Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
He's got bear mace and is worried about the occasional grisly he's spotted in the Montana wilderness. Yes I realize that small arms in general aren't great for bears but its something. Whole clip of +P .45 seems like it would do enough damage so you can flee. I'm no bear expert, but are their hides and fat thick enough that hollow point rounds would actually hurt them less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Pesticide20 posted:

You should've used the sights instead

Consider me chastened, I swear my proficiency with the English language is better than that of mine with a firearm.

Don't think I was anticipating recoil much; I'm well used to the G19. I probably had an off day, in which case

and

apply equally well.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

M_Gargantua posted:

Friend is looking for a handgun to carry when he's in the wilderness fishing, he goes to bear country alot. Got into discussing it with him and I have no idea what will work against a bear. But after discussing came up with some baseline other aspects he wants. Not a revolver, no interest in ever owning more than 4 or 5 guns total, and something that he can enjoy shooting at the range every few weekends. So pretty much a full size pistol with a good clip capacity, and probably .40 or .45? Are 357 semi's good?

Non-revolver handgun for bears up to grizzly size says 10mm Glock 20 to me.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The only logical solution:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He probably won't enjoy shooting a 10mm much. But it's a pretty good round for that use.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Shooting a pistol at a grizzly bear is kinda ineffective

stick with the bear mace or get a giant fuckoff longarm

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Smiling Jack posted:

Shooting a pistol at a grizzly bear is kinda ineffective

stick with the bear mace or get a giant fuckoff longarm

He's carried the bear mace forever, he just wants a gun as backup, and a gun especially thats useful for most smaller less deadly wildlife and range days.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Non-revolver handgun for bears up to grizzly size says 10mm Glock 20 to me.

Probably the best bet, with some of the stouter Buffalo Bore loads. .45 ACP +P will still underpenetrate a bear according to hunting folks. The sort of ammo he needs will not be fun to shoot, but he can get a drop in .40S&W barrel and recoil spring assy to plink with.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
using a 10mm on a charging grizzly seems like a recipe for being mauled to death

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Full power 10mm is pretty stout.

I think it was supposed to be an auto friendly .357 magnum equivalent.

Unless you are going to go to a .44 that's about your only real option.

To be honest though bears are long arm territory as far as I'm concerned, but a 10mm is a lot better than Marquis of Queensbury rules.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Really doing himself a disservice ignoring revolvers. A 357 would be bare minimum suitable.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

Really doing himself a disservice ignoring revolvers. A 357 would be bare minimum suitable.

I think you mean that .357 is a bear necessity

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pesticide20 posted:

I think you mean that .357 is a bear necessity

Oh goddamn it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
purple tiger striped Desert Eagle for bears :twisted:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

not caring here posted:

Full power 10mm is pretty stout.

I think it was supposed to be an auto friendly .357 magnum equivalent.

Unless you are going to go to a .44 that's about your only real option.

To be honest though bears are long arm territory as far as I'm concerned, but a 10mm is a lot better than Marquis of Queensbury rules.

At full strength, 10mm Auto is equivalent or superior to .357 Magnum without the bulk and expense of a Desert Eagle or Coonan and the slide should help absorb some of the recoil compared to a revolver with similar loads.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The other thing I'm curious about, ballisticly or practicly, is how the marginal additional penetration of 357 or 44 is more effective than having double the number of rounds of 45 or 10mm and a quicker reload. Even without that extra few cm of penetration you're still going to get massive internal hemoraging and organ failure from even half of your rounds hitting when you dump the mag

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Some animals have insanely strong bones, and sometimes not even animals you'd really expect (gently caress you, wild goats).

Having seen a grizzly bear skeleton the thickness of the bones is amazing, and is probably the biggest impediment to stopping them charging at you.

I think that's where people would prefer the extra penetration.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Bears are loving fast. The average hiker would be lucky to even draw his pistol before an angry bear hits him.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
yea fuckin lmbo if you think homeboy is gonna have a chance to empty a 7 round mag or 6 cylinders before hes being gnawed in half

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I seem to remember a Russian speaking goon translating a Soviet analysis on bear attacks in which a firearm was used (successfully or not). I think it was broken down by caliber of weapon used (a fairly useful metric in the USSR), how many rounds expended, and if the defense was "successful". The most used round, with the most rounds fired, was the 7.62x38Rmm Nagant cartridge. The M1895 revolver was by far the most common gun chambered in 7.62x38Rmm, with the military loading around as powerful as .32 H&R Magnum. I'm thinking of an old joke, "What did the Australian triple amputee have to say about great white sharks?" "Go for the eyes, mate, go for the eyes!"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just tell him to get an S&W R8 and get over his revolver hitch.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-mp-r8

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Just tell him to get an S&W R8 and get over his revolver hitch.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-mp-r8

no dont

for real if your buddy is in grizzly country that often, he should be humping a guide gun in .45-70

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

madeintaipei posted:

I seem to remember a Russian speaking goon translating a Soviet analysis on bear attacks in which a firearm was used (successfully or not). I think it was broken down by caliber of weapon used (a fairly useful metric in the USSR), how many rounds expended, and if the defense was "successful". The most used round, with the most rounds fired, was the 7.62x38Rmm Nagant cartridge. The M1895 revolver was by far the most common gun chambered in 7.62x38Rmm, with the military loading around as powerful as .32 H&R Magnum. I'm thinking of an old joke, "What did the Australian triple amputee have to say about great white sharks?" "Go for the eyes, mate, go for the eyes!"

You can use a .22 if you just hit the bear in the eyes :clint:

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

You can use a .22 if you just hit the bear in the eyes :clint:

it'll bounce around the skull, travel through the body scrambling the organs, and then open a wormhole going back in time to kill hitler

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

The absolute best was that one of the data points was a bear shot with 35 rounds of 7.62×25mm Tokarev. 35 is the exact number of rounds in a PPSh stick mag, and there aren't a lot of other firearms in that caliber. Someone was rolling around Siberia with a WWII SMG as an anti-bear weapon and mag dumped into a bear until it went click.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dead Reckoning posted:

The absolute best was that one of the data points was a bear shot with 35 rounds of 7.62×25mm Tokarev. 35 is the exact number of rounds in a PPSh stick mag, and there aren't a lot of other firearms in that caliber. Someone was rolling around Siberia with a WWII SMG as an anti-bear weapon and mag dumped into a bear until it went click.

Was it a success?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

my kinda ape posted:

Was it a success?

Since he lived to report it, I'd say yes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This seems like a good time to recommend Grizzly Man to anyone who hasn't seen it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Eh Project Grizzly is better

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Apples and oranges. That is pretty great though.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, this is a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSqMn8e81CA

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

This is the story of a canyon.

And a rifle.

And madness

This is from an overlook, looking down on the long draw route. Do you see?

This is the kneeling camel. Do you see?

This is from the bottom of the SOB draw route. 1.75 miles one way, 1800 feet elevation difference.

My mandate also includes weird bugs.

Those weird bugs flew all around above the river like dancing fairies, giving the place a very ethereal, otherworldly feel.

Looking down the SOB draw. Photos don't convey one bit the sheer amount of drop. One must be very mindful where every step goes. As I was coming up, I heard climbers above yell "ROCK!" I looked up, saw a plume of dust coming from the canyon walls, and heard a shattering echo rolling down. I had enough time to duck and cover behind a large rock while several other rocks clattered and cannoned overhead.

But wait, keep your fork, there's PIE. This is from the bottom of the long draw route. 1 mile, 1800 feet elevation difference.

Looking straight up from the bottom of the long draw.

Looking down the long draw. This route is more straightforward than the SOB draw in that there's only maybe 50-60 feet between the walls. Nowhere to go but down or up. The picture still doesn't convey the steepness at all.

Exclamation point, just past sunset.

The dragons of the painted wall before sunrise. Behold, glory given form, carved from the very flesh of the earth by eons of chaos.

This morning I drove around to the south rim to try and hit the Gunnison route down, only to be told that all the permits had already been taken. I was somewhat disappointed, but my legs were secretly relieved.

This is me right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v8seRt_cSI

And tomorrow will be even worse, because it's always worse the second day after.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Rat posted:

This is the story of a canyon.

And a rifle.

And madness

And since we were discussing things to repel bears with on this very page. Army-dependent friend of mine got mauled to within millimeters of his life by a brown bear in Alaska on Saturday, made the local news.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017/06/25/two-injured-in-separate-brown-bear-attacks-in-southcentral-alaska-saturday/

His carotid artery was visible :stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

yo rat those are some good-rear end pics

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
So is it wrong I want one of these

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And since we were discussing things to repel bears with on this very page. Army-dependent friend of mine got mauled to within millimeters of his life by a brown bear in Alaska on Saturday, made the local news.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017/06/25/two-injured-in-separate-brown-bear-attacks-in-southcentral-alaska-saturday/

His carotid artery was visible :stare:

if only he had a glock 20

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Yes, because they are not great, and the 10/22 takedown and Magpul backpacker stock exist now, which do the same thing much better.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

My dad has one. I haven't shot it, but it doesn't seem like it would be very enjoyable. That said, for its intended niche, it's probably solid. There aren't a whole lot of rifles that can fold up into their own rear end.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Two Finger posted:

yo rat those are some good-rear end pics

Thanks, glad you like them. Definitely wasn't easy, especially doing both of those hikes in the same day. Today the fronts of my thighs feel massively sore, but strangely enough not the squatting muscles. Guess the downhill wore me out more than the uphill, which is surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

if only he had a glock 20