Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

There Bias Two posted:

What is your point? It's lost in all the sarcasm.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a clinical disorder and being a mental patient raised by a cult does not make you competent to diagnose it, especially in someone you have never met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ogmius815 posted:

Narcissistic personality disorder is a clinical disorder and being a mental patient raised by a cult does not make you competent to diagnose it, especially in someone you have never met.

whew, glad you cleared that up

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ogmius815 posted:

Why are you bringing PJ into this? She's far from the only person to mention it, and there are a long line of actual professionals who would agree.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BrookingsInst/status/878058787957088256

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Somewhere, someone read this and thought, "drat, we should at least be able to get that up to 1 in 3."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

Somewhere, someone read this and thought, "drat, we should at least be able to get that up to 1 in 3."

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Exactly what would have been worse than Trump winning the election and nominating a Secretary of Education that wants to gut public education, an EPA head that doesn't believe in climate change, a racist drug-war hawk as the attorney general, and (with Congress) pushing through a health care bill that will result in millions more uninsured and thousands more dying every year? No, my friends, we are already in the worst timeline.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trump absolutely has narissistic personality disorder, any psychiatrist you talk to will agree, and they have much more information than they would get if they met him

the goldwater rule is more to protect psychiatry from being a target of the republican party than a real issue with sufficent information for a diagnosis

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

But it's so clear that Trump is high on the narrativeist narcissist compaction supply.

Again, as mentioned before, one really shouldn't. Even as someone who directly works with narcissist patients on a regular basis and recalls the things Trump does as something one of our most prominent cases did I'd still be reluctant to begin any kind of diagnosis over videos or testimony.

But at this point he's been doing this poo poo for over a year in the public view and looking back at his history of relationships, business decisions and statements on most subjects I'd almost be willing to break that rule. There is nothing indicating this is a temporary affliction, it is absolutely affecting his personal life and the only thing meeting him in person would do is give me a feel for how he responds to a set of questions you might as well supplant with other questions already asked of him in various interviews or recordings. Narcissists tend not to care if you find out they are narcissists (or at least pretend not to) so they don't really have a tendency to hide it no matter if they are in a doctor's office or on the podium.

I'm not entirely sure what doing a complete set of tests on him would accomplish at this point beyond figuring out what type of dementia he might have, to give appropriate medication to slow progression should that be the source of his woes. The fact he's unwell is plain enough to see.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

trump absolutely has narissistic personality disorder, any psychiatrist you talk to will agree, and they have much more information than they would get if they met him

the goldwater rule is more to protect psychiatry from being a target of the republican party than a real issue with sufficent information for a diagnosis

Technically, some dispute that he has a "disorder" because it arguably isn't harming his personal success.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

People with brain differences see and experience the world differently. It may not be obvious to them why you don't.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Technically, some dispute that he has a "disorder" because it arguably isn't harming his personal success.

have they seen his approval ratings i mean come on

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://www.vox.com/2017/6/23/15862130/fox-news-trump-voters-dark-senate-health-care-bill-obamacare-repeal

juan williams might be the biggest glutton for punishment in the entire country

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's...far from true, but also depends on how you define success. Even though he's rich, he's had a lot of failed relationships with people, and causes legal troubles for himself on a weekly basis. I suspect he's a deeply miserable individual even though he'd never outwardly admit it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

There Bias Two posted:

That's...far from true, but also depends on how you define success. Even though he's rich, he's had a lot of failed relationships with people, and causes legal troubles for himself on a weekly basis. I suspect he's a deeply miserable individual even though he'd never outwardly admit it.

There are also weekly reports that he spends a large proportion of his time screaming at people for things they don't control, which can't be healthy for anyone involved.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

NoDamage posted:

Exactly what would have been worse than Trump winning the election and nominating a Secretary of Education that wants to gut public education, an EPA head that doesn't believe in climate change, a racist drug-war hawk as the attorney general, and (with Congress) pushing through a health care bill that will result in millions more uninsured and thousands more dying every year? No, my friends, we are already in the worst timeline.

Mobs of hardcore right wingers armed to the teeth out in the streets burning down anything they deem liberal/leftist because they feel the Obama administration stole the election might have been worse. We will never know.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

skylined! posted:

As I mentioned before, it IS affecting him, just not in terms of his political work. Well, more or less.

Specifically in terms of his family and wife/former wives. It is pretty obvious Melania hates him with a passion, his family tend not to spend much if any time with him beyond work when they have to see him or interact with him (and even then he tends to screw them over when a decision they make goes against his particular whim of the day) and his plethora of divorces and scandals with groping speak for themselves. And as far as friends, I don't recall him having any that can't be seen as business associates in some fashion. The fact that he has the money to make sure that doesn't affect his life in other ways is more of a technicality rather than a dismissal of the disorder.

Edit: As for if he's miserable: Pretty much every single month brings another report of him yelling at people as people mentioned, sitting around depressed when something doesn't go his way and generally being low-energy aside from conferences and rallies (not meaning that as an insult, just saying him being angry and sad will slowly drain his reserves). He's not happy where he is, but I am fairly sure he thinks he'd be miserable if he ever just gave this job up instead of going for at least a full 4 years.

Just like the patient I once had who said they wished they'd never adopted their daughter (for failing to convince their daughter's cancer-sick husband to come visit her) Trump is not happy and would do better if he could just let go of his constant sickly desire to be in control and the guy on top.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 24, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

There Bias Two posted:

Oh absolutely. I'm just raising the technical point. As far as I can tell it's the only legitimate objection to the diagnosis.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

i am a maedical professional, and in my professional medical opinion trump is a narcissist with early onset demential thank you

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

skylined! posted:

The worst President is still a fantastic success by his very act of becoming President.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

3 in 5 seems fair.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Mobs of hardcore right wingers armed to the teeth out in the streets burning down anything they deem liberal/leftist because they feel the Obama administration stole the election might have been worse. We will never know.

That would have been great, actually. Armed right wing insurrection would have been an incredible gift and it wouldn't even equal one year of death under a Republican health plan so you can't wring your hands about that.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

boner confessor posted:

i am a maedical professional, and in my professional medical opinion trump is a narcissist with early onset demential thank you

Can it really be considered early onset? Dude's old.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I love that there is a sponsored trending tag on twitter for my area to tell Heller to vote yes, but all the people who are using it are saying "gently caress off, vote no".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gently caress that, Obama did nothing because that's what Obama always did. He should've gone scorched earth against the GOP the moment McConnell made his threat.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

gently caress that, Obama did nothing because that's what Obama always did. He should've gone scorched earth against the GOP the moment McConnell made his threat.

There have been countless derails pointing out how nothing said by a Democrat matters or is treated as truth by not only the right, but the left as well. What do you honestly think would be the end result of Obama putting out all this information in 2016? Here's a hint, it will not be what you hoped for, especially considering at the time one of the candidates for President was actively screeching about the election being rigged against him. To put it in another context, what was the initial reaction to most of the people in America, and on this forum, even, when we were told that Russia may have attempted to sway the election?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 24, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/878437465282953216

I feel weird even considering this, but was demonstrating he's eating pork a calculated tactic?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Reminder.

He banned state workers from saying the gw words and the c-word[insert pun joke about the land going seaward here] , his wife owns the drug testing company that did the drug testing for gov. benefits program, and he's literally the tall skinny bald o evil comic villain.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder.

He banned state workers from saying the gw words and the c-word[insert pun joke about the land going seaward here] , his wife owns the drug testing company that did the drug testing for gov. benefits program, and he's literally the tall skinny bald o evil comic villain.

Even the goddamn GOP legislature had a lot of fun trying to make state employees say the magic words.

:v:: "So, uh, what would you call what happens in Miami during mild storms?"

:geno:: "...Nuisance flooding."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/878437465282953216

I feel weird even considering this, but was demonstrating he's eating pork a calculated tactic?

I'm trying my damnedest to come up with a blander looking meal and I can't
Get your cuisine together United States

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Healthcare is though is literal life an death!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Pork is just tasty man there's nothing to be done.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Why are you bringing PJ into this? She's far from the only person to mention it, and there are a long line of actual professionals who would agree.

Somewere around the "I would be one of the most healthy presidents ever" I started to realize he might actually have a mental problem.

Dude is fat as hell doesn't seem fit by any measurement. Why would he even say that? It's not even something he needed to lie about.

Either that, or he's just being a populist and he knows his supporters will cheer if he says what they want to hear.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 24, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's a pork tenderloin sandwich. I know Indiana considers it the state food and I bet Iowa is much the same, so it's like bragging that you are in memphis eating BBQ, as ridiculous as that may sound.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

HootTheOwl posted:

Healthcare is though is literal life an death!

You can't say that though bc it's mean and you'll break their poor Republican hearts

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Pretty sure the anti-Heller push is backfiring because like 90% of everyone using the hashtag is telling him to vote no.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Calaveron posted:

A bland meal for a bland individual.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I LOVE Trump's constant supervillainesque "No one can stop me!! Mnya heh heh heh" taunts! Like it is literally my favorite thing about all of this poo poo is that he has just, repeatedly, stood up in public and screamed "Then why haven't you stopped me yet?? MmmmmmnnnnnnnYAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA!!" AND NO ONE HAS STOPPED HIM YET! Holy poo poo how cartoonishly villainous can someone actually be in real life??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pretty sure the anti-Heller push is backfiring because like 90% of everyone using the hashtag is telling him to vote no.

Good news, engagement with the #hellerVoteYes tag is up 10,500%! No need to look at the tweets, Mr. Heller, let's get to voting.

• Locked thread