Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The torso? I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to get a hole in that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Blue man shoots black girl because he got nervous. Eeeee.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Wow, they are laying it on heavy. But I'm worried it's all "trailer bait" or "Dusty Finish" style stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm liking this take on the Gallifrey theme.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh gently caress yes I love these pre-Cybermen

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This is really loving creepy and I love it!

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

And we get Dusty. But I'm liking it apart from that. Very creepy right now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God they just turn them down :gonk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm liking pound shop Zathras.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Mister Razor for next companion, please. :allears:

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ohh it's got layers. Like a big old sci-fi onion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh! :neckbeard:

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ohhhh drat!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

OH poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was uneven in parts but the spooky poo poo was great and the ending was fantastic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ffffffffff

So is this negating Spare Parts? :(

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

drat that was good.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I thought that episode was fantastic, it didn't feel like anything was happening but things were and I lost all track of time and I loved it.

Definitely my favourite of this series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I found Mr. Razor felt a bit contrived/forced though still reasonably fun. But with the context of it being the Master in disguise, befriending the Doctor's companion purely so he could build up trust and then betray her later though, he's loving perfect.

It's just such a gloriously Master thing to do - take on this ridiculous persona for shits and giggles just so he can do something horrible to somebody later down the track, with the added bonus of loving with the Doctor in the meantime!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Mister Razor.

Master Zirro? :confused:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r-XCrb4wrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28uc4L4Z30A

Well, we know he's not going yet, unless the Christmas special takes place earlier during his tenure...

Perhaps during the 50-75 years he was guarding the Vault

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
The scenes with Bill in the hospital were wonderfully creepy but the some of the comic relief and meta commentary from Missy undermined the tone a bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No great surprise but Big Finish's special this week is based on the Cybermen - Spare Parts (get this), two seasons of the Cybermen standalone series, Legend of the Cybermen, The Silver Turk & Last of the Cybermen.

I already own everything but the two Cybermen seasons (I heard they're not particularly good/interesting) but I've only listened to Spare Parts. It is really very, very good. Even if I think it's perhaps not quite the masterpiece others have said it is.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

FUN TIME

Jerusalem posted:

I found Mr. Razor felt a bit contrived/forced though still reasonably fun. But with the context of it being the Master in disguise, befriending the Doctor's companion purely so he could build up trust and then betray her later though, he's loving perfect.

It's just such a gloriously Master thing to do - take on this ridiculous persona for shits and giggles just so he can do something horrible to somebody later down the track, with the added bonus of loving with the Doctor in the meantime!

Also worth noting that it took several years of acting like a complete tool in an awful butchers' shop of a hospital in the basement of a dying spaceship, for little to no apparent gain.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Murderion posted:

Also worth noting that it took several years of acting like a complete tool in an awful butchers' shop of a hospital in the basement of a dying spaceship, for little to no apparent gain.

EXACTLY! That's what makes it so fantastic, he spent YEARS being her friend just to gently caress with her (and more importantly, the Doctor!). Also a pretty good reminder of just how different time is for Time Lords.

It's great how context can completely shift my take on a character. He was written as such a "character" that it felt really contrived, but it being the Master pretending to be somebody forgives a lot of that (I mean, it is still contrived writing for the character).

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'll admit, the ended clinched it in changing my opinon. I'm still not sure how the link back to the cold open bit is going to work out. But the rest? Ohh was a great twist. :munch:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

that was good

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

DroneRiff posted:

I'll admit, the ended clinched it in changing my opinon. I'm still not sure how the link back to the cold open bit is going to work out. But the rest? Ohh was a great twist. :munch:

It's great because you see it coming a mile off and think "nahh, they wouldn't, would they?" It's up there with the twist in Heaven Sent. There's hints it's coming, you guess it's coming, the show straight up tells you it's gonna happen... and it still shocks you because you really, really don't want it to be true. You lie to yourself, the show doesn't.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, throughout the episode I knew exactly where things were going to go, an it still hit me pretty hard just due to the dramatic irony of the Doctor asking the Cyberman where Bill was.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"You might even call it... a GENESIS".

gently caress, if I didn't already know I would have lost my loving poo poo. I still kinda did.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

So is this negating Spare Parts? :(

Just gonna tell myself that Spare Parts is their pre-Time War origin and that then the fuckery of the war (and the involvement of this post-War Master) changed things so this new origin happened. We can have both!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r-XCrb4wrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28uc4L4Z30A

Well, we know he's not going yet, unless the Christmas special takes place earlier during his tenure...

Perhaps during the 50-75 years he was guarding the Vault

Some not-quite-on-set info from the spoiler thread suggests that the Christmas episode might be at least partially a sort of It's A Wonderful Life retrospective/flashback episode taking place as the Doctor is regenerating

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That was pretty good, nice and atmospheric. Pity the next episode looks like cg battle schlock

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
John Simms feels a lot more Master-y than he did during his appearances during the Tennant episodes. Simms actually gets something to do than gurning like a loon, and when he was, it felt more organic to the plot. I also really like the way Bill is written, so her sexuality is an aspect of her character, not her entire character. If RTD was still showrunner, I get the feeling she'd be written like a Carry On.... character.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So this takes place post-EoT, right? Because the Master refers to himself as a former Prime Minister, indicating it's post-LOTTL, and there's no real legroom afterwards to fit a Master story in.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Namtab posted:

That was pretty good, nice and atmospheric. Pity the next episode looks like cg battle schlock

With only two episodes left I'm going to go all in on Trusting The Moff

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: I mean, I guess this obliterates Spare Parts... wait, no, it doesn't have to at all, there could have been a parallel technological advance on Mondas as it happened on the ship.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

2house2fly posted:

With only two episodes left I'm going to go all in on Trusting The Moff

I don't trust him, not after the monks

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

About halfway through the episode it clicked for me that this was a multi Master ep and that Razor was the Master in a completely pointless mask, and I loved the episode all the more when it was revealed to be so. Hmm, too early to say, but a good Cyberman story? Say it ain't so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TinTower posted:

So this takes place post-EoT, right? Because the Master refers to himself as a former Prime Minister, indicating it's post-LOTTL, and there's no real legroom afterwards to fit a Master story in.

Well, the Master got sucked back into timelocked Gallifrey with Rassilon, and then moments later the whole planet was saved by all 12 all 13! Doctors and shoved to the end of the universe. So presumably, some point after then, he grabbed a TARDIS and escaped.

Edit: been taking pics.

• Locked thread