Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

dangerdoom volvo posted:

ive never played this game what should i think about

I'd suggest starting on Radiant mode if you've never played before.

It has quality of life improvements, like allowing you to take leveled-up heroes into low-level dungeons. Radiant mode allows you to recruit higher level heroes (up to lvl 4) from the Stage Coach, and to level faster in general. Consider setting your town events to "plentiful" in the options, town events are typically beneficial, for instance there's one called "A Day Long Awaited" which offers 6 more new recruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Maybe it's just me, but all of the new trinkets seem to have the same glaring flaw that makes them nearly unusable as a set: neither of the trinkets within a set have a +Accuracy bonus.

I don't really see the purpose of +35% Bleed Chance if you're going to be whiffing four times as much as if you had even a single trinket providing a decent +Accuracy bonus. Same thing for the Occultist's trinket set, especially since enemies will be even harder to hit because the bonuses require lower light to even activate. The Vestal's set is so hilariously bad I don't even know where to begin, and, again, the +Stun chance is almost entirely negated by not having any +Accuracy. The +25% Melee Damage bonus and +25% Healing bonus from the two items within the set is profoundly worse than the Profane Scroll, which allows for a second trinket to shore up any weaknesses. On top of that, the -2 Speed penalty from one of the Vestal's set trinkets is just cruel.

I don't know why Red Hook seems to struggle so much with trinket balance. I understand that not every trinket is supposed to be exactly as useful as any other, but if you're going to use rarity as a balancing factor, then it feels like the trinket that there's only one of in the game and must be used in tandem with another one-of-a-kind trinket to unlock their full potential, both of which can only be found in a exceptionally difficult dungeon, then they ought to be better than a single blue rarity trinket that you can buy in the Hamlet. Am I off-base here?

A lot of them are geared towards defensive/support builds, which are probably less useful than damage-driven builds, but that's ok--it would be insanely overpowered if there were trinkets with these kinds of raw numbers that were optimized for offense, or just optimized in general. So I'm cool with having them having huge but mostly gimmicky stats. There are definitely a few outliers though: there are a rare few that do slot in nicely (at least individually, if not so much as a set) into offensive builds and unsurprisingly they put everything else to shame, and there are a few sets that are just pretty garbage.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Time_pants posted:

Maybe it's just me, but all of the new trinkets seem to have the same glaring flaw that makes them nearly unusable as a set: neither of the trinkets within a set have a +Accuracy bonus.

I don't really see the purpose of +35% Bleed Chance if you're going to be whiffing four times as much as if you had even a single trinket providing a decent +Accuracy bonus. Same thing for the Occultist's trinket set, especially since enemies will be even harder to hit because the bonuses require lower light to even activate. The Vestal's set is so hilariously bad I don't even know where to begin, and, again, the +Stun chance is almost entirely negated by not having any +Accuracy. The +25% Melee Damage bonus and +25% Healing bonus from the two items within the set is profoundly worse than the Profane Scroll, which allows for a second trinket to shore up any weaknesses. On top of that, the -2 Speed penalty from one of the Vestal's set trinkets is just cruel.

I don't know why Red Hook seems to struggle so much with trinket balance. I understand that not every trinket is supposed to be exactly as useful as any other, but if you're going to use rarity as a balancing factor, then it feels like the trinket that there's only one of in the game and must be used in tandem with another one-of-a-kind trinket to unlock their full potential, both of which can only be found in a exceptionally difficult dungeon, then they ought to be better than a single blue rarity trinket that you can buy in the Hamlet. Am I off-base here?
The Leper's set bonus gives +15 accuracy when he's above 60% HP. And most of the sets have incredibly minor maluses.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Panfilo posted:

The Leper's set bonus gives +15 accuracy when he's above 60% HP. And most of the sets have incredibly minor maluses.

Sure, there are a handful of exceptions, but there are vastly more that are just appallingly bad.

Edit: I get that there are some that are defensively oriented, but even then, they render the wearer so offensively impotent that it's hard to conceive of a situation in which you wouldn't be better off with an offensive loadout or at least one that balanced offense and defensive utility. Look at the Crusader's set, for example. The defensive bonuses are fine--better than average, for sure--but the most you'd expect to get out of any attempt to hit a monster would be gentle breeze.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 24, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Most enemies aren't dodge heavy enough that you need to use +accuracy trinkets, especially if you're not playing on stygian.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Internet Kraken posted:

Most enemies aren't dodge heavy enough that you need to use +accuracy trinkets, especially if you're not playing on stygian.

Madmen, Cultist Witches and Crones are more than enough reason to pack one on certain units.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm just locking +5 acc and dodge Everytime I see it so that's good to hear that should be enough

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Internet Kraken posted:

Like I said in my original post, maybe I'm way off-base on this. But the nastiest enemies tend to be fast, hard to hit, and attack you in ways that aren't mitigated by defensive play or conventional forms of healing (Stress, Disease, etc.). Maybe I'm just not creative enough to see the value of sacrificing both trinket slots and offensive potency for bonuses that oftentimes seem barely competitive with existing trinkets that are considerably easier to come by.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

At low-mid levels, sure. At champion level baseline enemy dodge is so high that you really can't afford to do without. If you stick to high accuracy attacks you can sort of muddle through, but even then you probably want +ACC to help hit the dodgy stuff (which is actually pretty common--most formations have 1-2 stress casters and guess what, all of them have unusually high dodge.)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Why does everyone love Reynauld and Dismas so much?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Novum posted:

Reynauld always starts with Warrior of Light. Dismas with Quick Reflexes and I think Hard Noggin? Those are really great quirks to lock in. Also, cheevo hunting.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I didn't notice the quirks, it is cheevo hunting and a bit of sentimentality

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Highwang posted:

Reynauld always starts with Kleptomaniac

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reynauld is a fucker but Dismas is the man.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Reynauld keeps stealing my poo poo :argh:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

genericnick posted:

Killed the croc with level 0s but was then to beat up to continue. Probably don't do this?

Yeah, I got lucky there too. I was very anxious to see the new content. Now I regret my life decisions as I am on week 40 or so after only one aborted attempt at the Baron. . . everywhere is totally infested with bloodsuckers. Steady supply of blood, though, I suppose.

Demiurge4 posted:

Reynauld keeps stealing my poo poo :argh:

You need to show him the error of his ways by siccing Nurse Ratchet on him for a week.

Novum posted:

Probably for the same reason we all do ridiculous superstitious things in the game. For instance, I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who makes sure all of my busts / portraits / deeds / crests are organized so they show up in the proper order on the reward screen at the end of a mission. Guaranteed.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 24, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

At low-mid levels, sure. At champion level baseline enemy dodge is so high that you really can't afford to do without. If you stick to high accuracy attacks you can sort of muddle through, but even then you probably want +ACC to help hit the dodgy stuff (which is actually pretty common--most formations have 1-2 stress casters and guess what, all of them have unusually high dodge.)

This is the truth. Enemies with 20+ and even 30+ dodge are incredibly common in level 5 dungeons. Accuracy is extremely important and makes the terrible gameplay less frustrating when you're doing level 5s.

I took a look through the trinkets on my completed save which has the majority of them, and I was not impressed with the changes. Off the top of my head I can think of all of two changes that were buffs instead of nerfs, and the nerfs were mostly centered on crap I already didn't use. A bunch of the stuff I was already taking to every single mission like sun rings and the overture box were untouched, while a whole bunch of class-specific trinkets and already-mediocre stuff that you would only ever use early on got nerfed hard. They largely just removed options and very little else. I need to make headway into a save to see if it miraculously works out differently in practice than it does on paper, but it certainly doesn't look like a good change.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo, the Fanatic is an rear end in a top hat.

Would anyone mind giving me some vague tips for The Baron level?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Node posted:

Holy poo poo, the Fanatic is an rear end in a top hat.

Would anyone mind giving me some vague tips for The Baron level?

The big mechanics changes for the courtyard are:

The torch level is locked at a dungeon-specific "blood light" status, which counts as high light as far as quirks and trinkets are concerned. So bring sun rings and early risers, not moon rings and nocturnals. Despite this, there's a lot of curios that require torches, so pack some anyway.

If you abandon the quest, you restart the level at the exact same spot you left it, but you'll need another invitation to go back in. Your heroes don't get any stress from abandoning the quest.

I haven't made it to the baron yet but I bet he's a huge jerk.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
oh good, they added a second hag boss (the hardest one) to the game in the fanatic

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mzbundifund posted:

If you abandon the quest, you restart the level at the exact same spot you left it, but you'll need another invitation to go back in. Your heroes don't get any stress from abandoning the quest.

Wow, I wish knew this, that's really good information. Thanks.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That should be a popup when you go into the Crimson Court, as it is you have no idea until you actually do retreat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA: Antivenom no longer works on heirloom chests

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It hasn't for as long as I can remember

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

It did a few months ago but not on all chests.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It works on Abandoned Luggage in the Weald.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

thebardyspoon posted:

That should be a popup when you go into the Crimson Court, as it is you have no idea until you actually do retreat.
theres a message telling you exactly that when you go into the baron quest

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Soup du Journey posted:

theres a message telling you exactly that when you go into the baron quest

Yeah, I kinda wish it would tell you that before you make the plunge. I guess you could take a hint considering its an "epic" length and you don't get any firewood.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, just got wiped by the Collector first encounter into an apprentice Weald quest (the one with the corpses) aaaand Fargom, Bad Seafood, and Jedah got murdered. This ended the run, though Bad Seafood I thought you could do it. You singlehandedly killed the collector when he had 2 highwaymen and a MaA out. You went Vigorous and almost survived to tell the tale. I think you had like 5 full rounds of just being at Death's Door. Anyway guess there is now some free real estate here in this place, time to see if I can collect the Equity on it this time around.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God drat, trying to do level 5 quests in the Weald just pushes my poo poo in every time. Should I just be doing the other zones first before wandering into that mushroom hellscape?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well, just got wiped by the Collector first encounter into an apprentice Weald quest (the one with the corpses) aaaand Fargom, Bad Seafood, and Jedah got murdered. This ended the run, though Bad Seafood I thought you could do it. You singlehandedly killed the collector when he had 2 highwaymen and a MaA out. You went Vigorous and almost survived to tell the tale. I think you had like 5 full rounds of just being at Death's Door. Anyway guess there is now some free real estate here in this place, time to see if I can collect the Equity on it this time around.

Bad Seafood was the man, that's a hell of a way to go down.

:rip: me, the crazy cat lady with a butter knife.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

You all bled to death, awaiting the cruel clutches of the Collector. But you did so valiantly. Except the dumb fucker of a MaA I had who went irrational and then passed his turn 3 times in a row.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

God drat, trying to do level 5 quests in the Weald just pushes my poo poo in every time. Should I just be doing the other zones first before wandering into that mushroom hellscape?

Try bringing a Master-at-Arms. The 2 biggest threats (fungal scratchers and giants) can only hit the front 2 rows, so a single MAA can basically cover all of their attacks and shrug off the damage with massively buffed prot.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Novum posted:

I just started a new game where Reynauld got killed by the bandits on the Old Road.

Saved me the trouble.

Incidentally that very same game I had a party clear croc, hit a food check sending everyone onto Death's Door, then the Plague Doctor getting hit by a trap that killed her right in front of the last room.

:xcom:

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 25, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How do you use the flagellant? What role does he fill?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That crocodile made it very clear I should not have brought Reynauld.

RIP my newly-infected-with-mosquito-vampirism Vestal, but I still got the fucker.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Front liner who makes things bleed

Whereas the jester jumps around the party making things bleed, and is awful, the flagellant jumps around his levels of HP, and is extraordinarily powerful

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Time_pants posted:

The Crimson Court set for the Highwayman has +10 ACC and a lot of other good stuff. No +DMG, but has enough useful perks that it's okay to go without any, and I wouldn't say that lightly.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's a bizarre off-tank/off-healer/off-dps mix that's overpowered as poo poo. His basic attack is good but not great on its own. The guy gets damage buffs as he falls closer to death, and I think becoming afflicted boosts his damage even more. If you want to dedicate a Flagellant to offense, the best way to do that is probably to pair him with a Plague Doctor so he can be kept just above Death's Door without bleed/blight DoTs ticking away via Battlefield Medicine.

The easier way to play the Flagellant is as a tank/healer mix, though. Redeem is just ridiculous, but you do have to sponge damage off other party members with Suffer to be able to use it consistently. The Flagellant can be a stress-therapist too. He stresses himself out when stress-healing others, and that's fine. Just ignore it and let him turn Rapturous (his only affliction, and it's partially positive), or use his camp skill to shed that stress 50 points at a time and keep himself steady. If you play the Flag as a support, don't get rid of his basic attack - with no buffs whatsoever, it's still fairly nice. Lastly, support Flagellant is good enough at the job that you don't need a Vestal or Occultist, but some kind of off-healer (Crusader, Arbalest, Plague Doctor) is nice for getting you out of the occasional jam.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 25, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Narrator feels too chatty now. Buffs and debuffs are constant and inconsequential enough that it gets silly, since he's going off after almost every dagger throw. They should probably heavily dial back the frequency of those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah