam Sale

So like is it possible to do a no-death run or what

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope you enjoy it! :) I think it is a good game but I imagine people would be quick to dismiss it based on how it looks. Though if you aren't a fan of time management at all, this game isn't gonna change your mind.

These kind of time management games tend to be hit or miss with me (never been a fan of Diner Dash for instance) but HM is on sale for five dollars so I figured why not. I'm a bit less than halfway through and this is definitely a hit. It's awesome.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I know you've all been waiting on pins and needles for more information, and I hope this can sate your hunger for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLMwPdXAOhA

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Well I'm glad I'm learning this years after blu-rays have been a thing and not as a giant loving warning on the case of every blu-ray considering wallets were sold for years and are still available.

lol I don't think it's that dire

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

These kind of time management games tend to be hit or miss with me (never been a fan of Diner Dash for instance) but HM is on sale for five dollars so I figured why not. I'm a bit less than halfway through and this is definitely a hit. It's awesome.

When you say halfway through do you mean halfway through the first series of levels or halfway through the whole game?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

When you say halfway through do you mean halfway through the first series of levels or halfway through the whole game?

Uhh I was on level 24 when I wrote that so I THINK I mean the whole game

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sam Faust posted:

I know you've all been waiting on pins and needles for more information, and I hope this can sate your hunger for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLMwPdXAOhA

Big bird woman farting in her lawyer-friendly Deadpool costume.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

an actual dog posted:

lol I don't think it's that dire

Yeah I know I'm a weirdo and should just keep things in their cases but I think this would have been nice to know years ago.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Uhh I was on level 24 when I wrote that so I THINK I mean the whole game

How did you enjoy the exciting pharmacy mystery :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

How did you enjoy the exciting pharmacy mystery :v:

Never saw it coming :cheeky:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I've put a few hours into Breath of the Wild (currently exploring around Hateno Village) and... I guess it seems all right? Not really seeing where the undying love/GOTY talk is coming from yet, do I need to give it more time?

World seems somewhat empty and generic. I have no deep-seated nostalgia for Zelda (I enjoyed LTTP I guess) so none of these vaguely sketched-out characters/lore stuff is landing with me? Lots of similar-ish shrines and outposts?

Combat feels bad having to switch weapons every ten hits and having to sort through my inventory all the time, plus rummaging through my inventory to cook poo poo. I saw that I can expand my inventory slots by turning in collectibles. I'm also climbing towers. Isn't this what people complain about in Ubisoft games

Also climbing is slow and a real pain. Great, if I can see it I can go there (isn't that what people made fun of in Ubisoft games too) but it's slow as poo poo. Also when it rains I want to die

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I've put a few hours into Breath of the Wild (currently exploring around Hateno Village) and... I guess it seems all right? Not really seeing where the undying love/GOTY talk is coming from yet, do I need to give it more time?

World seems somewhat empty and generic. I have no deep-seated nostalgia for Zelda (I enjoyed LTTP I guess) so none of these vaguely sketched-out characters/lore stuff is landing with me? Lots of similar-ish shrines and outposts?

Combat feels bad having to switch weapons every ten hits and having to sort through my inventory all the time, plus rummaging through my inventory to cook poo poo. I saw that I can expand my inventory slots by turning in collectibles. I'm also climbing towers. Isn't this what people complain about in Ubisoft games

Also climbing is slow and a real pain. Great, if I can see it I can go there (isn't that what people made fun of in Ubisoft games too) but it's slow as poo poo. Also when it rains I want to die

Shh don't let the nintendo fans hear you

e: The exploration is the best part of the game. If that doesn't click with you then you will probably think it's just a mediocre game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 24, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I also feel the actual gameplay of zelda is very mediocre but the fun in the game is playing with the emergent systems.

Take a while to build a flying machine or other goofy activity and stop doing the shrines asap, they always took me right out of the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/874197935822688258

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have died over fifty times in this "Modest Test of Strength." Am I just stumbling headfirst into all the bad parts of the game? Does this game actually have more good parts than bad?

Maybe I just have the wrong temperament, like when people say the exploration is the fun part, for me exploring is cool because of the things you can discover. And if what I can discover is collectibles to make inventory management less painful and these shrines, which are actually just giving you more collectibles...?

Like, the same people who badmouth Ubisoft games for map icons praise this game because it "fixes" that tired formula... by making you put the icons on the map yourself? And I'm like, "I don't get it"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 24, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol I guess we really are at the "BotW is overrated" part of the cycle.

The game does take a while to click with some folks. A big part of it is that you have to accept that things aren't always gonna go your way and roll with it. Getting a critical hit when your weapon breaks helps with that a lot.

Oh and the towers do start out kinda slow but there's a bazzilion ways to make those less of a pain lol. They're way better than the ubi version because you get to mark your own points of interest from the top! Remember that there's almost always lots of different ways of solving problems, if what you're doing isn't fun try something else!

And take time to talk to people! All of the non-spoken text was really really good and did a lot in filling in the edges.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

an actual dog posted:

Oh and the towers do start out kinda slow but there's a bazzilion ways to make those less of a pain lol. They're way better than the ubi version because you get to mark your own points of interest from the top!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like, the same people who badmouth Ubisoft games for map icons praise this game because it "fixes" that tired formula... by making you put the icons on the map yourself? And I'm like, "I don't get it"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have died over fifty times in this "Modest Test of Strength." Am I just stumbling headfirst into all the bad parts of the game? Does this game actually have more good parts than bad?

Maybe I just have the wrong temperament, like when people say the exploration is the fun part, for me exploring is cool because of the things you can discover. And if what I can discover is collectibles to make inventory management less painful and these shrines, which are actually just giving you more collectibles...?

Just use stasis + to cheese the fights

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

If you just started you want the minor test of strength, you might not have the health/gear for the modest test yet.

Generally I found the exploration gameplay loop of botw at the start is to scan the horizon for a tower, run to it, climb it, then scan the horizon for new towers/shrines and unlock them. Over time you'll start to recognize the non-tower/shrine oddities on the landscape in between major landmarks that are little quests, korok puzzles, and hidden treasures. Really the world isn't empty at all, it's hard to go for a minute without running into something to do or seeing something that you can interact with, but it takes time to recognize them as distinct from the normal environments.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

an actual dog posted:

The game does take a while to click with some folks. A big part of it is that you have to accept that things aren't always gonna go your way and roll with it. Getting a critical hit when your weapon breaks helps with that a lot.

Oh and the towers do start out kinda slow but there's a bazzilion ways to make those less of a pain lol. They're way better than the ubi version because you get to mark your own points of interest from the top! Remember that there's almost always lots of different ways of solving problems, if what you're doing isn't fun try something else!

And take time to talk to people! All of the non-spoken text was really really good and did a lot in filling in the edges.

My feelings about the game are unchanged since launch :shrug:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Also if you're playing with the mini-map on turn that poo poo off in the settings. If you're just running from waypoint to waypoint you're gonna miss a lot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

This makes me really mad for some reason.

an actual dog posted:

Both Nintendo games and open world games tend to have early adopters who hail them as the greatest thing ever at launch, I'm not surprised an open world Nintendo game was especially bad about bringing this out in people.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'm just gonna put this out there and say that a decade or whatever ago, I really enjoyed Twilight Princess. :unsmith:

I barely remember a drat thing about it, but hey, it was fun. I should try Skyward Sword one of these days.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Guy Mann posted:

This makes me really mad for some reason.

I'd get one of those but that looks like DS4 sticks and gently caress that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dewgy posted:

I'm just gonna put this out there and say that a decade or whatever ago, I really enjoyed Twilight Princess. :unsmith:

I barely remember a drat thing about it, but hey, it was fun. I should try Skyward Sword one of these days.

Skyward sword is...rough

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you make a super nes controller variant you should correct nintendo's whiff and use the super famicom buttons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

if you make a super nes controller variant you should correct nintendo's whiff and use the super famicom buttons

I have a 8Bitdo super famicom recreation controller for emulating old games and I love it

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I see a lot of complaining about inventory systems. I swear I've seen someone complain about every game to ever have one! What are some games that have good inventory systems?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Smh if you can't beat a major test of strength with early game equipment

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

mutata posted:

I see a lot of complaining about inventory systems. I swear I've seen someone complain about every game to ever have one! What are some games that have good inventory systems?

Resident Evil 4

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Every game that doesn't have one

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mutata posted:

What are some games that have good inventory systems?

Ultima VII let you sort all your inventory objects like a desktop, and also you could put a ship's hold in your backpack for infinite carrying capacity

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
does 8bitdo's sfc30 have a model with the analog sticks? because i'd get that

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

astroneer

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

one thing i don't like in rpgs or whatever are items that you're only supposed to sell for mad cash. especially if it says something like "has no use. sell for mad cash"

i never believe it and i keep them all until the end of the game just in case

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

oddium posted:

one thing i don't like in rpgs or whatever are items that you're only supposed to sell for mad cash. especially if it says something like "has no use. sell for mad cash"

i never believe it and i keep them all until the end of the game just in case

I like how it's done in Dark Souls when having a cash item reserved has a purpose over immediately using it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Really Pants posted:

Ultima VII let you sort all your inventory objects like a desktop, and also you could put a ship's hold in your backpack for infinite carrying capacity

Is that a Good, Well Designed System, or just a big system?

I've seen complaints about Breath of the Wild's inventory but I haven't played it. What makes a good system?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like Deus Ex's inventory tetris

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of people will just complain if a game has an inventory, period. The best ones all share a few things in common but the most important aspects are clearly defined uses for all crafting components, the ability to quickly smash everything, and holy god not making pure crafting components take up weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
50 Cent: Bulletproof has the best weapon slot management in any game I've ever played.

• Locked thread