Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

No, you're not. There is no good space combat sim on the market right now. Elite: Dangerous is the closest thing, but it's too empty to be fun. All I want is a drat Star Wars space combat sim where I can sit in the cockpit of a snub-nose fighter and fight in the Battle of Endor, weaving around capital ships and squads of TIEs while the Death Star is blowing up Rebel ships. Is that too much to ask?
considering that EA has the exclusive rights for star wars games, it's too much to ask

nigga crab pollock posted:

what started the trend of platform games having a whole bunch of minigames and very different playstyles because i understand it comes about because you need to switch up gameplay but it takes it to an extreme that ends up not working really well when you compare it to a game like, idk, rayman 2. you got plenty of variety but it was still like the same game and basic control scheme rather than 'here is a racing segment' 'here is a mech segment' 'here is a platform segment'
i blame rare. they first did it with DK64 and its golden banana minigames. they continued it with banjo-tooie, with the most obvious example being the jigsaw puzzle minigame being required to open levels (this was in banjo-kazooie as well, but it was a hidden, completely optional thing). and i guess it took off after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

VideoTapir posted:

Super Mario 3 did it, but it was maybe a little less jarring than some that came later (like sonic 2's weird rotating nightmare levels).

I don't remember anything in smb 3 that isn't, you know, mario platforming

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I loved Dragon age 3

You mean DAI? What a generic, repetitive and generally boring piece of garbage that was. Looked pretty at times, though.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

You mean DAI? What a generic, repetitive and generally boring piece of garbage that was. Looked pretty at times, though.

I quit playing the game after it continually tried to steer my conversations towards loving the big moosemonster dude. I got the internet, i can find my own moosemonster action.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

I don't like how GTAV's story is split between 3 characters.

Honestly the only reason I only play GTA:O is you can't just be Trevor all the time

I literally could give a gently caress about the other two, Trevor is the best character GTA's ever done, because there's not a ridiculous disconnect between the cut scenes and the poo poo you actually do in the games.

... speaking of which I don't know if this opinion is unpopular but I think Saint's Row IV is one of the best comedy games made in the last several years and is right up there with classics like portal, partly because it addresses this poo poo head on when the villain is pointing out how you're acting like the good guy while "you probably ran over two dozen people on your way here because you decided taking the sidewalk was 2 seconds faster than the road, and you're supposed to be the hero in all this?"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

considering that EA has the exclusive rights for star wars games, it's too much to ask

They also have the exclusive rights to Wing Commander, though they briefly were going to let :pgi: take a crack at it, then that fell through and became the Transpace hilarity

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If games are art then Saints Row IV is a masterpiece.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 are the only good Sonic games.

Tails sucks and his introduction doomed the franchise.

Another unpopular opinion: There are no good Sonic games

Well maybe other people "get them" in a way I do not, but to me it always seemed like I was controlling a wild pinball through a mini-golf course of chaos, with absolutely no loving idea where my spinning blue ball of rings was going to actually land

Until you hit some stupid loving jump that grinds all momentum to a halt until you can figure it out, then it's back to wild "I have no real control over this, I'm just spinning along" gameplay

Maybe there was some secret to it or some real good way to play it but I never really had it click

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

If games are art then Saints Row IV is a masterpiece.

I can think of VERY few games of this sort I 100% completed and I totally did with SR4.

Plus, if you rock a Duke Nukem skin and use gold Desert Eagles a lot, it's the best Duke Nukem Forever we could have asked for

The Dennis System posted:

Saint's Row? Better than GTA.

What's funny is I think the switch over might happen again.

They're talking about making Saint's Row 5 "more serious and gritty like the earlier ones, like the old fans wanted" which sounds loving atrocious

Meanwhile in GTA you can now buy a Fallout vault and a flying rocket-spewing motorcycle

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 23, 2017

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
TBH I think SR2 had the best feel to it, didn't get as much into the later ones.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Stickfigure posted:

TBH I think SR2 had the best feel to it, didn't get as much into the later ones.

I had SR2 on PC. It was such a glitchy, unoptimized piece of poo poo but I loved every second of it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SR2 is the best overall experience, SR3 has the coolest aesthetic, SR4 is fun for how little it gives a gently caress and throws out any pretension to sanity right at the door. I really didn't like the budget-superhero powers though. And Kenzie sucks.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
All the characters in Saint's Row started looking weird after Saint's Row 2. They all looked like they were made of clay or something. It was strange.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
SR4 is my favorite because it's got Rowdy Roddy Piper, may he rest in peace.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In SR2 you trick Biker-Worf into tattooing his face with radioactive ink. Then after he kills one of your crew by dragging him behind a car, you kidnap Biker-Worf's girlfriend and stash her in the trunk of a car. You then sneak that car into a monster-truck stadium where Biker-Worf drives his giant four-wheeler over it, not knowing his girlfriend is in there.

SR2 is pitch-loving-black and it's awesome.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

In SR2 you trick Biker-Worf into tattooing his face with radioactive ink. Then after he kills one of your crew by dragging him behind a car, you kidnap Biker-Worf's girlfriend and stash her in the trunk of a car. You then sneak that car into a monster-truck stadium where Biker-Worf drives his giant four-wheeler over it, not knowing his girlfriend is in there.

And IIRC, it's after you burn that bikers musician friend alive at a concert.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

mind the walrus posted:

And the whole time, the protagonist is just like "lol this is gonna be classic"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well, they weren't wrong

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

The only good 3D platformer was Jumping Flash.

It has not aged well, except for the music

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jazz Jackrabbit was and is cooler than Sonic.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nigga crab pollock posted:

I don't remember anything in smb 3 that isn't, you know, mario platforming

The puzzles. When it was new, the picture matching puzzle was an OMG-how-do-I-do-this-mash-buttons moment until you got the timing.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

sebzilla posted:

Jazz Jackrabbit was and is cooler than Sonic.

At this point, Bubsy is cooler than Sonic.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare was actually a pretty drat fun game and I loved the crazy space setpieces. What game has you dropping to the surface of Europa, with Jupiter taking up the entire horizon, to storm a CIA-esque black site?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I loving hate Super Mario World and care about that fact to a puzzling degree.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

mind the walrus posted:

I loving hate Super Mario World and care about that fact to a puzzling degree.

It was a step down from SMB3 in every regard except maybe the background designs.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mind the walrus posted:

I loving hate Super Mario World

Congratulations on the hottest take in the thread!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

At this point, Bubsy is cooler than Sonic.

Bubby was always cooler than Sonic though?????

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Blazing Ownager posted:

Another unpopular opinion: There are no good Sonic games

Well maybe other people "get them" in a way I do not, but to me it always seemed like I was controlling a wild pinball through a mini-golf course of chaos, with absolutely no loving idea where my spinning blue ball of rings was going to actually land

Until you hit some stupid loving jump that grinds all momentum to a halt until you can figure it out, then it's back to wild "I have no real control over this, I'm just spinning along" gameplay

Maybe there was some secret to it or some real good way to play it but I never really had it click

Agreed completely. The on rails parts are cool and pretty and not much of a game, and then everything falls apart when you gotta control sonic.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I'm sill waiting for a new Vectorman game, personally.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if the NES SMB3 had a save feature, i think more people would rank it above SMW

Blazing Ownager posted:

They also have the exclusive rights to Wing Commander, though they briefly were going to let :pgi: take a crack at it, then that fell through and became the Transpace hilarity
i've never heard of Transpace, please link me the most comprehensive and/or hilarious rundown of that saga

this post got me thinking: has there ever been a transfer or a sale of an IP from one video game company to another? i'm not counting stuff like konami taking over all of hudson soft's IPs after they went under, i'm talking about one company buying an IP from another company, like a dormant one that hasn't been used for years. i'm sure that EA and konami have a ton of stuff that they're not interested in making games (or, in konami's case, pachinko machines) about anymore

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think that people with autism interpret Sonic differently or something. This isn't even a joke, I think with the speed and memorisation and patterns and simple expressive animal people faces, it just appeals to the autistic brain

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

signalnoise posted:

At least Bubsy never tried too hard.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

At least Bubsy never tried too hard.

Well yeah I mean what could possibly go wrong?

Vakal posted:

I'm sill waiting for a new Vectorman game, personally.

Dude this is the real poo poo

Genesis had some incredible platformers and random beatemups and the IPs just fell off the face of the earth along with the developers.

Just look at this one fuckin dev https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenet_Japan

Great poo poo there

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

if the NES SMB3 had a save feature, i think more people would rank it above SMW

this is why super Mario all Stars + smw was the best cart Nintendo ever made. and it came with the system! they would not release such valuable nes games bundled like that today

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Every E3 reveal and presentation should be watched the video's audio muted and replaced with audio of crickets chirping.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They need to call up Mark Hamill and get another Wing Commander going.

Also yeah all sonic games suck. And the superfans are all terminal dweebs who universally have 3 fursonas each, so that's a bad look for the franchise on top of the lovely games.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

let's never forget this post by a bioware writer on their own forums

i thought the 'mrrrowl' one was worse, but that's just me. god drat there were a lot of embarrassing people on the da2 dev team

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

There only legitimately great Sonic game is Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The rest are memorable for music if anything but are otherwise no better than your average Double Dragon game. Classic yes, timeless no.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The stygian wormhole of existential terror and abject horror that is the Sonic fandom is the only thing redeeming everything Sonic related from 1994-2010 when Colors came out. Throwing pennies down that well gave me more enjoyment than Sonic 1, CD, and Sonic 3&K did. I actually think 2 is pretty well-designed considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

let's never forget this post by a bioware writer on their own forums

im going to kill my are am selve