Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

McGuinty posted:

Well boys, I am looking forward to getting up early and watching probably bad and then probably superior racing for like 7 loving hours tomorrow, after which I will fruitlessly attempt to do something productive with what remains of the afternoon.

But F1 airs first? IndyCar is actually AFTER. Hope that clears up the mix up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Its my birthday tomorrow, lets not have it spoiled by a Their Lewis win.
A surprise Kimi win would be most splendid though.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Wirth1000 posted:

But F1 airs first? IndyCar is actually AFTER. Hope that clears up the mix up!

Sorry had my times mixed up. Surely an upstart street circuit in Baku, Azerbaijan will offer up better racing than the dedicated road course in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin with a proud 60+ year history, no?

Edit: I've also heard that the Indycar race may have lots of fuel saving *shudder*. Thankfully nothing boring like that has ever happened in glorious Formula 1.

McGuinty fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 24, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
As long as Andrew Benson is writing his lovely columns you have no reason to complain about Joe Saward, let alone Will Buxton or James Allen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Andrew Benson is literally Jesus Christ himself compared to Joe Saward.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

wicka posted:

He was grilling him about brake issues and Grosjean didn't want to talk about it. Grosjean said something like "I'll just have to brake at the 100m sign and hope it stops" and Buxton paused forever and said "Well that doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence, how does it fill you with confidence?"

Grosjeans forced smile at the end of that made me lol. He also said "I don't want to take about the brakes" several times which was great.

I'm surprised Vettel got as high as 4th with that power unit. Whoever said Max will do something insane in turn one and manage to wreck Vettel is probably right, it'll also be the only overtake on this whole garbage circuit. I'm expecting a lot of yellows and maybe even a red given how narrow this turd is.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Theophany posted:

I hope Hamilton takes up off piste skiing so he can emulate Schumacher.

Between a rock and a hard place.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bwoah

Kimi > Vettel
Stroll > Massa
Max > Dan

Maybe the worst thread is wrong about everything. Maybe Alonso deserves all this suffering.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Powershift posted:

bwoah

Kimi > Vettel
Stroll > Massa
Max > Dan

Maybe the worst thread is wrong about everything. Maybe Alonso deserves all this suffering.

Mods?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

McGuinty posted:

Well boys, I am looking forward to getting up early and watching probably bad and then probably superior racing for like 7 loving hours tomorrow, after which I will fruitlessly attempt to do something productive with what remains of the afternoon.

Well I will be up early and going clay pigeon shooting, then home for lunch and a sit down to watch Our Nando at a much more civilised time of 1400. :britain:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

With it only going to be a 1 stop race, it's pretty much going to be a lottery as to whose pit stop lucks into a safety car at just the right time to jump a bunch of people ahead. So Ferrari's going to order Kimi to Piquet himself to give Vettel the victory.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

monkeytennis posted:

Well I will be up early and going clay pigeon shooting, then home for lunch and a sit down to watch Our Nando at a much more civilised time of 1400. :britain:

:britain: AF

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxoWU4SGbug

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've got 1986 Osella driver Allen Berg's hot take on why everybody was going off at Baku.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I got used tires for 20 buxxx.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's more than what I usually pay which is free, sound like you overpaid my friend.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wait was Stroll seriously in Q3?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
The tires by the garbage can were much more used.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Wait was Stroll seriously in Q3?

Not even the slowest in Q3.

With this fantastic rate of progression, his dad might buy him a mercedes seat next year.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Powershift posted:

Not even the slowest in Q3.

With this fantastic rate of progression, his dad might buy him a mercedes seat next year.

He may even qualify for an 'are' tag at this rate, just like Are Maxie

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

He may even qualify for an 'are' tag at this rate, just like Are Maxie

Mods!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

NtotheTC posted:

If my racing car was on fire I'd jump out while it was still moving. gently caress ending up like Niki Lauda.

sup John Force

Autech
Jun 6, 2008

The Brazilian Legkick Machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNBb_tLEsvo

Some live racing to keep you all going till tomorrow's race (well there is also Formula 2 also).

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Paddy Lowe revealed the secret behind Stroll's sudden upturn at least for Baku.

quote:

Williams has revealed a test in a 2014 car between the Canadian and Azerbaijan Grands Prix helped Lance Stroll score the best qualifying result of his Formula 1 career.

Stroll qualified eighth for Sunday's Baku F1 race, outqualifying Williams teammate Felipe Massa for the first time and making Q3 for only the second time in eight attempts.

Massa said Stroll's maiden points finish had calmed him down and "some changes to the car, similar to the one [set-up] I use" had made Stroll more competitive on his first visit to Baku.

Technical chief Paddy Lowe explained that an exclusive day of testing in the FW36 at Austin on June 14 allowed Stroll to examine the differences between his and Massa's set-ups and find a better direction.

"He went to Austin last week driving the 2014 car," Lowe said. "They did a few experiments with set-up, looking at some of the differences between his set-up and Felipe's set-up, and some of that's been brought forward here and I think it's put him in a much better place."

Lowe explained these experiments were focused on "generic things that are common to most racing cars", which meant they could translate easily to the 2017 Williams.

Stroll engaged in a dedicated 2014 Williams test programme during his European Formula 3 championship campaign last season in order to prepare for F1 this year. This programme is continuing with Stroll scheduled to do an exclusive day of testing in the 2014-spec car between every race, at tracks he hasn't visited, until the end of the season.

Lowe said Stroll's familiarity with the car combined with the extra track time helped accelerate his learning process between races.

"It's just track time," Lowe added. "They had a whole day to do some straightforward experiments with stable tyres, good sets of tyres, run a programme. And they're fairly generic set-up directions that apply equally on a 2014 car as on a 2017 car.

"The trouble on a Friday [at a grand prix] is you've got limited time, limited numbers of tyres, they're often not the same type of tyre, then the track's moving quite quickly as well. It's a great advantage to be able to go and spend a whole day on something."

Stroll: Set-up had "drifted away"

Stroll struggled badly in qualifying in recent races, dropping out in Q1 in Spain, Monaco and Canada in a car that usually contends for Q3.

He reckoned taking a set-up direction "similar to the beginning of the year", combined with better communication with his engineers and understanding of the Pirelli tyres, came together to boost his form in Azerbaijan.

"I'm starting to figure it out with the car, taking directions similar to the beginning of the year," Stroll said. "We drifted away from that direction, we came back, and I feel a lot more confident with that balance and set-up.

"The set-up gives you confidence and then you can drive the car the way you want.

"I think it's a combination of everyone working together, the engineers giving me different information, better information, and just gaining experience with the tyres."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-stroll-austin-williams-test-922780/

Holy loving poo poo, Daddy Stroll is literally paying for his son to have exclusive track test days in a 2014 spec car until the end of the season.

loving lmao (lah-mo)

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Man, I'm hosed if Stroll improves

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress Lewis and Mercedes

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
That doesn't explain why Stroll did ok with qualifying here.

Lol at this line though

quote:

Lowe explained these experiments were focused on "generic things that are common to most racing cars", which meant they could translate easily to the 2017 Williams.

So he doesn't know how to set up a car?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's exactly what it sounds like.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, Lowe's wording of things is incredibly condescending it's fantastic.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtYu_JxAfgM

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

keevo posted:

He can probably now give actual feedback to his engineers between sessions and has a better understanding if it improved the car next time he's on track.

It also seems like there's something genuinely wrong with Massa's car based on how frantic he was in qualifying. Wouldn't be surprised if Williams finds out he has a damaged chassis or something after the race and that his pace is not representative.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why the gently caress stroll is getting private testing time?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

why the gently caress stroll is getting private testing time?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I know that but why those idiots at the FIA are okay with this?

Also Ferrari has looked like crap all weekend and frog man probably is going to crash into a Scuderia car.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

keevo posted:

Lol at this line though

So he doesn't know how to set up a car?

Its hard to set something up when you are working to the curfew rebuilding the car.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Man, I'm hosed if Stroll improves
We all are. There is no God.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

I know that but why those idiots at the FIA are okay with this?

There's nothing wrong with spending your free time practicing in an old spec car if you or the team can afford it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/exclusive-canadian-billionaire-lawrence-stroll-to-buy-sauber-456286/

Lawrence Stroll to buy Sauber.

Also, check the date. But lol still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I want the trifecta of poo poo that is Stroll-Sauber-Honda. I need it in my life.

• Locked thread