Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Heffer posted:

Any opinions on MORDHEIM: CITY OF THE DAMNED? I love XCOM and am moderately friendly with the Warhammer universe. Reviews are high-mixed.

They had a free weekend a month or two or three back and it was similar to XCOM and definitely had tactics, but it was a lot looser and I didn't particularly care for its movement/attack/actions approach. The company management also didn't do a lot for me either.

That said, all of what I said is extremely personal feedback and I could easily see you enjoying it if you really like XCOM-alikes. You should probably look into some LP videos on YouTube to give you a feel for it. It's a good game, it's just not for me.

e: Also, considering it's the same price, you might look into Darkest Dungeon instead. It's much higher regarded from everything I can tell and it's a similar management/combat/consequences experience. But it also plays way different, being 2D and etc.

ee: Oh, you might like Invisible Inc. if you haven't tried that one yet. It's absolutely phenomenal and it's as close to XCOM as you can get pretty much.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Batch #2:

Giveaway #2: INSIDE

first person to respond who wants INSIDE will get a PM with a humble gift link

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Daily reminder:

- The prices now are the prices until the end
- There is no daily/flash deal
- Do not buy single player games that have DLC but are not available as complete edition yet.

The last one includes Fallout 4.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Batch #2:

Giveaway #2: INSIDE

first person to respond who wants INSIDE will get a PM with a humble gift link

I would like INSIDE :)

e: Thank you very much!

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 24, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Hey, I also just bought Headlander and Milkmaid of the Milky Way. :) (Plus like thirty other games, but that's beside the point.) The latter is the first thing I'm going to play through, looks really charming and lovely.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This is a bizarre request, but are there any good "trading" games? What I mean is that I recently reinstalled the old Pirates Of the Caribbean game and have just been running back forth between islands trading goods and making profits. For some stupid reason, this is fun to me.

I've got the X series but I've never been able to get into it because of its slow startups. Freelancer would be cool but it's not on Steam. Anyone tried Windward? It looks like Pirates! but not half as good and unfinished.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hopper posted:

Wolfenstein for Germans:
The region lock is only for 90 days for some reason and there is a complicated workaround based on that apparently.
1. Go to a country outside Germany, e.g. Sweden
2. Log into your steam account with the Swedish IP and change your payment method. Add a Swedish payment method, such as a Swedish credit card with a Swedish billing address.
Steam the changes your country.
3. Buy and activate Wolfenstein in Sweden.
4. Go back to Germany, try to start Wolfenstein. Steam won't let you. 5. Wait 90 days and try again, now it should work.

That sounds like a completely reasonable effort.

Edit: Trip report game #2 - forgot I bought it along with The Turing Test, so I had to play it before I can buy the next game.

Virginia [EUR 2.49]
Only buy if you enjoy Walking Simulators without any real puzzles, decision making or dialogue(!) and just minimal interaction. The story is quite incoherent and gets literally trippy towards the end. Steam reviews have praised it for being twinpeaky and lynchian. So if that is your cup of tea, you might enjoy it a bit more than I did. It's not terrible, but if you're expecting more than I just described, you will very likely be disappointed.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 24, 2017

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

mcbexx posted:

I like how these detailed instructions use Sweden, since they skipped World war II and now they get to do their part.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would just pirate the game

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Anybody have thoughts on Cryptark?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Captain Magic posted:

Deffo buying it on one of the next sales for 75% off.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hopper posted:

The last one includes Fallout 4.
No piece of F4's DLC seems worth getting though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Captain Magic posted:

its cool

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SelenicMartian posted:

No piece of F4's DLC seems worth getting though.
people say far harbor is cool. but those people also bought f4 and enjoyed it enough to buy dlc for it so i dunno if i trust it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This is a bizarre request, but are there any good "trading" games? What I mean is that I recently reinstalled the old Pirates Of the Caribbean game and have just been running back forth between islands trading goods and making profits. For some stupid reason, this is fun to me.

I've got the X series but I've never been able to get into it because of its slow startups. Freelancer would be cool but it's not on Steam. Anyone tried Windward? It looks like Pirates! but not half as good and unfinished.
you might like elite: dangerous, it's about a 75/25 split between the X series and Freelancer. Problem is, once you've done one trading mission you've seen what every single trading mission has to offer. It's also got a bunch of other types of missions! Except, once you've done one of each of them, you've also seen everything they have to offer.

I have no idea if it's on steam sale though so this may be a moot point

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Elite Dangerous / Rebel Galaxy / Euro Truck Simulator 2 all probably fit the bill.. Elite is the most complicated and futzy of the 3 so maybe avoid it if you don't like the X games. ETS and Rebel Galaxy are great and fairly simplistic.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Maybe check out Dawn of Discovery/Anno. A lot of trading in those games, though it is a little less hands on.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Here to plug the excellent Unexplored at 20% off ($7.99 US) Great roguelite, basically real time Brogue. Awesome level generation, lots of surprises. Highly recommended if you like traditional roguelikes, or want a roguelite that's not a shoot em up.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Rebel Galaxy is basically Pirates! in space without the mini games. The combat is even pirates naval style. No boarding though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Windward is - a bit meh. I passed a cheerful few hours in it but it's shallow as a puddle.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Heffer posted:

Any opinions on MORDHEIM: CITY OF THE DAMNED? I love XCOM and am moderately friendly with the Warhammer universe. Reviews are high-mixed.

That game is RNG turned up to 11 but you love XCOM so that wouldnt be a problem for you I guess. Its an ok game for 10 bux

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

Yeah it's super complicated bullshit. Luckily I am in Sweden regularly, due to my sis living there. If I am ever there and Wolfenstein is on sale for like 5€ I might grab it, but if I am not, I'll just not play it, 422 games in my steam list is already plenty.

Also:
I bought Everspace. It is a good fun game for playing in short sessions, as it auto saves whenever you jump. I played it for 5 hours so far and it is still fun, but I can already see the sameyness of the environments/upgrades etc. Not that that is a bad thing., but if you have a low tolerance of that kind of thing, maybe this isn't for you.

Question:
Is Hollow Knight harder than Ori? I liked Ori and haven't finished it yet but the escape sequences...oh god.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Awesome! posted:

people say far harbor is cool. but those people also bought f4 and enjoyed it enough to buy dlc for it so i dunno if i trust it

Basically if you enjoyed FO4 you'll probably enjoy Far Harbor. Nuka World has it's moments and tries some new stuff but feels decidedly undercooked. I'd still recommend it to people that liked FO4 in general, but it's certainly not a must buy.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Try Spice Road or Port Royale 2 for trading games.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Far Harbor feels like a DLC for the end of the game. It's high level. Nuka World is good if you're playing as a Raider, because about halfway through that DLC they'll make you do something to continue that you'll hate if you made any other affiliations. They want you to take over the Commonwealth, killing anyone in your settlements. I got a good time out of it until that point, at which point I just killed every raider in that map. The other stuff is just to make more stuff at your settlements, and to make a robot buddy for a companion. You should get those when you start the game, because they don't do much after you start building stuff already. And then there's another one that lets you build your own vault, which is just a huge sandbox for settlement building basically.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Reminder to check your Humble Bundle unclaimed keys before buying anything on Steam.

Made that mistake a couple of times but I'm too lazy to add all the bundle trash to my account. :negative:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Thoughts on Interplanetary vs Empyrion - Galactic Survival vs Offworld Trading Company?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Trampy Vampy posted:

The Majesty series sounds like it might be fun, but which one should I get? Majesty 1 seems to be universally loved, but would it be too dated for me to get into at this point? Majesty 2 looks great to me, but people aren't as hot on it for some reason. Would its shortcomings be apparent to a newcomer to the series?

Majesty 1 is fun and challenging and just looks a little dated, so if OG Warcraft graphics don't turn you off, go for it. Majesty 2 WOULD be an improvement in every way, but the difficulty gets completely unreasonable halfway through the campaign, to the point that it really ruins the whole thing.

Lethemonster posted:

I adore anything with city building or similar development gameplay and am looking to find some new stuff. I have the Anno games, Cities: Skylines, Sim City, Banished and Stardew Valley. I tried the games where you run a banana republic but they didnt grab me for some reason.

I thought Hearthlands looked good but wanted to check if anyone thought it was garbage. I was also considering Northgaard?

If anyone would recommend either of those or any other city building/sim games that would be great.

Imperium Romanum and its sequel Grand Ages: Rome are very chill and easy to get into. Should be cheap, too, but I'm phone posting and can't check for sure. If you're feeling something Sim Towerish there's also Project Highrise which I thought was even better than its inspiration.

I reviewed a whole bunch of builder and sim games last year and linked them somewhere in this thread, check my post history.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Port Royale 2 and Patrician IV are the best pure trading games on Steam at the moment. Some say Patrician III is the best but I found IV to be easier to get into. They should all be dirt cheap right now too.

Hopper posted:

Question:
Is Hollow Knight harder than Ori? I liked Ori and haven't finished it yet but the escape sequences...oh god.

If anything Hollow Knight is easier. Fewer spike gauntlets and no instant death.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Thanks to everyone for the trading recommendations!!!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

I can't get past Stage 5 of Pharaoh Rebirth :(

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

While not nearly as good as Freelancer, the X series or Elite, you might also check out DarkStar One. It's fun and good and dirt cheap at $1.99!

Edit: It's also by the same developer who made the Port Royale games, which were recommended above.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Let's say I could go for some XCOM 2. If so - if I did say that - would I also want the DLC?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Costumes sure, but the rest ehhhh take it or leave it.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Is the PC version of prey broken in any meaningful ways? do you do anything more exciting then sluggishly swing a wrench around ?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tenacious J posted:

Let's say I could go for some XCOM 2. If so - if I did say that - would I also want the DLC?

There's three:

Anarchy's Children adds new cosmetics for your soldiers, mostly just that looks Mad Max-ish. Doesn't really interest me, but buy it if you like to play dressup with your resistance soldiers.

Alien Hunters adds 3 boss aliens that show up semi-randomly, as well as new one of a kind pieces of equipment you can equip to your soldiers to help counter them (and also just be generally powerful). Kind of hit or miss, really; the content is interesting, but you can also have the bosses show up and wreck you when you least expect it. A lot of people honestly have it disabled in steam so the rulers don't spawn, especially for replaying the campaign.

Shen's Last Gift adds a (long) scripted story mission and a new class of combat robots with unique abilities. Generally considered on the weak side but they're definitely usable. Buy it if you want a big combat robot for your team.

Looks like the reinforcement pack includes all 3, and for the sale is marked down to the price of Alien Hunters or Shen's Last Gift, so if you want either of those might as well get them all. None of them are in any way essential, though. I'd probably suggest skipping them for now, playing the game as a vanilla runthrough, and if you want to replay it later when the expansion comes out they'll probably have another sale, and you can combine the expansion and DLC for a fresh campaign. The expansion is also promising improvements to both AH and SLG that should improve both anyways.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 25, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SelenicMartian posted:

Steam emails:
"34 items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!"
"17 items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!"
"16 items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!"

I've been going through the discovery queue a few times just as a way to view games on sale/chosen on preferences and the same thing has happened to me.

There are alot of poo poo looking games on steam, I've learned.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tenacious J posted:

No. Save your money for the x-pack that comes out in August instead.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Thanks for the city builder/sim suggestions.

I tried out Hearthlands and almost immediately put in for a refund. Feels like a browser game with a dash of terrible spelling. So many extra e's.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Holy poo poo you guys were not wrong about Hyperlight Drifter, this game is loving amazing.

Also to the poster up there, Rebel Galaxy has a fantastic soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Any opinions on Particle Fleet: Emergence? I liked Creeper World 3.

• Locked thread