Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You get guns on one of the cars too.

Crackdown 1 was incredible which is why theyre still trying to make a sequel work all these years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Horizon: While animals are only good for materials, wow fighting optional robots gets you a lot of experience, if you stealth them all. No materials spent, a bunch of stuff collected. All I wanted to do was go to the corner of the map that was in a small valley ( as I thought that there would be a collectible or something else there as it looked suspiciously guarded) and I found a bunch of scrappers. Looting the heap after gave me enough mats to upgrade my Mod capacity which was perfect as the heap also contained a couple of mods that I would otherwise not have had the space for. When I get around to the Proving I'll probably have a much easier time. I already have a tripcaster ammo capacity of 8 ammo and I'm at level 6, and half of the experience needed to get there came from the scrappers. Also I climbed a suspicious bit of scenery and it took a while to realise what I was standing on - a rusted out subway train. :3: Love the environment design.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

There was a video that probably sold more unit of Crackdown than any official adverts. It was 2 lads playing co-op in the 1 hour demo with Hitman's "Ave Maria" playing over it and... The sheer JOY they were experiencing was intoxicating. They barely spoke a word, it was just them laughing as ave maria played while they were loving around, ramping cars off of trucks and kicking each other off buildings.
Well that and the Halo 3 beta that was included with the game. I know two people that were barely interested in the game but they ended up getting it for the Halo 3 beta.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BioEnchanted posted:

Love the environment design.

HZD is an utterly fantastic game from start to finish and the world design is top notch. its such a loving pretty game too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

betamax hipster posted:

See also: enlisting a coop partner so you can back two ramp trucks into each other.

You could use co-op to cheese the vehicle jump challenges by having them just pick up the car with you in it and then jump through to targets while holding you or throw your car at them.

Between that and all the fun toys like the ramp trucks that could send traffic behind you launching into the stratusphere or the stone globes you could throw to play bowling with cars and baddies it really felt like it was focusing on being an actual sandbox right when GTA was becoming more restrictive than ever in the name of being cinematic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the environmental storytelling in Horizon, I just put something together that I never paid attention to the first time through the into of the game up to becoming a seeker. It was always at the back of my mind "Maybe we'll see the all-mother at some point, like a boss or setpiece or dungeon or something" but I just realised that I already have. In All-Mother Mountain, there are cave paintings featuring humans worshiping a large floating squid-like thing (this is the part that I never noticed). Outside the entrance are statues of a woman with six arms, the all-mother, that previously I took for granted. Then I looked at the tentacles on the mountain and map. The tentacles and vault are connected. The tentacles are the all-mother, the giant squid that people once worshiped is visible in most of it's glory, with a few tentacles going right down into the outskirts of the valley. Mother's Embrace isn't a metaphorical name, the valley is literally embraced by the All-Mother's tentacles; and the Mountain being the All-Mother isn't an extrapolation - it's actually that big. I initially thought that they were conflating the mountain with the vault.

Also what with the idea of humanity emerging from a vault after the man-made apocalypse, the game's setting is very similar to Fallout, but taking itself seriously.

However I still feel that the ambush at the Proving is bullshit hard...

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Jun 22, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crackdown has this fun thing where if a car is driving towards you and you shoot out one of the front tires, they almost always do that thing in action movies where they yank suddenly to the side and then go rear end-over-teakettle.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Drunken Baker posted:

There was a video that probably sold more unit of Crackdown than any official adverts. It was 2 lads playing co-op in the 1 hour demo with Hitman's "Ave Maria" playing over it and... The sheer JOY they were experiencing was intoxicating. They barely spoke a word, it was just them laughing as ave maria played while they were loving around, ramping cars off of trucks and kicking each other off buildings.

You... you know that song isn't from Hitman, right?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Barudak posted:

You get guns on one of the cars too.

Crackdown 1 was incredible which is why theyre still trying to make a sequel work all these years later.

You could get a guncar in Sleeping Dogs, too. It was the big trick to winning annoying car races, just shoot your opponents and win by default. Sadly the same does not apply to the awful motorcycle races.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Croccers posted:

Well that and the Halo 3 beta that was included with the game. I know two people that were barely interested in the game but they ended up getting it for the Halo 3 beta.

I remember being sold on the game's demo, back when they even were a thing. Just downloaded it, just cause we'd download whatever was new that wasn't Sports or Guitar Hero, and having so much fun playing it a dozen times. It and Bioshock were the two games I was completely sold on just wanting to see what was beyond the demo. Those two, and playing Crash Mode of Burnout Revenge on a store demo unit.

Little cool things about Crackdown and Bioshock were that they both had demos. Now no games have demos. :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Hahahaha, I skimmed right past that.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Little cool things about Crackdown and Bioshock were that they both had demos. Now no games have demos. :(
Lots of games still have demos, although these days they sometimes aren't released until the game has been out for a few months. Like the way they only recently made the prologue chapter of Hitman 2017 free as a demo.

Little things I like about video games: when the demo is unique and not just the first level or area. I still remember Half Life: Uplink.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inferior posted:

Little things I like about video games: when the demo is unique and not just the first level or area. I still remember Half Life: Uplink.

The best is probably still The Stanley Parable. Which tells you nothing about the actual content of the full game, but tells you everything about why you'd actually want to play it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

The best is probably still The Stanley Parable. Which tells you nothing about the actual content of the full game, but tells you everything about why you'd actually want to play it.

Undertale does a really fuckin' good job too.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah, but it was the version used in Hitman. Hahaha. Weird detail to pick out, I know. I remember people saying they wanted Ave Maria played at their funeral after Hitman came out. There's bound to be people who thought it was written just for the game, like.

Drunken Baker has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Jun 23, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Didn't realise how little levels matter in Horizon until just now. I just completed a level 15 corrupted zone at level 8. A lot of experience for killing each corrupted robot too. Either that or stealth is straight broken. :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stealth is straight broken, especially in the beginning, yes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are some robots later that can counter stealth but the whistle+gank combo is incredibly overpowered.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

BioEnchanted posted:

Didn't realise how little levels matter in Horizon until just now. I just completed a level 15 corrupted zone at level 8. A lot of experience for killing each corrupted robot too. Either that or stealth is straight broken. :)

I'm eagerly awaiting your posts once you get to the plot missions in the Northern and Western parts of the map after you leave the valley.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

I love subtle/not so subtle weapon animations in games like Metro (some of the weapons are built out of parts and idle animations show the fragility of the parts) and Doom '16 (Doomguy's utter contempt for the plot and his riping and tearing demons for health with additional armor/ammo depending on equiped runes). This crosspost from the RGD internet crtic thread shows Overwatch's weapon animations and how they fit the characters they belong to.

Annointed posted:

One of the Dans released a new video on Overwatch's First Person Animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xeTMCPG2gg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

I love subtle/not so subtle weapon animations in games like Metro (some of the weapons are built out of parts and idle animations show the fragility of the parts) and Doom '16 (Doomguy's utter contempt for the plot and his riping and tearing demons for health with additional armor/ammo depending on equiped runes). This crosspost from the RGD internet crtic thread shows Overwatch's weapon animations and how they fit the characters they belong to.

Metro has some good animations if you idle long enough too, like Artyom accidentally breaking something off of one of the guns and panicking a bit trying to fit it back on, or tossing a gun up and down only for it to eventually not come down after a bit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Catching up to where I got to last time, although this time I solved half the puzzle for the armour, and I like the way Aloy interacts with the Longnecks. It's very caring, like calming a spooked horse, but kinda funny because the line was "I know, I know, I wouldn't like to be stabbed in the head either...:shobon:" The effect while repelling down them as their emp blankets the whole area is cool too. Also I like how the challenges immediately spawn a herd of the relevant Machine nearby. That's good Quality of Life right there. Still haven't touched the plot missions I have so far (find the War Chief and go to Mother's Heart) although I'm at level 11. :P

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

Catching up to where I got to last time, although this time I solved half the puzzle for the armour, and I like the way Aloy interacts with the Longnecks. It's very caring, like calming a spooked horse, but kinda funny because the line was "I know, I know, I wouldn't like to be stabbed in the head either...:shobon:" The effect while repelling down them as their emp blankets the whole area is cool too. Also I like how the challenges immediately spawn a herd of the relevant Machine nearby. That's good Quality of Life right there. Still haven't touched the plot missions I have so far (find the War Chief and go to Mother's Heart) although I'm at level 11. :P

you're in for such a fun ride. :allears:

still churning through Prey, i have a feeling i'm close to the end which makes me sad. favorite new little thing from prey: when you fortify a turret so it's stronger, it says "thank you". :allears:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

RBA Starblade posted:

Metro has some good animations if you idle long enough too, like Artyom accidentally breaking something off of one of the guns and panicking a bit trying to fit it back on, or tossing a gun up and down only for it to eventually not come down after a bit.

There's a DLC gun made out of bicycle parts. Including the bell. Idle for long enough and ding!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Halo's demo was so good. I still talk with my friend about Silent Cartographer to this day.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

StandardVC10 posted:

There's a DLC gun made out of bicycle parts. Including the bell. Idle for long enough and ding!

Please tell me this breaks stealth.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
For a third person game, GTA V has the smartest walk-run-sprint toggles I've found. Press shift to toggle between walk/run, hold it down to sprint. Simple and effective for keyboard and mouse players.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Caufman posted:

GTA V

keyboard and mouse players.

What?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The one and only way to play GTA.

Although I usually have my controller at the ready if I need to fly something.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Driving seems like it wouldn't be fun at all with a keyboard

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

I thought so too when GTA came out for PC but its actually pretty fine, its flying that's the real mother fucker.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

omg chael crash posted:

Driving has been always fine with kb/m in GTA games. I haven't tried to fly a plane without controller and helicopters are horrible with kb/m.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I just love spectating games after you die in Friday the 13th. Nothing like watching a dude who is fixing the car and you spin the camera around and Jason has popped Stalk so you spin the camera around and Jason is strolling up behind them silently while they work and you're like, "TURN AROUND YOU IDIOT" and you realize you're watching a horror movie. I love this game so much.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The last controller I touched* was for the SNES, and you're not about to get me to change now.

*not really

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm all down for some kb+m in overwatch or whatever. Just, like, Skyrim and GTA are 100% controller for me. I started those games on console. Vice City.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
First persons will be the last genre I'll play with a controller. You folks who can aim with a control stick, that's just a skill I cannot imagine picking up now.

Maybe it's not so bad in Skyrim where you're not trying to hitscan a distant and moving target, though?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skyrim's combat on a controller wouldn't be a big deal but the loving garbage diaper UI is a nightmare enough with kbm.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
personally, first person with k+bm and third person controller unless it feels too sluggish to aim with sticks

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RyokoTK posted:

Skyrim's combat on a controller wouldn't be a big deal but the loving garbage diaper UI is a nightmare enough with kbm.

It's actually better since the UI was designed with a controller in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What about a hybrid third and first person shooter, like Sniper Elite? A scope feels very natural on a mouse.

My college friend played console FPS with an inverted y-axis. It does not feel natural when he passes the controller.