Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Got the call a little while ago. We are good to go on the car. I'll see about taking some pics / video of the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well'p. Apparently one of my coworkers going to Cisco Live US shares a name with someone on the no-fly list.

Thank god he has the patience of a saint.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Saw romeo and juliet at the globe. It was not a traditional performance. It was good

Nice. I saw the Tempest there, uh, fifteen years ago? Notable parts were Caliban "pissing", and later spitting smoked fish onto the pit audience. Immersive theatre!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Run the tank near empty, fill with 5 gallons of denatured alcohol.

Use E85 if it's available in your neck of the woods. Significantly cheaper. That's how my '90 RX-7 passed the last two years it needed to (high HC.)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kazinsal posted:

Well'p. Apparently one of my coworkers going to Cisco Live US shares a name with someone on the no-fly list.

Thank god he has the patience of a saint.

Tell him to ask for a redress # which will make border crossing hopefully less painful in the future.

One of my best friends had the same thing happen and whenever he flew/did a land crossing he had to plan on an additional 5 hours to clear poo poo up which happened each time. The best time was when he and his very pregnant wife were put in separate holding cells for hours until they could figure poo poo out.

To top it off, the guy is the most mild mannered, easy going guy on the face of the planet and is a elementary school principal.

Once he got his redress #, it went from happening each time he hit the border to not a single problem since.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Use E85 if it's available in your neck of the woods. Significantly cheaper. That's how my '90 RX-7 passed the last two years it needed to (high HC.)

That's a good idea. I'm in Phoenix and there's, like, one e85 pump at 7th/Indian school. Don't know about availability in other parts.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Hi guys. Not home. Enjoy the scenery.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
At the airport dropping off GF's kid, then heading out on a 6 hour drive down to vandenburg to hang at a beach and visit her ex husband's cousin (whom apparently picked her side over his, since he's a cheating dick) and watch the SpaceX launch tomorrow before driving back.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ilkhan posted:

At the airport dropping off GF's kid, then heading out on a 6 hour drive down to vandenburg to hang at a beach and visit her ex husband's cousin (whom apparently picked her side over his, since he's a cheating dick) and watch the SpaceX launch tomorrow before driving back.

I drove over to Titusville yesterday to watch a launch from up close, it was a great trip. Try and get a side-on view of the launch track if you can.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Cached Money posted:

Happy midsummer y'all scandi-goons, I'm up the country hanging out with some friends I've not met in years, having a blast.

Same, monkey man! I've been laid up with a 38.2C fever and no voice, so my midsummer has been "alone in apartment" in true goon fashion.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My girl and I built a birdhouse with some scrap pressure treated lumber. I got tired of waiting for her to paint it and just nailed it to her playset with the Paslode.

Sparrows in the spring. Boring.

Just got new neighbors -- Bluebirds. Super cool!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Enourmo posted:

I drove over to Titusville yesterday to watch a launch from up close, it was a great trip. Try and get a side-on view of the launch track if you can.
We're going to end up about 4 miles and just under the horizon from the pad. We'll still feel the power and sonic boom, from what I can tell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JUST GOT OFFERED A FREE FORD AEROSTAR

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Ok, that's much better than the PT Loser.

Build a Bigfoot Shuttle (Should skip to 6:52):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2u4NW5hNcE&t=412s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Ok, that's much better than the PT Loser.

"My mom has had this van in her driveway for like 5 years and wants it gone, do you want it?"

How many vehicles do you need to have a fleet? Because someone who commands a fleet is an Admiral right?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

How many vehicles do you need to have a fleet? Because someone who commands a fleet is an Admiral right?
I don't think there's actually a requirement for a minimum number. I've occasionally referred to mine as a fleet for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

I don't think there's actually a requirement for a minimum number. I've occasionally referred to mine as a fleet for a while.

I thought it was like, 6 carriers or something.

I gotta get me a cool boat hat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

I think once you're into double figures it's hard for people to argue the point.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I gotta get me a cool boat hat.

Six makes you a rear admiral. :smuggo:

I have only six if I count a trailer. Barely a squadron.

Hope you gentlegoons are enjoying a warm summer's Saturday as I most certainly am not.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Paint it like a dust buster

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

monsterzero posted:

I've had 58.
busted Rear Admiral indeed.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Lolling over here, thank you for a seriously-needed laugh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That tie rod doesn't know what the gently caress.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

That tie rod doesn't know what the gently caress.

How many turns does a 15-degree bend work out to when reinstalling the outer?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The built in defrag in Windows 10 always shows all of my spinning drives as having 0-1% fragmentation, and that they've been defragmented in the past week. Awesome, good to know the auto defrag is working.

After deleting >200GB of stuff on one drive early this week, I figured I'd run it manually. It completed in less than 5 seconds, showing 0% fragmentation. Wait, what? No, that can't be right.

Downloaded Defraggler. Took 3 loving days to defrag that drive (4TB) - it finally finished early this morning (that was a bit nerve wracking, since we got a pretty good storm overnight.. but the PC is on a UPS, at least). It was reporting 18% fragmentation when it started. Another drive is showing 39%. :stare:

The only upside is the drive showing 39% fragmentation only has ~120GB of stuff on it (1TB drive), and it's an internal drive (the 4TB is external, on USB 3.0), so it shouldn't take 3 days.. I hope.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I haven't thought about defragging a hard drive in 10 years.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Biodome posted:

Yeah, just like

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Biodome posted:

I haven't either, mainly because modern OS's are supposed to handle that poo poo for you.

Key phrase being "supposed to".

I doubt I'll see any real performance boost, since the big drive is purely movies/tv shows/music, but the 1TB has some applications on it, along with my Plex database.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 25, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I haven't either, mainly because modern OS's are supposed to handle that poo poo for you.

Key phrase being "supposed to".

I doubt I'll see any real performance boost, since the big drive is purely movies/tv shows/music, but the 1TB has some applications on it, along with my Plex database.

I have worked on at least 1-2k computers the past 2 years. You don't need to defrag anymore. Don't overcomplicate your life.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I think my gaming days are over for real now. I can't keep up with hardware.

I downloaded the new DooM today on the steam sale. 78 gigabytes. I did a double take. I might have to move it off my SSD if I run out of space in the future, or if I want to buy a second modern game.

My PC is barely below the minimum requirement, I just don't have the love for games that would prompt me to dedicate this kind of money and time to it anymore.

That said, even on an i3 4160 and GTX 750 Ti card it plays smooth and looks amazing. I accidentally triggered some high quality setting and it choked the playback to about 1 FPS, but drat the frames looked good. Like really good. I had to restart the game to get it to reconfigure. But at least now the games are smart enough to read your PC and set the game up to run right. And even at the low quality settings I'm forced to run at, it looks better than DooM³ ever did. I played about 4 minutes before my daughter reminded me that I needed to do something for her.

She's at her mom's now so tomorrow might just end up being a play DooM day with a junkyard break in between. I need a few things and I have some cores to return.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo.

My SSD is a whopping 120GB. And it's pretty close to full just from the OS and the few games I have on it.

Wonder how bad it would stutter on my i5 2500k and GTX 650 Ti :laffo:

everdave posted:

I have worked on at least 1-2k computers the past 2 years. You don't need to defrag anymore. Don't overcomplicate your life.

IT PLEASES MY OCD, OKAY? :colbert:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 25, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
After two hot hours of fighting an inner tie rod and three hours of lazy youtubing I finally came across a video where the presenter in a strange accent uttered the phrase "They use the red locktite..."
:doh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Defragging just shags your SSD turbo quickly. Don't do it.

In other news, after three weeks, I finally had a free, kid-free day. It's time.

And, a NEW SEASON OF HOUSE OF CARDS HOLY poo poo

My loving jam. I built my Lego shuttle a few years ago (and posted in genchat here in AI about it, too) watching..season 3 I think?

This fucker's huge!

The absolute best part is, even though you can't tell from this angle...

...it's loving 1:1 with the Up Goer Five poster!

It's also to scale with the previous Lego shuttle set. Kickass!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

LloydDobler posted:

I think my gaming days are over for real now. I can't keep up with hardware.

I downloaded the new DooM today on the steam sale. 78 gigabytes. I did a double take. I might have to move it off my SSD if I run out of space in the future, or if I want to buy a second modern game.

Yeah I gave up trying to download it last night when the ETA was "2+ days". I'll just have to leave my pc on over a couple of nights I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

monsterzero posted:

I have only six if I count a trailer. Barely a squadron.

Hope you gentlegoons are enjoying a warm summer's Saturday as I most certainly am not.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at, but I got a good laugh out of the commentary.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh good I'm not the only one OCD enough to throw labels on some switches. Except mine are glorious 80s almond toggles. I blame it on them being in the middle of a long wall instead of being near what they actually control. Or maybe it's just early dementia. :v:

Defragging just shags your SSD turbo quickly. Don't do it.

Oh gently caress no. That's what TRIM (and Samsung Magician) is for. I'm only running defrag on spinning drives (7.6 TB of storage in this PC, 120GB of it is SSD). Samsung Magician and SSD Life both report the drive is in good health (SSD Life claims it has over 9 years of use remaining, don't know how accurate that is, but Magician shows relatively low writes for its age, I think - it's 4 yrs old, shows 16TB of writes).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 25, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

...it's loving 1:1 with the Up Goer Five poster!

It's also to scale with the previous Lego shuttle set. Kickass!

Okay, so how much will it cost me to admit I'm a terrible need and want both these things?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Land Rover temp gauge seems to read quite high, but I think it's the regulator for the gauges causing it, rather than it being an actual cooling issue.

Of course, I completely forgot that if it causes the temp gauge to read high, it will also cause the fuel gauge to read high. Good thing I carry an extra gallon with me!

Landie community in action though, in the time it took me to get the can out and pour it in, a guy in a P38 had pulled over to ask if I needed a hand.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Land Rover temp gauge seems to read quite high, but I think it's the regulator for the gauges causing it, rather than it being an actual cooling issue.

Of course, I completely forgot that if it causes the temp gauge to read high, it will also cause the fuel gauge to read high. Good thing I carry an extra gallon with me!

Landie community in action though, in the time it took me to get the can out and pour it in, a guy in a P38 had pulled over to ask if I needed a hand.

come on you know better.

(it's totally the fuckin' gauge regulator or voltage regulator)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

come on you know better.

(it's totally the fuckin' gauge regulator or voltage regulator)
Oh, it almost certainly is the gauge regulator, yeah.

Ironically, I replaced it a couple of years ago because they were reading low.

• Locked thread