Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Misc posted:

What's Blink-182 doing right now besides skipping fake festivals? Someone get the Baron Von Tito a new rashguard and pair of Vans.

edit: I went to way more Streetlight shows than Bosstones in my youth (the hiatus didn't help). Even still I never find myself randomly humming a Streetlight tune like I do "Where'd You Go" or "Royal Oil". The Bosstones have had staying power through my life, man.

but for me the opposite thing as your thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I grew up on Streetlight over Bosstones, so everyone's bad tastes are clearly a personal attack against me. Also, leaving New Jersey and missing out on the annual Streetlight Starland show (combined with the fact they won't come to loving Texas :argh:) is a personal attack on me as well.

And w/r/t randomly humming tunes, this conversation made me realize that my go-to pump up jams of exams this week has been a mix of Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint which in retrospect might not be the most optimistic of choices for wanting to do well :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever listened to the old live compilation album Ska Explosion from 1989? It was a concert held at the Astoria in London which featured some older artists like Laurel Aitken and Judge Dread (who acted as MC) as well as the Skadows (a European band who'd recorded an album in 1982 then split and reunited for this show) and bands like the Loafers, the Deltones and the Hotknives.

Strange time for ska music. 2 Tone had been done since 1981 or so ("Ghost Town" was basically the end of 2 Tone) but it was a few years off ska becoming popular in America. Bit of a wilderness. It's an interesting artefact.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently heard that Saxa from the Beat died last week, which I'm sorry to hear. Always enjoyed his playing.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
Hello Ska thread I stumbled upon this track by Ritchie Stephens and the Ska Nation Band. can anyone point me to other similar bands tia

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I was going to see the Specials on Friday but re-sale tickets are going for $100

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I noticed Bad Manners records were finally added to Spotify (at least here in the States, no idea what the international scene is like with rights, etc). Haven't heard some of these tracks in a minute ever since I got rid of my physical collection.

Ska is good loving music.

Misc fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 14, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bad Manners are great; really great group of musicians. Only 2 Tone band that I think had an actual horn section as part of the band. (Madness and the Beat had saxophonists, the Specials had Rico and Dick as "honorary" members who weren't on every song and the Selecter didn't have any horns.)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Got my tickets for the Aquabats in July with goddamn Reggie and the Full Effect hell yeah

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
New Jeff

https://jeffrosenstock.bandcamp.com/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

that original track is fuckin dope and the cover is incredible

still want him to record his cover of Radio Radio

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

When the gently caress is Vacation getting reissued on vinyl Jeff

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Lol you dont own a copy or two?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's not really ska.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not really ska.

It's also not good. Yeah I said it.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Yeah, we were just talking about how Jeff needs to rerelease the only good music he's done since ASoB

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

My friends band Sonic Libido is opening for the Bosstones in Maine next month.

That's super cool for him.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

That's awesome and still far enough away where he can change the name.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I know I'm jealous too

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
sonic libido, you friend is 17?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

"How'd I come up with the name? Easy; I took my favorite video game and something women never have around me."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't believe a ska/punk band would have an immature name, that's just unacceptable

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know how this escaped notice but Less Than Jake released a new EP in February: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Alarm-Less-Than-Jake/dp/B01NCSR0BI/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_1

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Anyone listen to The Skints?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Their albums are hit or miss. Saw them last year and they're a fun band to get high and dance to

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

When Pigs Cry posted:

Yeah, we were just talking about how Jeff needs to rerelease the only good music he's done since ASoB

Honestly Vacation is probably the best thing Jeff has ever released, followed closely by Worry.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Agreed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly Vacation is probably the best thing Jeff has ever released, followed closely by Worry.

We Cool is up there too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
lmao if you didnt spend last wednesday yelling AND NOW ITS JUUUUUUUUNE TWENTY FIRST at everyone

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

lmao if you didnt spend last wednesday yelling AND NOW ITS JUUUUUUUUNE TWENTY FIRST at everyone

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
add june 21st to your list of days to make dumb jokes about because of songs by dudes who have made ska, everyone

reminder that next year is the 20th anniversary of 1/17/98, the day tomas didn't get laid

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Saw the Bosstones play Break So Easily tonight. First time they have ever played it live. So that was cool.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ugh that's a good one, can't wait for Tuesday. That's on my short list of ones I want to hear, up there with Where You Come From, and the gat dang Zig Zag Dance that they played at the one throwdown in the last 5 that I wasn't at

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 24, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The mighty mighty bosstones are the raddest poo poo ever

dicky saw my tattoos, that he drew for me at a meet at greet two throwdowns ago, and told me that I'm a loving maniac which I take as the highest compliment

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You can't tell that story without pictures of said tattoos

edit: also so far the only True Album Show has been in Portland cause they played Wrong Thing Right Then in it's correct spot.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 27, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

gently caress man that's awesome

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

There's another on my shoulder that I can't really get without finding someone to say hey take a picture of this tattoo for the internet but it's "to be king you don't need a castle" that I just wanted him to write in his own hand writing to make it part of a music themed sleeve I'm working on but he actually drew a full loving tatt so I was like this is pretty rad gonna get it in its own spot, and then he drew that on his own so I figured might as well get both

e: I got it

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 29, 2017

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I haven't listened to some of the songs on Let's Face It for...a long time. But every single word came back immediately when they started playing. It's laser etched in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Seeing The Steady 45's in Omaha tonight. Never heard of them before I learned about this show but I like what I've looked up. Singer has a really soulful voice. Classic ska style is extremely my poo poo so I can't wait.