Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

-Blackadder- posted:

Man, it's freaking hard to parse what games I should be getting, can you goons give me some recomendations based on the following list of games that I really enjoyed playing....

Witcher series ---- 3 is the best, skip the other 2
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen --- do you like climbing on monsters
Civ V ---- it's one of the best in its genre
Xcom series ----- one of the best in its genre, practically defined the genre tbh
Grim Dawn --- do you like this kind of game? Get Diablo 2 first
Diablo Series --- Diablo 2 is a classic for a reason
Wolfenstein: The New Order ---- shoot all nazis

Also, can you include any little under the radar gems that I might have missed? For example, I never would have heard of Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter if I hadn't seen them mentioned several times in this thread.

Here's my picks from your list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Mafia 3: Not sure about this given the mixed reviews. Am semi-interested since a newspaper article said it was worth trying. I don't mind open world games, provided the combat isn't too janky.

The story and presentation is great! And you get to shoot up a klan rally. The gameplay is....not.

The combat is...okay? but you have to do the same dull side activities over and over each time you want to advance the plot and the AI bounds between real dumb (if you're stealthing) and terrifyingly efficient (if you're driving around to the next mission or mid-sidequest or whatever and suddenly carload of heavily armed randos who know exactly where you are because that becomes A Thing later, surprise)

Like I was glad I played it and $10-15 is about what i feel like it's worth but by the end I was definitely dragging myself through it, so take that as you will.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Here's my picks from your list!

that was a list of games he already played and liked

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Awesome! posted:

that was a list of games he already played and liked

I can't read! :downs:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that said, the list is basically "good examples of every genre" so its kind of hard to pin down recommendations off of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Awesome! posted:

that said, the list is basically "good examples of every genre" so its kind of hard to pin down recommendations off of it.

Yeah.

.... Okay, dude, play Copy Kitty. Best Megaman-like on Steam, and yes, that includes Shovel Knight. :colbert:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Don Bradman Cricket 2017 is HALF OFF on the Playstation Store right now, there's 1 guy in the whole world who bought it, and he's a goon streaming now if you're curious just what exactly cricket is.

Awesome! posted:

please note that watching cricket will in no way answer this question

this is also true

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

if you're curious just what exactly cricket is.
please note that watching cricket will in no way answer this question

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Is anybody already planning on buying Shovel Knight during this sale? If so, I wonder if you could do me a favor. I have a Steamgift copy of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove that I know I'll likely never play. I really want Night In The Woods, which isn't on sale, but is the same price as SK right now. If someone would be willing to buy/gift me a copy of NITW then I'll be happy to give them SK, plus kick them a couple of free Humble game codes for their trouble. I have Kentucky Route 0, Steamworld Heist, Invisible Inc., Nuclear Throne and a bunch of other stuff (though these are the ones that seem like the best to me). So same money spent on your part, but more games.

If a mod or others think this isn't kosher for this thread then just let me know and I'll happily move it. The Steam trades thread is just dead as poo poo and this seemed like the best place otherwise.

On another note, does anyone have recommendations for exploration heavy games? I love digging around and finding secrets and hidden stuff. I've played Hyper Light Drifter and loved it, for example. My laptop is old and clunky, so new and graphics intensive stuff like Prey is out. Any thoughts?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Man, it's freaking hard to parse what games I should be getting, can you goons give me some recomendations based on the following list of games that I really enjoyed playing....

clip

Also, can you include any little under the radar gems that I might have missed? For example, I never would have heard of Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter if I hadn't seen them mentioned several times in this thread.

Get Bayonetta, it's the best game and even at only -25%, fifteen bucks, it's still a drat steal. I only say this because I was going to recommend Vanquish as "The best Max Payne" but that one isn't on sale.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

On another note, does anyone have recommendations for exploration heavy games? I love digging around and finding secrets and hidden stuff. I've played Hyper Light Drifter and loved it, for example. My laptop is old and clunky, so new and graphics intensive stuff like Prey is out. Any thoughts?
Guacamelee is loving amazing at letting you find secrets, and is funny (real-funny, not internet-funny) and good.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Seriously? That's funny because I have that in inventory and hadn't redeemed it! I think I thought it was a different type of game or something. Will definitely check it out. Is there a significant difference between the two versions?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Guacamelee, Hollow Knight and Ori are all in a fierce competition for "best metroidvania on steam" and each really depends on what you want out of one. Combat, exploration or platforming.

(Not so say guacamelee doesn't have its own crazy/obnoxious platforming, but it's not a mandatory escape sequence. :V)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Not to be too pithy but I feel like over half the recommendations coming from people who applied mods isn't really a selling point of x-com 2. I don't really mod games outside of ones that were basically designed for the purpose. If there's a mechanic so bad in the game you have to mod it out I'm prolly not interested.

Thank you for the honest appraisals tho.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Anniversary posted:

Any thoughts on Helldivers? Is there still a community?

I can't speak to the community since I mostly played with friends, but the game is great fun. It eventually becomes formulaic, with everyone knowing what loop to follow for victory, but you'll get plenty of value out of it before that point. It took me 30 hours before I felt we had everything down on lock enough that most missions were repetitive, but there was still plenty of missions that were challenging and hectic enough that I played another 10. My two major complaints is that a ton of fun (but not OP) stuff is locked behind paid DLC that I feel is overpriced, and that missions are enabled/locked by the global campaign progression. The DLC isn't a huge problem and can be ignored, but having an entire enemy faction locked out of play or not being able to take part in the fun 'city defense' missions because of the state of the global campaign is frustrating.

ArbitraryC posted:

Not to be too pithy but I feel like over half the recommendations coming from people who applied mods isn't really a selling point of x-com 2. I don't really mod games outside of ones that were basically designed for the purpose. If there's a mechanic so bad in the game you have to mod it out I'm prolly not interested.

I think most people mentioned the mods just so that they could say 'If you really hate it, it's removable!' so that no one misses out on a great game due to small factors. I think XCom 2 is great out of the box, and would only recommend the 'Stop Wasting My Time' mod that increases the speed of some animations and cuts down on voice lines that get repeated regularly. Bottom line is that if you liked Enemy Unknown, you will like XCom 2.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 24, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

Guacamelee, Hollow Knight and Ori are all in a fierce competition for "best metroidvania on steam" and each really depends on what you want out of one. Combat, exploration or platforming.

(Not so say guacamelee doesn't have its own crazy/obnoxious platforming, but it's not a mandatory escape sequence. :V)

I really, really liked Axiom Verge and think it should be considered on this list :colbert:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yeah, Hollow Knight was definitely on my shortlist. The added bonus of it being a Goon-made game is a nice selling point for me too. I thought I read that they fixed the most egregious issues with those sequences in Ori. Have I got that wrong, cause that's one I've had my eye on too?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Xcom 2 was designed for mods to such an extent that you can open files in a text pad and change whatever clearly labeled value you want.

But I support not buying it too, gently caress T2.

kater fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 24, 2017

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Gamerofthegame posted:

We're drowning in excelent metroidvanias these days. I'd toss in Strider and Shadow Complex to round out your list. Then there's the Shantae games which I really like but are somewhat metroidvania lite. Axiom Verge was also pretty good but you'll see mixed reviews on this forum. Some people also gush about Environmental Station Alpha even though I didn't care for how difficult the platforming was.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sokani posted:

I think most people mentioned the mods just so that they could say 'If you really hate it, it's removable!' so that no one misses out on a great game due to small factors. I think XCom 2 is great out of the box, and would only recommend the 'Stop Wasting My Time' mod that increases the speed of some animations and cuts down on voice lines that get repeated regularly. Bottom line is that if you liked Enemy Unknown, you will like XCom 2.
:yeah:

this plus the voice pack mod to make everyone sound like Overwatch characters.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ArbitraryC posted:

It's not like it's a complex process, you click on a mod in workshop and it's done. You don't need to mod the timers either, but you can if they bother you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Started playing Watch_Doges 2. I like how immediately absurd it is. "Let's let him hack us...as a test!"

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Is there a site that tells you what DLC you dont own from the games you do own? One would think this would be incorporated into steam, but alas, no.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PantsBandit posted:

Started playing Watch_Doges 2. I like how immediately absurd it is. "Let's let him hack us...as a test!"

I really enjoyed that game. The overall tone of the game is just so much more fun and light than the first game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

strategery posted:

Is there a site that tells you what DLC you dont own from the games you do own? One would think this would be incorporated into steam, but alas, no.

Enhanced Steam

It's loving awesome, including checkboxes for multiple DLC. That's a godsend for things like Rocksmith and such.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have enhanced steam but i am not familiar with that feature

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Revenge bought Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?! for a friend who bought me Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I finally picked up Shadowrun Returns and it's sequels after having them be constantly recommended to me, I'm looking forward to the unusual merging of traditional fantasy and sci-fi elements. I also picked up Sunless Sea and A House of Many Doors, both of which have intrigued me for some time, although I don't usually play games of this sort. Lastly, I bought EMPORIUM (link), because no Steam purchase of mine would be complete without a pretentious walking simulator.

basalt fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 25, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PantsBandit posted:

Watchdogs 2 is fantastic, way better than it had to be.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

basalt posted:

Which reminds me, I bought a few games in GOG's own curiously timed summer sale, and received these. Please, free me from this burden!

Rebel Galaxy: HUR36E9A61EC02E5I7

Nabbed this, thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Obligatory reminder that there's Gift Train running! Come let goons decide what you should get off your wishlist! Remember to post what region you're in, too!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

ArbitraryC posted:

I've done like 5 playthroughs of Xcom 2 at this point and I haven't modded poo poo yet. It's a great game as is.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Can I get recs for Darks Souls-y games? I like the pace of combat, the freedom of the RPG system, and the variety in weapon styles. Thanks!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its tough because the knockoffs arent nearly as good

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you will know within 2 hours if you like lords of the fallen or not though, for example

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

loopsheloop posted:

Can I get recs for Darks Souls-y games? I like the pace of combat, the freedom of the RPG system, and the variety in weapon styles. Thanks!

While I haven't played any of these:

Surge - Dark Souls + Robots
Bloodborne - consoles only fast combat

2D:

Salt and Sanctuary

One I have played: Hollow Knight. Dark Souls/Metroidvania/bugs, honestly one of the best purchases I made this sale.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Necropolis is a coop game with clear Souls inspiration. It's content light, so I recommend it with caveats though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StrixNebulosa posted:

One I have played: Hollow Knight. Dark Souls/Metroidvania/bugs, honestly one of the best purchases I made this sale.

i loving love HK and it's easily my indie goty, butI don't think Dark Souls has any real weight in that comparison and gets thrown around WAY too much. Other than corpse runs which are the worst part of the game.

also yes the correct answer is buy a used PS4 and get Bloodborne. it is so loving good

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Anniversary posted:

Any thoughts on Helldivers? Is there still a community?

I don't think I've played a twin stick shooter since Crimsonland, but I've got really fond memories of that, so any chance it'll scratch that itch?

Also I feel like I need to buy Hollow Knight as it sounds like so many things I like but... how is the difficulty?

You could just buy crimsonland on steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

loopsheloop posted:

People keep saying Dead Cells is a good 2D Souls-like. No idea if that's accurate, but it might be worth investigating.

• Locked thread