Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Haifisch posted:

I'm not that old, geez.

Content:

Haven't paid for electricity for 10 months and nothing has happened

If only there was some sort of rent contract they could read, so they could have known from the start whether they were supposed to pay electric or not.

So I did the flip side of this where I had my electric account at my old apartment, moved, told the power company that I was moving, and then never cancelled. I ended up paying like $100 before I realized I was paying for my new apartment and my old empty one.

The power company told me to talk to my apartment and my old apartment ignored me, so I guess they won there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

So I did the flip side of this where I had my electric account at my old apartment, moved, told the power company that I was moving, and then never cancelled. I ended up paying like $100 before I realized I was paying for my new apartment and my old empty one.

The power company told me to talk to my apartment and my old apartment ignored me, so I guess they won there.

This basically happened to me, except I was asked to leave the account open so the people moving in after me didn't have to wait to get utilities connected. They would create their own account and then we'd settle up (this was all done through a leasing company).

Surprise, three months go by and new tennants haven't created an account, so I get hit with their $500 bill for the quarter on top of mine. Told by power company I am legally liable for it, leasing company is apologetic and says they'll get them to pay, still no word.

Next time I move, the new tenants can sit in the dark until they connect it themselves.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This basically happened to me, except I was asked to leave the account open so the people moving in after me didn't have to wait to get utilities connected. They would create their own account and then we'd settle up (this was all done through a leasing company).

Surprise, three months go by and new tennants haven't created an account, so I get hit with their $500 bill for the quarter on top of mine. Told by power company I am legally liable for it, leasing company is apologetic and says they'll get them to pay, still no word.

Next time I move, the new tenants can sit in the dark until they connect it themselves.

This sounds scummy and should-be-illegal as hell. Here the leasing company takes over the power contract immediately (so the place has power while they show it to possible tenants, if it sits empty) and you aren't allowed to move in until you call the power company and get an account code thing that says they're aware of it and will start billing you instead of the leasing company the second you occupy the apartment. Like "do you have the power company account transfer number set up, we can't continue at all if you don't" was the very first thing the leasing manager said to me when i walked in the door to sign my lease.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Why on earth would you ever trust a leasing agent?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pompous Rhombus posted:

100% and completely your fault. Lol at your check to (implicitly) blame the leasing company. That is like blaming the robber for the robbery.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

therobit posted:

Why on earth would you ever trust a leasing agent?
This.... WTF!

I thought you call up, ask to cancel or move to a new property. The other tenant calls up and says I am moving into such and such place. They take care of the transfer and nobody has to go without electricity.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

John Smith posted:

100% and completely your fault. Lol at your check to (implicitly) blame the leasing company. That is like blaming the robber for the robbery.

Who else do you blame in a robbery?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Non Serviam posted:

Society. :smuggo:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

If there's one thing we know from John Smith's avatar its that there's no such thing as society.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Non Serviam posted:

The robbed. If appropriate.

Seems pretty clear to me that Pompous Rhombus should be faulted for falling so readily to the deception. Whereas the robber is duty bound to rob, by the very nature of his job description, and does not (willingly) accept any moral obligation towards his victim.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Funnily enough, my roommates and I just found out we haven't been paying for electricity for this past year. We all thought one of the others was paying for it. So that's gonna be a fun $1500 bill to take care of. We haven't even been getting any letters or anything either. And the landlord sure as hell isn't paying it. It's really weird.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

John Smith posted:

Seems pretty clear to me that Pompous Rhombus should be faulted for falling so readily to the deception. Whereas the robber is duty bound to rob, by the very nature of his job description, and does not (willingly) accept any moral obligation towards his victim.

So how many Ayn Rand books do you own?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So how many Ayn Rand books do you own?
Just 2. Not that big a fan of her specific ideology though.

But I mean, am I wrong in that comment? Isn't it obvious that moral persuasion doesn't work on robbers, by their very nature? Is this really that ideological a comment to have made?

John Smith fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 24, 2017

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

John Smith posted:

Hell yeah! The victim blaming industry is on the rise, smart investment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If they didn't wanna get robbed they wouldn't have had all that stuff in their house. They were asking for it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Hell yeah! The victim blaming industry is on the rise, smart investment.

Oh thank goodness. We haven't been able to question an assault victim's choice of clothing for a hot minute.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krispy Kareem posted:

Oh thank goodness. We haven't been able to question an assault victim's choice of clothing for a hot minute.
Just to clarify, I 100% believe in victim blaming for rape and sky diving as well. Not joking.

Not for choice of clothing though. More for practical choices like placing yourself within an extreme risk environment and engaging in no protective measures. Rapists gonna rape, victims don't necessarily have to victim. I don't engage in risky behaviour, why are you entitled to engage in risky behaviour?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Stop trying to start poo poo and just go away. This is not the thread for you or your topics.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

John Smith posted:

Just to clarify, I 100% believe in victim blaming for rape and sky diving as well. Not joking.

Not for choice of clothing though. More for practical choices like placing yourself within an extreme risk environment and engaging in no protective measures. Rapists gonna rape, victims don't necessarily have to victim. I don't engage in risky behaviour, why are you entitled to engage in risky behaviour?

:fuckoff::frogout:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Tell us more about how she was actually just asking for it, please. This entire thread is tingling with erotic desire for your fantasies.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Holy poo poo. Holy. loving. poo poo.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Volmarias posted:

Tell us more about how she was actually just asking for it, please. This entire thread is tingling with erotic desire for your fantasies.
I absolutely do not believe this is so in my example. I doubt that many women have such unusual secret fantasies.

My point was that they willing engaged in risky behaviour, for which they bear (some) responsibilities.

Edit: Rape is not ok. And people should avoid risky behaviour which may end up with them getting robbed or raped.

Bhodi posted:

Stop trying to start poo poo and just go away. This is not the thread for you or your topics.
Have you thought that maybe it isn't so much me wanting to start poo poo as SA being such an echo chamber that opposing viewpoints have become starting poo poo?

Still, fair enough. I won't comment further for this here then. [posters here are still entitled to take their shots at me]

John Smith fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 24, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Just put his trivial rear end on your ignore list and report, he never contributes anything to this thread anyway. If it weren't for you guys quoting him I wouldn't have to read his 5th grade libertarian bs at all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'd actually like John Smith post his beliefs of when, exactly, it is ok to rape someone, mainly for helldump purposes.

John Smith posted:

Have you thought that maybe it isn't so much me wanting to start poo poo as SA being such an echo chamber that opposing viewpoints have become starting poo poo?

"Rape is never ok" doesn't seem like a controversial viewpoint, and yet...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

I'd actually like John Smith post his beliefs of when, exactly, it is ok to rape someone, mainly for helldump purposes.

Could you indulge his pleas for attention somewhere else, at least?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

John Smith posted:

Hmm yes you're right clearly we need to be open and have a civil and calm discussion on the opposing political viewpoints of "is it okay to blame rape victims for getting raped" like it's the national deficit or something

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Would you motherfuckers stop taking the bait with this guy?

Do I need to buy a horse on credit to get this thread baxk on track?

Today driving past a trailer park I sa multiple brand new trucks, and a couple of them had to have been $50-60k. This was a lovely trailrr.park, not a seniors community. Thier trucks are costing more thayn thier housing.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Indulge in....some tales of bad with money.

quote:

I at this point in time have around 19 thousand dollars in credit card debt with an interest rate of 26.34%, and I have not always been able to make my payments on time. In addition, I have recently lost my job, but I think I am close to finding a new one as an EMT-Basic, and I needed to take on 1 thousand dollars in student loans to pay for the training for that. The mortgage that I was looking at has an interest rate of 7.65%, and I was planning on making payments of 1 thousand dollars per month, but I am open to suggestions. I really want to continue to have a few credit cards, and my parents have warned me against using online mortgage brokers, and also wish that I never contact them again. Does this sound like a good idea?

By the way, the title is "I am hoping to acquire a house soon."

edit: bonus :downs:

Higgy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 24, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

He's going to be really pissed when he gets certified and finds out EMT-B's make fast food wages.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Houses! I keep reading about Milleneals being scarred by the great recession as it relates to housing, but then everyone goes out and buys houses for too much money and I just don't get it.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

crazypeltast52 posted:

Houses! I keep reading about Milleneals being scarred by the great recession as it relates to housing, but then everyone goes out and buys houses for too much money and I just don't get it.

The American Dream™ is a strong pull. Somehow people keep getting convinced that renting is throwing money away and that you deserve to be in a house. Never mind that your mortgage payment is your minimum payment of your housing now. Nope nope nope, let's get you into a house because that's your god drat right.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Higgy posted:

The American Dream™ is a strong pull. Somehow people keep getting convinced that renting is throwing money away and that you deserve to be in a house. Never mind that your mortgage payment is your minimum payment of your housing now.

I put this in the same category of friends who want to leave corporate jobs to become "job creators" in vague undefined ways. I'm like, you probably add more economic output by working corporate and spending money at local businesses than you would by trying to run your own. And make more money doing it too!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

meat police posted:

He's going to be really pissed when he gets certified and finds out EMT-B's make fast food wages.

Isn't EMT-B like, the level where you can get on the job training at a lot of places? I know my college offered free EMT-B training if you got the campus ambulance job (and before you get the certification you just drive the thing, or something? I wasn't really clear on how that worked)

This also meant that your work hours tended to be "when all the parties were" since that's when the most alcohol poisoning happens so it was mostly the real boring kids who took that job, but hey free training :v:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

ate all the Oreos posted:

Isn't EMT-B like, the level where you can get on the job training at a lot of places? I know my college offered free EMT-B training if you got the campus ambulance job (and before you get the certification you just drive the thing, or something? I wasn't really clear on how that worked)

This also meant that your work hours tended to be "when all the parties were" since that's when the most alcohol poisoning happens so it was mostly the real boring kids who took that job, but hey free training :v:

It's usually where folks start off at to get their foot in the door. It goes EMT-Basic, EMT-Advanced, then Paramedic. I would've totally been that boring kid in college, EMTs have the craziest stories.

Thunderbird_Wine
Aug 6, 2007

meat police posted:

I'd love to know what prompted him to take out a $1000 loan for an EMT-B class when you can normally get a volunteer squad to pay the course cost if you put in the bare minimum of effort.

April
Jul 3, 2006

This kid is just precious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6j5way/how_to_get_a_personal_loan_to_bail_friend_out_of/?st=j4bunn5o&sh=a6eb5275

quote:

Hi personal finance wizards. My friend is in jail and I'm trying to bail him out. His bail is $5000 and I'm a grad student who does not have $5000. I talked to a bondsman who will work with me but because I'm out of state he needs all the cash up front anyway. My question is, HOW do I get a bank to loan me $5000 at a reasonable interest rate if I'm technically unemployed? (I babysit occasionally but it's not a major source of income and I live with my parents.) The thing about bail is, I'm guaranteed to get $4500 back within six months ($500 goes to the bondsman) so the bank really has no need to worry. How can I explain that to them without saying I need the loan for bail money?

This OP never says exactly how much he financed, so I'm sure there's no way he borrowed more than the car is worth, right?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6j83qn/i_was_stupid_and_bought_a_car_at_a_high_interest/?st=j4bunp68&sh=d15313ae

quote:

So long story short, about 4 months ago I bought a 2016 Nissan Versa with an 18% interest rate. Awful, I know, but I had no credit and I let the dealer tell me "oh, with no credit that's the best you're gonna find!" I've been trying to find ways to lower it, and I'm not sure where to start. I've heard refinancing but I don't know how to go about it, and I've also heard it hits your credit pretty bad. I wouldn't be opposed to trading in the vehicle for something else but I don't think the trade in value alone would pay off the loan. Any advice you've got would be super helpful, thanks!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm only technically unemployed by society's lame normative standards of employment, c'mon

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
That isn't even how bonding works. If you have a $5,000 bail you pay a bondsman usually 10% and they keep your $500 and put up $5,000. So he only needs $500.

If you're putting up the full $5,000 in cash then you don't need a bondsman.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Isn't that how the whole bounty hunting industry in the US works? I always thought it was the bondsman bringing back absconders so they could get their capital back.

Bounty Hunting GWM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

This sounds scummy and should-be-illegal as hell. Here the leasing company takes over the power contract immediately (so the place has power while they show it to possible tenants, if it sits empty) and you aren't allowed to move in until you call the power company and get an account code thing that says they're aware of it and will start billing you instead of the leasing company the second you occupy the apartment. Like "do you have the power company account transfer number set up, we can't continue at all if you don't" was the very first thing the leasing manager said to me when i walked in the door to sign my lease.

The leasing company is pretty small-time and I've had a few minor issues with them in the past (not outright being jerks or anything, just kind of incompetent). At the time I was juggling a lot on my plate at work and was just like "yes, fine, whatever" because that was the way I moved into the place and it worked out.