Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Technically, some dispute that he has a "disorder" because it arguably isn't harming his personal success.

He's harming his health by ignoring commonsense advice about diet and exercise because he believes rules don't apply to him. He's setting himself up to be ruined by betraying his underlings and allies, and arguably ruined his business by losing the confidence of American banks and investors.

His reputation is far from spotless and he has no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
pack it in, Middle East is destined for turmoil forever

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/878690804260380672

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

skylined! posted:

pack it in, Middle East is destined for turmoil forever

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/878690804260380672

the struggle is about land though, if a shady real estate developer can't broker peace then who can?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

karma_coma posted:

Always wondered why felons cant vote. Even if youre in jail you should be able to vote.

Hold over from Jim Crow.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Why has no-one come out on some very public stage of communication, and called Cheeto-Benito and buddies for what they are. A cult of personality. The first word there is the most operative. The cabinetwide roundtable praise-a-thon kind of sent me for a loop, but solidified the idea. Some people handwave this poo poo away, but I cannot. That is genuinely frightening.

I had something else to type about Trump's image being pushed as a hero but that hurt way too much to think about.

e: Duh, I momentarily forgot that "public stage of communication" is a adversarial system now.
2e:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 24, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

the struggle is about land though, if a shady real estate developer can't broker peace then who can?
Death.

It can't be a war-zone in an area if it's uninhabited by climate change, right?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

I love this so much. "Look, the poors live like us, it's like they think they're people!"

Would this thread have poo poo on FDR when he did the same in Georgia?

I have no desire to see Zuckerberg run. My comment is more about us.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 24, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

BrandorKP posted:

gently caress off BKP, maybe try making another thread about how huge of snowflakes you and your spawn are

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

Personally I might have but for different reasons. Before running for president, FDR held a number of offices, Fuckerberg has held none.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, do you guys think that Putin might be pissed right now?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm withholding judgement on Zuckerburg until he actually runs and unveils his platform. If he runs on Full Communism Now at the very least he puts other Democratic candidates in a position to have to deal with that.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
In this new age of political awareness and involvement, maybe the government can invest in voice mail that doesn't get full.

Yeah I know working as intended.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Kushner v Abbas is the biggest mismatch since Harry Ellis tried to negotiate with Hans Gruber.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm withholding judgement on Zuckerburg until he actually runs and unveils his platform. If he runs on Full Communism Now at the very least he puts other Democratic candidates in a position to have to deal with that.

Lmao if you think a billionaire is gonna run on a platform all about making sure no one gets too rich.

He'll try and make algorithms that run the government or go full technocracy or some poo poo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is the best take on the zuck:

https://twitter.com/pjvogt/status/878447461420986369

I want him to run for the Democratic nomination just to see the response of all the racist olds on Facebook.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wark Say posted:

So, do you guys think that Putin might be pissed right now?

Isn't he always? He's not really the kind of person who's content with anything.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I want him to run for the Democratic nomination just to see the response of all the racist olds on Facebook.

http://www.hillaryis44.com

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

No, that's the best part. Right now, Facebook is doing all sorts of testing to see how well they could promote Zuck through all the things they have at their disposal. You probably won't even be allowed to make Anti-Zuck posts.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Shifty Pony posted:

This is the best take on the zuck:

https://twitter.com/pjvogt/status/878447461420986369

PJ is pretty funny and everyone should listen to Reply All.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WampaLord posted:

No, that's the best part. Right now, Facebook is doing all sorts of testing to see how well they could promote Zuck through all the things they have at their disposal. You probably won't even be allowed to make Anti-Zuck posts.

You'll be able to post them, but no one will see them.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Like, if you don't want to pay for car insurance you don't get a car, and take public transit. What do they expect people who can't afford to pay for insurance to do? not live? It defies logic (not that it's any different from all the other things Republicans consider reasonable reality.) :psyduck:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jesus. I had no idea those clowns went full Trump. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, because a lot of the Hi44 thing was fueled on racist sentiment against Obama, and stewing in racism for 8 years can destroy anyone. It would just be less ironic had the Dem nominee been ANYONE else.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Zuck was elected as a Dem POTUS, would conservatives abandon Facebook in mass?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
This is an actual headline in this our United States, Shining City On A Hill

Cops Sent Warrant To Facebook To Dig Up Dirt On Woman Whose Boyfriend They Had Just Killed

quote:

Everything anyone has ever said about staying safe while interacting with the police is wrong. That citizens are told to comport themselves in complete obeisance just to avoid being beaten or shot by officers is itself bizarre -- an insane inversion of the term "public servant." But Philando Castile, who was shot five times and killed by (now former) Officer Jeronimo Yanez, played by all the rules (which look suspiciously like the same instructions given to stay "safe" during an armed robbery). It didn't matter.

Castile didn't have a criminal record -- or at least nothing on it that mattered. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been allowed to own a weapon, much less obtain a permit to conceal the gun. Castile told Yanez -- as the permit requires -- he had a concealed weapon. He tried to respond to the officer's demand for his ID, reaching into his pocket. For both of these compliant efforts, he was killed.

Castile's shooting might have gone unnoticed -- washed into the jet stream of "officer-involved killings" that happen over 1,000 time a year. But his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, immediately live-streamed the aftermath via Facebook. Her boyfriend bled out while responding officers tried to figure out what to do, beyond call for more backup to handle a dead black man sitting in his own vehicle. Only after Yanez fired seven bullets into the cab of the vehicle did officers finally remove his girlfriend's four year old daughter.

To "win" at killing citizens, you must start the spin immediately. Yanez spun his own, speaking to a lawyer less than two hours after killing Castile. Local law enforcement did the same thing. Documents obtained by Tony Webster show Special Agent Bill O'Donnell issued a warrant to Facebook for "all information retained" by the company on Diamond Reynolds, Castile's girlfriend. This was to include all email sent or received by that account, as well as "chat logs," which presumably means the content of private messages. The warrant also demands any communications that may have been deleted by Reynolds, as well as metadata on photos or videos uploaded to Facebook. It came accompanied with an indefinite gag order.

Why would law enforcement want (much less need) information from the victim's girlfriend's Facebook account? It appears officers were looking to justify the killing after the fact. The following sworn statement was contained in the affidavit:

Your affiant is aware through training and expertise that individuals frequently call and/or text messages to each other regarding criminal activity during and/or after and [sic] event has occurred.

This is warrant boilerplate, especially when it comes to obtaining information from accounts or devices. But this warrant should be considered anything but business as usual. Should be. Isn't. This is the actual standard operating procedure after an officer kills someone: the department goes digging through its criminal records to find any reason at all to have killed the person and to buttress "feared for safety" excuses given by officers -- awarding them points for effort based on information they didn't have when they ended someone's life.

When it comes to police shootings in America, there are no aggressors in uniform, only victims. Officer Yanez made his own excuses, theorizing Castile's willingness to smoke pot in front of a 4-year-old child indicated Castile had no respect for human life.

I thought, I was gonna die, and I thought if he's, if he has the, the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five year old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front seat passenger doing the same thing, then what, what care does he give about me?

Following his testimony's logic, smoking pot in front of a child has so severely damaged Castile's moral compass, he apparently would have thought nothing about shooting an officer over a non-functioning tail light. There's no logical boundary cops won't cross to pin the blame on the dead. Hence the Facebook warrant to dig up dirt on his girlfriend in hopes of adding a bit more post facto righteousness to the shoot.

The only upside -- and it's incredibly small given the surrounding circumstances -- is Facebook refused to hand over the information on the grounds that the indefinite gag order was unconstitutional. Faced with this pushback, Minnesota police withdrew the warrant. But in the end, Yanez was acquitted and Philando Castile is still dead -- a man who did nothing more than try to comply with an officer's orders.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Syfe posted:

Like, if you don't want to pay for car insurance you don't get a car, and take public transit. What do they expect people who can't afford to pay for insurance to do? not live? It defies logic (not that it's any different from all the other things Republicans consider reasonable reality.) :psyduck:

If you made the choice to be unable to afford insurance maybe you should have chosen not to pay rent instead. Don't blame Republicans for people being lazy and unable to plan. Blame them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

Zuck will out-dystopian the dystopian Trump.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If the zuckman will legalize drugs I'd prefer that dystopia

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

25% of black Floridians are felons? What?

I had the same reaction. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but still, Jesus Christ America!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VikingofRock posted:

I had the same reaction. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but still, Jesus Christ America!

The central lesson of Trump's America: we are the baddies

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

I think a big part of it unique to Suckburg is that he has a publically displayed history of lying and selling close friends out, heaped on top of blatantly compromised interests, control over one of the largest media sites (that he shown no shyness about manipulating), and incredibly obvious pr pandering shots.

It's like if Rupert Murdoch and Steve Jobs had fused and started a 3 year long campaign for presidency.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The War on Drugs working as intended.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

VikingofRock posted:

Well to be fair, its Florida. Half if not most of the state should be incarcerated for their own protection and for the rest of the world.

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Charliegrs posted:

Mobs of hardcore right wingers armed to the teeth out in the streets burning down anything they deem liberal/leftist because they feel the Obama administration stole the election might have been worse. We will never know.

a case has been made for accelerationist passing of strict gun control

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I think a big part of it unique to Suckburg is that he has a publically displayed history of lying and selling close friends out, heaped on top of blatantly compromised interests, control over one of the largest media sites (that he shown no shyness about manipulating), and incredibly obvious pr pandering shots.

I wonder if The Social Network will be a plus for humanizing him or will make him look like a monster, cause that's almost certainly a lot of people's first impression of him.

Even though almost all of it was dramatized by Sorkin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

karma_coma posted:

Always wondered why felons cant vote. Even if youre in jail you should be able to vote.
I'm from Florida, and the best (worst) part about the felon disenfranchisement thing is that former REPUBLICAN governor Charlie Crist undid the disenfranchisement, only to have our currently governor Bat Boy undo that order. So if you want to blame anyone, blame Scott since he is directly responsible.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So I finally managed to muscle my way through a Chapo Trap House episode (not my cup of tea but by god I tried) and it left me wondering... when CHUD is used, are people literally referring to sewer dwelling cannibals or has it taken on a different meaning that has somehow slipped by me?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Covok posted:

Source? Because while it does sound like something he would do without a source it's just fanfiction.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/abbas-said-enraged-by-kushner-meet-refuses-to-cut-any-prisoner-salaries/

The Israel Times posted:

Kushner began his meeting with Abbas by stating all the Israeli concerns, including stopping the payments, according to Hebrew media reports, angering Abbas.

“The American delegation accepted Israel’s position with regard to paying salaries to prisoners,” a Palestinian source told Ynet, “and described it as a means of inciting terror, demanding it be stopped.”

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 24, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/878711517537083392

Guys leave T alone

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm from Florida, and the best (worst) part about the felon disenfranchisement thing is that former REPUBLICAN governor Charlie Crist undid the disenfranchisement, only to have our currently governor Bat Boy undo that order. So if you want to blame anyone, blame Scott since he is directly responsible.

My favorite prison disenfranchisement factoid is prisoners are still counted for apportionment sake, so rural communities with a prison get extra political power while of course the prisoners get to exercise none of it.

citybeatnik posted:

So I finally managed to muscle my way through a Chapo Trap House episode (not my cup of tea but by god I tried) and it left me wondering... when CHUD is used, are people literally referring to sewer dwelling cannibals or has it taken on a different meaning that has somehow slipped by me?

They entirely mean the sewer people from the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Zucky might do UBI to shut us all up. At least we'll get Brave New World instead of the alternative I guess!

• Locked thread