Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xaris posted:

i loving love HK and it's easily my indie goty, butI don't think Dark Souls has any real weight in that comparison and gets thrown around WAY too much. Other than corpse runs which are the worst part of the game.

also yes the correct answer is buy a used PS4 and get Bloodborne. it is so loving good

I disagree, mostly due to the feel of combat - swings come too slowly to be spammed, and there's far more timing and dodging than you'd expect from these games, imho. Which makes it more Dark Souls-y - along with the corpse runs and the tone of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I disagree, mostly due to the feel of combat - swings come too slowly to be spammed, and there's far more timing and dodging than you'd expect from these games, imho. Which makes it more Dark Souls-y - along with the corpse runs and the tone of the game.

That's interesting, it just looks cutesy in screenshots - is there a tonal shift in the game?

Thanks for all the recs everybody!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I honestly don't consider Dead Cells to be much like souls at all, short of the fact that you have a currency that you lose if you don't make it to a checkpoint. Even then, it's not like you can get it back once you die.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Dial A For Awesome posted:

OK goons, am eyeing up the following games and would welcome any advice/views on the following:

Prey: I've seen the comments earlier in this thread. One extra question: is this scary? I'm a total wuss and can't really cope with horror games.

Hello fellow wuss! I managed Prey by having the big jump scares spoiled to me by the Prey thread, but if your tolerance for creepy and tension is low, skip it.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Bought Steins;Gate and 20XX. Steins;Gate is never on sale and for 40% off I can't pass that up.

I wasn't interested in 20XX until I saw someone play it. I played it and it is so good. It's Early Access but, it's almost done. If you want play a Megaman X rougelike, I highly recommend it.

I was also thinking of buying SFV deluxe, but I'm really on the fence about it. It looks like fun, but also too pricey. I have to buy seasons passes to flesh the game out and that's not something I'm excited about.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

loopsheloop posted:

That's interesting, it just looks cutesy in screenshots - is there a tonal shift in the game?

Thanks for all the recs everybody!

Yes and no. The game has its cute style, but the game isn't really cute? You're a mute bug exploring an abandoned, empty village (except for one person) and descending into this ruined insect kingdom - the enemies are bugs gone mad and essentially hollow, and you can find NPCs who are lost in dreams/mad/looking for adventure, knowing they might die - and the music is pretty somber. The fast-travel system reminisces for when the kingdom actually had people in it, and there's something darker below.

I've only just entered the second area, but I mean, it's a grim little setting with moments of charm. Very, VERY similar to how it felt to talk to the shopkeepers in Dark Souls 1 and wander around the... I am forgetting the kingdom, but it's where you fight the Ornstein and Smough. That whole area. Ruined grandeur, with places that are worse / better.

Honestly the happiest part of the game is the cheerful map-maker and how excited he is to explore this place, while his wife runs the shop up above. Which means I'm worried about what trouble his adventures will get him into... :ohdear: (Don't turn out like onion-head man, bug!)

e: Also, to be blunt, it also isn't Dark Souls. I couldn't be happier with how it's fused Metroid / Dark Souls / Bugs into its own little slice of really good exploration.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on 35MM? I like the atmosphere, and I'm up for a decent walking simulator, but some of the reviews seem a little mixed.

It's pretty far from a decent walking simulator - super bland, unfinished-feeling and doesn't look even half as good as the store page screenshots. I'd recommend checking out Miasmata or The Long Dark instead, though both those games are more crafting/exploration-based there's a lot of atmosphere there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How good is Firewatch?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I bought Hollow Knight for a bit, but then I noticed I was getting really nasty input lag which hosed up my platforming and sword swinging. Nice atmosphere tho.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Too Shy Guy posted:

I... okay, gonna be honest, this is coming out of left field for me. I didn't think Charlie was dumb at all, and instead seemed to pick up on stuff faster than most adventure protagonists. And Latha's an unemployed orphan, I didn't expect her to be super well-adjusted and even then I didn't find her annoying. I suppose there are dialogue options where they over-explain things for the player's benefit but you don't even have to pick those if you don't want to rehash stuff or give other characters a hard time.

From that perspective I guess they're not going to get any better, but since I don't see any problem I'm the wrong person to

You see, I found Latha endearing, I knew she was meant to be a goonish outcast and puzzling my way out of places by vandalizing stuff was great fun, but when it csme to Charlie, which was supposed to be the no-nonsense man destroying crime scenes and contrived motivations(I mean, REALLY? He's way too obsessed to be believable) put me right out of the mood. :(

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Tenzarin posted:

How good is Firewatch?

There are worse ways to spend an afternoon.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Tenzarin posted:

How good is Firewatch?

Sub-5-bucks good.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!
Has gifting across regions been removed as well?

Because I'm looking to get an uncensored version of the Wolfenstein games.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

bumblingbee posted:

Oh yeah. Same deal, except - any version of Wolfenstein Old Blood / 2. Apparently someone in... steam region censorship management... or whatever, is under the impression that Israel frowns upon killing nazis.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I really want to get Miscreated & Northgate, but early access titles worry me quite a bit ever since I bought Conan Exiles (my own drat fault I know).

Can anyone recommend me a recently released racing game? I grew up with Gran Turismo, so having access to a lot of cars, beautiful graphics, and vehicle body's that can be damaged are some things I'd really appreciate.

BeamNG.drive looks flat out cool as hell, and it having a relatively open world combined with awesome damage physics is right up my alley, but it's an early access title from 2015... I feel like it should be in beta you know? Plus there's nothing else to it, no racing, no nothing. Are the maps actually big?

Also, what's the verbal consensus on Euro Truck Simulator? Can vehicles be damaged in it?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah. Same deal, except - any version of Wolfenstein Old Blood / 2. Apparently someone in... steam region censorship management... or whatever, is under the impression that Israel frowns upon killing nazis.

It may have been a government ban, I think, looking over some papers over the concentration camp segment.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pastry Mistakes posted:

I really want to get Miscreated & Northgate, but early access titles worry me quite a bit ever since I bought Conan Exiles (my own drat fault I know).

Can anyone recommend me a recently released racing game? I grew up with Gran Turismo, so having access to a lot of cars, beautiful graphics, and vehicle body's that can be damaged are some things I'd really appreciate.

BeamNG.drive looks flat out cool as hell, and it having a relatively open world combined with awesome damage physics is right up my alley, but it's an early access title from 2015... I feel like it should be in beta you know? Plus there's nothing else to it, no racing, no nothing. Are the maps actually big?

Also, what's the verbal consensus on Euro Truck Simulator? Can vehicles be damaged in it?

Euro Truck Sim 2 has damage, but it's not really displayed and mostly causes your engine to fail/turn off. There's no...real creative damage at all. And if you hit a train at full speed you just stop and get like 40% damage at the invisible wall.

I mean the game is great but do not get it if you want to race / damage your car / etc.

Instead, get Burnout Paradise. THAT has good damage. :getin:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pastry Mistakes posted:

If you want to know what BeamNG looks/plays like, you need to watch the YouTube series Car Boys. Made by the same guys as the Monster Factory series, there's like 40+ episodes of them loving around in the game. I'd actually recommend it to anyone just to watch--it's hilarious.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

I'd give Ark a try. I dunno why it has a lot of negative reviews as I haven't played it in about 2 years

The devs keep making really boneheaded decisions like:
-selling an expansion for a game still in early access
-adding things that keep making the already terrible performance worse
-and, dumbest of all, letting clans bring resources from server to server meaning certain clans now dominate all PvP enabled official servers

Its another great concept killed by poor management decisions but it keeps selling so they won't stop

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 24, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

i loving love HK and it's easily my indie goty, butI don't think Dark Souls has any real weight in that comparison and gets thrown around WAY too much. Other than corpse runs which are the worst part of the game.

There's that, but also the way you have to hunt for "bonfires" as you explore. It definitely reminded me of Dark Souls for the first few hours. As you get stronger and you gain more mobility and fast travel options that comparison falls apart, though.

(that said the worst part of the game is backtracking)

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

loopsheloop posted:

Can I get recs for Darks Souls-y games? I like the pace of combat, the freedom of the RPG system, and the variety in weapon styles. Thanks!

Personally I liked Lords of the Fallen. It has issues and clearly didn't have the budget to be as grand as a souls game, but for what it was i found it fun.

The other obvious example would be the surge (I haven't played). Same developer.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

Xander77 posted:

So an American can't gift the American version to a European anymore? If so then that's hosed up.

Edit: On another note, is Elite Dangerous any good? I played a lot of X3 back in the day, and quite liked that.

bumblingbee fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 24, 2017

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

strategery posted:

Personally I liked Lords of the Fallen. It has issues and clearly didn't have the budget to be as grand as a souls game, but for what it was i found it fun.

The other obvious example would be the surge (I haven't played). Same developer.

I liked the Surge a lot better than Lords of the Fallen, but I would agree with this. I think the Deck13 games are the closest things to Dark Souls out there.

In general though make sure you've played through Demon's souls / Dark Souls 1-3 (I don't really like 2, but it's OK) and Bloodborne (Probably my favorite of these games). Anything not made by From Software so far hasn't really captured the same magic. I heard some good things about Salt & Sanctuary, but I couldn't really get into it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mokinokaro posted:

The devs keep making really boneheaded decisions like:
-selling an expansion for a game still in early access
-adding things that keep making the already terrible performance worse
-and, dumbest of all, letting clans bring resources from server to server meaning certain clans now dominate all PvP enabled official servers

Its another great concept killed by poor management decisions but it keeps selling so they won't stop

If it keeps selling the decisions aren't poor.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
If you don't already own Scrap Mechanic then you should.

Its basically a sandbox builder game. It's mainly for vehicles since there is no survival mode (yet). The mod community is decent and you can share builds in the workshop.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
How well do these games play with mouse and keyboard:

NieR: Automata
Watch_Dogs 2
Steep

If they need a controller, I'd rather just play them on console.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

PantsBandit posted:

Necropolis is a coop game with clear Souls inspiration. It's content light, so I recommend it with caveats though.

Per steam reviews it seems to also be abandoned. Not that it isn't don't but left with issues.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How is Redout if I'm looking for something to hit that F-Zero GX niche?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Invader Zym posted:

How well do these games play with mouse and keyboard:

NieR: Automata
Watch_Dogs 2
Steep

If they need a controller, I'd rather just play them on console.

Nier plays much better with a game pad.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I really want to check out Everspace 'cause it looks cool, but it's only 20% OFF. Is it worth risking it now or should I wait until it goes lower?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

BexGu posted:

How is Redout if I'm looking for something to hit that F-Zero GX niche?

I'd like to know which one is better - Redout or Formula Fusion?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hey to those who recommended, Prey, thank you! Played around 2 hours last night and it was incredible. If you like System Shock 2 you'll really enjoy it. Plus it'll make you afraid of random household objects! Definitely recommended.

edit: One thing I really like is there aren't any achievements tied to difficulty. So if you start on Hard like me and get frustrated you can switch to Normal without any penalty.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 24, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Grapplejack posted:

It may have been a government ban, I think, looking over some papers over the concentration camp segment.
As far as I can tell, our government is not particularly aware of the very concept of video games, much less of the need or ability to censor them. Physical copies of Wolfenstein were available in stores, and I assume the same will be true for Wolfenstein 2. It's just...

Someone (and it annoys me that I've asked the question repeatedly, yet no one actually knows who or how or why) - some person or group of persons on steam who decide "yeah, nah", and have no need to explain nor justify their decision, much less provide an avenue for appeal.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

WMain00 posted:

I'd like to know which one is better - Redout or Formula Fusion?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/473770/BallisticNG/

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've heard very mixed things about Dawn of War 3, but a lot of it seemed to be about it being the wrong kind of game or something. If I just want some more 40k explosions and aren't too worried about RTS genre purity, is it any good at all?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Gonna mention a few gems that haven't come up yet. Other people here are better at long reviews, so I'll keep these short.

Nova-111, $2 and change: A neat and cutely stylish half turn-based, half real time strategy puzzle thing. Really. I haven't played this one yet because I am a Steam goon (heavenly father gaben gaze favorably upon my backlog amen), but this video gives a nice overview and convinced me to pick it up.

CrossCode, $17: Not heavily discounted and it's been around for a while, but CC reminds me somewhat of Hyper Light Drifter's puzzle/environmental interaction aspects mixed with Konjak's attention to detail in something like The Iconoclasts, wrapped up in a pseudofuture-SNES aesthetic. It's definitely neither of those games, don't get me wrong, but there's a neat top-down RPG in the works here. Updated consistently and has a demo. Don't want this one to fall out of dev like a bunch of other potentially great titles have.

Kero Blaster, $6: A no-frills platformer/run & gun that brings to mind id's early stuff, but tightly focused and created by Studio Pixel of Cave Story fame. Captivating in its simplicity, wonderfully paced and brimming with style with just enough edge to be strange, in the absolutely best way possible. Not something I would have picked up at first blush, and it was a gift, but it handles well and is a joy to experience.

Runners up:

Unity of Command, $3: Older but fantastic intro to hex-based wargames
Tharsis, $5: think FTL: The Boardgame, or Space Alert: Digital Edition
Magicians & Looters, under $2: Worthwhile multi-character/humorous Castlevania-like, questionable art direction, solid game otherwise

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is the optimum time to sell foil sale cards? I got one and it goes for 30 cents. Am I good to sell now or should I wait until the end of the sale?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

This year, I will pretty much only buy games and play them immediately. :feelsgood:
Seriously, try it.

Kicked the sale off with The Turing Test.
While it's certainly no Portal/Portal 2, it has some nice brain teasers with varying mechanics. Steam clocked me at 5 hours, which is fine for EUR 8.00 I paid.
Epilogue spoiler: I was totally on TOMs side. Earth/Humanity is not ready for a fountain of youth.

Next up: DooM.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Oxenfree: Someone recommended this as an emotional, story based game after I raved about Life Is Strange.

I enjoyed it, it's kind of a 2D walking simulator with a few puzzles thrown in.
Very dialogue heavy, but the writing and voice acting felt well above average.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

[Ori]
I thought I read that they fixed the most egregious issues with those sequences in Ori. Have I got that wrong, cause that's one I've had my eye on too?

The first escape sequence one was the most infuriating for me, because it went on a tad too long and required some bullshit manouevres at the end.
I was burned out (ha!) during the fire level (around 85% completion, I would guess), because difficulty seemed to spike at this point again. All in all I'd recommend it still, it's beautiful, and, aside some spots, finds a nice balance between being challenging, but fair.

bumblingbee posted:

[Wolfenstein cross region gifts]

Some of them used to be geo-locked for certain regions, so be careful there. For instance, you will only be able to unlock and play the german dialogue/censored version in Germany. A gifted US copy will not run (please correct me if this has changed, because I would like to get the US version for TNO and OB...

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 24, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Are there any good other games where you play as a giant monster wrecking stuff? Basically I want Kaiju-A-GoGo, but not poo poo. Posting my steam review of Kaiju since it's easier than re-writing why it's poo poo:

quote:

Actually smashing cities with a giant monster is pretty fun. What is less fun, however, is trying to figure out how the game works and struggling with the UI.

Want to build a wall in your base? Have fun placing and confirming each segment, then as it finishes enjoy getting a popup that you must click away and which resets the gamespeed to default. You'll need dozens if not hundreds of wall sections to enclose your base, by the way.

Unlock new abilities! How do they actually work? What's the base value of the thing it'll add 10% to? How does detection work and is -10 to it a noticeable change? Who knows?

Sadly I have also had some random crashes, and my joy at getting the top-level city smashing abilities was tempered by how using them slows the game to a grinding crawl or directly causes crashes.

[semi]Finally - The game seems to constantly tell you the goal is to conquer cities. This is a filthy lie. For much of the game you need to avoid conquering things so you can repeatedly attack them for resources. What seems like early game success actually sets you up for failure.

Actually finally: Editing this because the game crashes basically every city now. It seems to be when you explode too many things at once the game crashes, which is a drat shame when the entire point of the game is to upgrade your giant monster into the ultimate thing-exploder. Of course, you can't save the game while attacking cities so every time it crashes you have to start over. And over. And Over. And...quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Why even bother to pretend to be F2P when you have $180 packs of garbage?

• Locked thread