Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Craptacular! posted:

Depending on your router, the Wi-Fi in the ATV4 may be faster than the physical wired connection. They went with a slow hardware port in order to shave a fraction of a cent of each one.

Sorry, it is a wifi connection. Both server and ATV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah. Put your server wired and the ATV wireless.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cornjob posted:

Sorry, it is a wifi connection. Both server and ATV

Hardwire your server and see if that makes a difference.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, what kind of wireless are we talking about? 802.11g / n? AC? 2.4/5GHz?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, what kind of wireless are we talking about? 802.11g / n? AC? 2.4/5GHz?

The server is 802.11n. The router is an apple airport

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 24, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's your problem. You don't have enough wireless bandwidth.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

sellouts posted:

That's your problem. You don't have enough wireless bandwidth.

Wired might be difficult in the short term. Would a USB 3.0 wireless adaptor be an improvement?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019SRBUNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_SeTtzb79XMMAC

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 24, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Powerline ethernet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No. The problem is the N spec. It can handle wireless one way. But you're doing 2. From server to router and router to Apple TV.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Wired might be difficult in the short term. Would a USB 3.0 wireless adaptor be an improvement?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019SRBUNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_SeTtzb79XMMAC

TheScott2K posted:

Powerline ethernet.

Yup, agreed. Get this:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powe...erline+adapters'

Or you can spend more on 500 Mbps or 1 Gigabit adapters, but imo they're not worth it unless you have like 200Mbps encoded media lul.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Power line adapters didn't work well at all for me. What worked great was upgrading from an 802.11n router to 802.11ac.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Achmed Jones posted:

Power line adapters didn't work well at all for me. What worked great was upgrading from an 802.11n router to 802.11ac.

802.11ac is great but a lot of clients out there top out at 802.11n. America's Console, the Xbox One, is my primary Plex client and it only goes up to N. It works perfectly, but my server is wired to my router.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

802.11ac is great but a lot of clients out there top out at 802.11n. America's Console, the Xbox One, is my primary Plex client and it only goes up to N. It works perfectly, but my server is wired to my router.

Yeah, oddly enough my main client is a launch PS4 that also only goes up to n. I don't really understand why it helped - maybe it was getting all the other wireless clients off of n, maybe it was just that getting a modern router (instead of an ~8 year old Time Capsule) did the trick. But it works now, so I'm happy!

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Yup, agreed. Get this:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powe...erline+adapters'

Or you can spend more on 500 Mbps or 1 Gigabit adapters, but imo they're not worth it unless you have like 200Mbps encoded media lul.

I got one. Seems much better now. Thanks for the advice.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does PlexPass allow you to download movies to local storage on the latest AppleTV? Or does that only work on regular iOS devices like iPhones and iPads?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does PlexPass allow you to download movies to local storage on the latest AppleTV? Or does that only work on regular iOS devices like iPhones and iPads?

Sync is only for mobile devices, and is on the Windows Store app for devices like the Surface or whatever Windows tablet/phone (but that app is hot garbage and I don't recommend it to anyone).

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

teagone posted:

Sync is only for mobile devices, and is on the Windows Store app for devices like the Surface or whatever Windows tablet/phone (but that app is hot garbage and I don't recommend it to anyone).

Yeah, I was really disappointed with the Windows store app. Fortunately the Plex Media play works just fine on the Surface.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

teagone posted:

drat - I want to set up my projector for a 4th of July BBQ I'm having, but the place where I'm having it doesn't have great wifi so I don't trust remotely connecting to my Plex library. What are my options for a cheap box with hdmi out that I can load some movies onto?

I'm thinking my best bet is the $50 lightning to hdmi adapter and then loading the movies to my phone, but I'd love to hear if a better option exists.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

OldSenileGuy posted:

drat - I want to set up my projector for a 4th of July BBQ I'm having, but the place where I'm having it doesn't have great wifi so I don't trust remotely connecting to my Plex library. What are my options for a cheap box with hdmi out that I can load some movies onto?

I'm thinking my best bet is the $50 lightning to hdmi adapter and then loading the movies to my phone, but I'd love to hear if a better option exists.

do briteview cinema tubes / wdtv's that take hard-drives still exist? one of those could work for 1080p60 (24p maybe)

edit: looks like they don't really exist anymore. Well could spend too much money on a shield TV and setup kodi on it/find a cheap nexus player/an old roku 3 with usb media support or something.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 28, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

OldSenileGuy posted:

The adapter and phone option is your best option. You'd be surprised how well it works and it'll push 1080p easily.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You can get lightning to HDMI cheaper than 50.

Also the cheap Android boxes can playback 1080p fine. I have a Nexbox S905x that was dirt cheap and chugs along.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

You could sync media to your iPhone, hook up the Apple TV to your projector, and then AirPlay the local/sync'd content from the Plex app on your phone instead of getting that HDMI adapter. This is assuming the WiFi is decent, and it's just the internet at the location that's slow.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

teagone posted:

You could sync media to your iPhone, hook up the Apple TV to your projector, and then AirPlay the local/sync'd content from the Plex app on your phone instead of getting that HDMI adapter. This is assuming the WiFi is decent, and it's just the internet at the location that's slow.

Ooh, that's a good idea. Can the latest AppleTV receive an AirPlay stream directly from an iPhone without both having to be on the same network, or is that something I dreamed up?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ooh, that's a good idea. Can the latest AppleTV receive an AirPlay stream directly from an iPhone without both having to be on the same network, or is that something I dreamed up?

Peer-to-Peer Airplay is a thing with the AppleTV 3 and AppleTV 4. Think it can be dumb/buggy with purchases from iTunes since sometimes it wants to stream them instead of play the locally downloaded file on the phone/device? Other than that, short google search says it works fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I didn't realize P2P AirPlay was a thing. That's pretty sweet. Don't think Plex would run into the issue of confusing streaming and playing local content since you have to manually select the local/synced items in the Plex app.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OldSenileGuy posted:

Have a big enough SD card? Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC.

You could also get a Chromecast and cast the local media from your iPhone to it, but they're roughly the same price and the Pi can be switched to a portable Plex box with Rasplex when you get back if you desire.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 28, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

He already has everything necessary with an iPhone and AppleTV to be honest; really doesn't need to buy anything just for the July 4th weekend. Just note that the AirPlay icon isn't the same as the "Cast" icon in the upper right corner. While playing back local/synced content in the Plex app on the iPhone, swipe up from the bottom to bring up the Control Center and you'll see the AirPlay icon there.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 28, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Was just hoping to get a sanity check to make sure my current plan makes sense:

I currently have one PC that I use for gaming, Plex server and everything else. It's starting to get a little long in the tooth (5 years old) so I was thinking of using my tax refund to get a new gaming machine.

It's currently connected to my network via ethernet to a wireless-N bridge (there's only one phone port in the house so it's the best way short of rewiring the house to get it online). Multiple TVs in the house use chromecasts to stream plex (as below)

What I'm wanting to do is gut my current PC and put everything into a nondescript little case plugged directly into the modem/router via gigabit eth (controlled via remote desktop from elsewhere) whilst building a new PC to use for gaming etc where the old one was (see below).

Does this make sense, and is it sensible? Currently Plex works pretty well although occasionally has problems buffering, which I'm hoping will be mitigated somewhat by hardwiring it into the network to remove as much latency as possible.

Any thoughts?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

iajanus posted:

Was just hoping to get a sanity check to make sure my current plan makes sense:

I currently have one PC that I use for gaming, Plex server and everything else. It's starting to get a little long in the tooth (5 years old) so I was thinking of using my tax refund to get a new gaming machine.

It's currently connected to my network via ethernet to a wireless-N bridge (there's only one phone port in the house so it's the best way short of rewiring the house to get it online). Multiple TVs in the house use chromecasts to stream plex (as below)

What I'm wanting to do is gut my current PC and put everything into a nondescript little case plugged directly into the modem/router via gigabit eth (controlled via remote desktop from elsewhere) whilst building a new PC to use for gaming etc where the old one was (see below).

Does this make sense, and is it sensible? Currently Plex works pretty well although occasionally has problems buffering, which I'm hoping will be mitigated somewhat by hardwiring it into the network to remove as much latency as possible.

Any thoughts?

Assuming the Chromecasts are on the wifi router I don't see why it wouldn't work. If chromecast by the bridge is on the bridge it still should work.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Assuming the Chromecasts are on the wifi router I don't see why it wouldn't work. If chromecast by the bridge is on the bridge it still should work.

The only thing on the bridge is the PC, everything else connects via the wifi put out by the central modem/router. I'm idly considering getting the house wired up for eth in the future - we'll be getting the NBN fibre next year sometime so if they pipe it into the garage I'll move the Plex machine to there to keep it hardwired and out of the way.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

iajanus posted:

Any thoughts?

What size is your motherboard on the old PC? I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my old gaming PC, an ATX mobo w/ Sandy Bridge i7) but every case that'll fit an ATX board is huge.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Go with a huge case and slap a shitload of hard drives in there, and get your Radarr/Sonarr automation on.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EconOutlines posted:

What size is your motherboard on the old PC? I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my old gaming PC, an ATX mobo w/ Sandy Bridge i7) but every case that'll fit an ATX board is huge.

Full ATX, but there are some smaller cases that support it. I was looking at some of these since it'll be hiding in the corner of the kitchen somewhere, probably. Once the NBN gets installed in our area I'm going to looking into getting the house rewired with a server cabinet in the garage where this machine will live out its days.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/lan-box-haf-series/haf-xb-evo/

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-thetis-classic-aluminium-atx-cube-case-black-ca-03c-rt.html

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I hope you have a NAS somewhere, because those cases are both pretty storage bay poor, especially that second one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tapedump posted:

I hope you have a NAS somewhere, because those cases are both pretty storage bay poor, especially that second one.

The HAF XB EVO isn't bad. 4 x 3.5" bays, and he can just get drive sleds or a drive cage to convert the 2 x 5.25" bays to fit 3.5/2.5" drives for a total of 6+ drive bays. That's decent enough imo, considering the mainboard size compromise.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

teagone posted:

The HAF XB EVO isn't bad. 4 x 3.5" bays, and he can just get drive sleds or a drive cage to convert the 2 x 5.25" bays to fit 3.5/2.5" drives for a total of 6+ drive bays. That's decent enough imo, considering the mainboard size compromise.

The PC I'll be converting from currently has 7 HDDs in it ranging from 1-4TB, so I'm planning on paring it down to 4x4TB (at least). That should last me a little while.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I set the HDHR Connect I bought a year or two ago when it was on sale as a science project back up and I am pretty pleased with how far Plex Live TV/DVR has come. I have Shields in my house which seems to be one of the best devices for it (considering live tuning only supports Android/iOS at the moment anyway).

I spent a little time dickering with my antenna via antennaweb.org and found a placement that works for my setup and gets solid signals. Been using it a few weeks and so far so good. Some recent PMS/Plexpass updates have been wonky with LiveTV - the build before last crashed my PMS server at least once a day - but it is improving. Seems to be getting quite good. Recording works great too.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I have my Plex server refresh automatically every 15 minutes or so, but that's a long time to wait if I just downloaded something and want to watch it. Is there a way to force a refresh from the iOS or Roku apps? It's easy from a browser, but I'm generally not using Plex from a browser.

Also, unrelated, but is anyone on the iOS 11 beta and having Plex work? I have my iPad on the beta and it's unable to stream anything. Which is annoying because I like to use it in bed.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ddogflex posted:

I have my Plex server refresh automatically every 15 minutes or so, but that's a long time to wait if I just downloaded something and want to watch it. Is there a way to force a refresh from the iOS or Roku apps? It's easy from a browser, but I'm generally not using Plex from a browser.

You can make it refresh when it detects a new folder/files showing up in a folder but that can be finicky and I've had it think a copy of the same file was in the same folder til you cut and paste the folder out of the library area, refresh, paste it back into the library area, refresh again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

havenwaters posted:

You can make it refresh when it detects a new folder/files showing up in a folder but that can be finicky and I've had it think a copy of the same file was in the same folder til you cut and paste the folder out of the library area, refresh, paste it back into the library area, refresh again.

Yeah I'm running it on FreeNAS and it doesn't work with that for some reason. It's a known thing, it's either a FreeBSD or ZFS thing that causes it. I can't recall which. I always have to manually refresh though.