Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Why is it useless? And how long until CC is available on consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Panfilo posted:

Every set has one trinket that has maluses, and one that doesn't.

Pretty sure the Arbalest trinkets don't have a downside.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh man maa and crusader swapping is really good, it even punts more guys into the killzone

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Bizarrely, the Shrieker is scaled down to your level despite what the quest says. You don't even need to kill it, just stay in the fight long enough to scare it off. I don't even think you get anything from killing it. The nest, however, drops piles of trapezohedrons.

I oughtta pound you.

buuut, this happened:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's worth because I said so in chat

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What I really enjoy about the new trinkets is how they give insight to the heroes backstories.

Man at Arms has awards he doesn't even care about any more. Houndmaster has his old badge and the evidence that brought in his corrupt superior. Leper has the things he left behind because he figured this quest would be his last. Arbalest has the few memories of her father. Plague Doctor has her research. Hellion has fetishes and warpaint indicating she was exiled from her tribe. Antiquarian has the artifacts she's obsessed with obtaining. Grave Robber has memorabilia from her past life. Flagellant has reminders of his own mortality and frailty. Occultist carries the links to the pact he made long ago. And in particular, Dismas has reminders of his errors, and Reynauld reminders he needs to keep looking forward.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I oughtta pound you.

buuut, this happened:

This used to be true, I swear :(

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Panfilo posted:

What I really enjoy about the new trinkets is how they give insight to the heroes backstories.

Man at Arms has awards he doesn't even care about any more. Houndmaster has his old badge and the evidence that brought in his corrupt superior. Leper has the things he left behind because he figured this quest would be his last. Arbalest has the few memories of her father. Plague Doctor has her research. Hellion has fetishes and warpaint indicating she was exiled from her tribe. Antiquarian has the artifacts she's obsessed with obtaining. Grave Robber has memorabilia from her past life. Flagellant has reminders of his own mortality and frailty. Occultist carries the links to the pact he made long ago. And in particular, Dismas has reminders of his errors, and Reynauld reminders he needs to keep looking forward.

I really hope Red Hook makes comics detailing some of these stories that they havent done yet. I'm super intrigued as to why exactly the Hellion was exiled, and why the Houndmaster turned to a mercenary life after busting his former Chief of Command.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Highwang posted:

I really hope Red Hook makes comics detailing some of these stories that they havent done yet. I'm super intrigued as to why exactly the Hellion was exiled, and why the Houndmaster turned to a mercenary life after busting his former Chief of Command.

:byodood: THE CHIEF WAS IN ON IT THE WHOLE TIME! *DOINK DOINK*
*Law and Order Theme plays*

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I killed the apprentice had in two turns with GR OCC MAA MAA

??!?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is the voiceover for the Collector new?

Somethingsomething piled high, and cloaked in
*2 rounds of BAM POW BIFF ZOW*
"A predator is often blind to its own peril"

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Welp it turns out that overconfidence really is a slow and insidious killer.

Just full wiped to the Baron. I had an awesome comp for CC2 -- Vestal w/Julia's head for the heals, Houndmaster for the stress heals, Dismas for the deeps, and flagellant because he was made for that place -- and through abusing HM and curio stress heals I was sustaining pretty well. Then I started getting kind of cocky when I ran out of food and decided to brute force pass a couple hunger checks. Eventually my team was on the brink of affliction and I finally made my way to the boss. Since I am trying to go unspoiled I decided to peek in and see what he was like. While my party held my own through it eventually the stress piled up to where I was right before heart attack with my guys and the boss was on the final act. Seeing no way I could heal my bleeding vestal off of deaths door I decided to cut my losses and I escaped.

Bad idea, as you could guess. Stress damage from the escape chain heart attacked my dudes to a bitter end.

I'm also playing on bloodmoon so that was a serious blow -- figuring I was full up on loot and had my best trinkets on the guys. I'm sure I can come back but it just made things a lot more interesting.

I'm also glad I've grown as a gamer to not abandon the save after that or run onto the forums to whine about how big of a loving cuck the Baron is.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

They added a few collector lines i think

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Eh, the balance on the trinkets seem really off. Some of them have downsides while giving moderate benefits while others are extremely powerful with no negatives. It doesn't seem right.

Generally I think they did a pretty good job. They're crazy go nuts powerful on paper but many of them have awful synergies--not only do they tend to focus on "off" roles, most of the sets don't really mesh together and in some cases have outright contradictory bonused (e.g. abomination has a trinket that powers up his human attacks, but the set bonus is a damage bonus for row 1--where he can't attack in human form!)

So the trinket sets make for a lot of really well rounded characters, but not necessarily more effective than a specialized character. And while you can min/max by pairing one of the trinkets with a non-set trinket that has more relevant bonuses, in a lot of cases this is only really useful for optimizing less optimal builds, e.g. melee plague doc or ranged bounty hunter.

That said, there are a few that kind of slipped through the cracks like the GR letter opener--like, yeah, a lot of people prefer the GR as a mixed/ranged character, but it's not as though a melee centric GR build is so bad it needs that kind of boost.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Straight White Shark posted:

Generally I think they did a pretty good job. They're crazy go nuts powerful on paper but many of them have awful synergies--not only do they tend to focus on "off" roles, most of the sets don't really mesh together and in some cases have outright contradictory bonused (e.g. abomination has a trinket that powers up his human attacks, but the set bonus is a damage bonus for row 1--where he can't attack in human form!)

So the trinket sets make for a lot of really well rounded characters, but not necessarily more effective than a specialized character. And while you can min/max by pairing one of the trinkets with a non-set trinket that has more relevant bonuses, in a lot of cases this is only really useful for optimizing less optimal builds, e.g. melee plague doc or ranged bounty hunter.

That said, there are a few that kind of slipped through the cracks like the GR letter opener--like, yeah, a lot of people prefer the GR as a mixed/ranged character, but it's not as though a melee centric GR build is so bad it needs that kind of boost.

Honestly though I would never use her melee abilities unless I absolutely had to and at least the letter opener makes them relevant. And testing it extensively it isn't really all that overpowered. Thrown Dagger still has the benefit of givving an ACC buff and bonus vs marked.

Not all of them have awful synergies either- the Occultist's for example is excellent for a 2nd position dark run, where you can do very high crit stabs or stuns or alternatively debuff targets.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Intimidate and weakening curse together is some poo poo

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, has anyone encountered enemies of the Stonework type yet? I've got a trinket that has a damage boost against them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hannibal Rex posted:

So, has anyone encountered enemies of the Stonework type yet? I've got a trinket that has a damage boost against them.

I was wondering about this too. I guess it has to come up later in the CC and I don't wanna be spoiled about that. I can't imagine what it would possibly be though.

Also garogyles should totally count for that but they don't.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a mod that pops up a little window or warning like "Hey, are you sure you don't want to pack any shovels?" or "None of your heroes have trinkets equipped"? I don't care if it looks like loving clippy I'm just so sick of shooting myself in the foot like this

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

There's a miniboss in a courtyard level that's Stonework. I haven't fought it yet, so I don't know if it's so terrible that you need a specific item to kill it.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Bought Crimson Court and played this game for the first time in a year probably. Tried the Courtyard as soon as it popped up, but got wrecked on some spiders (!) of all things. Is there any reason to wait, or should I just continue with the Courtyard again?

Also is there something similar to https://arnaud.rocks/darkest-companion/ that is updated for the DLC? Lastly, and big changes in the DLC I should be aware of?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Highly recommend watching Moonmoon's DD stream from tonight if you want to see a man shoot himself in the foot repeatedly.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Just sent Cream of Plenty and Yvershek out on their first mission, CoP came back with kleptomania. To the sanitarium with ye!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

What's the point of the flagellant camping ability that gives himself +40 stress?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

to go Rapturoud

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When the Flagellant is Rapturous, he gets +25% damage and +3 speed. Sometimes it's worth triggering this on purpose.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
So does the flagellant only go rapturous? Also, what bonuses to they get when they're on death' door? I don't think I've had one of mine get to that point yet.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I did some tweaking of DD before mod support came in, checking the integrity of the files should 100% clear that stuff up yeah?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
probably, unless you added some files (which you would have done if you wanted to, say, modify hero abilities for stygian but not for normal or radiant). if that's the case then reinstalling would be better

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
ive never played this game what should i think about

Makaris
May 4, 2009

dangerdoom volvo posted:

You should think about getting it???

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Is there a mod that pops up a little window or warning like "Hey, are you sure you don't want to pack any shovels?" or "None of your heroes have trinkets equipped"? I don't care if it looks like loving clippy I'm just so sick of shooting myself in the foot like this

It's in the game; you might have it turned off under "options." It wouldn't start showing up until a few weeks in, but it's there - at least for trinkets. Not sure about provisions, because "no provisions suicide runs" are a thing people do when they are broke. ALthough, the economy seems adjusted as well, so I don't know why people would do that anymore.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What's the point of the flagellant camping ability that gives himself +40 stress?

poo poo I was just wondering this myself last night. It seemed really stupid until the first reply to your post made it click. It seems a bit like some dangerous brinksmanship, though.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

This used to be true, I swear :(

Actually I seem to remember that as well. But still, I'll gladly trade a throwaway Vestal and Arbalest at level 2 to get Corvid's Eye on a leper any day.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I have the corvid quest too with maybe 6 lv3s. There's no way I'm throwing Reynald or Dismas into the maw. I think I'll just eat the trinket loss because all of them were poo poo anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the earliest it's worth trying crimson court quests? Starting up a new campaign, got offered one week 3, wondering if I should avoid it or jump in.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

poo poo I was just wondering this myself last night. It seemed really stupid until the first reply to your post made it click. It seems a bit like some dangerous brinksmanship, though.

Yeah, despite the buffs Rapturous still has annoying and dangerous act-outs like other afflictions. Getting a flagellant to 100 stress is theoretically less risky than other characters because it's less crippling than most afflictions, but not so much that it's something you want to do on purpose.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the earliest it's worth trying crimson court quests? Starting up a new campaign, got offered one week 3, wondering if I should avoid it or jump in.

It's an rear end in a top hat and doesn't tell you this, but it's a boss fight (and not one of the easy ones.) You probably want to wait until you're starting to knock out apprentice bosses.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Killed the croc with level 0s but was then to beat up to continue. Probably don't do this?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dangerdoom volvo posted:

You should ponder the cruel jest that is life, and the profound irony of striving for success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Maybe it's just me, but all of the new trinkets seem to have the same glaring flaw that makes them nearly unusable as a set: neither of the trinkets within a set have a +Accuracy bonus.

I don't really see the purpose of +35% Bleed Chance if you're going to be whiffing four times as much as if you had even a single trinket providing a decent +Accuracy bonus. Same thing for the Occultist's trinket set, especially since enemies will be even harder to hit because the bonuses require lower light to even activate. The Vestal's set is so hilariously bad I don't even know where to begin, and, again, the +Stun chance is almost entirely negated by not having any +Accuracy. The +25% Melee Damage bonus and +25% Healing bonus from the two items within the set is profoundly worse than the Profane Scroll, which allows for a second trinket to shore up any weaknesses. On top of that, the -2 Speed penalty from one of the Vestal's set trinkets is just cruel.

I don't know why Red Hook seems to struggle so much with trinket balance. I understand that not every trinket is supposed to be exactly as useful as any other, but if you're going to use rarity as a balancing factor, then it feels like the trinket that there's only one of in the game and must be used in tandem with another one-of-a-kind trinket to unlock their full potential, both of which can only be found in a exceptionally difficult dungeon, then they ought to be better than a single blue rarity trinket that you can buy in the Hamlet. Am I off-base here?