Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's wrong with the built in Night Shift thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Derp. Thanks guys! I'm totally new to this shiny box, found that built in setting!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

BoyBlunder posted:

KyPass is really good too.

I used the old kypass and finally upgraded to the newer one after finding out 1Password was stopping any standalone client development, and it suits my needs pretty well, especially considering I used keepass a bunch before. Just going back to keepass and cloud syncing because that works great, is pretty secure, and is free anyway.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Wait, so if I bought 1Password a long time ago, before all this monthly bullshit, like I paid 40 or 60 dollars or something, they aren't supporting me anymore?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I would imagine that they would still push out critical security updates, warn us about security breaches (heartbleed, etc), answer emails, for their old customers. It's just that we won't get new cool features like the travel mode feature they just put in and probably won't ever get access to the web version for when we can't use the app.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

GoldfishStew posted:

Wait, so if I bought 1Password a long time ago, before all this monthly bullshit, like I paid 40 or 60 dollars or something, they aren't supporting me anymore?

Expect nothing. They are burning the poo poo out of Windows users, and I think it's only a matter of time before Mac, iOS and Android users get forced to use 1Password.com for their password needs.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I have a peeve with Apple Music. If i add an album to my Apple Music which is on pre-release, when the album actually comes out, no it only would i appreciate a notification (like when i would purchase pre-orders through iTunes) it doesn't add the previously grey'd out songs. I have to delete that's album, find it again, and add it again. Annoying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GoldfishStew posted:

I have a peeve with Apple Music. If i add an album to my Apple Music which is on pre-release, when the album actually comes out, no it only would i appreciate a notification (like when i would purchase pre-orders through iTunes) it doesn't add the previously grey'd out songs. I have to delete that's album, find it again, and add it again. Annoying.

I just encountered that too, it would fail downloading the other songs until I removed it and re-added. (Lorde's Melodrama)

We should both file reports on that, is there anything in the app that makes this easy or would it be a general purpose apple bug report I wonder.

My only other beef with apple music is streaming on a pc/mac requires itunes, barrrrrf. I miss the google play web player.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

GoldfishStew posted:

More or less. Go bitch on their forums about it - you'll get a canned reply insisting they're going to keep support the non-subscription version but it's been almost a year with no movement on that. But hey, if people keep complaining maybe they'll get off their butts.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I think if you made a 1 time payment for an app, you should expect to get the app, bug fixes for existing features, and nothing else. Additional stuff is just gravy. Support is not exactly free which is why security-related products that need constant updates should be subscription model.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

MeruFM posted:

I think if you made a 1 time payment for an app, you should expect to get the app, bug fixes for existing features, and nothing else. Additional stuff is just gravy. Support is not exactly free which is why security-related products that need constant updates should be subscription model.

It's not really clear that it needs constant updates though. Case in point: the Windows version had Dropbox sync stripped from it a couple months ago. Agile its said it was because Dropbox was switching to a new API that was incompatible with 1Password.

But if you run the versions of 1Password from before Dropbox sync was removed, they still function perfectly fine with Dropbox.

So they removed an important feature, blamed a third party for it, and are now clear in their mission of never supporting Dropbox sync again, but you can subscribe to use their cloud for sync, instead!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

bobfather posted:

It's not really clear that it needs constant updates though. Case in point: the Windows version had Dropbox sync stripped from it a couple months ago. Agile its said it was because Dropbox was switching to a new API that was incompatible with 1Password.

But if you run the versions of 1Password from before Dropbox sync was removed, they still function perfectly fine with Dropbox.

So they removed an important feature, blamed a third party for it, and are now clear in their mission of never supporting Dropbox sync again, but you can subscribe to use their cloud for sync, instead!

The Dropbox v1 API is shutting down like, next week. It's an actual thing.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

priznat posted:

I just encountered that too, it would fail downloading the other songs until I removed it and re-added. (Lorde's Melodrama)

We should both file reports on that, is there anything in the app that makes this easy or would it be a general purpose apple bug report I wonder.

My only other beef with apple music is streaming on a pc/mac requires itunes, barrrrrf. I miss the google play web player.

I will do it just let me know how.

Emailed one pass, too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MeruFM posted:

poo poo. nvm.

I will say I've been using 1Password for a long time, and I've never paid for an update/upgrade from v3 onwards. It just keeps working and AgileBits keeps letting my upgrade with each version change. Both are running the latest version of the 6.x code.

I bought the paid version in the Mac App Store when it 1st showed up back in v3. I also bought the in-app "pro unlock" for the iOS version when it was a thing. I still keep trucking using my iCloud Keychain to store my 1Password Vault.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 24, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

skull mask mcgee posted:

The Dropbox v1 API is shutting down like, next week. It's an actual thing.

September, I think. But I'm not sure whether 1Pass v6 for Windows uses v1 or not. Agile didn't say it did, or not. But they used it as an excuse to tear out Dropbox (and local vault) support entirely.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

bobfather posted:

September, I think. But I'm not sure whether 1Pass v6 for Windows uses v1 or not. Agile didn't say it did, or not. But they used it as an excuse to tear out Dropbox (and local vault) support entirely.

They extended it from June 28th to September 28th literally yesterday. That one's not on 1password (although they've had a year to update to the new API, which is on them).

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bobfather posted:

I thought you could still point to a local vault, because that's how I've used it with my Dropbox folder forever. I think the only time I use it specifically with the API sync is on iOS and Android devices where there isn't a conveniently exposed file system.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

I thought you could still point to a local vault, because that's how I've used it with my Dropbox folder forever. I think the only time I use it specifically with the API sync is on iOS and Android devices where there isn't a conveniently exposed file system.

Local Vault access on 1Pass for Windows has been dead for like 6 weeks. On new versions you'll be incessantly nagged to subscribe to a 1Password.com account.

When asked "why" the Agilebits team stammered a bit and doubled down on the "data security is best when your data are only on our servers" answer.

Great huh!

Edit: just to be clear, if you have local vault working on 1Pass 6, never update your software, and never try to remove that vault.

I also made an effort post on how to get back Dropbox and Local Vault sync here

Edit2: I like to check the agile bits forums every once in a while to see if they've come to their senses yet, but I now see that they are recommending that users who want to use Dropbox and Local Sync download and stay on version 6.3 of 1Pass for Windows. From a security standpoint, I find this hilarious for a few reasons, but this thread and a few others on the first page of that forum more or less indicate that the plan going forward, probably for all versions of 1Password will be to drop support for everything but subscriptions to 1Password.com

bobfather fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 25, 2017

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Just use 1P 4 if you're on Windows. It's dated but it works without issue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

And still gets updates.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Blinkz0rz posted:

I sync multiple vaults, so v4 just isn't sufficient.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I got 1Password because my laptop is a mac, and the keepass client for mac was super dogshit that required weird components to be installed that didn't work.

Now, there's keepassx for mac as well as kypass, and hell, i liked keepass more than 1password anyway because it was just more flexible to deal with; 1password wants you to use one of their predefined data types and won't let you make custom ones, which made zero sense.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I bought a new iPhone 7 and used my iCloud backup to add all of my apps and settings (backed up from my iPhone 6). But for some reason 6 apps didn't get restored, and when I looked them up in the app store it says I haven't purchased them? Even one free metronome app wasn't installed. For the record the apps that are now saying I haven't paid for them are NBA Jam, Icewind Dale, X-Men, Dark Quest and Rain Pro.

Any idea what the issue is? The only pattern I can see is that apps I purchased recently WERE restored. So why weren't the others restored? Is it because I'm on holiday in a different region? Is it because I still have them installed on my old iPhone? I really don't want to delete them from my old phone in case I need proof of purchase.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it's because those apps have been pulled from the app store, completely.

It happens for a number of reasons. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about it after iOS 11 drops and no one will be able to re-download their 32-bit apps to their new iPhones in the fall.

Now, if you had a local (encrypted?) backup in iTunes, it could've restored your missing apps from the local copies in iTunes. But iCloud just keeps a list of all your installed apps and when you restore, asks the App Store to re-download them. If the App Store doesn't have them anymore, you're out of luck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Icewind Dale, at least, is still there, so I don't think it was that it was removed.

It sounds like you maybe purchased them on another account somehow?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Sounds like it's because those apps have been pulled from the app store, completely.

It happens for a number of reasons. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about it after iOS 11 drops and no one will be able to re-download their 32-bit apps to their new iPhones in the fall.

Now, if you had a local (encrypted?) backup in iTunes, it could've restored your missing apps from the local copies in iTunes. But iCloud just keeps a list of all your installed apps and when you restore, asks the App Store to re-download them. If the App Store doesn't have them anymore, you're out of luck.

But the apps are available, or at least all of them except X-Men. NBA Jam is available for $7.49, Icewind Dale for $14.99, Dark Quest for $2.99, Sleepmaker Rain Pro for $2.99 (in New Zealand dollars). But I've already paid for them once!

Endless Mike posted:

Icewind Dale, at least, is still there, so I don't think it was that it was removed.

It sounds like you maybe purchased them on another account somehow?

Yeah it does sound that way but I've never had any other account. So weird. Maybe something went wrong with the backup on my old phone or the restore on the new one?

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 26, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've noticed a lot of weird behavior with the App Store lately, where I'm prompted to repurchase apps I already own but I'm not charged for them. You might try "re-buying" the cheapest of the missing app and see if it actually charges you; if it doesn't, it's just the App Store loving up again and you can go ahead and re-download the rest of them. If it does, then you know something's up and you can contact Apple to get it sorted out.

I assume you've already checked your list of purchased apps?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Thwomp posted:

Local iTunes backups don't work right anymore.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Are people still plugging things in and using itunes?

Wait, why are people still using itunes?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

This is the -response I got from 1Password.

"Hey! I am writing to say I a bit caught off guard and disappointed. I was
recently told that, even though a few years ago I bought a license from
you, I will no longer be supported as a user or get access to new
features. I paid a good chunk of money for my license, and find it really
lame you would enact this policy. I would encourage you to change your
mind, and grandfather in legacy users like myself. Please reconsider."

"Thanks for being a 1Password user and reaching out to us!

I'm not sure where you obtained information about not being supported as a user anymore, but that isn't true. I wasn't able to locate a license for you purchased from our AgileBits store. What version of 1Password are you using and when did you purchase?

If you're a Windows user, it is true we are no longer developing updates for 1Password 4 for Windows, but will continue to provide security fixes and support for it. 1Password 6 for Windows currently only works with a subscription and not local vaults. Not saying it won't ever, it's just our focus right now is on the subscription service.

If you're a Mac user, you can still purchase a standalone license of our latest version 1Password 6 for Mac, but it's always been the case that a one-time purchase of a license doesn't mean that's the only time you will ever have to pay. As major updates are released, you can be subject to upgrade fees.

We are advising our customers using standalone licenses to switch to a subscription-based accounts. Customers have been asking us for a long time to make syncing and sharing easier. Based on those demands we created 1Password.com accounts. The only way to provide this service is as a subscription. We provide the sync service as well as the apps as part of this subscription. The ability to easily share passwords and other important data amongst family and team members has been immensely popular with our 1Password.com subscription customers.

Some benefits of a 1Password subscription account include:

-Use all the apps. Your membership includes the apps for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.
-Get all the updates. You’ll get the latest versions of all the 1Password apps for no additional cost as soon as they come out. If we continue to sell standalone licenses, you will be subject to future upgrade fees.
-Enjoy the Pro features. The Pro features in the iOS and Android apps are included without a separate purchase.
-Sync automatically and securely. With a 1Password account, there’s no complicated third-party sync setup with Dropbox or iCloud. Everything syncs instantly with your account and is available on all your devices across every platform.
-Restore previous versions of items. If you accidentally changed or deleted an item, you can restore it.
-You can still access your data offline and if you edit your data offline in 1Password apps, changes will be available on your other devices as soon as you go back online.
-Back up your data without lifting a finger. If your device is lost or damaged, sign in to your account on a new device. All your passwords and items will be there.
-Stay safe crossing borders. Travel Mode temporarily remove select vaults from your computers and mobile devices for extra protection when you travel.
-Store secure documents. Upload files and keep them in encrypted storage, then access them whenever you need them.
-View and edit your data on 1Password.com. You’ll have online access to your data even if you’re away from your main devices.
-Benefit from the new multi-factor security model. Your data is fully encrypted using a randomized unique Secret Key in conjunction with your Master Password (only you know the keys to decrypt your data).

We can offer discounts for long-time users of 1Password if they want to move over to a 1Password account.

I hope this helps explain things better for you.

Thanks again for being a 1Password customer and have a great day!"

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

GoldfishStew posted:

I'm not sure where you obtained information about not being supported as a user anymore, but that isn't true. I wasn't able to locate a license for you purchased from our AgileBits store. What version of 1Password are you using and when did you purchase?

If you're a Windows user, it is true we are no longer developing updates for 1Password 4 for Windows, but will continue to provide security fixes and support for it. 1Password 6 for Windows currently only works with a subscription and not local vaults. Not saying it won't ever, it's just our focus right now is on the subscription service.

If you're a Mac user, you can still purchase a standalone license of our latest version 1Password 6 for Mac, but it's always been the case that a one-time purchase of a license doesn't mean that's the only time you will ever have to pay. As major updates are released, you can be subject to upgrade fees.

We are advising our customers using standalone licenses to switch to a subscription-based accounts. Customers have been asking us for a long time to make syncing and sharing easier. Based on those demands we created 1Password.com accounts. The only way to provide this service is as a subscription. We provide the sync service as well as the apps as part of this subscription. The ability to easily share passwords and other important data amongst family and team members has been immensely popular with our 1Password.com subscription customers.

-Use all the apps. Your membership includes the apps for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.
-Get all the updates. You’ll get the latest versions of all the 1Password apps for no additional cost as soon as they come out. If we continue to sell standalone licenses, you will be subject to future upgrade fees.
-Enjoy the Pro features. The Pro features in the iOS and Android apps are included without a separate purchase.
-Sync automatically and securely. With a 1Password account, there’s no complicated third-party sync setup with Dropbox or iCloud. Everything syncs instantly with your account and is available on all your devices across every platform.
-Restore previous versions of items. If you accidentally changed or deleted an item, you can restore it.
-You can still access your data offline and if you edit your data offline in 1Password apps, changes will be available on your other devices as soon as you go back online.
-Back up your data without lifting a finger. If your device is lost or damaged, sign in to your account on a new device. All your passwords and items will be there.
-Stay safe crossing borders. Travel Mode temporarily remove select vaults from your computers and mobile devices for extra protection when you travel.
-Store secure documents. Upload files and keep them in encrypted storage, then access them whenever you need them.
-View and edit your data on 1Password.com. You’ll have online access to your data even if you’re away from your main devices.
-Benefit from the new multi-factor security model. Your data is fully encrypted using a randomized unique Secret Key in conjunction with your Master Password (only you know the keys to decrypt your data).

We can offer discounts for long-time users of 1Password if they want to move over to a 1Password account.

....or just use KeePass

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to download some YouTube videos onto my wife's iPad mini for our trip tomorrow, but all four of them have been just spinning in the "waiting" phase for at least a half an hour now. Did I somehow do it wrong?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

BoyBlunder posted:

....or just use KeePass

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

BoyBlunder posted:

....or just use KeePass

Their response was basically, thanks and gently caress you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GoldfishStew posted:

Are people still plugging things in and using itunes?

Wait, why are people still using itunes?

Because we don't want to pay iCloud rates for storage

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Weedle posted:

I've noticed a lot of weird behavior with the App Store lately, where I'm prompted to repurchase apps I already own but I'm not charged for them. You might try "re-buying" the cheapest of the missing app and see if it actually charges you; if it doesn't, it's just the App Store loving up again and you can go ahead and re-download the rest of them. If it does, then you know something's up and you can contact Apple to get it sorted out.

I assume you've already checked your list of purchased apps?

So weird, I thought maybe there was an issue with having the apps installed on 2 devices at once, so I tried to delete the apps from my old phone. I erased my new phone and ran the restore again and it seemed to be working, all the apps were there queued and ready to download, but when it's their turn to install they just disappear! WTF

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

dissss posted:

Because we don't want to pay iCloud rates for storage

lol "icloud rates" as if the price of a lovely coffee every month for 200 GB is somehow unreasonable

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

endlessmonotony posted:

Local iTunes backups don't work right anymore.

Even if you do a local backup, you still need to separately transfer purchases and sync all your apps across.

Otherwise restoring the backup will just download apps from the App Store. And apps which don't get support iCloud backup will lose data.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Ok I figured it out. I just went to repurchase one of the apps that wasn't downloading and up pops a message that says something like "This will be free because you have already purchased a version of this app" so maybe there are slightly different versions of apps for older phones or the app store was just confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

Ok, so I'm in this boat (I paid for the Mac app and iOS app of 1 password). What was the discount for long time users to move over to a synced account?