Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah that post made my stdh alarm ring too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Bogan King posted:

I've found the fabled stdh that is actually OK.

Yeah, this one's actually plausible. It doesn't have that attention-seeking "And then I stood up to the mean bad person and they ran away and everyone clapped for me and threw a parade" garbage that most stdh has.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

funktopus posted:

Yeah, this one's actually plausible. It doesn't have that attention-seeking "And then I stood up to the mean bad person and they ran away and everyone clapped for me and threw a parade" garbage that most stdh has.

That's because it is a news brief written by someone having heard a stdh.wav and deciding, well, they don't have any ads they can put there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

karmicknight posted:

That's because it is a news brief written by someone having heard a stdh.wav and deciding, well, they don't have any ads they can put there.

Witness the skill difference between a beat writer and an NAR editor.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

HOLY poo poo

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Plausible. People are stupid.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm not sure it really warrants a HOLY poo poo though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Everything that gets posted in this thread is somehow plausible.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I hate to be a stdh "well actually" guy but in high school we had a kid that was a diabetic and he was fiddling with his glucose reader under his desk and the teacher was like "what are you doing, put away that Gameboy" and he was like "it's my glucose meter, I'm a diabetic" and the teacher was red-faced and shook af

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A lot of it is plausible, but embellished beyond the point of believability with things like applause or people fleeing in shame, or just wholly unremarkable events presented as if they were the most exciting moments in the teller's life.

I was once confronted by one of Lyndon LaRouche's flunkies who told me, apropos of absolutely loving nothing, that I needed to "get out of the video games and spend more time in the real world", apparently prompted by the fact that I, being in a good mood, had hopped down the last few steps outside my college's student union building near where he was set up. Apparently jumping = video games.

I said, "excuse me?" and he replied "it's called reality, you should check it out some time" and handed me a magazine that declared computers to be satanic mind control devices or something like that. My response was something along the lines of "are you kidding me with this bullshit" and he tried to argue his point for a bit before deciding I must be "on something".

I shot back "yeah, it's called reality, you should check it out some time." Dropped the magazine and walked off.

In stdh land, he would have run off red-faced and speechless, having been persuaded of the wrongness of his views, and the crowd would have applauded. What actually happened was he yelled "oh, come on, you were just waiting for a chance to say that".

Goddamn right I was.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I hate to be a stdh "well actually" guy but in high school we had a kid that was a diabetic and he was fiddling with his glucose reader under his desk and the teacher was like "what are you doing, put away that Gameboy" and he was like "it's my glucose meter, I'm a diabetic" and the teacher was red-faced and shook af

In my senior year I was at a meeting of all the club presidents and vice presidents to discuss things like new charters and fundraising, and one of them got yelled at for eating M&Ms during the meeting. He's diabetic and was about to hit a sugar low.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

STDH can very well be subtle changes/exaggerations to otherwise plausible interactions. Like making a note that the person was DEFINITELY red faced and visibly shaking, when in reality they just looked annoyed. Or saying "the entire class broke out into laughter" when really a couple people snickered under their breaths and the rest were just confused/not paying attention.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

A lot of it is plausible, but embellished beyond the point of believability with things like applause or people fleeing in shame, or just wholly unremarkable events presented as if they were the most exciting moments in the teller's life.

I was once confronted by one of Lyndon LaRouche's flunkies who told me, apropos of absolutely loving nothing, that I needed to "get out of the video games and spend more time in the real world", apparently prompted by the fact that I, being in a good mood, had hopped down the last few steps outside my college's student union building near where he was set up. Apparently jumping = video games.

I said, "excuse me?" and he replied "it's called reality, you should check it out some time" and handed me a magazine that declared computers to be satanic mind control devices or something like that. My response was something along the lines of "are you kidding me with this bullshit" and he tried to argue his point for a bit before deciding I must be "on something".

I shot back "yeah, it's called reality, you should check it out some time." Dropped the magazine and walked off.

In stdh land, he would have run off red-faced and speechless, having been persuaded of the wrongness of his views, and the crowd would have applauded. What actually happened was he yelled "oh, come on, you were just waiting for a chance to say that".

Goddamn right I was.

This is some poo poo that toyally happened

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
i just don't udnerstand why people screenshot the useless comments underneath the story. even the stdhs that manage to be amusing get the life sucked out of them b/c someone less funny had to comment and completely undermine the punchline, and whoever is uploading them doesn't know how to use the crop function

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
It's the equivalent of a laugh track for STDH. How else am I supposed to know when to be amazed?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

sweeperbravo posted:

i just don't udnerstand why people screenshot the useless comments underneath the story. even the stdhs that manage to be amusing get the life sucked out of them b/c someone less funny had to comment and completely undermine the punchline, and whoever is uploading them doesn't know how to use the crop function

Probably because the person screenshotting/uploading it is one of the people commenting.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.

Comptroll The Forums posted:

It's the equivalent of a laugh track for STDH. How else am I supposed to know when to be amazed?

I also need to know when people can't even

or if they just

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

sweeperbravo posted:

savage af

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

omnibobb posted:

savage af

OMG I'm crying

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

They're like excerpts from reviews on movie trailers.

"I CAN'T EVEN"
-Aint it Cool News

"HOLY poo poo"
-Polygon

"I'm dying in my classroom right now!"
-AOL.com

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Crossposting from the comic strip thread b/c it reminds me of one of the thread's favorite Tropers

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

how come he could hear the teacher ask why he wasn't responding when he couldn't hear anything before that though

tell me more about the females with the large breasts

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Sisal Two-Step posted:

how come he could hear the teacher ask why he wasn't responding when he couldn't hear anything before that though

tell me more about the females with the large breasts

Man, just imagine the injuries if they were catapulted through the loving windshield :stare:

I'll take severed titty over street hamburger any day

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
He's know 12 people who were killed or maimed by seatbelts? How could that even be possible, why would you make up such an obvious lie?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Someone's been reading troper tales

The General
Mar 4, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

He's know 12 people who were killed or maimed by seatbelts? How could that even be possible, why would you make up such an obvious lie?

Maybe real terrible drivers hang together?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
http://imgur.com/gallery/IayLJ

quote:

My daughter made me post this...

So my daughter is 4 and knows what Imgur is. So she said she won't leave me alone until I post her train set. So upvote. She said she wanted to see how many she can get. Even if you don't upvote. Be happy we have recruited another Imgurian!

:rolleyes:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

so my daughter is 4 and knows what imgur is and wishes daddy would put it down to pay more attention to her. so she wouldn't leave me alone until i give her positive reinforcement by posting her train set. so upvote and incentivise me to parent.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That actually did happen, there's a youtube video of a fan dancing with Michael Jackson in a 2002 concert. Though, whether it was this guy or not Idk. The fan was tall af.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Turtlicious posted:

That actually did happen, there's a youtube video of a fan dancing with Michael Jackson in a 2002 concert. Though, whether it was this guy or not Idk. The fan was tall af.

But the story wasn't just a fan dancing with him, it was him starting to sing the song and then Michael Jackson danced with him, not the other way around. I'm not going to look for the video because who gives a poo poo, but unless that youtube video shows him dressed like him and wearing a headset, it didn't happen. I'm sure tumblr ate it up either way though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah I eat rear end posted:

But the story wasn't just a fan dancing with him, it was him starting to sing the song and then Michael Jackson danced with him, not the other way around. I'm not going to look for the video because who gives a poo poo, but unless that youtube video shows him dressed like him and wearing a headset, it didn't happen. I'm sure tumblr ate it up either way though.

yeah at least 4,500 people believed that dude when it's screenshot, and you're right.

I looked up the video, and it was a woman who was asked on stage by Michael, and that's the only recorded time someone's ever danced with MJ on-stage, so I'm dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlEQkvHax0

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I think he might be trying to suppress a not so pleasant memory of his time with Michael Jackson as a 13-year-old. :smith:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Turtlicious posted:

A guy claims that when he was 13 he accidentally wound up backstage at a Michael Jackson show, was mistaken for MJ, and sang like MJ so perfectly that the real MJ was so impressed he danced with him on stage, the whole arena stood up and applauded, and the first thing you post is "Hey maybe this actually happened".

Why is everyone so loving stupid?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

i always wondered what it would be like when my generation started having kids and its worse than i could ever imagine.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Haha I completely missed the part where he was 13

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

And by 2002 didn't Michael have his weird nose job and poo poo? How do you get confused for him?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Len posted:

And by 2002 didn't Michael have his weird nose job and poo poo? How do you get confused for him?

I mean honestly this can be expanded to "who in the world besides maybe Latoya on a bad day could be mistaken for Michael Jackson"

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I'm just mad that I missed MJ singing bohemian rhapsody with his tween doppelganger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I'm pretty sure Michael Jackson always lip-synced when performing Billie Jean.