Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Wolfsbane posted:

I imagine this one being written in crayon, or possibly turning up scrawled on walls throughout the fortress.

Better yet, its an elven work, and by the name of the site, probably an Elven Sanctuary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Start Your Day with Rage should be de-fictionalised as a self help book.

One of my dwarves just made a nice artifact steel mace with an image of itself on it.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 23, 2017

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Wait is Dwarf Therapist still not compatible with the 64-bit version of the game?

I've been playing the 32bit version for a while now, but it seems whenever I get a sizeable siege I cant make it through it without crashing. I'm not sure if this is a memory issue or possibly a dfhack issue.

Therapist is like the only reason i've stuck with the 32 bit, it's hard to play without it once you've become accustom to it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Imapanda posted:

Wait is Dwarf Therapist still not compatible with the 64-bit version of the game?

I've been playing the 32bit version for a while now, but it seems whenever I get a sizeable siege I cant make it through it without crashing. I'm not sure if this is a memory issue or possibly a dfhack issue.

Therapist is like the only reason i've stuck with the 32 bit, it's hard to play without it once you've become accustom to it.

They haven't figured out the memory addresses, I guess.

Anyways DFHack has their own 'Dwarf Therapist' thing called Dwarf Manipulator build into it.
Or just go with autolabor or labormanager for DFHack to automatically assign labors.

labormanager is more for a job to be done NOW. It could be your brand new adult dwarf starting off with adamantium armorsmithing for example.
autolabor tries to pick the best available dwarf to do a particular job.

autolabor-artisans helps it so only the best dwarves in a particular labor will do those.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's a 64 bit version of DT, you just have to go looking for it. I don't remember where I found it, either here or the DT thread at bay12.

Edit: Here http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12743

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 24, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's fun when a siege actually takes your trapped back door entrance:

Yes, please keep walking across the 1 tile wide path over a deep gap, I put stone traps over every square (wasn't able to finish though before the siege came), even if they dodge the stone they'll fall down the hole instead. Only one goblin who was good at jumping has made it across so far, but he got caught by a cage trap.

Bottom of the trap, a godforsaken melange of goblin blood and vomit with clouds of miasma, abandoned armor and weapons and broken bones. It'll take some time to clean up when these guys finally give up and go home.

I don't really like how the game lets enemies simply absorb deep falls through armor. If you fall at terminal velocity, that ought to just kill you, armor or no armor. At least it should break their bones.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Shibawanko posted:

I don't really like how the game lets enemies simply absorb deep falls through armor. If you fall at terminal velocity, that ought to just kill you, armor or no armor. At least it should break their bones.

through a series of idiosyncrasies in the combat system, what makes a fall killer is not how hard the surface is, but rather how dense the patch of floor you're falling on is

lining the pit with plates of solid iron would about triple the amount of force that the fall exerts on goblins compared to most common rocks, moreso for the heavier metals like lead and gold

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or just keep digging down til you hit magma

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

scamtank posted:

through a series of idiosyncrasies in the combat system, what makes a fall killer is not how hard the surface is, but rather how dense the patch of floor you're falling on is

lining the pit with plates of solid iron would about triple the amount of force that the fall exerts on goblins compared to most common rocks, moreso for the heavier metals like lead and gold

Oh yeah I remember reading about that. I put some copper spikes at the bottom instead for them to fall on. The siege just left by the way, my brave army went out the gate and severed the heads, ears and individual teeth of the final stragglers.

I think I'll add a lever triggered spike room to that hallway too to weed out more invaders, maybe a drowning chamber too.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The problem with spike pits is some gobo might get really lucky and end up surviving the fall and gaining godly defence skills. Or does that not happen anymore?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

The problem with spike pits is some gobo might get really lucky and end up surviving the fall and gaining godly defence skills. Or does that not happen anymore?

Sounds like a good day.... for marksdwarfs.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Pharnakes posted:

The shaft of enlightenment is no more, sadly.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

I really wanted to see who won this competition, so I looked up the settlement.

Turns out it was Rig̣th Cometgate, a name fitting for his athletic prowess, because it seems like he won every contest the settlement put on.

This goes down for several pages.

Just one year after winning another competition, Rig̣th died peacefully of old age. However, if you'll notice, the writer of True Competition was Kivish Brasshead, a necromancer that tried and failed to conquer Rig̣th for over 30 years. He wrote it the same year Rig̣th passed away.

Further research tells us Kivish was actually the king at the time of the spear throwing competition. He continued in this capacity for 36 years, until Kivish encountered a human necromancer. Kivish would continue to write books for the next century, but one stands out.

You can guess who won that competition. For whatever reason, this enormously powerful, immortal being fondly remembers a plump helmet athlete from over a century ago. He cares enough about it to speculate hidden meanings and classify one such competition as true competition.

According to the DF wiki, 42 is a pretty young age for a plump helmet man to die. Maybe seeing his old rival begin to get feeble and sickly created the obsession over mortality,. Maybe he just wanted to become more powerful and finally win a competition. Either way, somewhere in this world I've generated, there's an old mushroom man in some dark tower who can't let go of a forgotten plump helmet man athlete named Rig̣th Cometgate.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

Turns out it was Rig̣th Cometgate, a name fitting for his athletic prowess, because it seems like he won every contest the settlement put on.

Just one year after winning another competition, Rig̣th died peacefully of old age. However, if you'll notice, the writer of True Competition was Kivish Brasshead, a necromancer that tried and failed to conquer Rig̣th for over 30 years. He wrote it the same year Rig̣th passed away.

Further research tells us Kivish was actually the king at the time of the spear throwing competition. He continued in this capacity for 36 years, until Kivish encountered a human necromancer. Kivish would continue to write books for the next century, but one stands out.

You can guess who won that competition. For whatever reason, this enormously powerful, immortal being fondly remembers a plump helmet athlete from over a century ago. He cares enough about it to speculate hidden meanings and classify one such competition as true competition.

According to the DF wiki, 42 is a pretty young age for a plump helmet man to die. Maybe seeing his old rival begin to get feeble and sickly created the obsession over mortality,. Maybe he just wanted to become more powerful and finally win a competition. Either way, somewhere in this world I've generated, there's an old mushroom man in some dark tower who can't let go of a forgotten plump helmet man athlete named Rig̣th Cometgate.

I love this game.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

This is awesome

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Your game created the plot to a Yukio Mishima novel

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

Well, the plump helmet man was probably not born the instant history began. It's hard to have civilizations and stuff when everybody's a baby.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

This is at the end of a second big siege on my fort, my trap hallway took out a lot of them but not enough, so i took out my squads through the front door to take out one of their squads which was still lingering out in the open. One of my old legendary miners was part of it, he had been injured in a cavein and crutchwalking for most of the game, he was in a special miner squad armed in steel and with steel picks.

After they'd killed the goblins outside, i decided to take the wounded back to the hospital and get everybody back inside, but because this guy was so slow and badly injured he didn't make it in time before the rest of the siege caught up to him and i was forced to pull up the drawbridge with him outside.

He then proceeded to beat the poo poo out of 3 trolls, decapitating two with his pick and whacking the third over the head so hard it fractured his skull, after which the troll tried to wrestle with him and further injured him as it slowly lost consciousness and died, then I took this screenshot. Just a few seconds later the miner would finally get killed by a goblin with a spear.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Miners use their mining skill as a weapon skill, and picks are actually very good weapons for cleaving and decapitating.

Having an army of nothing but miners for melee is a valid tactic.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I can't wait until goblins show up to my fort with an army demanding an artifact ramie socks.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 10, 2017

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Reminds me of an old (slightly modded) 40d fort I had where a siege of orcs showed up, most wearing some armor with an image of one of my fort's artifacts on it. I mentally categorized them as crusaders doing exactly that, although obviously the mechanics for this weren't yet in existence.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I wish I were more excited about this upcoming release :smith:

Despite having played and been a fan of the game for like a decade, a couple years back I finally reached some kind of breaking point in my ability to deal with all the unfriendly systems, interfaces, and technical issues (mostly performance)

So while all the army and artifact stuff sounds real neat, I assume I'll need a decent sized fort to make any use of it, and that just doesn't sound very appealing!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

WarpDogs posted:

I wish I were more excited about this upcoming release :smith:

Despite having played and been a fan of the game for like a decade, a couple years back I finally reached some kind of breaking point in my ability to deal with all the unfriendly systems, interfaces, and technical issues (mostly performance)

So while all the army and artifact stuff sounds real neat, I assume I'll need a decent sized fort to make any use of it, and that just doesn't sound very appealing!

Have you tried microforts? It takes a certain level of baseline knowledge about the game, and some modding knowledge to enable features normally based on population, and gives you less room for error, but you can have a very small military that's still quite effective, and the same goes for division of labor and most other aspects of the game.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 11, 2017

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Yeah, my usual fort size is less than 30 or 40 dwarves, and I agree that's its a lot more manageable. I guess I just assume the sending of troops out and about will be a big hit if your military is small, but maybe not

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, my usual fort size is less than 30 or 40 dwarves, and I agree that's its a lot more manageable. I guess I just assume the sending of troops out and about will be a big hit if your military is small, but maybe not

Suggestion: send out only an elite assassin or crusader instead of squads. Deck out one single dwarf at a time in full Masterwork Steel with a hallowed artifact or adamantine weapon and set them loose to recover artifacts, rescue prisoners, and kill elves.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RandomMagus posted:

Suggestion: send out only an elite assassin or crusader instead of squads. Deck out one single dwarf at a time in full Masterwork Steel with a hallowed artifact or adamantine weapon and set them loose to recover artifacts, rescue prisoners, and kill elves.

Does this work? I know that while the dwarf in question is actually simulated in focus as a player-controlled citizen or adventurer, or as an AI-controlled enemy combatant, a thusly clad dwarf can cut through small armies. But does the army expedition system work like that? I was under the impression that things outside the player-focused area worked on greatly reduced logic; i.e., wars always being won by attackers.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The existing system is like that yes. From the posts about expeditions it sounds like at least they will have a bit more logic than the usual main world sim stuff.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh neat, that would be cool

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Toadys Twitter has gone mysteriously silent for some time.

Probably just attending conventions or mucking about with the particularly nasty innards of fortress mode tho.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Here's the latest devlog. Looks like he's debugging offsite interactions.

Toady One posted:

Highlight this week was making sure other dwarven civilizations can in fact retaliate if you decide to bother them. So I sent my expedition leader by himself across the plains to the next mountain range to raid a mountain home. He did not survive. The next season, eight well-armed dwarves and two of their goblin buddies attacked my remaining six dwarves by the wagon. So one needs to be careful!

Current project is turning all of my dwarves into children, letting them be kidnapped by goblins, and then growing them back up so I can send them off on rescue squads.

Toady's really milking that age devtool.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Starting a new succession fort in imp zone, post in this thread if you wanna be dwarfed or play a year: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814720&pagenumber=7#lastpost

This time its vanilla DF, so the fort won't break from masterwork's buggyness

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826819

post here actually

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So Three toe is getting married. Honestly did not see that coming.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Three toe is ecstatic. He has recently been engaged in combatmarriage.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Low Desert Punk posted:

somehow this game manages to have really interesting world-building despite most of it being procedural generation. that's drat impressive and this whole story is awesome

edit: maybe he wanted to train really hard then bring Rig̣th back to life so he could finally beat him in a competition

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 14, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My dudes murdered an elite marksgoblin, who turned out to be carrying a book, which turned out to be his autobiographical account of some other goblin's having apprenticed under him. The writing is quite vicious. :black101:

The dwarves hauled it off to the Golden Library, where it's being passed around and read by pretty much everyone.

e: I have 10 scholars and they have produced a grand total of 1 book in 10 years, lazy assholes.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Eric the Mauve posted:

My dudes murdered an elite marksgoblin, who turned out to be carrying a book, which turned out to be his autobiographical account of some other goblin's having apprenticed under him. The writing is quite vicious. :black101:

The dwarves hauled it off to the Golden Library, where it's being passed around and read by pretty much everyone.

e: I have 10 scholars and they have produced a grand total of 1 book in 10 years, lazy assholes.

I've never had a scholar write a loving book ever. not once. even with all the materials and traveling dudes telling stories in the pub. i'm so jealous of all these cool books and scrolls being written

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

When I fiddled with a library it didn't start producing things until I had several almost-completely-idle scribes and a whole lot of writing materials, and it went through several years of only producing copies of existing books before producing any books of its own.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

I've never had a scholar write a loving book ever. not once. even with all the materials and traveling dudes telling stories in the pub. i'm so jealous of all these cool books and scrolls being written

Have you been linking stockpiles to your craft shops? In my (limited) experience a lot of the time the biggest issue is that materials are being stored in the library but aren't finished to write on and they can only be finished by a craftshop that wasn't assigned specific stockpiles (since the shop then ONLY looks at those piles)

I'm remembering from like a year and a half ago tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gonna try some adventure mode tonight.

I see I can be a Saltwater Crocodile Man so this is gonna be the tits

Or terrible idk yet