Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Was always disappointed that the WW2 Wolfenstein games never mentioned anything about the Holocaust. Was really hoping there was a concentration camp level in the 2001 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Pre-TNO the earlier Wolfenstein games were pretty comedic "those dumb Nazis!!!" in tone and the story in them was the very definition of an excuse plot for an action game, so it wouldn't have worked at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guy Mann posted:

TNO: "They put a Nazi on the moon...gently caress you, moon."

TNC: "They put a Nazi in the white house...gently caress you, America."

Yeah, America was practicing eugenics and sterilizing minorities and "undesirables" long before the Nazi party even existed, the fact that The New Colossus is not only steering away from American Exceptionalism but seems to be actively embracing the fact that we have a horrific history and a lot of lovely people and power structures that would make us especially susceptible to Nazi occupation is one of the most exciting things about the trailers.

We've come so far from Medal of Honor's "America swooped in and single-handedly won WWII because OORAH ARE FREEDOMS" in just a decade and it makes me so proud.

It's okay CoD WWII will be bringing that back later this year

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have to say that the first impressions in new order are pretty misleading. The opening sequence doesn't really represent the gameplay very well, since it is pretty scripted but that's okay. When you slap Wyatt to knock his nerves into gear that's where I was misled. It seemed so typically oorah that this manly man whips a young boy into shape with a few smacks.
And then the rest of the level happened and I saw what they were going for.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have to say that the first impressions in new order are pretty misleading. The opening sequence doesn't really represent the gameplay very well, since it is pretty scripted but that's okay. When you slap Wyatt to knock his nerves into gear that's where I was misled. It seemed so typically oorah that this manly man whips a young boy into shape with a few smacks.
And then the rest of the level happened and I saw what they were going for.

Fergus > Wyatt

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Agreed, but J is amazing on his own.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Saving Fergus also locks you out of "We just killed the bridge, sir!"

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

SirSamVimes posted:

Saving Fergus also locks you out of "We just killed the bridge, sir!"

Fergus' "dear mum, thanks for the socks" is the single best reaction to anything in the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And fergus's snap at bj for being old and tired better fits the game's theme on the old men losing meaning in their fight than Wyatt's breakdown over responsibility. Wyatt you're thirty years old grow up a bit, fergus was already old you don't have the same excuse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man going straight from Wolf 09 BJ to New Order BJ (or rather Old Blood) is pretty jarring.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because he now has a personality beyond using nazis as pincushions?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I just played through TNO again on Uber difficulty after seeing the trailer for TNC. I needed to finish collecting all the enigma codes and gold items anyway, so i figured I might as well get the achievement for Uber while I was at it.

As it turns out, the hardest enemy in the game is not the mechs, or the Ubersoldats, or the hordes of normal soldiers. It's those armored guys with the auto shotguns. The normal enemies have pretty terrible accuracy if you're moving, but the shotgun guys pump out an absurd amount of damage if you're anywhere in line of sight for even a second. And they take a huge amount of punishment before going down, and unlike the larger enemies they can follow you basically anywhere. You can kill them with a charged up LCW but even the few seconds it takes to lock on to them can cost you 100+ health.

Also the last boss on Uber is bullshit. Overall though it's still one of my favorite shooters. The shooting isn't that deep, but a lot of work has gone into making it feel satisfying.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That was my observation as well. Those shotgun dudes are brutal.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Yeah, the shotguns will rip you apart if you're too close. Stay in cover on the highest two difficulty levels. Seconding about the last boss. I even considered turning down the difficulty.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shotgun enemies still die in one hit from a rocket. And to beat deathshead just throw grenades at him while you run to the blimps.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Shotgun guys die real fast to shots to the backpack, or by using laser weapons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or grenades if you managed to get the explode on contact perk.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shotgun enemies still die in one hit from a rocket. And to beat deathshead just throw grenades at him while you run to the blimps.
Sure! It's the second phase, prolonged firefight in an ever-sorta-shrinking area that is the problem though. It felt real good to make it, but jeez I got tired of hearing "crawl into a hole. Won't help ya."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Sure! It's the second phase, prolonged firefight in an ever-sorta-shrinking area that is the problem though. It felt real good to make it, but jeez I got tired of hearing "crawl into a hole. Won't help ya."

I really didn't find it that bad. Same strategy, grenade him to stun and then unload on him with rockets and then AR marksmen lasers if it comes down to it. Just keep sprinting.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think on Uber the shotgun guys actually take two rockets to kill, but I didn't unlock everything in the demolitions tree so I might be missing a damage talent.

The first stage of Deathshead wasn't the problem for me, it was the fact that the checkpoint for the second stage would always reload me with 60 health and no armor. So every single time I died to the second stage I would have to spend a couple of minutes cutting my way into every box or fence with armor or rockets behind them.

Defeating the boss itself wasn't too bad after a few tries (shoot rockets directly at the cockpit, move away from him when he gets stunned, don't waste ammo shooting him until he's unstunned), but it was really annoying having the fight padded out that way. One of the few times I wished I could quicksave.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Is there a way to see your perk progression (in Old Blood specifically), other than checking Steam Achievements? Like, how many more helmets I need to collect, etc.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Arcsquad12 posted:

And fergus's snap at bj for being old and tired better fits the game's theme on the old men losing meaning in their fight than Wyatt's breakdown over responsibility. Wyatt you're thirty years old grow up a bit, fergus was already old you don't have the same excuse.

I think they both work. Each one laments the loss of the other and felt they could have done a better job. Fergus feeling too old for this poo poo and Wyatt feeling too inadequate for this poo poo. Both, fed up with this poo poo.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm working on a second playthrough right now and picked Wyatt. BJ has a line at the start where he admits to picking the wrong person to save which was pretty :smith:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

He says that either way I think? I feel like Wyatt is the "right" choice because Fergus spends a lot of effort keeping him alive.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

He says that either way I think? I feel like Wyatt is the "right" choice because Fergus spends a lot of effort keeping him alive.

Yeah. Fergus is able to face his death with at least some amount of acceptance and dignity, too; while Wyatt is screaming and begging to be saved the entire time he's being killed. :smith:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

dmboogie posted:

Yeah. Fergus is able to face his death with at least some amount of acceptance and dignity, too; while Wyatt is screaming and begging to be saved the entire time he's being killed. :smith:

That's why I went with Wyatt first.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JohnnySavs posted:

Is there a way to see your perk progression (in Old Blood specifically), other than checking Steam Achievements? Like, how many more helmets I need to collect, etc.

It should be a tab on the in game menu screen

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Press J for the journal. Perks tab. Gives you an exact counter for each one.

Tip for the helmets: If you've maxed your armor and there are still more helmets around, blow up a fire extinguisher while standing next to it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Press J for the journal. Perks tab. Gives you an exact counter for each one.

Tip for the helmets: If you've maxed your armor and there are still more helmets around, blow up a fire extinguisher while standing next to it.

I always liked to imagine that on those times all I find are helmets BJ is just covered head to toe in them, giving me a reason why I sometimes sucked at stealth making so much noise clanking around wearing an armored vest of just helmets and leg armor that's helmets, my fists covered in a helmet each hand.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
RockPaperShotgun's Steam Sale recommendations are only tenuously related but I can't withstand a good pun:

quote:

Wolfenstein: The New Order for £7.49/$9.99 – A comatose soldier wakes up in a panic, but is quickly reassured by a nearby doctor, who tells him everything is alt right

Also TNO is on sale and you should buy it I guess

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

dmboogie posted:

during the Fergus arc he gives you poo poo for saving him as he is an old dude approaching the end of his life and Wyatt had his whole life ahead of him.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Somehow I missed this thread's existence.

As many of you are aware (and as evidenced by the second post in this thread), I fuckin' love me some Weird War II and I especially love me some Wolfenstein (in all its flavors). I will never, ever get tired of killing virtual Nazis, holy poo poo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Wolf09 can let up on their gogogo script. You put money and fluff in weird areas and still expect me to race through corridors ignoring them?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

uber_stoat posted:

during the Fergus arc he gives you poo poo for saving him as he is an old dude approaching the end of his life and Wyatt had his whole life ahead of him.

He basically tells BJ to save Wyatt at the time too, doesn't he? Something like "it's ok, BJ, it's a war and people die."

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Finished my Wyatt playthrough. That scene where J died loving owned. He was a cool character in general for calling our BJ on his nationalism.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I really hope someone can help me with this:

I bought TNO on sale, and I haven't been able to get past the prologue. It hangs forever on any loadscreen after the initial load into the prologue. It seems like it's related to being unable to save? The spinning icon thing never goes away when I'm in game. I have no idea what the gently caress to do - I've tried a whole bunch of poo poo and none of it works, including clearing all my saves.

The save icon went away once, without changing anything or ending the play session I checked to see if I could load, I could, then it stopped working and it hasn't worked since. edit: It did it again somehow, but it re-fucks itself after fixing the thingo that's spewing fire.

It is beyond frustrating. I want to play the loving game.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 25, 2017

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Try verifying the files through Steam. It will take a while because the game is so large but if one or two files got weird during download it can cause problems. Also, just for fun, check GPU driver updates. It can't hurt.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I presume you've googled it but some people found alt tabbing helped. I've never run into the issue unfortunately :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished The Old Blood, while there were brief flashes of what I liked about TNO it mostly just kind of existed. Definitely got better as it went along though except for the dumb boss at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Nick Robinson of Car Boys and Cool Games Inc along with one of Polygon's other writers started a new series where they gush about how awesome TNO is, it's a glorified podcast since it's just the two of them chatting in Google Hangout but they bring up a few decent points about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3c0tkVKf70

I feel like they're definitely right about the trailer for The New Colossus making a bunch of people (re)discover The New Order by showing off all the crazy alternate history and narrative stuff that they didn't really do a good job marketing when the first game came out on top of striking a chord with all the contemporary concern about Nazism in America.

qkkl posted:

Was always disappointed that the WW2 Wolfenstein games never mentioned anything about the Holocaust. Was really hoping there was a concentration camp level in the 2001 version.

The beginning of the concentration camp level in TNO was one of the few times where I wasn't 100% on board with the game, Frau Engel literally waving a crying baby around by the ankles at the beginning was just a bit much and while I get why they did it for pacing issues a grueling labor sentence being reduced to a 30 second puzzle of breaking the concrete mixer was kind of underwhelming.

The rest of the level was fantastic though, both for gameplay and narrative.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's okay CoD WWII will be bringing that back later this year

CoD is kind of in an unwinnable position where since they're covering the actual real-world war they have to be reverent and respectful for all the soldiers who really died but at the same time they sill have to have multiplayer with goofy zombie modes and blinged-out weapon skins; there was a recent kerfuffle about how CoD's multiplayer let's PoC characters play as Axis soldiers which is kind of a perfect encapsulation of all that, both choices have some really problematic connotations. Wolfenstein's supernatural/alt-history bent means that they can be more pulpy and fun without worrying about being insensitive or historically accurate.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Yeah, the shotguns will rip you apart if you're too close. Stay in cover on the highest two difficulty levels. Seconding about the last boss. I even considered turning down the difficulty.

One of my favorite gameplay moments in the entire series is getting the ricochet shot for the shotguns on the moon base level and then dual-wielding auto shotties to turn the narrow corridors into literal meat grinders.