Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Did alright for about $30. All the rest of the stuff on my wishlist will either get cheaper or can wait.
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Dungeonmans
  • Enter the Gungeon

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Wolfenstein for Germans:
The region lock is only for 90 days for some reason and there is a complicated workaround based on that apparently.
1. Go to a country outside Germany, e.g. Sweden
2. Log into your steam account with the Swedish IP and change your payment method. Add a Swedish payment method, such as a Swedish credit card with a Swedish billing address.
Steam the changes your country.
3. Buy and activate Wolfenstein in Sweden.
4. Go back to Germany, try to start Wolfenstein. Steam won't let you. 5. Wait 90 days and try again, now it should work.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ok steam thread help me pick 3:
-devil may cry 4 special edition - $12.50
-shadow warrior 2 - $24
-furi - $10
-dragon's dogma - $12
-superhot -$15
-enter the gungeon - $7.50
-assassin's creed syndicate - $20
-wolfenstein the old blood - $10

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Hopper posted:

Wolfenstein for Germans:
The region lock is only for 90 days for some reason and there is a complicated workaround based on that apparently.
1. Go to a country outside Germany, e.g. Sweden
2. Log into your steam account with the Swedish IP and change your payment method. Add a Swedish payment method, such as a Swedish credit card with a Swedish billing address.
Steam the changes your country.
3. Buy and activate Wolfenstein in Sweden.
4. Go back to Germany, try to start Wolfenstein. Steam won't let you. 5. Wait 90 days and try again, now it should work.

At least censorship results in something positive - creativity

Cowcaster posted:

-shadow warrior 2 - $24
-dragon's dogma - $12
-superhot -$15

My opinion, of course. Couldnt go too wrong anyway you choose.

Deformed Church posted:

I've heard very mixed things about Dawn of War 3, but a lot of it seemed to be about it being the wrong kind of game or something. If I just want some more 40k explosions and aren't too worried about RTS genre purity, is it any good at all?
From what I understand:
DOW1: Its like Starcraft(ish)
DOW2: Its syndicate
DOW3: Its DOTA

Personally I liked DOW1 and 2 a lot. A lot of people hate one or the other because they are not what they expected, but I rather like each one having its own style.

strategery fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 24, 2017

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
The Majesty series sounds like it might be fun, but which one should I get? Majesty 1 seems to be universally loved, but would it be too dated for me to get into at this point? Majesty 2 looks great to me, but people aren't as hot on it for some reason. Would its shortcomings be apparent to a newcomer to the series?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Why even bother to pretend to be F2P when you have $180 packs of garbage?

I love how "the most helpful review" for the base game is a dude with 500 hours play time giving a negative review with "I repeat. Unless you have, and I am NOT exaggerating, at least $1,500 EVERY MONTH to spend on this game, you will HATE IT."
:shepicide:
PS. This isn't off-topic, that DLC is 10% off in summer sale, how great is that!

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

WMain00 posted:

I'd like to know which one is better - Redout or Formula Fusion?

Both have demos, even though the answer is:

This is all presuming you don't own a PS4 because if so then Wipeout Omega is the answer.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Are there any good other games where you play as a giant monster wrecking stuff? Basically I want Kaiju-A-GoGo, but not poo poo. Posting my steam review of Kaiju since it's easier than re-writing why it's poo poo:

Well there's Brigador, where you can pilot a giant mech with a GAU-8 and a howitzer that levels city blocks, all sorts of tanks and hovercraft, and a bulldozer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGTF_1J_Rvs

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I adore anything with city building or similar development gameplay and am looking to find some new stuff. I have the Anno games, Cities: Skylines, Sim City, Banished and Stardew Valley. I tried the games where you run a banana republic but they didnt grab me for some reason.

I thought Hearthlands looked good but wanted to check if anyone thought it was garbage. I was also considering Northgaard?

If anyone would recommend either of those or any other city building/sim games that would be great.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Steam emails:
"34 items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!"
"17 items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!"
"16 items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!"

I'm buying as fast as I can, stop reminding me!

I remember somebody pushing Neo ATLAS 1469 a few months ago.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/532690

Has anyone tried it out apart from the 8 reviewers? Sounds like a fun "make your own world" kind of thing, but is there any real replayability? Any difference between sticking to reasonable geography or letting everyone discover Atlantis?

Lethemonster posted:

I adore anything with city building or similar development gameplay and am looking to find some new stuff.
Have you considered doing the reverse of city building and playing Brigador?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lethemonster posted:

I adore anything with city building or similar development gameplay and am looking to find some new stuff. I have the Anno games, Cities: Skylines, Sim City, Banished and Stardew Valley. I tried the games where you run a banana republic but they didnt grab me for some reason.

I thought Hearthlands looked good but wanted to check if anyone thought it was garbage. I was also considering Northgaard?

If anyone would recommend either of those or any other city building/sim games that would be great.

Have you played the Rollercoaster Tycoons? 1,2 and 3 are fun if you like to build.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lethemonster posted:

Idk you seem to have the cream of the crops. I cant imagine you've got sick of them, those should all last like 200+ hrs each. I actually had to stop playing Anno 1404/C:S because it just ate so much time and is so good

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

I enjoyed this a lot less than The New Order. It feels a lot more generic and doesn't gave the same setting (it's set before the Nazis conquer the world). It's not a bad game but it's not special either.

Smappdi
Oct 12, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

I really want to check out Everspace 'cause it looks cool, but it's only 20% OFF. Is it worth risking it now or should I wait until it goes lower?

here's my take from earlier in the thread

Smappdi posted:

EVERSPACE looks beautiful and asks the question, "how much do you like dogfighting in space? because that's literally all we've got"

"roguelike elements" means "there are 3-5 bad guys guarding this destructible thing, maybe there are 0-10 neutral guys guarding a freighter, maybe you find a weapon that doesn't really feel too different from any other weapon you got so far"

when you die, you get to buy skill upgrades that don't feel like they add much to your pilot, OR you can save your pennies for a new ships that don't really feel that different from your standard ship either

the addition of a button that pauses the game then hides everything (but not the game logo) just nails the fact that the developers realized that they have a very pretty game with one pretty good trick, but not much else

guess what I'm saying is maybe don't buy it, though I bet it looks sexy in VR, but hey if you like space dogfighting ymmv

personally I returned it and got Strike Suit Zero and Road Redemption instead

the former was pretty much what I was looking for in a space combat game, and the latter is a spiritual successor to road rash and bonkers as hell

both lots of fun, highly reccomended

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I got the Disney infinity pack like an idiot and it appears that the first one doesn't have gamepad support which is crazy

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

My haul from this sale:

- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Black Mesa
- Life is strange complete season
- Space quest collection (1-6)
- Deus Ex - human revolution

I'll be reading this thread in case I find something nice for this sale or another. At least hoping for Shadow Tactics to drop to a decent price in next larger sale.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 24, 2017

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

strategery posted:

At least censorship results in something positive - creativity

My opinion, of course. Couldnt go too wrong anyway you choose.

From what I understand:
DOW1: Its like Starcraft(ish)
DOW2: Its syndicate
DOW3: Its DOTA

Personally I liked DOW1 and 2 a lot. A lot of people hate one or the other because they are not what they expected, but I rather like each one having its own style.

DOW3 borrows some MOBA elements but it's not a MOBA. The standard multiplayer mode's win condition is destroying the enemy core; but to do this you need to destroy 2 structures before you get to the core, first a shield generator (that enemies can garrison guys in), and then a super turret, then you can kill the core. These structures make the map paths (what RTS doesnt have paths/lanes?) more pronounced/like lanes. I really like it because it basically stops the standard RTS tactic of early rush, and helps pace out a match.

They recently patched in Annihilation Mode, which is the standard RTS kill all enemy structures to win.

There are hero units (that are really loving cool) but you cant customize them beyond one buff option (called doctrines) that affects your faction, not the hero unit itself. After a match is done they get XP that can unlock a currency bonus (for unlocking other heroes/doctrines), a new doctrine for your faction, and eventually a new skin.

You can choose up to 3 hero units to use in a match, with different "Elite Point" cost. You get elite points in a match at a standard rate (by time), with a bonus to that if you capture a specific resource point. Heroes cost different amounts of points, with the gigantic ones costing a lot of points, making you choose between a lower cost unit that can swing early fights or waiting for the endgame heroes if you can hold out long enough

https://fat.gfycat.com/DeliciousAptCockroach.webm

I think the core gameplay is a lot of fun but not enough content for the steam sale price. Green man gaming has it for less but then you cant refund it if you dont like it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xander77 posted:

As far as I can tell, our government is not particularly aware of the very concept of video games, much less of the need or ability to censor them. Physical copies of Wolfenstein were available in stores, and I assume the same will be true for Wolfenstein 2. It's just...

Someone (and it annoys me that I've asked the question repeatedly, yet no one actually knows who or how or why) - some person or group of persons on steam who decide "yeah, nah", and have no need to explain nor justify their decision, much less provide an avenue for appeal.

I did a vague Google search and I turned up some articles from an Israeli paper bitchi- er, kvetching about it during an interview with a Bethesda rep. If it wasn't the state I'd guess it might be Bethesda? I just have a hard time seeing steam / valve as doing anything at all ever for anything :v: that poo poo sucks though, Wolfenstein was super fun and W-2 should also be pretty good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

basalt posted:

I finally picked up the Shadowrun games after having them be constantly recommended to me, I'm looking forward to the unusual merging of traditional fantasy and sci-fi elements. I also picked up Sunless Sea and A House of Many Doors, both of which have intrigued me for some time, although I don't usually play games of this sort. Lastly, I bought EMPORIUM (link), because no Steam purchase of mine would be complete without a pretentious walking simulator.

Which reminds me, I bought a few games in GOG's own curiously timed summer sale, and received these. Please, free me from this burden!

Alan Wake's American Nightmare: CCQ36E9A61EC02E5T4
Rebel Galaxy: HUR36E9A61EC02E5I7

Bit of advice with Shadowrun--If you're not feeling the first one, Shadowrun Returns, then just skip it and go to Dragonfall. Better story, characters, just better game overall. When I completed the first one and moved to the second it felt like a world of difference.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Lethemonster posted:

:same:

I wanted to get a city builder in the sale and have not seen recommendations for any I have not already played. Giving Northgard a pass for now since it appears to lean more towards multi-player RTS while in early access. I was planning to get Life is Feudal: Forest Village (despite the Banished controversy), but it isn't on sale.

Community Inc. is an upcoming city builder. They released a free alpha to coincide with the sale on their website. It seems promising, if you can set aside the English as a second language tutorial writing.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

C.M. Kruger posted:

Well there's Brigador, where you can pilot a giant mech with a GAU-8 and a howitzer that levels city blocks, all sorts of tanks and hovercraft, and a bulldozer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGTF_1J_Rvs

Oh, good plan. I actually have Brigador from a previous sale and forgot about it. I still think the giant monster genre is under-served though.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
For anyone that picks up Darkest Dungeon who doesn't like tedium, do what I did and edit some of the config files to make the quest loot and gold 5-10x greater. The combat will still be tough and rewarding but you probably won't want to kill yourself as you build up your town and characters.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

quote:

If you’re Steam Level 5 and above, you’ll get a Steam Summer Sale trading card once you view all the items in your daily Steam Discovery Queue. You can continue and go through your Discovery Queue two more times each day to get a maximum of three card drops each day.

Did they change the bolded part? I could have sworn I could only get one on the first two days

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Smirr posted:

Did they change the bolded part? I could have sworn I could only get one on the first two days
I got 13 cards the first day in one queue.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Will the flash sales and daily deals activate once I complete a sticker book?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Which Dead Rising(s) should I get if I haven't played any of them before? I hear good things about the original and 2: Off The Record - basically, should I start with the first or second?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is base Fallout 4 sufficiently dumb to be entertaining?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

No.

(Probably yes)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Have you played the Rollercoaster Tycoons? 1,2 and 3 are fun if you like to build.

Also there is an open source engine for Rollercoaster Tycoon now which, provided you have the base game(s) will let you do things like "play in modern resolutions" and "fast forward".

https://openrct2.org/

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Leck posted:

Which Dead Rising(s) should I get if I haven't played any of them before? I hear good things about the original and 2: Off The Record - basically, should I start with the first or second?
If you pick one, get Off the Record.

I'd say it goes OTR > DR1 > DR2 qualitywise. Though DS1 did have a certain charm to it that was lost in the sequel (and that OTR reclaimed partially)

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

And I wasnt gonna buy much this steam sale.

And then Saints Row goes on sale for 4 bucks a pop.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Cowcaster posted:

-devil may cry 4 special edition - $12.50
-shadow warrior 2 - $24
-furi - $10
-dragon's dogma - $12
-superhot -$15
-enter the gungeon - $7.50
-assassin's creed syndicate - $20

If Wolfenstein was a fiver i'd buy that. Maybe Superhot for the same if you have a VR headset.

And that's it from your list.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Trampy Vampy posted:

The Majesty series sounds like it might be fun, but which one should I get? Majesty 1 seems to be universally loved, but would it be too dated for me to get into at this point? Majesty 2 looks great to me, but people aren't as hot on it for some reason. Would its shortcomings be apparent to a newcomer to the series?

Majesty 2 is ok but it has some weird difficulty spikes, easy levels followed by ridiculously hard levels, followed by easy ones again, I've not played 1 so can't help with that.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Trampy Vampy posted:

It's a shame they've never released a sequel to the excellent and timeless Majesty 1.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I believe there's an HD update of Majesty. That's a good game.

e: There, in fact, is.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

SelenicMartian posted:

Did you like the shooting, exploring, digging through trash bits of Fallout 3/NV? If so 4's got all that without the ugly rear end colour filters. If you've got the time and the inclination to play another fallout go for it.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Any opinions on MORDHEIM: CITY OF THE DAMNED? I love XCOM and am moderately friendly with the Warhammer universe. Reviews are high-mixed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Lagomorphic posted:

Did you like the shooting, exploring, digging through trash bits of Fallout 3/NV? If so 4's got all that without the ugly rear end colour filters. If you've got the time and the inclination to play another fallout go for it.
How much trash are we taking?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SelenicMartian posted:

How much trash are we taking?

So loving much. Just lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is base Fallout 4 sufficiently dumb

Yes.

If you played Fallout 3 and thought "Man there's way too much RPG and important decisions in this barely-an RPG loaded with inconsequential decisions in this shabbily designed world" or played Fallout New Vegas and thought "This would play so much better if I could get rid of this complex story, these interesting characters and this superbly crafted world", then Fallout 4 will fill that niche.

To be fair it's fun enough so long as you don't want an RPG in mechanics or story and just want to shoot poo poo in an open post-apoc world with clumsy half-assed base-building/crafting mechanics shoe-horned in off the back of the novelty of survival crafting games just as everyone was getting sick of them.

So actually yeah I take it all back, you were right; dumb enough to be entertaining is actually spot on.

• Locked thread