Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't Whoopi Goldberg have a cut Guinan cameo in Nemesis or am I crazy?

Yeah, she was there, uncredited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCj-2uKESdY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The computer started playing Sousa marching music on all communication channels. This is what I started watching the series for.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I feel sorry for the suicidal scientist who won't get to study the nova.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Feeling incredibly guilty about what he's doing to Dr. Stubbs but still unwilling to tell anyone about his mistake so he goes sleepless trying to fix it is also teenage and good characterization for Wesley.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh boy Data's gonna let the nanites possess him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All the old troubles will soon be at an end

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Not much of an ending but it was a good episode and gives me a firmer belief that it really is better from this point.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's was weird at the end how Wesley suddenly had a girlfriend and a bunch of friends out of nowhere with no explanation, and I don't imagine the moral "you need a girlfriend to be normal" sat well with many fans.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Phi230 posted:

The whole "shoot the spot" seemed like a huge deus ex machina thing especially when they had an entire episode dedicated to being unable to cope with fighting a borg cube and another episode where like 50 ships die to a cube

they needed to get rid of the cube

IMO it should've just been a probe or something that was so small that evaded everyone and the Enterprise detects it and has to chase it, then into the time warp

No, keep the cube. You gotta have that third-act big space battle with the cube. I've been thinking a lot about how this whole movie of First Contact's first ten minutes plays out.

Have a double-secret meeting like the one from ST6, where the Galaxy-class Captains are briefed on an imminent Borg threat to our solar system. Picard and crew are at Starfleet HQ on shore duty in the immediate aftermath of the crash of the Enterprise D. Nobody knows how to stop a Borg cube from the outside, so Starfleet is going into a military stance. “The Borg won’t be stopped by doves; we need hawks in command of our ships.” The jocks are in charge, and Picard the nerd is benched not because of his experience with the Borg - let's be real, that's an advantage - but because he had a chance to profoundly gently caress up the collective via Hugh and chose not to for the sake of ethics, and now billions are in danger. "You own this, Jean Luc."

Picard gets put behind a desk ("You're an outstanding Commanding Officer, Captain, but at a time like this we need more of a Kirk in the chair," which is kinda funny because Picard hung out with Kirk in the last movie), while the former Enterprise crew is assigned to a new Sovereign-class ship called the USS Eisenhower. This isn't the old Enterprise, it's a warship. More maneuverability, more weapons, better defenses. They get some aggressive meathead Captain, there's friction between him and Riker like in Chain of Command.

So the Eisenhower is traversing the Alpha Quadrant with the rest of the fleet doing combat drills and war-prep poo poo, while Picard is stuck at HQ "overseeing" the investigation into the Enterprise D crash, which really just amounts to repetitious interviews with bureaucrats. In his office is a damaged name plaque about two feet wide - "Enterprise, NCC-1701-D."

MEANWHILE, on the USS Eisenhower, they pick up signs of wreckage of a Borg scout craft on some moon or something. Captain Shithead asks Geordi, "If we can recover a drone, is does that give us another chance to take down the collective, like we could have with the last drone you picked up?" Geordi says yes, but is hesitant. After he leaves, Data, whose emotion chip is on but under control, confers with Geordi. "I believe there is a significant possibility that the Borg could be setting us up for an ambush." Data expresses a complicated emotion that Geordi diagnoses as apprehension. "You're nervous, Data. I don't blame you."

Captain Shithead orders an away mission, but since he doesn't trust this crew not to Hugh it up again, he decides he's going too. It's Captain Shithead, Geordi, Data, and Ensign Redshirt going down to this moon. No atmosphere, so everyone is in space suits. Maybe there's a fun visual bit where everyone is visibly uncomfortable in their suits while Data is just dressed like normal and giving no fucks. They find a drone by the crashed scout craft who is defenseless, and they go to work giving him the virus. Turns out Data was right, it's an ambush by a drone squad, and we have an action scene. Geordi runs dodging phaser shots, Ensign Redshirt gets cornered and just at the last second a flying loving boulder takes out two Borg drones from offscreen, thrown by Data. Captain Shithead gets assimilated. gently caress. The Borg leave with him and Geordi, Data, and Ensign Timmy beam back to the Eisenhower.

Picard, back at HQ, gets wind of just went down. He loving books it to Admiral Nechaev's office. Armed guards lining the halls. He tells her Riker is more than ready for command, but given his experience with the Borg and the rapidly deteriorating situation, he needs to be there. A Captain belongs with his crew. She reminds him that he’s no longer their Captain gives him a speech about how the decisions get harder the more you advance in the ranks. Moving up means moving further and further away from the rules, and how the more power someone has the more dependent they are on their own character to stay in bounds. "I can't send you into the fray, Jean Luc. We need leaders here, too. With our fleet heading to engage with the Borg outside the solar system, we've got ships from every corner of Federation space coming to form a last line of defense for Earth. We've even brought the Defiant in from Deep Space Nine." Picard notices, maybe a little music cue. "The Defiant?" Nechaev gives him a knowing look.

Smash cut to Worf, big swingin' dick of the USS Defiant. He's ordering food rations to be put near minimum necessary and personal baggage moved off to make it to the coming engagement to make room for weapons. The guy Adam Scott plays in First Contact is hauling two duffel bags off, Worf stops him. He opens one up and pulls out his bat'leth. "I'll be needing this. Leave the rest pierside."

"Expecting trials, Mr. Worf?" asks Picard. Picard and Worf reunite, it's fun. "I expect glory, Captain," he says as he looks at his bat'leth and then at the Defiant, "in any form." Picard gets Worf on board for "gently caress this Last Stand poo poo, let's take it to these motherfuckers." Glory shot of the Defiant leaving space dock, cut to Nechaev checking on Picard in his office, now empty with the salvaged Enterprise plaque off the wall, cut to the Defiant entering warp.

Meanwhile, on the Eisenhower, Commander Riker is now in charge. Crew regroups and has an expository “poo poo’s bad, here’s why” scene in the conference room.

Aboard the Defiant, have some kind of scene establishing that while Worf has a different style from Picard he’s still an outstanding leader who gets things done differently, but still gets things done. Maybe give him one of those dog things from the opening of ST3 that sits next to his chair.

Riker gets called to the Bridge, they’re being hailed. It’s Picard aboard the Defiant. “I’ve been told command has been reserved for the hawks among us. Let’s show them how doves fight.” Picard carries a bag and prepares to beam aboard the Eisenhower and asks Worf if he’s feeling nostalgic. “Captain, I…a Captain belongs with his crew.” Picard replies, “Fair winds, Mr. Worf.”

Riker briefs Picard that the Borg cube is estimated to be six hours away. Picard informs him of the Defiant’s increased loadout, they do a weapons transfer so the Eisenhower is more armed than before. Picard asks, “does everyone have their bat’leth?”

“Sir?”

“Hand weapons, Number One. The Borg aren’t going to destroy this ship, they’ll want her crew. They’ll board us.”

“I’ll see to it,” says Ensign Redshirt, amazingly still alive quite deep into the movie.

“Captain,” asks Riker, “they have Captain Shithead in their collective. They know what he knows. They have our defense strategy. How do you see us stopping them.”

“Number one, I’ve been chest-deep in incident reports for the last six months. Let me ask you something - Captain Shithead, does he strike you as someone who reads reports of other ships’ encounters?”

“I’d say not.”

“Good,” says Picard. “Now, one more thing. Do we have any paint?”

“We have a standard five-year deployment quantity of liquid signal pigment for a ship of this class,” says Data. Picard smiles and opens his bag - the salvaged ENTERPRISE plaque inside. He sticks it to the wall (magnets? I don’t know, make it cool). Music swells, the ship does a beauty shot flyby with “EISENHOWER” painted over with “ENTERPRISE,” reminiscent of “HMS BOUNTY” painted on the side of the Bird of Prey in ST4. Keep the original E, make the rest of the letters look kinda hasty. Enterprise and the Defiant part ways, with the Defiant heading full-speed back to Earth and the Enterprise joining the forward fleet.

Welp, gently caress, the Borg cube found a :technobabble: (or maybe something Captain Shithead knew) way to get past the forward fleet so the Enterprise turns around, goes full throttle to catch up and gets to Earth just in time to join the party with the Defiant and all the little last line of defense ships. Keep the big entrance from First Contact here, that worked well. Good scale.

Picard remembers. He remembers being Locutus. He remembers the cube. “Number One, you have the bridge.” Heads to the Transporter, tells them to beam him to X location in the cube. As Picard arrives on the Borg Cube, we cut to the Defiant, Worf and Worf’s Bros are hand-to-hand fighting a Borg boarding party, with pretty good success. Have a little mini action scene that ends with the Borg boarding party going down but somehow loving up the Defiant in the process. Worf orders crew into escape pods (does the Defiant have that? I don’t know and neither does Brannon Braga) and hails the Enterprise.

“Commander, the Defiant is critically damaged. Either open your shuttle bay or put up aft shields, it’s your choice.” Mic drop, ducks into escape pod, mashes button. Escape pod jets out of the Defiant as it explodes way bigger than a ship of that size should, escape pod crashes between the still-opening doors to the shuttle bay and skids to a stop, maybe taking out a shuttle or two on the way. Worf orders his crew to “secure the immediate area.” They’re all humans, all holding batleths.

Picard sneaks through the cube until he gets to its core, and there’s Captain Shithead, now assimilated. He confronts him. Captain Shithead, hard wired to a bunch of poo poo, says “We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is fu-”

“Sleep.”

“Resistance is futi-”

“Sleep. Captain Shithead, SLEEP.”

“Res….Res….” Captain Shithead visibly struggles. He’s still in there.

“SLEEP!”

“...is fuuuuuuu” Captain Shithead gets himself to go to sleep, along with the rest of the Borg Defense Network, which is going through him because he’s got all the Federation knowledge. Don’t think too hard about it. Lights go dim. Cut to Enterprise.

“Borg cube shields are down, sir,” reports Data.

Riker opens a channel to the nearby ships, “hold your fire!”

Data reports, “one human life sign, I believe it is the Captain. He is standing near Captain Shithead.”

“Beam Captain Shithead to the Olympic and bring Captain Picard back aboard.”

“We have them, sir.”

“Ensign redshirt....Fire.”

The Enterprise unloads on the Borg cube, it blows up, the sphere pops out and the Enterprise chases it down. It goes into the Temporal whatever with the Enterprise in its wake. Picard arrives at the Bridge, just in time to see the suddenly-different-looking Earth. Data announces the population…”All Borg.”

Smash to “TO BE CONTINUED.” Do the rest of First Contact as the next movie. There’s your good two-movie TNG arc. Wesley dies offscreen.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 24, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's was weird at the end how Wesley suddenly had a girlfriend and a bunch of friends out of nowhere with no explanation, and I don't imagine the moral "you need a girlfriend to be normal" sat well with many fans.

Fans don't like Wesley to begin with though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Is there a German word for "disappointment that you'll never be able to see something come to life despite that it should have happened 20 years ago"?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can make it better.

Michael Ironside as Captain Shithead.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

(does the Defiant have that? I don’t know and neither does Brannon Braga)

It does, and they even get used! :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JXMhbWOIno&t=157s

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Phi230 posted:

The whole "shoot the spot" seemed like a huge deus ex machina thing especially when they had an entire episode dedicated to being unable to cope with fighting a borg cube and another episode where like 50 ships die to a cube

they needed to get rid of the cube

IMO it should've just been a probe or something that was so small that evaded everyone and the Enterprise detects it and has to chase it, then into the time warp

If I remember right there was an early draft of the ship where the Borg invasion consists of numerous cubes, but the quantum torpedoes are more like the future-tech torpedoes from Voyager's finale as they basically each pop a cube in a single shot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kazinsal posted:

Is there a German word for "disappointment that you'll never be able to see something come to life despite that it should have happened 20 years ago"?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're in the Mirror Universe. This is just further proof.

Return of the Jedi with Wookies instead of Ewoks
Season 3 of Sarah Connor Chronicles
Season 5 of BSG
Seasons 2, 3, and 5 of Firefly

gently caress this timeline, I'm outta here.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Holy poo poo is this where Hussie got the idea?

That looks like a pretty bog-standard Type I nova.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Season 5 of BSG
Seasons 2, 3, and 5 of Firefly

Eeehhhhhh... I don't think we needed either of those.

A fifth season of BSG would just be really long and drawn out and would have had poo poo thrown at the wall regardless of whether or not it stuck. They had a hard enough time wrapping up the fourth season and the overarching plot that they basically just went with "the Cylons were right from the start, God did it the whole time".

I'm mixed on further seasons of Firefly. It could have been something either really good or really bad, and since I'm kind of ambivalent about the half season we got and the wrap-up movie, I don't know whether or not I'd want to chance it. If it'd be good then it'd be a classic by now, and if it'd be bad then at the very least we'd have fewer insufferable Mal-cosplaying fedoramancers putting together monthly change.org petitions to "bring back firefly" today.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I always loved it when they did regular science stuff like this, sometimes just bringing the mundane into sharper focus is far more interesting than some imaginary hurfleblurf.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As long as you can get over "glorious 240p quality" this is fairly interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gDeTNvKizY

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

A fifth season of BSG would just be really long and drawn out and would have had poo poo thrown at the wall regardless of whether or not it stuck. They had a hard enough time wrapping up the fourth season and the overarching plot that they basically just went with "the Cylons were right from the start, God did it the whole time".

If you watch it again, you realise that they while they didn't know the details, they were clearly planning to have "God did it" from the start.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 24, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MikeJF posted:

If you watch it again, you realise that they while they didn't know the details, they were clearly planning to have "God did it" from the start.

Yeah, that hit me on my first rewatch, and at that point, the finale started to be a bit more fitting in my head.

The "suddenly it's 2009" scene at the end is still way too heavy-handed though, imo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wait, so the ending of BSG is like literally just "It's God's will"? Like it's not like DS9 where, sure, there are godlike beings, but you can at least form an argument that it's just weird time-alien fuckery?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
More or less it's God's will that Humans and Cylon suffer eons of destruction until we learn to break the cycle, also everybody decides (unanimously) to go wander off into a field and die or something

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

The "suddenly it's 2009" scene at the end is still way too heavy-handed though, imo.

I felt like the writer was really proud after making that, but holy gently caress it's so stupid. "We're working on robots, oh nooooooooo!"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Tighclops posted:

More or less it's God's will that Humans and Cylon suffer eons of destruction until we learn to break the cycle, also everybody decides (unanimously) to go wander off into a field and die or something

God works in mysterious ways, though often involving genocide.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Nessus posted:

Wait, so the ending of BSG is like literally just "It's God's will"? Like it's not like DS9 where, sure, there are godlike beings, but you can at least form an argument that it's just weird time-alien fuckery?

Are you that shocked that the answer is literally what they told you it was the entire series? They literally tell you multiple times that God has a plan. God does, the cylons didn't.

BSG's ending was on its face terrible for multiple reasons. It was low key fantastic because nerds spent over half a decade formulating theories and ignoring the poo poo that's explicitly laid out about angels, God and destiny only to have it be exactly that in the end.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the biggest clue that they would do something like that was the fact that the original BSG also had an over the top in your face religious element including literally Satan showing up and loving around with Apollo and friends

Unfortunately in nu-BSG's "naturalistic sci fi" setting as Ron Moore puts it the religious stuff comes off as nonsensically and unsatisfying as it does in real life leading to the disappointment in the finale

Also I don't care how many years you're chased through space by genocidal robots, neither you nor anyone you could name would vote to give up toilet paper or at least the plumbing to operate a bidet

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Stop, I hear enough about this in the Game of Thrones thread.

MikeJF posted:

You don't know poo poo.

dont even fink about it posted:

Fans don't like Wesley to begin with though.

Yeah but it was still the thing that made his mom stop worrying.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You don't know poo poo.

Fiiiiiiiiine, single degenerate progenitors aren't the most common of Ia.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Oh god it wasn't a dream, I actually wrote TNG fanfic last night and posted it on the forums

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Speaking of weird movie stuff... can someone confirm or deny this?

I thought for sure in the series after the emotion chip Lore installed in Data was removed (I feel like that was in "Descent") that it was rendered unusable. Then in Generations he just installs it like it's no big deal.

Am I misremembering this?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It was damaged and Geordi stopped him from destroying it for being too dangerous.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Oh god it wasn't a dream, I actually wrote TNG fanfic last night and posted it on the forums

Don't worry. I didn't read it. Your secret's safe with me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I kept reading it as Shi-thayd.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Are you that shocked that the answer is literally what they told you it was the entire series? They literally tell you multiple times that God has a plan. God does, the cylons didn't.

They said literally every loving episode that the cylons had a plan.

The writers intended for there to be one, but never managed to figure out anything coherent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tunicate posted:

They said literally every loving episode that the cylons had a plan.

They actually dropped the "... and they have a plan" bit from the intro in the third season.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Spoeank posted:

yeah but that plan sucks lol

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
im ok w/ bsg's ending but i was also raised mormon so from the get go ive been immersed in the whole god/scifi thing

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like that every time the mormons go to space in sci fi, they immediately get owned by bugs or get their ship ripped off by belters or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The warning sign of a terrible ending is one that has to include new exposition and boy howdy the BSG final episode has like 15 minutes of exposition.

Not like setting up the episode's plot but literal flashbacks.