Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

If Trump was unaware of Russian involvement, there was no collusion

But if Obama was aware of Russian involvement, we just entered a whole new phase of the game

I don't think Trump conspired with the Russians but yeah according to a WaPo article that came out today the President was receiving eyes-only briefings wrt Russia interfering with the US election as early as August 2016, but it took a long time for anyone other than the CIA to agree on it and by the time they figured out we were getting hosed it was too late to do anything.

This is why our elections shouldn't be two loving years long btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

the hilarious thing is Comey once again couldn't keep his dumb mouth shut and now we have another investigation because of it

what a moron lol

Lordy I hope there's tapes

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Heaven Spacey posted:

I don't think Trump conspired with the Russians but yeah according to a WaPo article that came out today the President was receiving eyes-only briefings wrt Russia interfering with the US election as early as August 2016, but it took a long time for anyone other than the CIA to agree on it and by the time they figured out we were getting hosed it was too late to do anything.

This is why our elections shouldn't be two loving years long btw

But now we ask ourselves, what did Russia actually do, if they did interfere

Release propaganda against Hillary? so what

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Obstruction of justice requires no commission of the original crime your under investigation for. Ended in a preposition for u retards.

Bill or tricky dick didn't get impeached for their "crime" but the cover up?

If triumph didn't have anything to hide, why would he tamper with people under investigation?

Witness tampering is the act of attempting to alter or prevent the testimony of witnesses within criminal or civil proceedings. Laws regarding witness tampering also apply to proceedings before the U.S. Congress, executive departments, and administrative agencies.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VikingSkull posted:

the hilarious thing is Comey once again couldn't keep his dumb mouth shut and now we have another investigation because of it

what a moron lol

Trump?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Burt Sexual posted:

Obstruction of justice requires no commission of the original crime your under investigation for. Ended in a preposition for u retards.

If triumph didn't have anything to hide, why would he tamper with people under investigation?

Witness tampering is the act of attempting to alter or prevent the testimony of witnesses within criminal or civil proceedings. Laws regarding witness tampering also apply to proceedings before the U.S. Congress, executive departments, and administrative agencies.

Said witness generates testimony of said tampering only when beneficial to themselves at the time

Said witness was a high ranking legal entity who handled the situation in the dumbest way possible and in a totally unprofessional manner

Said witness / tampering is now highly dubious

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It is bad for one country to directly meddle in the elections of another. For all the allegations that Clinton's foundation was taking Saudi money and tying that to foreign agents attempting to directly influence our government and how that's bad (it's bad), it would be equally bad for another country to just release a slew of propaganda to influence voters.

Like, there's a reason a lot of our politicians basically gave cop-out answers like "hm well when it comes to Brexit, I've got little to say except I hope we're all friends after." It's because it would be really drat bad if President Obama or Paul Ryan or someone openly said, "The British people should vote to stay/leave and here's a list of smears against the other side" in an attempt to influence the vote.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

"They made people hate Hillary"

I'm always confused by this. Vast swathes of the country view her as out of touch, a liar, etc, . Her reputation has not changed since the 90's. Norm McDonald had bites on her back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnw8JRpXdAc

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

trump is never going to be impeached, it's a lunatic pipe dream and for your health i urge you stop with the madness

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Skypie posted:

Like, there's a reason a lot of our politicians basically gave cop-out answers like "hm well when it comes to Brexit, I've got little to say except I hope we're all friends after." It's because it would be really drat bad if President Obama or Paul Ryan or someone openly said, "The British people should vote to stay/leave and here's a list of smears against the other side" in an attempt to influence the vote.

Thank god our God-fearing American politicians never meddle in foreign elections

*lists 41 coups and puppet dictators*

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yeah the wikileaks dump, also tampered with some voter registration tables to drop people off the rolls apparently

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
America is totally neutral when it comes to foreign governments

No propaganda here!

You deserve your Trump avatar rescinded

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skypie posted:

Lordy I hope there's tapes

i hope* there's tapes too

piss tapes

*for a friend

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Thank god our God-fearing American politicians never meddle in foreign elections

*lists 41 coups and puppet dictators*

Yeah, I think I've been pretty open that I feel American foreign policy has been super hosed for a long time. The poo poo we've done in the past, especially during the Cold War, and how we meddled was fuckin awful.

I just also don't think that justifies it happening to us. :shrug:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mnoba posted:

trump is never going to be impeached, it's a lunatic pipe dream and for your health i urge you stop with the madness

Impeached? Christ he may get re-elected at this point.

The dems are plugging their ears and continue to ignore their base.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Skypie posted:

Yeah, I think I've been pretty open that I feel American foreign policy has been super hosed for a long time. The poo poo we've done in the past, especially during the Cold War, and how we meddled was fuckin awful.

I just also don't think that justifies it happening to us. :shrug:

Lol, what

So we destroy Russia in the Cold War, and then after that, rape them with multinational corporate pilfering, and then after that impose sanctions and put troops on their borders...

But they're the assholes????

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FuzzySkinner posted:

Impeached? Christ he may get re-elected at this point.

The dems are plugging their ears and continue to ignore their base.

Why do what constituents want when you can do what your corporate donors want instead :yum:

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
They didn't want Hillary because America is loving with them still and choking them out...

They have every right to release a meme or two

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lol, what

So we destroy Russia in the Cold War, and then after that, rape them with multinational corporate pilfering, and then after that impose sanctions and put troops on their borders...

Russia destroyed themselves in the Cold War more than anything, that much I can say with confidence. As for their collapse into kleptocracy, I'm not sure how much the US is to blame. Most of the sanctions and stuff we put on them is pretty justified for poo poo like what happened to Ukraine though imo.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lol, what

Hm ok well nobody can tell me I didn't try to earnestly engage you on a topic instead of calling you a racist or whatever. Carry on

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Old lady yells at Russian frog

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
so wait, are the normies going back to the russia stuff again lmao for real?!?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Heaven Spacey posted:

Why do what constituents want when you can do what your corporate donors want instead :yum:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/878417673264087040

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mnoba posted:

so wait, are the normies going back to the russia stuff again lmao for real?!?

"It'll win us elections. Rubes in the middle of the country HATE the Russians. What?! You mean it's not 1983?!"

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Heaven Spacey posted:

Russia destroyed themselves in the Cold War more than anything, that much I can say with confidence. As for their collapse into kleptocracy, I'm not sure how much the US is to blame. Most of the sanctions and stuff we put on them is pretty justified for poo poo like what happened to Ukraine though imo.

"The conversion of the world's largest state-controlled economy into a market-oriented economy would have been extraordinarily difficult regardless of the policies chosen. The policies chosen for this difficult transition were (1) liberalization, (2) stabilization, and (3) privatization. These policies were based on the neoliberal "Washington Consensus" of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank, and U.S. Treasury Department."

I honestly don't know much about it, but that sounds awfully like American meddling

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Skypie posted:

It is bad for one country to directly meddle in the elections of another. For all the allegations that Clinton's foundation was taking Saudi money and tying that to foreign agents attempting to directly influence our government and how that's bad (it's bad), it would be equally bad for another country to just release a slew of propaganda to influence voters.

This is false, Obama specifically said if the U.K. voted to leave that any trade deals would leave them at the back of the line compared to other countries. In response, trump said if they left he'd negotiate a great deal with them.

Basically, lol at America even pretending that it doesn't involve itself in other elections even for allies.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FisheyStix posted:

Could Trump-senpai be... daijobu?!

E: oh God DNC you can't say stuff like that :stonklol:

? I thought this was a thread for discussing Trump. If his possible fetishes are off limit why are their mentions of a pee tape? Like I mean I guess it could be medical but I'm pretty sure that's not what people are hoping for. What'a a medical pee tape?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 24, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Skypie posted:

Hm ok well nobody can tell me I didn't try to earnestly engage you on a topic instead of calling you a racist or whatever. Carry on

Ok thank you, but Russia barely is even being accused of doing anything underhanded at all. It's not like the assassinated some glorious JFK like figure paving the way to Trump's victory

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
"The West should create an elite corps of experts to live in the former Soviet Union and help officials there run government and business."

But it was the Clinton administration that turned the missionary impulse into an official crusade—though, it should be emphasized, with enthusiastic bipartisan support in Congress. Almost immediately after President Bill Clinton's inauguration in January 1993, his experts were privately discussing "how best to reform Russia" and formulating a policy of American tutelage. The "whole policy" that emerged, as a State Department official later explained, was "aimed at the domestic transformation of Russia." In effect, the United States was to teach ex-Communist Russia how to become a capitalist and democratic country and oversee the process of conversion known as a "transition." Certainly, Russia was not to be trusted to find its own kinds of change, lest it wander off, as a media enthusiast of the crusade warned, on "a strange, ambivalent path of its own confused devising."

Lmao... maybe the Clinton thing was personal.. from Russia with Love

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/c/cohen-crusade.html

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bholder posted:

The gently caress did he even do to fight this "deep state"?

He literally intimidated an official in hopes he won't find anything bad against him using made up bullshit. How is that good in any sense of the word?

Comey was a child loving deep state pizzagate globalist zionist shill, you idiot.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
In that spirit, legions of American political missionaries and evangelists, usually called "advisers," spread across Russia in the early and mid-1990s. Funded by the U.S. government, ideological organizations, foundations, and educational institutions, they encamped wherever the "Russia we want" might be proselytized, from political movements, trade unions, media, and schools to Moscow offices of the Russian government itself. Among other missionary deeds, U.S. citizens gave money to favored Russian politicians, instructed ministers, drafted legislation and presidential decrees, underwrote textbooks, and served at Yeltsin's reelection headquarters in 1996.

For the sake of appearances, all of this had to be done, of course, with some diplomacy. Rarely if ever was the Clinton administration as bluntly missionary as the former national security adviser who announced that Russia's "economic and even political destiny ... is now increasingly passing into de facto Western receivership." Or as categorical as the anonymous programmatic letter that circulated in Washington in 1993: "The key to [Russia's] democratic recovery is no longer in its hand. It is in ours."

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

I bet just completely ignoring Russia and doing nothing would have worked out better for the country with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world.

Also "Americans went there and said" things means American is responsible because if Americans say things other countries are paralyzed into total compliance.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Ok thank you, but Russia barely is even being accused of doing anything underhanded at all. It's not like the assassinated some glorious JFK like figure paving the way to Trump's victory

My point is mostly that if Russia somehow did interfere and there was verifiable evidence of it (and I've been clear before as stating that I don't personally believe there was collusion or whatever), it would be something everyone regardless of side should want something done about it.

I don't mean removing Trump. I don't like him but the dude won the election. I just mean like shoring up cybersecurity or having back-up plans if voting machines tank or show signs of being tampered with. America's not clean in this. I'll cop that I didn't realize Obama had made a direct quote about trade deals, which is hosed up. I think we should be mad about loving with other elections and I think we should be mad if our elections are ever hosed with. That's all.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

really queer Christmas posted:

This is false, Obama specifically said if the U.K. voted to leave that any trade deals would leave them at the back of the line compared to other countries. In response, trump said if they left he'd negotiate a great deal with them.

Basically, lol at America even pretending that it doesn't involve itself in other elections even for allies.

There's a pretty big difference between an elected official (or potential) saying "If other country does x, we will react in this manner" and hacking peoples emails and paying people to spread fake news and shill in news article comment sections.

Like, they're not the same thing at all.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Kiryen posted:

I bet just completely ignoring Russia and doing nothing would have worked out better for the country with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world.

Also "Americans went there and said" things means American is responsible because if Americans say things other countries are paralyzed into total compliance.

"Funded by the U.S. government,"

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lol, what

Had they not been the assholes, destroying them in the cold war wouldn't have been necessary, idiot.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

scrubs season six posted:

There's a pretty big difference between an elected official (or potential) saying "If other country does x, we will react in this manner" and hacking peoples emails and paying people to spread fake news and shill in news article comment sections.

Like, they're not the same thing at all.

How about buying Hollywood and changing movies for propaganda purposes like the Chinese?

What about Israel?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Kiryen posted:

Had they not been the assholes, destroying them in the cold war wouldn't have been necessary, idiot.

Oh, we have the moral high ground. I see. You're quite the patriot

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Duck and Cover posted:

? I thought this was a thread for discussing Trump. If his possible fetishes are off limit why are their mentions of a pee tape? Like I mean I guess it could be medical but I'm pretty sure that's not what people are hoping for. What'a a medical pee tape?

No, I just meant that it doesn't need to be said, Trumpo is very obviously a scalie. Even I have heard of dragons and vore fetishists being a thing, and if it's one thing the man does it's eat people for lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

"Funded by the U.S. government,"

US government money magically dictates policy in any other country it is spent. I heard it on the internet.

• Locked thread