Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OhDearGodNo posted:

Every time I read the word T'au I hear my inner voice saying Tau, but with an annoying case of hiccups.

I really wish people would stop excessively using apostrophes to make words sound alien.

Appearntly it is still pronounced the same, just with a stupid apostrophe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've broke ground on painting the Purple BIglys.

It looks even better than I hoped.

I really miss the Soul Drinkers :( Just the concept of marines who decided to give the Imperium the finger and their having to operate on scavenged tech was a neat idea. Sad it never really went anywhere.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I have a question about points values. I have a squad of 10 Ork Boyz. Total 60 points. If a Boss Nob takes the place of one Ork boy is it then 67 points? Or am I doing this wrong?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CyberLord XP posted:

I have a question about points values. I have a squad of 10 Ork Boyz. Total 60 points. If a Boss Nob takes the place of one Ork boy is it then 67 points? Or am I doing this wrong?

Other than like, one or two exceptions, all squad leaders are now free upgrades. So 60pts.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Okay, this stupid Forgeworld index is dangerous. I just found out that a Vindicator Laser Destroyer exists, looked at the stats, then purchased one on a whim.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I wonder if FW will sell out of Elysian drop troops before they FAQ that assault weapons rule.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Okay, this stupid Forgeworld index is dangerous. I just found out that a Vindicator Laser Destroyer exists, looked at the stats, then purchased one on a whim.

While I could never tell someone not to spend money on overpriced models after I did the same thing just a little bit ago, you might want to be mindful of doing that just for stats alone. After all supposedly these things are going to get altered after release should something come up that's way too strong.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

evilmiera posted:

While I could never tell someone not to spend money on overpriced models after I did the same thing just a little bit ago, you might want to be mindful of doing that just for stats alone. After all supposedly these things are going to get altered after release should something come up that's way too strong.

Sure. Keep telling yourself that when it comes to FW models.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

jadebullet posted:

I also believe the Forgeworld Index is stupid and dangerous, but for the opposite reason. Obviously it's not cool or sensible to get irritated about imaginary space man rules, but here goes:

The rules for Eldar units, specifically the corsair units I have spent a lot of time and effort converting, are completely poo poo. Like a full on, traditional GW-style slap in the face of basic common sense, rules knowledge or attention to detail. The sort of things which make you think "do you even play this game?" "have you even once proofread these rules?" "are you aware of the parallel rules in the GW indices?" and of course "can you even do basic arithmetic, you belter?".

Basically the units are vastly overcosted, had the bulk of their special or good things taken from them, and in some cases have rules which make no sense. The Corsair units have a morale rule: they may choose to roll 2 dice for morale checks and pick the highest; if they fail by any amount, they lose one additional model. It's phrased as a risk/reward thing but someone's obviously forgotten or got mixed up the fact that you want to pick the lower dice in morale checks: the rule as written says that you may choose to take morale checks with a higher chance of failure and slightly more losses should you fail. Thanks, I'm ok!

So a corsair is essentially a guardian with special pistol shots, trading Battle Focus for this bizarre morale rule and a potentially-nifty ability to shift 3" between causing a casualty on overwatch and actually being charged. Costs 11pts (14pts for the jetpack version, which are actually the models FW sells) with a shuriken catapult or a shardcarbine, which I'm actually fine with. To give the fuckers lasblasters, the weapon which comes in the model kit, and which I assembled them with, costs 7 ppm! This is the same as the Eldar index, so I assume it's some sort of consistency thing, although the actual profile of the Lasblaster is different between the 2 books! I do not feel 7pts is a good price for this weapon - a shardcarbine is probably just as good if not better. Now I can go on using my models and just say they've got shardcarbines. But I don't think it's a huge ask for them to glance over these little things. This unit used to have a 4+ save, now it's down to 5+. Used to have 2 weapon upgrades per 5 models; now it's 1 per 5. They were not a powerful unit before.

The Corsair jetbike ('Cloud Dancers') are even worse. 37ppm! 7 more than a normal eldar Windrider jetbike. For special pistols. loving Shining Spears cost 43! Adding insult to injury, Windriders really benefit from Battle Focus and their extended Advance move. Corsairs give up both of those for the aforementioned broken morale and marginal overwatch rules.

For all of the above mentioned, you need to pay 5pts for the squad leader (unlike, seemingly, every other unit in the entire game). This 'Felarch' has only one close combat upgrade option: he can take a Void Sabre, which is exactly the same as a normal power sword (4pts in the Eldar index). It costs 10pts.

Basically, FW don't even seem to understand the new points system or have someone to do the most basic proofreading. Sorry to be the stereotypical entitled geek consumer, but it is hard to believe they have the gall to publish things in this condition.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

This post has everything I like about 40k. Entitled hams whining that their special snowflake models arent the best anymore, and lovely FW proofreading.

30k supremacy. 7.5 uber alles.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 24, 2017

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly it is still pronounced the same, just with a stupid apostrophe.

l'e'l

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure wanting something that you spent a bunch of time and money on to have a minimal degree of functionality in the new edition is being entitled.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pendent posted:

I'm not sure wanting something that you spent a bunch of time and money on to have a minimal degree of functionality in the new edition is being entitled.

Well, a lot of the regular models hopefully gets some re-tooling as well. Right now a number of models I used to have as a sure pick will most likely never ever get used unless we're playing something crazy like 200 points and I run out of models to field.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Pendent posted:

Seriously. There's nothing wrong with being annoyed (or even outright angry) that the very expensive models you put a ton of effort into building and painting will never see the table in a serious game because they couldn't be bothered to have one person who knows how the game works read over the index for an afternoon.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

I and others sure have gently caress not been allowed to complain about it ITT.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

DJ Dizzy posted:

This post has everything I like about 40k. Entitled hams whining that their special snowflake models arent the best anymore, and lovely FW proofreading.

:perfect:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

evilmiera posted:

I bought it because it looks freaking awesome. Also I needed some anti-tank.

As for the Corsairs, at least you have rules. I started my Wolves with the reassurance by FW that Bran Redmaw would have rules despite not having a model. They never gave him rules so now I have to run him as a lone wolf rather than the much cooler werewolf marine. Yeah, I am a bit salty about it.

Anyway, the nice thing is that they can eventually patch the Corsairs, but seeing as Doom of Mymeara seems to be considered to be a failure(which the first edition pretty much was. 2nd edition was good) I wouldn't hold my breath.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

Basically, FW don't even seem to understand the new points system or have someone to do the most basic proofreading. Sorry to be the stereotypical entitled geek consumer, but it is hard to believe they have the gall to publish things in this condition.

The Tyranid IA rules are pretty fun too, and range from annoying to unusable. These are some of the errors and oversights from just eight datasheets:

• Dimachaerons have a weapon that becomes double strength on 6+ to wound. Yep.
  • Malanthropes give -1 to hit models within 3", which cannot work in the core rules.
  • Malanthrope points are way out of line with ability and power level.
  • Stonecrusher Bio-Flail attacks can be interpreted to work three different ways.
  • Scythed Hierodule weapons don't match what's on the physical model.
  • Hierophants re-use a Scything Talon weapon name from the main GW index with a totally different profile and points value.
  • Scything Talons in general are inconsistently listed in terms or wargear/points compared to the main index.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

I assume this is some sort of internet tongue in cheek thing? I did say that I'm aware it's a firstworld problem to the utmost degree. But it's frustrating because proofreading and balancing to this very basic level (which they're currently failing to do) is so drat easy. Game design and coming up with good core mechanics is difficult. But most of their points cost, editing and errata stuff could have been weeded out by giving a half dozen experienced players the drafts for a day, under a NDA. Not sure what you mean about 7.5, 7th edition had the exact same issues.

jadebullet posted:

As for the Corsairs, at least you have rules. I started my Wolves with the reassurance by FW that Bran Redmaw would have rules despite not having a model. They never gave him rules so now I have to run him as a lone wolf rather than the much cooler werewolf marine. Yeah, I am a bit salty about it.

Anyway, the nice thing is that they can eventually patch the Corsairs, but seeing as Doom of Mymeara seems to be considered to be a failure(which the first edition pretty much was. 2nd edition was good) I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah. FW's original Imperial Armour concept always produced cool looking campaign books, which were very much for 40k players with historical grognard tendencies. But their efforts to introduce and maintain support for sub-factions like the Elysians, Death Korps, special Marine Chapters, Corsairs et al have always been woeful. Typically something is released with some cool ideas and many glaring balance issues; 1-2 units are nearly game-breaking while the others are handicap trash. Then the army is left to slowly drift out of sync with the game's core rules, lacking even the most superficial updates.

Basically it's incredibly stupid of us to chase FW-published rules as usable game supplements, but we always do it anyway!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

gently caress Forgeworld as a company basically. This is pretty shameful.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Ayn Marx posted:

I was talking to my dude down at the store, and he's been hearing from his rep that there were serious issues getting FW to get its poo poo together in time for 8th. GW wanted them to be good to go, FW dragged its feet, and that's part of the reason half of the FW support dropped a week after the general release.

I'd buy it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Forgeworld is a tricky beast. On the one hand their models can be drat neat but I doubt I'd have to tell anyone their rules tend to either make no drat sense or flip all across the place when it comes to strength.

They usually have some pretty neat ideas that are meant to shake up the regular armies a bit but they just tend to get banned or ignored.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The left hand and the right hand also don't talk as much as you'd think, so there's a definite GW/FW disconnect that can lead to stuff like this.

That being said I was just looking at the Elysian range - a range I've never had much interest in - and then researched WW2 Russian paratrooper uniforms to stick them with my Valhallans. This loving hobby.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The T'au Tigershark is incapable of firing it's main guns.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I also think Alan Meritt's illness and death has had a huge effect.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ayn Marx posted:

Their small team hosed up some rules and this is shameful. Don't ham too hard you might pull a muscle.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DJ Dizzy posted:

Because what I really want is to have all my rules written by these guys and not just a subset

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Because what I really want is to have all my rules written by these guys and not just a subset

If all the rules are hosed up, then no rules are hosed up. :colbert:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Again it is a shame that their rules can be so darn weird. For example there was a neat idea where Tau could use what amounted to guardsmen in their ranks, because they'd taken control of and keeping human populations, much like how things went with the Vespid and Kroot. So players had a chance to use their guard models and supplement Kroot as cannonfodder. There were just a few issues with that: First of all the special rule they gained made no sense at all (being worse in close combat with other Imperium forces) while still costing as much as they usually did despite being worse against most players. And they didn't really have anything special about them aside from being able to have one or two of their number carrying the same standard rifle as Firewarriors had. With just a few tweaks, GW and FW could've boosted Astra sales while expanding the set of kits you could set these models up with, mixing and matching the two armies with new configurations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Luebbi posted:

Are the stealers and devilgaunts being deployed via trygon tunnel? This looks similar to what I play, so keep us posted on how it went for you!

The stealers started on the table. The warriors and devilgaunts showed up in the Trygon tunnels. The tournament went well! I went 3 - 0, but finished 3rd due to points. (3 people were 3-0 at the end. Too many players.)

First round was against Eldar. 4 wave serpents full of wraiths. 1 thing that was like a wave serpent but shot better. Tabled them turn 4.

Second round was against Thousand Suns. 2 rubric squads. Predator. Helldrake. 10 termies and a termie sorcerer. Tabled them turn 3. Didn't lose a single unit.

Last round was against Matt Root, the #1 ranked player from ITC last season. He had orks. 3 trukks full of boys. 2 full of tankbustas. Big Mek on bike. Warboss. Gorkanaut. Game finished turn 7 and he had one lone boy on the table, on an objective. I had another objective. I had 9 devilgaunts, a half wounded exocrine, and a single warrior left on the table. Both got slay warlord. Neither got linebreaker. I won due to First Blood.

The guy who won the tournament ran 3 stormravens. 2nd place was running Taurox spam.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Where the gently caress are the Knarloc rules

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Soulfucker posted:

There aren't any.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
So, reading through the "Reinforcements" sidebar of the new rules, it states that:

40k Battle Primer Page 3 posted:

Units that are set up in this manner cannot move or Advance further during the turn they arrive – their entire Movement phase is used in deploying to the battlefeld – but they can otherwise act normally (shoot, charge, etc.) for the rest of their turn.

I guess that means that they can't take advantage of the "Warptime" Psychic Power that Chaos Sorcerers have? It states:

Chaos Index p11 posted:

If manifested, pick a friendly HERETIC ASTARTES unit within 3" of the psyker. That unit can immediately move as if it were its Movement phase.

I imagine that it also stops stuff like the Swarmlord from using its "Hive Commander" rule to make a Burrowed Ripper Swarm, or whatever, move in the Shooting phase?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's a little unclear but that's how I read it. Definitely could use a FAQ.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Soulfucker posted:

I recall watching an interview in that 24 hour livestream GW did where they were talking with a rules designer about how in the GW indexes there are rules for models, specifically razorbacks with the wacky plasmagun option, which they included because even though they haven't produced a model for it in years they still wanted to exclude nobody from using their official minis.

Forgeworld didn't get this memo.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Soulfucker posted:

lmao if you think that cool colorful models are going to get rules before the latest shat-out rendition of <CHAPTER> NounNoun Adjective Tank

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Anyone got a link to the regular Index Xenos list with the Tyranids in it

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Agentdark posted:

Anyone got a link to the regular Index Xenos list with the Tyranids in it

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Index-xenos-vol-2-eng-2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's a little unclear but that's how I read it. Definitely could use a FAQ.

Yeah, I think that it definitely could. For FAQs do we just spam the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page with questions or is there a specific e-mail address or something?

My rule of thumb with ambiguous rules tends to be "read the definition of the rule as whatever is worse for me, personally" so I suspect we're both right that it won't be so easy to get a turn 1, no overwatch, rear charge from deep-striking Warp Talons with Lightning Claws. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I today I discovered a sickening thing you can field as IG that I want to field just for shits and giggles, and because it has to be obnoxious as gently caress.

Stormlord (430) [599]
Heavy Stubber x2 (8)
Autocannon (15)
Twin Heavy Bolter (14)
Vulcan Mega-Bolter (0)
Adamantium Tracks (0)
Lascannon x4 (80)
Twin Heavy Bolter x4 (52)

Heavy Weapons Squad 72
Heavy Weapons Team x3 (12)
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 72
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 72
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 36
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenade (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 36
Heavy Bolter x3 (24)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenade (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 36
Heavy Bolter x3 (24)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenade (0)

Company Commander (30)
Laspistol (0)
Chainsword (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Total: 989

The Stormlord can transport up to 40 models (Heavy Weapon Teams count as 2), and up to 20 models can fire from the back per turn. That means all 12 Lascannons and six Heavy Bolters can be fired every turn from the HWTs, plus the 20 S6 AP-2 D2 shots from the main gun, plus 4 more Lascannon shots from the sponsons, then 30 shots from the Twin Heavy Bolters, and another 6 from the Heavy Stubbers, then 2 from the Autocannons, plus Lasguns if you're close enough. I'm not entirely sure whether the Company Commander can issue orders from the back like that, but rerolling 1s to hit on all that ordnance is... well, it's a lot of wounds.

EDIT: it's the Heavy Support Detachment, plus a Lord of War auxiliary detachment (I forget if there's one that gives you a CP). Totally battleforged. :v:

Strobe fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 25, 2017