Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm bummed that Roland is outsourcing this stuff to companies that make incredibly un-Roland sounding instruments (Malekko, Reon, SE) instead of making stuff that's full of character or at least partnering with companies that DO make Roland-sounding stuff (Cwejman, Ken MacBeth, Intellijel).

To split hairs for the sake of it, weren't the Atlantis components (or the sliders at least) sourced based on surplus from the Malekko thing?

I get where you're coming from but I'd rather have Roland do the Roland-sounding stuff, personally. Whereas this has me wondering (well, dreaming) about a Make Noise or Sputnik partnership or something (Roland and Sputnik Modular present: B-01 The Boutique Easel!)

This got me thinking though - what would you want in a new, classic Roland-sounding analog? I feel like it's a pretty well-covered sound these days. Not that the Minimoog isn't, but for the same reason, I'd be more curious about Moog and one of the folks you listed re-making a SH-2 than I would Roland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I really wish I could land on a Roland synth that clicks with me. I like the sound of a lot of what's out there, but nothing I've put hands on has ever grabbed me enough to want to buy it. That said, 99% of the Roland gear I've used has been modern remakes of the classics, and I don't lust after a 303 enough to care about the Boutique or TR3. Tried a JD-Xi too and I never cared much for it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MockingQuantum posted:

I really wish I could land on a Roland synth that clicks with me. I like the sound of a lot of what's out there, but nothing I've put hands on has ever grabbed me enough to want to buy it. That said, 99% of the Roland gear I've used has been modern remakes of the classics, and I don't lust after a 303 enough to care about the Boutique or TR3. Tried a JD-Xi too and I never cared much for it.
the tb-03 interfaces well with my modular, including as midi->cv/gate, since i aint gonna waste HP on that nonsense, and feeding it random gates is a fun way to get a dream patch working, plus its a completely portable synth that i can play w/o plugging anything at all in

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the tb-03 interfaces well with my modular, including as midi->cv/gate, since i aint gonna waste HP on that nonsense, and feeding it random gates is a fun way to get a dream patch working, plus its a completely portable synth that i can play w/o plugging anything at all in

All of those things are persuasive... Maybe I'll dig into some less conventional sound demos on the TB-3. I just associate it so much with those squelchy acid bass lines and I don't really have any use for that particular sound, but I'm sure that's selling it short as a synth.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apropos of this, Roli announced Seabord Block the other day.

Each one is $299(!), which is way cheaper than the Rise. AFAIK it has all of the same expressive capability and is modular + expandable like all the other Blocks stuff.

Yeah that was actually the main controller I had in mind when I wrote that. I'm super happy that it's out there but kinda wish I'd held off and bought one of those instead of a Rise. Still loves ma Rise tho.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

If they made this a little taller and added a run of CV along the bottom, maybe even removed the sequencer, I would 100% buy this in eurorack format. Maybe 2.
It would act as a knock off/pale imitation of the dual custom Macbeth elements that Colin benders has in his setup.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

cubicle gangster posted:

If they made this a little taller and added a run of CV along the bottom, maybe even removed the sequencer, I would 100% buy this in eurorack format. Maybe 2.
It would act as a knock off/pale imitation of the dual custom Macbeth elements that Colin benders has in his setup.

sounds like the behringer is the minimoog for you

hahaha korg have the odyssey and everybody else has a mini these days, crazy times man

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

cubicle gangster posted:

Have you seen this? http://www.cs80.com/crowminius/ II haven't been following its progress but assuming the project isn't dead in the water it sounds like what you're describing.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Wait am I reading it right in that for the SE-02 you are only able to plug in a proprietary keyboard that blows?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MrSargent posted:

Wait am I reading it right in that for the SE-02 you are only able to plug in a proprietary keyboard that blows?

It's got midi in/out, the keyboard is something they rolled out with the original boutiques.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

MrSargent posted:

Looks like in addition to the hilarious keyboard thing it actually has proper MIDI and CV/gate also.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Ahh thanks. That brings up another problem in that I made a dumb purchase and really need to replace it with a true MIDI Keyboard like the Komplete S49.

I really like the sound of this thing from the demo but I'm relatively new to analog and don't want to make more dumb purchases. The Behringer mini clone looked cool also.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

MrSargent posted:

don't want to make more dumb purchases

I think you're in the wrong thread.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

ozmunkeh posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread.

Ok let me qualify that I don't want to make more completely uneducated dumb decisions. I got a Launchkey Mini which has no MIDI In/Out and no Pitch Wheels. Also the keys suck to play and I suck enough at keyboard as it is.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ozmunkeh posted:

Have you seen this? http://www.cs80.com/crowminius/ II haven't been following its progress but assuming the project isn't dead in the water it sounds like what you're describing.

I follow him on Facebook. It's bewildering and I can never tell exactly what he's working on or if it's something I could buy and/or use.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

o k yall dixie ii or ii+? the ii is like half the current draw and i could get a freez and keep my fxdf but the ii+ has soft and hard sync and uh, a pwm knob and sub instead of square? i have an STO so the sub and hard sync are kinda covered i think idk . . .

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
II+ is fantastic, get that.

The hard sync on it sucks tho.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

what makes it fantastic if the hard sync sucks?
i have 8hp total unless i get rid of the fxdf :ohdear:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Well, interestingly enough, after posting about my MIDI controller woes, I got a daily offer in my email from Musician's Friend for an Alesis VX49 Keyboard Controller. The normal price is 399, but the offer has it at 149.99 which is a pretty great price for a 49 key midi controller.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?source=3GOA5A9A

Has anyone used an Alesis keyboard before and is there anything glaringly bad about it? I have also been looking at the Komplete Kontrol S49, but that thing is 599 and not on sale.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I have their Vortex keytar, and the plastic feels a little cheap, but I think it's supposed to be lower quality than the VX49, so :shrug:

Just picked up a Werkstatt on Craigslist, now 0-Coast has a new best friend. And now I want a Mother 32 already.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MrSargent posted:

Well, interestingly enough, after posting about my MIDI controller woes, I got a daily offer in my email from Musician's Friend for an Alesis VX49 Keyboard Controller. The normal price is 399, but the offer has it at 149.99 which is a pretty great price for a 49 key midi controller.

Has anyone used an Alesis keyboard before and is there anything glaringly bad about it? I have also been looking at the Komplete Kontrol S49, but that thing is 599 and not on sale.

The key action and button/knob quality won't be as nice as the S49, but IIRC it's not really worse than anything else you can get for 150 bucks, and it's really up to you if feel is worth 450 bucks.

If you don't have a keyboard I don't think you're going to do a lot better for $150.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

what's everyone using for tabletop stands? I have a minilogue and Electribe now and while I have the desk space to spread out i'd like to give the minilogue or electribe some lift and tilt rather than sitting flat. Any suggestions?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

$5 at IKEA

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I use a laptop stand to stack my gear. I put my Microbrute where the laptop would go and the Minilogue underneath on the base of the stand. It works surprisingly well.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Beatstep Pro just got a major update with support for Volca's hosed up midi, drum polyrhythms and other stuff. Great timing for me as I've been using the Sample a lot lately plugging it into guitar amp clean channel to play along and record lo fi industrialy stuff, but the pattern memory on it is a nasty bottleneck. Now I can use Sample patterns as kits and sequence it with the BSP.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

what makes it fantastic if the hard sync sucks?
i have 8hp total unless i get rid of the fxdf :ohdear:

The octave switch alone is worth it. Love being able to switch it from high to low without having to retune.

The "transistor pulse" out is decent -- sounds very similar to a square but misses well with a pulse wave.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

loga mira posted:

Beatstep Pro just got a major update with support for Volca's hosed up midi, drum polyrhythms and other stuff. Great timing for me as I've been using the Sample a lot lately plugging it into guitar amp clean channel to play along and record lo fi industrialy stuff, but the pattern memory on it is a nasty bottleneck. Now I can use Sample patterns as kits and sequence it with the BSP.

I can't wait to get my hands on this when I'm back home. I didn't get much out of pattern chaining when it was introduced, but fixing the pattern double bug and adding scene memory means it's going to be a lot of fun to work with.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MrSargent posted:

I didn't like that it only had 8 knobs, even if it's easy enough to program. The VIP control or whatever seemed a little... I dunno. Overkill? Maybe? Seemed kind of gimmicky to me.

The build quality was pretty okay. They keys felt somewhere between synth-style and semi-weighted, and all the buttons and knobs felt solid. The case itself was pretty sturdy. Good pads, of course.

The only reason we got rid of it is because we had too many keyboards, and I wanted something with more tactile controls on it, so we gave it to a friend that needed a controller.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

So Math posted:

it's going to be a lot of fun to work with.

Confirmed. There's no velocity when connected to Sample but it can combine its own automation with what is fed through midi which is interesting. You can have an automation pattern of any length so different beats get accented on every play, and you may tell yourself, "My God! What have I done?"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Inexpensive Keyboard Chat: I've had an M-Audio Code61 for the last year and I really like it. M-Audio and Alesis are arms of the same conglomerate at this point and there's a lot of sharing between the two brands, but the Codes are definitely more upmarket than their equivalent Alesis boards ($50-$100 more expensive, but often on sale- I got mine like $100 off MSRP).

A lot of them- including mine- shipped with faulty, ill-fitting USB cables, which caused a lot of the negative reviews online. Since replacing the cable I've had no complaints, although it's definitely still a sub-$400 keyboard controller.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 24, 2017

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Inexpensive Keyboard Chat: I've had an M-Audio Code61 for the last year and I really like it. M-Audio and Alesis are arms of the same conglomerate at this point and there's a lot of sharing between the two brands, but the Codes are definitely more upmarket than their equivalent Alesis boards ($50-$100 more expensive, but often on sale- I got mine like $100 off MSRP).

A lot of them- including mine- shipped with faulty, ill-fitting USB cables, which caused a lot of the negative reviews online. Since replacing the cable I've had no complaints, although it's definitely still a sub-$400 keyboard controller.

Counter-review, I've never had an M-Audio keyboard (out of 3 new and 1 very gently used) that hasn't poo poo the bed in less than a year and M-Audio's customer service may be the worst I've ever dealt with. This was a while back, though, so I'm not sure if they still require you to pay to open a repair ticket, even if the keyboard is still under warranty.

I've had a couple of Novation Impulses and they've been fine, though Automap is pretty buggy. I ended up disabling it and just rolling my own presets and that worked alright.

Through my own use and through my job I've handled a ton of MIDI keyboards and honestly I've never really encountered one that ticks both boxes of "feels good to play and is reliable" and "has lots of knobs/sliders/pads and maps intuitively". It's possible to have one or the other, but I've never seen one that does both well, at least not sub $500.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 24, 2017

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MockingQuantum posted:

M-Audio's customer service may be the worst I've ever dealt with. This was a while back, though, so I'm not sure if they still require you to pay to open a repair ticket, even if the keyboard is still under warranty.

This is probably when they still were owned by Avid, who STILL do this poo poo for customer support. AND they're bad at it. Avid is the least consumer-friendly company I've ever dealt with, at every level of the company.

I've had a few of their lower-end controllers: Oxygen49, Axiom61 (2nd gen), Mini32. They're okay, and the nice part is that the programming for them really hasn't changed at all in a decade. The Axiom is actually the controller I kept over the VX49 because it is arguably a more flexible controller.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

so fairly new to MIDI, I have an Electribe 2, Korg Minilogue and Volca Bass. I'm trying to sequence everything from the E2 but i'm assuming it's because the minilogue doesn't have a midi-thru, am I right in thinking that?

E2 Midi Out > Minilogue Midi In > Minilogue Midi Out > Volca Bass is what I was trying.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Photex posted:

it's because the minilogue doesn't have a midi-thru, am I right in thinking that?
Yes. Just get a midi thru box, probably.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

This is probably when they still were owned by Avid, who STILL do this poo poo for customer support. AND they're bad at it. Avid is the least consumer-friendly company I've ever dealt with, at every level of the company.

I've had a few of their lower-end controllers: Oxygen49, Axiom61 (2nd gen), Mini32. They're okay, and the nice part is that the programming for them really hasn't changed at all in a decade. The Axiom is actually the controller I kept over the VX49 because it is arguably a more flexible controller.

It was indeed. I can't speak to any M-Audio gear post-Avid. Knowing Avid like I do, I wouldn't be surprised if the overall level of M-Audio's quality control and customer service shot through the roof after the companies split.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
A Wurlitzer 200a in very good condition is available to me for more than half a months pay check, if i drive 6 hours one way to go get it. i could do this, or buy the latest DSI prophet rev 2 for about the same (expensive) price. I mostly am reading sheet music and jamming with the drumbrute. Which would be the most reasonable plan for fair deals?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Wow when the gently caress did wurlies get that expensive. Unless you're a dab hand pianist in an authentic supertramp cover band there is no reality where that's worth buying.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
Got it, will not buy. Do you think the DSI rev 2 would be good to play Final Fantasy songs? Any other suggestions? At least 5 octaves and polyphonic capabilities to handle Nobou Oumatsu (sp)'s sickest jams.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Startyde posted:

Wow when the gently caress did wurlies get that expensive. Unless you're a dab hand pianist in an authentic supertramp cover band there is no reality where that's worth buying.

i wouldnt go quite this far but yeah, if i was spending that money id want a rhodes in good condition or something thats less trouble than a wurly tends to be

but if i cared about EPs i wouldntve sold my polysix ~ m e m o r i e s ~

MisterPlastic posted:

Got it, will not buy. Do you think the DSI rev 2 would be good to play Final Fantasy songs? Any other suggestions? At least 5 octaves and polyphonic capabilities to handle Nobou Oumatsu (sp)'s sickest jams.

why are u leaning P6 over OB6? i hope its the polymod :allears:

oh wait u mean the p08x2? uh . . . i wouldnt want one of those personally because its never made sounds that really grabbed me, but if u want a bunch of analog polyphony and you want it brand new it is the only game in town
which final fantasy do you want to emulate?
the NES had really basic digital sound generators, mostly pulse waves and shift register noise iirc, (maybe sines or triangles too?) which you could easily emulate with pulse and triangle waves and white noise
the SNES had super compressed samples in rom -- a lot of sounds end up being reduced in complexity so approaching specific sounds shouldnt be too hard if youre familiar with synthesis, though it will likely take more tweaking than NES stuff . . .
the playstation one had something approximating mp3 quality samples on its discs for in game playback; it was good enough for recording artists to put their music on it and while electronics were still evident in the final fantasy scores the orchestra sounds actually sounded like an orchestra not a video game

but tbh you can play whatever song you want on whatever synthesizer you want :thumbsup:

Tayter Swift posted:

The octave switch alone is worth it. Love being able to switch it from high to low without having to retune.
it seems cool but Freez seems like a better use of 2HP, plus having a decent coarse tune knob on the module isnt to be discounted. when i retune its usually for video purposes so octaves aint exactly as useful a reference (plus no coarse tune on the VCOs is my 2nd least fave thing about the mono/poly, after the lack of S&H :shrug: )

quote:

The "transistor pulse" out is decent -- sounds very similar to a square but misses well with a pulse wave.
are you talking about the alternating sawtooth? i had always figured that one was implemented primarily for LF use (on the means of production!)
speaking of LF oscillator duties, having square and pwm at the same rate seems more useful to me than pwm and a sub octave -- with the former, you could mult the square wave to an EG and to clcok an S&H, then send the S&H voltage to PWM, and send the PWM out to a diferent EG . . .
i appreciate your opinion but i think most of your enthusiasm for its sound could be applied to the Dxie II and the hard sync sucking makes me reluctant to waste that 2HP 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MisterPlastic posted:

For the sake of trivia, a massive number of the sounds from SNES & PS1 FF scores were sourced from the Roland Sound Canvas boxes. Mostly SC-55 I think.