Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
The world needs fewer mobas. Too many lovely ones trying to compete with LoL and Dota. HOTS is the only other good one, mostly because it does things slightly different from the others, and because Blizzard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Go RV! posted:

If you want some easy levels, be a chef. Getting max will get you 10 levels.

7 levels.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm not looking to powerlevel or anything but I will probably be a chef because that's the kind of dumb poo poo I like. Thanks for the tips!

SkullMuffinz
Jan 31, 2011

I like things that are dumb.
In terms of survivability, in my personal opinion warriors and necromancers are king because they have crazy health pools. Necromancer even has what boils down to a second health bar on top of being tied for the highest base HP. And warrior is just ridiculous and their healing signet is super dumb, in the good way, during leveling.

Honestly though, play whatever you find the most fun or interesting. Elementalist, thief, and mesmer are probably (again, in my opinion) the most fragile classes but even then, there's ways to get around this, either through gear, extra dodges or kiting/using ranged attacks.

Ultimately just have fun with the game, nothing is overly difficult throughout the leveling experience so long as your gear isn't ridiculously outdated, and even then you can be fine.

SkullMuffinz fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 23, 2017

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Necro is really fun, super strong and can solo most content. Downed state 1 heals you so it's super forgiving.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

lucifirius posted:

Necro is really fun, super strong and can solo most content. Downed state 1 heals you so it's super forgiving.

with the living story mastery, downed state 1 can rez you by itself

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Anet please lower the WvW rank requirement on this tia.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

where the red fern gropes posted:

with the living story mastery, downed state 1 can rez you by itself

Yeah I love it. Two necros almost did a lot of the Hearts and Minds challenge mode, just from being able to get rez'd through downed state 1 and Canach coming to help. We also had like 100 stacks of bleed. :smug:

Lonk posted:

Tyrael!?

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
A friend wants to try out an MMO without diving headfirst into WOW due to too many poopsock tragedies in our social circle. Figured I'd let her try this on my account that was purchased at launch, so no F2P. Will she have fun without HoT?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yes. The base game is more than worth playing through.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Luggage posted:

A friend wants to try out an MMO without diving headfirst into WOW due to too many poopsock tragedies in our social circle. Figured I'd let her try this on my account that was purchased at launch, so no F2P. Will she have fun without HoT?

Probably have more fun without HoT than with HoT.

HoT is a poopsock tragedy. Core game is not.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks. Second question: I told her to delete all my characters, so she can start on an alive server with a strong community of local language speaking folks. But I remember reading something about people not being able to join popular, i.e. full, realms. Is that true and is there a way to circumvent that?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Server only matters if you plan to do WvW pvp - for everything else it's all linked together into mega servers. Maguuma is, unfortunately, almost always full and would require waiting for it to open again if you do decide to WvW, no idea if there's a way around that.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Rynoto posted:

Server only matters if you plan to do WvW pvp - for everything else it's all linked together into mega servers. Maguuma is, unfortunately, almost always full and would require waiting for it to open again if you do decide to WvW, no idea if there's a way around that.
Only linked within a region though, so no US/EU cross play.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

And the dynamic map structure is cross-servers so if she transfers to any NA one that is open, she can join goons (god help her) and maps will still have plenty of people in them. The bank transfers stuff, so toss everything you can into it before deleting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

CLAM DOWN posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: ATTENTION STARFLEET DENTAL (and any other parties interested in joining) :siren: :siren: :siren:

This Saturday June 24th, at 2 hours before guild missions (3pm PST/6pm EST/11pm CET/7:30am AEST), we are hosting another infamous SFD guild event: THE GREAT GUILD HALL TREASURE HUNT hosted by your favourite troublesome troubadour, Tacitus!

Details can be found here: https://www.starfleetdental.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4269-the-great-guild-hall-treasure-hunt-~~-the-official-rules-thread/#comment-51914

See you all this Saturday for some insane prizes including sacks of gems, a pile of precursors, and dozens more mysteries! Grand prize is a romantic night with Great Successor Arus, all-inclusive!

Reminder that this is happening in a little under 3.5 hours!!! I've already begun receiving bribes gifts so please continue!!!!!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Good job mates, great event.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of some fairly recent videos showing/discussing the classes? It's been so long since I played I barely remember anything about any of them, and I played just long enough to get the elite specs on those characters I had so everything I look at is level 80 elite specs with a crazy amount of options to go through.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008

nessin posted:

Anyone know of some fairly recent videos showing/discussing the classes? It's been so long since I played I barely remember anything about any of them, and I played just long enough to get the elite specs on those characters I had so everything I look at is level 80 elite specs with a crazy amount of options to go through.

check this : http://qtfy.eu/builds/

and this one is not to take 100% seriously but you can sort of get a overview (cause it's not 100% up to date I believe) but it has the pvp builds too!
https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Visidan posted:

Good job mates, great event.

How'd it play out? I missed 'cause I was too busy getting high on an airplane :rip:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I could only stay for about 35 mins but most of the people willing to admit how many they found had found between 0-4, Johnny was on 8 and Arus tried to use a jump pad but broke it

it was great

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Illuyankas posted:

I could only stay for about 35 mins but most of the people willing to admit how many they found had found between 0-4, Johnny was on 8 and Arus tried to use a jump pad but broke it

it was great

That happened like 2 more times too :(((((((

But it was an awesome event, thank you SFD!!!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I found 3 and gave up, it sounded really fun if you knew how to get around the guild hall well, but I had no idea.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Thanks to this event I discovered a brand new section of the guild hall I had no idea existed. It's pretty neat.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Arus, you better make that 2nd Moot after making me get stuck with a 2nd sharkspear precursor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

UchihaHirou posted:

Arus, you better make that 2nd Moot after making me get stuck with a 2nd sharkspear precursor.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60TCwX11PVw

Just a reminder that its only another 9 months until the best time of the year.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Erdricks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60TCwX11PVw

Just a reminder that its only another 9 months until the best time of the year.

does anyone still have the edit of Rytlock messing with the table but it's ESPORTS instead

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

frajaq posted:

does anyone still have the edit of Rytlock messing with the table but it's ESPORTS instead

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rytlock+esports

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

for that to work, it would have to show up with somewhat obviousness.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

frajaq posted:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Ahhh the good ole Colin days. No content and updates, just promises and a smile

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Visidan posted:

Ahhh the good ole Colin days. No content and updates, just promises and a smile

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Did guild wars ever improve from that point or was that the high point? I quit around the time that the 8 bit cube thing went away

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Go RV! posted:

If you want some easy levels, be a chef. Getting max will get you 10 levels.

Levleing a crafting profession to max nets you 7 levels; you will get 11 levels if you have an xp booster on.
Also, leveling cooking requires a guide because all the recipes are very obtuse and also requires having done a lot of exploration and unlocked a bunch of karma vendors so you can buy some of the untradeable items needed for the best recipes.
It is technically the cheapest crafting to level but requires a lot of work.

Protip: use a boster for character xp and a booster for crafting xp and you will need far less resources/money to level a crafting profession AND you will get more levels out of it.

For crafting level up guides use the guides located here, they are far more efficient and up to date than the guides that will appear at the top of google searches.

Erdricks posted:

Probably have more fun without HoT than with HoT.

HoT is a poopsock tragedy. Core game is not.

This is the weirdest case of "everything was better when i was young" i have seen in any MMO. I am starting to think it is a meme.
HoT is amazingly fun with huge sprawling maps with lots of stuff to do and secrets to find and you are really rewarded for exploring. The vanilla maps are all flat as a pancake and really loving boring. HoT is literally the only reason i fell in love with this game.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 26, 2017

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I guess it depends on when you played HoT zones, at launch or 6 months later when they were fixed.

Still, I like the 5 new zones in LS2 more than the HoT, LS1 or vanilla zones.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Yeah as someone who didn't really bother to get back into the game around HoT's release because it seemed like people were down on it at the time, I've found I like the game a lot more with Heart of Thorns. I regret not jumping in at launch. It certainly is far more grind-heavy due to the required masteries to fully explore each map, but every map is more fun to explore and do the meta event than any base game map. If there's one thing to be said about the base game, it's that it's a large amount of content that is consistently dull across the board.

But of course I've just been playing the past month or two, so I have no idea how much better any of the game is now in contrast to how it was before.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
One of the owners of anet took over from colin in march last year, the game improved greatly since

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lonk posted:

Blizzard is gonna sue somebody.

Johnny Joestar posted:

in my unprofessional opinion i get the feeling that it's not going to fare too well, because ncsoft doesn't really have a 'recognizable' stable of characters beyond a couple of vague exceptions

Statesman and the CoH characters probably count. But that's a double edged sword at best. Seeing them is probably likely to send people into rage inducing flashbacks.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Did guild wars ever improve from that point or was that the high point? I quit around the time that the 8 bit cube thing went away

SAB is doo doo so every passing day since its removal is a new high point.

• Locked thread