Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
At a high level, how do I scan a video file and look for audio jingles? I have an .avi file and I'd like to know how many times a specific 3-second jingle is played in that file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

At a high level, how do I scan a video file and look for audio jingles? I have an .avi file and I'd like to know how many times a specific 3-second jingle is played in that file.

The basic concept would be to do a Fourier transform of the audio stream from the video and of the jingle you're looking for, and then do a cross-correlation. The peaks in the cross correlation should correspond to the time coordinates where the jingles occur.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

B-Nasty posted:

I have a TP W541, and it's generally been pretty decent. It's heavy, and brick-like, but I would expect that given it's specs.

My only real complaint with it is the 3K screen, which I think is ridiculous for a 15". That's more of a personal, old-guy preference, however.

Yeah, my T550 has a 3K screen as well, which means it's an endless battle to get non-DPI-aware programs like Steam to not be poo poo. For some reason Lenovo only offers IPS screens in 3K, at least for that model; if you want 1920x1080 you have to get TN.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I have a P70, the only part I'd call flimsy is a little area at the top left above the Escape key where I can tap the plastic and it makes a little click. Otherwise it's been quite solid.

My major complaint would be that, while the battery life is serviceable (lasts through the morning or the afternoon), it annoys me that the useless DVD drive cannot be replaced with an extra battery, as in older models. You can only use the bay for another hard drive, which I definitely don't need (there's two m.2 slots and a 2.5" one already), whereas a second battery would make it drat near perfect.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The basic concept would be to do a Fourier transform of the audio stream from the video and of the jingle you're looking for, and then do a cross-correlation. The peaks in the cross correlation should correspond to the time coordinates where the jingles occur.

Thanks. It's been 10+ years since I've thought about FT.

I'm hoping I can find something in Python that does most the work. Provide audio file and sound query, and have it spit out a timestamp.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks. It's been 10+ years since I've thought about FT.

I'm hoping I can find something in Python that does most the work. Provide audio file and sound query, and have it spit out a timestamp.

This might work for you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

And if it doesn't, scipy has fourier transform and cross-correlation functionality.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Someone's gonna win all the tickets from the 107.7 WRKR Summer Sweepstakes.

NihilCredo posted:

I have a P70, the only part I'd call flimsy is a little area at the top left above the Escape key where I can tap the plastic and it makes a little click. Otherwise it's been quite solid.

My major complaint would be that, while the battery life is serviceable (lasts through the morning or the afternoon), it annoys me that the useless DVD drive cannot be replaced with an extra battery, as in older models. You can only use the bay for another hard drive, which I definitely don't need (there's two m.2 slots and a 2.5" one already), whereas a second battery would make it drat near perfect.

This really bugs me, my first laptop was a Fujitsu Lifebook T4220 and I could use a bay battery, it hugely improved battery life over the standard 6-cell or w/e. Not being able to use bay batteries on modern Thinkpads is a major bummer.

My laptop significantly predates M.2 however so I do still use the bay for a spinning HDD for bulk storage.

sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf
Hi! Does anyone have any recommendations on books / papers / literature on modern compiler and programming language design?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

And if it doesn't, scipy has fourier transform and cross-correlation functionality.

Thanks, I'll give these a look.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Anyone point me towards some good reading on setting up distributed 'serverless' components? Specifically how service discovery is normally handled?

I have a thing where I want multiple "agents" to talk to the nearest available "collector" and the "collector" would forward any data it receives to a database.

I want the agents to be able to automatically discover which collector would be the best for them to send to, and if one collector goes offline, start sending data to the next one.

My initial thought is to use dns, but I feel like some people much smarter than me have solved this problem, but am having a hard time finding good information.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

The Fool posted:

Anyone point me towards some good reading on setting up distributed 'serverless' components? Specifically how service discovery is normally handled?

I have a thing where I want multiple "agents" to talk to the nearest available "collector" and the "collector" would forward any data it receives to a database.

I want the agents to be able to automatically discover which collector would be the best for them to send to, and if one collector goes offline, start sending data to the next one.

My initial thought is to use dns, but I feel like some people much smarter than me have solved this problem, but am having a hard time finding good information.
There exist multiple service discovery tools, for example https://www.consul.io

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Fool posted:

IETF is your friend here. If you like reading anyway.

using DNS

using reload
Reload base

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012
Just wondering if there are any more practice examples/problems for newbie programmers... The job megathread indexes these:

Practice practice practice

Talentbuddy - a bunch of interview-esque programming challenges
Project Euler - a series of challenging math/CS problems that starts easy and gets hard
CareerCup - the company that makes "Cracking the Coding Interview"
Topcoder - a site about programming competitions
CoderByte - Small programming challenges organized into 3 difficulty bands
CodeKata - A popular series of programming exercises

I'm sure these are the most popular but are these the only ones out there? I remember there was one that was really effin long and you could compete with anyone in the world. Nobody has been able to find that particular site for me after I first found out about it. Prob cus the forum i found it on has long since wiped their forums clean for whatever reason...

Big up to anyone who can help me here, Im trying to get my hands on anything and everything that falls under practice examples/problems.

(Off topic: Is there a way to "thank" people on this forum? Seems like the somethingawful members are helping me more and more everyday.)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

tricksnake posted:

Just wondering if there are any more practice examples/problems for newbie programmers... The job megathread indexes these:

Project Euler - a series of challenging math/CS problems that starts easy and gets hard

I'm sure these are the most popular but are these the only ones out there? I remember there was one that was really effin long and you could compete with anyone in the world. Nobody has been able to find that particular site for me after I first found out about it. Prob cus the forum i found it on has long since wiped their forums clean for whatever reason...

Big up to anyone who can help me here, Im trying to get my hands on anything and everything that falls under practice examples/problems.

(Off topic: Is there a way to "thank" people on this forum? Seems like the somethingawful members are helping me more and more everyday.)

Codefights
Codewars
HackerRank
Leetcode

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

tricksnake posted:

There are a bunch of them, but none come to mind immediately. Some require a paid subscription.

Typically "thanks" are through purchasing avatars or the like.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not really a programming question, but: is there a way to verify that an email address is legit? I'm getting gas service set up at my apartment and I was told to send scans of two pieces of identifying documentation to an email address that I can't immediately verify exists (neid@nationalgrid.com). I'm skeptical of this, so I wanted to make sure the email was legit and I didn't somehow get intercepted by some scammer or something. Google didn't get me anything. Is there an email lookup out there or something?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Not really a programming question, but: is there a way to verify that an email address is legit? I'm getting gas service set up at my apartment and I was told to send scans of two pieces of identifying documentation to an email address that I can't immediately verify exists (neid@nationalgrid.com). I'm skeptical of this, so I wanted to make sure the email was legit and I didn't somehow get intercepted by some scammer or something. Google didn't get me anything. Is there an email lookup out there or something?

Send an email to it and see if it bounces.

E: actually read your thing.
Make sure that the domain is owned by the organization you think it should be owned by. Do a whois.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Codefights
Codewars
HackerRank
Leetcode

https://www.codingame.com/ can be fun, too, but fair warning: I've had solutions that pass locally and fail on their server-side verification, which really frustrating because 'Faled' is all the feedback you get for those AFAICT.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

leper khan posted:

Send an email to it and see if it bounces.

E: actually read your thing.
Make sure that the domain is owned by the organization you think it should be owned by. Do a whois.

The whois checked out so I guess it's real. Thanks! loving hate dealing with companies sometimes.

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

Codefights
Codewars
HackerRank
Leetcode

thanks homie

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
This is not really related to any programming language in particular so:

How dumb am I for wanting to setup my own Open Streetmap tileserver?
Really dumb, or just dumb?

I need some tileserver, especially the seamap one's, and the fair use policy of OSM's own servers sound kind of restrictive. Especially now that I am still actively working on stuff I fear I might misuse their services....

I saw the setup guides for your own server and holey moley.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

When using a purely function language where "variables" are not re-assignable, is there any sort of approach to creating a "running sum" type of function, that takes a list as input, and returns another list, where each element's value depends on the previous one, and do this in a non retarded way ( that means it should take no more than O(n) time )

so for example: running_sum([1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10])
would return: [1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, 36, 45, 55]

The language in question is OpenSCAD, but I don't expect a large number of people to be familiar with it, so I'm wondering about a more general solution.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

peepsalot posted:

When using a purely function language where "variables" are not re-assignable, is there any sort of approach to creating a "running sum" type of function, that takes a list as input, and returns another list, where each element's value depends on the previous one, and do this in a non retarded way ( that means it should take no more than O(n) time )

The language in question is OpenSCAD, but I don't expect a large number of people to be familiar with it, so I'm wondering about a more general solution.

The normal thing to do is recursion and pass your state as an argument. Haskell:

code:
running_sum :: [Int] -> [Int]
running_sum xs = running_sum_helper 0 xs

running_sum_helper :: Int -> [Int] -> [Int]
running_sum_helper sum (x:xs) = (sum + x) : running_sum_helper (sum + x) xs
running_sum_helper _ [] = []
code:
*Main> running_sum [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[1,3,6,10,15,21,28,36,45,55]

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I need some tileserver, especially the seamap one's, and the fair use policy of OSM's own servers sound kind of restrictive. Especially now that I am still actively working on stuff I fear I might misuse their services....

Maybe a docker container would be easier?

https://github.com/geo-data/openstreetmap-tiles-docker/blob/master/README.md

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Might be worth a shot, thanks.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

ShoulderDaemon posted:

The normal thing to do is recursion and pass your state as an argument. Haskell:

code:
running_sum :: [Int] -> [Int]
running_sum xs = running_sum_helper 0 xs

running_sum_helper :: Int -> [Int] -> [Int]
running_sum_helper sum (x:xs) = (sum + x) : running_sum_helper (sum + x) xs
running_sum_helper _ [] = []
code:
*Main> running_sum [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[1,3,6,10,15,21,28,36,45,55]
I think the main problem I'm having is that OpenSCAD doesn't have anything like the cons operator. Its like I have to concat two lists (one of them being a single element long) for every element in the result, which is making it take O(n^2) time.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

peepsalot posted:

You would typically use "scan"
pre:
scala> val ns = 1 to 10
ns: scala.collection.immutable.Range.Inclusive = Range(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

scala> ns.foldLeft(0)(_ + _)
res0: Int = 55

scala> ns.scanLeft(0)(_ + _)
res1: scala.collection.immutable.IndexedSeq[Int] = Vector(0, 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, 36, 45, 55)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I don't have a scan function either, so what does the implementation of scan look like?

Oh yeah and also the language is not actually functional in the sense that it can even support higher order functions (functions are not first class).

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 24, 2017

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

peepsalot posted:

In addition to the accumulator solution ShoulderDaemon mentioned it might help to know that this problem has a name: prefix sum. Most functional languages will have support for computing prefix sums out of the box with some arbitrary binary operator (not just + as with the example numerical running sum), as well as possibly also parallel prefix sum implementations. In Haskell the general prefix sum is called scanl and "canonical" solution here would be

code:
running_sum :: Num a =>[a] -> [a]
running_sum = scanl1 (+)
OpenSCAD looks like it's pretty limited. Far as I can understand from the version of the docs I looked at their lists are actually dynamic static? arrays, and the only way to do what you want is manual accumulation using their list comprehensions. That's going to result in a bunch of array concatenations which are almost certainly not O(n). The following is translating what ShoulderDaemon wrote to what I think might almost be valid OpenSCAD.

code:
running_sum_helper(acc, xs) = 
	len(xs) == 0 ? [acc] :
		let new_acc = acc + xs[0]
		let tail = [ for (i = [1 : len(xs) - 1]) xs[i] ]
		concat([acc], running_sum_helper(new_acc, tail));
I don't think the compiler is going to be very smart about it.

E: Well, I'm late to the party. Anyhow, in conclusion, you may be doomed to O(n^2). It might be possible to wring what you want out of their list comprehension syntax, but far as I can tell it just allows for filter + map combinations which is not sufficient. Of course, it's not like I actually know OpenSCAD.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 24, 2017

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I set up a nominatim server a couple months ago. It was straightforward, but they're not joking about resources or time.

If you do a bunch of GIS stuff though it could be really useful to set up some of their stuff. If you're worried about license stuff, you could just use it internally then switch to whatever other provider in stage and prod.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Do you have a guide handy that you used? I've tried photon, which is Nomitatim server written in Java, but that did not work as well as I hoped.

I now use OpenCage en they have a very nice API and a free usage tier which actually makes it possible to do anything.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Does anyone know a command line metronome program that exists for Windows? https://www.npmjs.com/package/metronome.js fits with what I want re command arguments, but it only works on a Mac.

I think I've never programmed anything that has to emit sounds. I assume that this would be easy enough to whip up in c#? I still have visual studio installed on my computer.....

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
I'm attempting to write a GUI program using Eclipse and MinGW in C/C++.
I'm doing this specifically because I'd like to get away from using Visual Basic for the little programs I write for myself, and from Visual Studio/Windows entirely.

[On Windows 10] I have gotten Eclipse and MinGW to work, and I can get the blank window example on this page to work:
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/simple_window.html
What I cannot figure out how to do is how to add any useful controls to the window. I cannot find any examples online that show that, that aren't Visual Studio examples.

Years back when I was in school we learned (basically) how to do this, and you could just type all the code into the main file.
So I have written small Windows C++ programs this way in the past; I just can't recall exactly how.

You set the positions and sizes just by setting X-Y coordinates for each.... but the other examples on that website above don't show that.
They add several controls at once (so it's not obvious what any part of the whole thing is doing) and use a Visual Studio project that has the control settings in a separate resource file.

What I'm remembering is like this example on the MS site--
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh298354(v=vs.85).aspx
but that example won't work when copied and pasted anywhere into the previous window example.

Is there anywhere online that shows this? Like: FIRST they show the code for a blank window, and then they show code that has one button/one textbox/ect added to the same previously blank window.

Or can you even write the controls in-line anymore? Do you have to set the controls in a separate rc file now?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Newf posted:

Does anyone know a command line metronome program that exists for Windows? https://www.npmjs.com/package/metronome.js fits with what I want re command arguments, but it only works on a Mac.

I think I've never programmed anything that has to emit sounds. I assume that this would be easy enough to whip up in c#? I still have visual studio installed on my computer.....

This could probably be done in 10 lines of PowerShell.
Basically create two System.Media.SoundPlayer objects, one for each of the 'tick' and 'tock' sounds, and then have a loop playing them with an appropriate delay between.

Would be equally simple to do in C# yes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

edmund745 posted:

I'm attempting to write a GUI program using Eclipse and MinGW in C/C++.
I'm doing this specifically because I'd like to get away from using Visual Basic for the little programs I write for myself, and from Visual Studio/Windows entirely.

First, if you say you intend to move away from Windows entirely, why learn to program against the Win32 API? Nothing wrong with learning it, it's just not useful anywhere else.

But what you want to do, to make the Button example code you linked work, is create your controls in your WM_CREATE message handler on the main window. It isn't handled explicitly in the blank window sample you shave, so you'll have to add it to your WndProc switch.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Do you have a guide handy that you used? I've tried photon, which is Nomitatim server written in Java, but that did not work as well as I hoped.

I now use OpenCage en they have a very nice API and a free usage tier which actually makes it possible to do anything.

their wiki has a step-by-step

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

First, if you say you intend to move away from Windows entirely, why learn to program against the Win32 API? Nothing wrong with learning it, it's just not useful anywhere else.
That is eventually, not this week or this month.

quote:

But what you want to do, to make the Button example code you linked work, is create your controls in your WM_CREATE message handler on the main window. It isn't handled explicitly in the blank window sample you shave, so you'll have to add it to your WndProc switch.
That don't work.
Eclipse says "error: a label can only be part of a statement and a declaration is not a statement" at the first line of the added button-crating code.
(the parent window handle is edited correctly already)
[edit added]
Ya know what? Nevermind.
Netbeans/Java meets my original desires and seems to be a lot easier to use anyway.

edmund745 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 26, 2017

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
I have the following situation (abstracted a bit):

I have a set of N objects and a set of things T. Each thing t has k ordered slots that can be filled with unique objects from N, as long as certain constraints between the slots are fulfilled. These constraints are essentially of the form "n1.variable = n2.variable". As a special thing, the constraints are tied to the slots and the constraints between two slots only "look backwards": there is no way to know from looking at slot number 1 whether some later slot i has a constraint that refers to slot 1.

Now the task I'm being given is essentially this: "Given a certain initial object n, belonging to N, find any t in T that can be filled with items from N so that n is in the first slot of t.

This seems to me like a constraint optimization problem but I've not dabbled with them before. The trivial solution seems to be to loop over T, doing for each t a depth-first-search to determine whether the constraints can be fulfilled. As we are satisfied with any solution, we just stop when the first one is found. But event this takes an annoyingly long time (as in, "will cause problems down the line") and I'm wondering whether there's some technique I should be looking into.

If it helps, most of the things in T actually only have very few slots that need to be filled (the distribution is something like 50% have 1 slot, 25% have 2 slots, 12.5% have 3 slots, etc.) and most of the constraints are "looking backwards" at the first slot. The size of N, however, is relatively large (in the order of millions). The process is called very often and T is small and constant but shuffled between the calls. At the same time, N is in practice not known beforehand. We know it is some subset of an enormous dataset D that takes most of the working memory. I'd like to avoid solutions that entail adding more metadata to D.

Any hints on where to start looking or what to start reading would be greatly appreciated.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Two questions:

Every thing t has a different number of slots?

All the slots of a thing t have to be filled to satisfy to condition?