Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Just to confirm, since I'm very new to this. If I'm following the Codex for the Ultramarines Primaris, The Hellblasters get the little chevron on their right shoulders (as opposed to the Intercessors who get the little up arrow, and the Lt, Lt, Cpt and banner guy who get the skulls)?

I'm looking the replicate the decals using those 3D printed pieces from Shapeways (arrows up, 4 arrows out, chevron, and skulls) and trying to make sure I get it right in terms of quantities to order - https://www.shapeways.com/product/TNJJL922T/4x10-squad-making-multipack-1?optionId=63010999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pendent posted:

I'm looking at the rules for the Stormbird now and it doesn't say anything either way about transporting bigmarines, which is actually pretty funny.

You're totally right though- both the Stormbird and Thunderhawk are way too expensive for most people to buy, and GW is apparently going to release another flyer that "makes the Thunderhawk look like a toy." How insane is the price for this thing going to be?

Cheaper if it's plastic. But still expensive.

I have a Thunderhawk and if they price their thing with 80 transport capacity at the 800pt mark I'm going to punch the lid out of my hat.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

HerrBrau posted:

I ended up winning a raffle prize that now adorns the wall above my hobby bench:

Take it down. Gently iron or steam it to get rid of the creases, then put it back up.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How are grey knights handling themselves this edition?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Literally everyone in my area who had sworn off 40k in the past ten years or so has fallen off the wagon for 8th. We all dug through our closets and found whole armies didn't even remember we had and now we're sending messages to each other organizing big triangle trades and poo poo. Feels like old times except now we all have money and no time.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Literally everyone in my area who had sworn off 40k in the past ten years or so has fallen off the wagon for 8th. We all dug through our closets and found whole armies didn't even remember we had and now we're sending messages to each other organizing big triangle trades and poo poo. Feels like old times except now we all have money and no time.

There's been more games of 40k played at my FLGS in the last 3 weeks than the rest of the year combined.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Master Twig posted:

There's been more games of 40k played at my FLGS in the last 3 weeks than the rest of the year combined.

Yeah, it had completely died out at my store, everyone was playing Blood Bowl, Guildball, and Infinity. Still are, but now they (and I) are feeling the old burn again.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Forgeworld is bad at writing rules.

Elysiums have an order called Move and shoot! which makes an infantry unit count all its weapons as assault weapons for a turn.

This means pistols and grenades are also assault weapons.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
8th is great but generic and I'm hoping they bring the flavor on with upcoming codex releases

Bring 8th edition to flavor country

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

Forgeworld is bad at writing rules.

Elysiums have an order called Move and shoot! which makes an infantry unit count all its weapons as assault weapons for a turn.

This means pistols and grenades are also assault weapons.

I don't own why this matters, is it because they already work in assaults?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JBP posted:

I don't own why this matters, is it because they already work in assaults?

No, its because now they get to throw a grenade and fire their pistol in addition to their gun.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Grenade is now a weapon type, which says a unit can only throw one grenade a turn.

Making grenades into assault weapons means each trooper in an elysian squad, who come stock with a lasgun, frag grenade, and can buy a krak grenade for 0 points, can shoot their lasgun and throw both grenades.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Working on a 1000 point started army for Guard. Starting with mostly esoteric choices, then may grab all my 'standard' choices later on (I am thinking we may get new Guard plastics sometime?). The Scions can either jump in, ride the Taurox Primes, or deploy on foot, which gives me some solid flexibility. Priest, Commissar, and Psykers can form a decent blob to meatshield or hold objectives. Ratlings and Sentinels deploy forward to disrupt and/or support Scions if they jump in.

Not super worried about how strong this is, mostly grabbing stuff I like. Any thoughts / suggestions on this?

Guard Battalion (996 points)

Tempestor Prime w/ Power sword and CMD Rod - 44
Lord Commissar w/ Power sword and bolt pistol - 55
Primaris Psyker - 40

Tempestus CMD Squad w/ Banner, Medic, Vox, and Plasma Gun - 66
Astropath w/ laspistol - 15
Ogryns - 90
Ratlings - 35

Conscripts x 20 - 60
Scion Squad w/ Volley / Melta / Vox - 122
Scion Squad w/ Volley / Melta / Vox - 122

Scout Sentinel w/ multi-laser - 45
Scount Sentinel w/ multi-laser - 45

Taurox Prime w/ Battle Cannon, Stubber, 2 x Volley Guns - 110
Taurox Prime w/ Gatling, Stubber, 2 autocannons - 112

Soldier o Fortune fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 24, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't realise you could use more than one weapon on a trooper if it was an assault weapon lol

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JBP posted:

I didn't realise you could use more than one weapon on a trooper if it was an assault weapon lol

Doesn't have to be assault. You can fire every non-pistol, non-grenade weapon you have, or all your pistols, or one grenade.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Wait, what?

So if I have a bolter and a bolt pistol on a Chaos marine I can fire both?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goose willis posted:

Wait, what?

So if I have a bolter and a bolt pistol on a Chaos marine I can fire both?

Non-pistol.

You can either fire all non-pistols and non grenade weapons, or fire all pistols, or throw 1 grenade per unit.

The order makes all weapons into assault. So pistols are no longer pistols, they're assault. Same with grenades.

All models can do this. There are models that can take a bolter and a combi bolter and use both. A scout bike sergeant can have a twin linked bolter, a shotgun, and a combi-weapon and use all 3 at the same time as an example.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh

But a tank can still fire every single gun it has right?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goose willis posted:

Oh

But a tank can still fire every single gun it has right?

As long as the guns aren't pistols or grenades, yes. These rules hold true for every model in the game. An infantry model with 5 heavy weapons can shoot all of them, so can a tank.

Edit: Also the leman russ conqueror is both better than and significantly cheaper than a standard battle cannon russ so that's fun. Not in a subjective way, but in that the conqueror cannon has the same statline other than 48 inch range, comes with a free coaxial storm bolter that has you reroll misses with the cannon if you fire it at the same target as the gun, and costs 19 points less. FW has been consistently lovely with these.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 24, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

As long as the guns aren't pistols or grenades, yes. These rules hold true for every model in the game. An infantry model with 5 heavy weapons can shoot all of them, so can a tank.

Edit: Also the leman russ conqueror is both better than and significantly cheaper than a standard battle cannon russ so that's fun. Not in a subjective way, but in that the conqueror cannon has the same statline other than 48 inch range, comes with a free coaxial storm bolter that has you reroll misses with the cannon if you fire it at the same target as the gun, and costs 19 points less. FW has been consistently lovely with these.

Doesn't it do D3 damage instead of D6 too?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

my kinda ape posted:

Doesn't it do D3 damage instead of D6 too?

Regular battle cannons do d3 as well.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

Regular battle cannons do d3 as well.

Oh yeah, battlecannons are dogshit lol

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Just realized I can put 6 flamers in a chimera with 2 special weapon squads.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Also just realized I can't give vox casters to a SW squad.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Veteran squad with 3 flamers, a heavy flamer, in a Chimera with a heavy flamer is not too bad.

Also, just watched the latest Tabletop Tactics battle report with a super heavy with 4 twin linked heavy flamer sponsons.

That's 8D6 automatic S5 hits whenever it gets charged.

:getin:

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Protip: don't charge a heldrake with some tactical marines "just because I have a powerfist" because that baleflamer is liquid bullshit on overwatch.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

My list for a 2000 point game on Tuesday. The strategy seems pretty self explanatory: advance/absorb with Pask, the Demolisher, and Guard blob. The HW squad, platoon commander and Battle Cannon LRs play the back field. Vets play the middle ground and react to how the game goes/capture objectives late game. Storm Troopers will basically do the same.

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [53 PL, 895pts] ++

+ HQ +

Knight Commander Pask [14 PL, 247pts]: Lascannon, Plasma Cannons
. Command Executioner: Turret-mounted Executioner Plasma Cannon

+ Elites +

Platoon Commander [2 PL, 20pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 72pts]
. Heavy Weapon Team: Lascannon

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [22 PL, 364pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Lascannon
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Lascannon

Leman Russ Demolishers [12 PL, 192pts]
. Leman Russ Demolisher: Lascannon, Turret-mounted Demolisher Siege Cannon

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [39 PL, 688pts] ++

+ HQ +

Tempestor Prime [2 PL, 41pts]: Bolt Pistol

+ Elites +

Commissar [2 PL, 35pts]: Bolt pistol, Power sword

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad [3 PL, 64pts]
. Tempestus Scion: Plasma gun

Special Weapons Squad [3 PL, 45pts]: 3x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer

Special Weapons Squad [3 PL, 45pts]: 3x Guardsman

Veterans [6 PL, 86pts]
. Veteran: Lasgun
. Veteran Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol
. Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Veteran w/ Vox-caster: Lasgun, Vox-caster

Veterans [6 PL, 101pts]
. Veteran Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol
. Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
. Veteran w/ Vox-caster: Lasgun, Vox-caster

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chimera [5 PL, 93pts]: Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser

Chimera [5 PL, 93pts]: Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser

Taurox [4 PL, 85pts]: 2x Autocannon

++ Battalion Detachment (Imperium - Adeptus Astra Telepathica) [1 PL, 21pts] ++

+ Elites +

Astropath [1 PL, 21pts]: Psychic Barrier, Telepathica Stave

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [25 PL, 396pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [3 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Tank Commander [13 PL, 225pts]: Heavy Bolters, Lascannon
. Command Battle Tank: Battle Cannon

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 47pts]
. 8x Guardsman
. Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

++ Total: [118 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TwingeCrag posted:

Protip: don't charge a heldrake with some tactical marines "just because I have a powerfist" because that baleflamer is liquid bullshit on overwatch.

In 1996, i was playing a team game. My space wolves with some dude's Ultramarines vs Tyranids and Chaos.

Dude charged a Lictor with a Space Marine Standard Bearer with a Powerfist. When asked of the reason for this he said, "He has a Powerfist!"

The Lictor was victorious.

My friend's and I still quote this.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So we're talking about starting an escalation league. I have a 500 point guard and 500 point marine list I use for low points games, seems like a good opportunity to combine them.

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [60 PL, 1000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [31 PL, 500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [3 PL, 36pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag grenade, Power axe

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 68pts]
. . 6x Guardsman: 6x Lasgun
. . Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer
. . Heavy Weapon Team: Lasgun, Missile launcher
. . Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

+ Elites +

Special Weapons Squad [3 PL, 39pts]
. . 3x Guardsman: 3x Lasgun
. . Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher

Special Weapons Squad [3 PL, 43pts]
. . 3x Guardsman: 3x Lasgun
. . Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Demo Charge

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 27pts]
. . Heavy Weapon Team: Lasgun, Mortar

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [11 PL, 192pts]: Stat Damage (Leman Russ)
. . Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Lascannon, Storm Bolter

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chimera [5 PL, 95pts]: Heavy Bolter, 2x Lasgun Arrays, Multi-laser, Stat Damage (Chimera), Storm Bolter

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [29 PL, 500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 97pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Relic blade, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 55pts]
. . Scout: Astartes shotgun, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades
. . Scout: Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Frag & Krak grenades
. . Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 175pts]
. . 7x Space Marine: 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Boltgun, 7x Frag & Krak grenades
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-flamer, Frag & Krak grenades
. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma cannon
. . Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma gun

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [9 PL, 173pts]: Predator autocannon, Storm bolter, Two Heavy Bolters

Created with BattleScribe

At 1500, I'd add in a squad of 4 company veterans with combi-plasmas, an assault cannon razorback to carry them and the captain, and a squad of cataphractii terminators.

At 2000, add a chaplain, move my heavy support to a spearhead detachment, land raider crusader, apothecary, and a vindicare assassin.

The list is super light on anti-bigstuff, with just the leman russ, predator autocannon, crusader's multimelta and a few heavy weapons scattered around. I'll have to be making sure to get my terminators into melee with stuff. But I don't want to make an overbearing list that kills everything and discoruages new players. Hopefully the other players will see it the same and not throw 8 dreadnoughts at me.

I'll have to totally rethink if it we decide to go with PL instead though since this 2000 point list is 117 PL.

Edit: Might go with a command squad instead of the special weapon grenade launcher squad. 2 less bodies, but makes them BS 3+ and lets me fit the company commander in the chimera to give orders to the two squads, either bring it down or take aim most likely.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 24, 2017

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I really want to like the Primaris dread, but it looks like one of those weirdly fat guys with really thin legs :-(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A guy just walked into the local store and bought 8th edition models, books and tabletop accessories for 1000 bucks and placed a few orders for things from the website via the store on top of that. He had apparently gotten back into it after quitting for several editions.

Just minutes later another guy asked for a demo of the new rules and set himself up to buy the new imperium pack, which the store was slowly running low on. Followed by another demo for some kids who were most likely going to ask their parents for some models to play with. Right after I bought some new pathfinders while I waited for one of the tables to clear up where someone was playing a demons and astra game.

Since the new release there have been more sales going on than almost a year's worth of 7th, even when that was popping. GW strategies seem to be paying off.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
There's really no shortage of people coming back after 10 year breaks right now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hams are back in style baybeeeee!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I had a good time painting this guy today:

Now I just need to wait for the wash on his base to dry and I can drybrush it and glue on some grass. :)

e: here's another angle:

Endman fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 24, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

There's really no shortage of people coming back after 10 year breaks right now.

It definitely got me, that's for sure.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

My list for a 2000 point game on Tuesday. The strategy seems pretty self explanatory: advance/absorb with Pask, the Demolisher, and Guard blob. The HW squad, platoon commander and Battle Cannon LRs play the back field. Vets play the middle ground and react to how the game goes/capture objectives late game. Storm Troopers will basically do the same.

Looks good. Would you benefit from Vox casters to ensure you can get orders to the right units when needed? And perhaps at least one Commissar to keep those squads in the game?

Edit: somehow missed your Commissar there. Whoops.

Soldier o Fortune fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 24, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yep. Game looked exciting again rather than frustrating.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Yep. Game looked exciting again rather than frustrating.

I particularly like how I have options instead of meta lists.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here. I last played in 5th Edition. Got my old 'nids out of the cellar. I've been a die-hard Warmachine/Hordes player for the last couple years, but in it's current state, 40k is an awesome beer&pretzel distraction. I even bought a couple boxes to get my army up to snuff. WMH is still my go-to game, but it's cool to put my swarm back on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I haven't played a game since 2005, but I did get my models out and paint some of them about three or four years ago. My warhammer buddy from then told me last month he's buying models and wants to play. I didn't even know about 8th edition. Getting 1500 pts of necrons and about 1200 pts of guard dusted off and put back together to finish painting.