Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
It's probably just anime, there's characters with natural green hair in higurashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cyouni posted:

Episode 1 Hideyoshi is either blind or in on it for the short time until he dies. I'm not sure what the point of this is given he's dead without the chance to do anything.

My problem with this one is less that Hideyoshi lied, and more than he did so surrounded by people who could easily contradict him. What if Natsushi just happened to take two steps into the shed? Boom, lie exposed. It's a huge gamble to take that George wouldn't insist on seeing this fiance's body for himself, that Battler wouldn't wander in to stare deeply at Shannon's brain.

Another problem I have with it, and this can't really be blamed on Ryukishi07, is the CG used for that scene. We see the lower portion of Shannon's body, with someone (presumably Hideyoshi) blocking the view of her upper half, and another person standing behind. Now I know the CG scenes weren't part of the original game, but he had to have some editorial control over them, right? Part of trusting the author is trusting that directly contradictory information won't be added to later versions of the story. Or to put it in the game's own language, it doesn't matter if a logic error is created by Beatrice, Battler, or Lambdadelta, it still destroys the game all the same.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ZiegeDame posted:

My problem with this one is less that Hideyoshi lied, and more than he did so surrounded by people who could easily contradict him. What if Natsushi just happened to take two steps into the shed? Boom, lie exposed. It's a huge gamble to take that George wouldn't insist on seeing this fiance's body for himself, that Battler wouldn't wander in to stare deeply at Shannon's brain.

Another problem I have with it, and this can't really be blamed on Ryukishi07, is the CG used for that scene. We see the lower portion of Shannon's body, with someone (presumably Hideyoshi) blocking the view of her upper half, and another person standing behind. Now I know the CG scenes weren't part of the original game, but he had to have some editorial control over them, right? Part of trusting the author is trusting that directly contradictory information won't be added to later versions of the story. Or to put it in the game's own language, it doesn't matter if a logic error is created by Beatrice, Battler, or Lambdadelta, it still destroys the game all the same.

Not that I disagree, but at this point I've resigned myself to accepting S=K as fact for the time being, and seeing what comes out as a result. Remember also that the first one is very likely a tale written by Beatrice, so if she says they don't, they don't. Kind of kills my motivation when I have to accept so much that seems contradictory, but what can you do. In the same way, I'm accepting the likely next move of "lovely plot twist where Gaap's answer was invalid but Beato's identical answer (physically speaking) isn't".

Also Kanon was explicitly next to Hideyoshi pointing things out, so I assume it was him in that CG.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Cyouni posted:

I'm accepting the likely next move of "lovely plot twist where Gaap's answer was invalid but Beato's identical answer (physically speaking) isn't".

Like Kanon already said, why would the Golden Witch have to care about answering? She's the one who asks.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

tiistai posted:

Like Kanon already said, why would the Golden Witch have to care about answering? She's the one who asks.

Well, it's like I said before. I concede that by technicality, she does not have to answer, and is instead the one who sets things up. But if the secret behind the closed room, or the setup, is the exact same as the answer that's been previously denied from being used, and is effective solely by virtue of who is using it, then that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

tiistai posted:

My understanding of the whole business of logic errors is that while the Golden Witch is not required to answer at any point, she must be capable of answering. Or else, why is Battler trapped in that room?

Or wait, I think I've completely misunderstood the question at hand. The solution is Shannon (or anyone in the next room over really) climbs out the window, breaking the seal, and swaps placed with Battler. The logic error is resolved. It is forbidden to use blue truth based on this fact, but who the hell cares? The witch fights with red, not blue. All they need is for Lambda to say "Yup, no logic error here" and it's on Erika to figure that poo poo out. Only she can't say what actually happened in blue because Dlanor forbade it. Which is totally loving cheating because it means there is no way for Erika to win, but really, gently caress Erika.

Dlanor is a good girl. :3:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Battler couldn't have said that Kanon's ghost inspired Beatrice to magic him out of there because Kanon wasn't a ghost when the logic error was made. Duh.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ZiegeDame posted:

Or wait, I think I've completely misunderstood the question at hand. The solution is Shannon (or anyone in the next room over really) climbs out the window, breaking the seal, and swaps placed with Battler. The logic error is resolved. It is forbidden to use blue truth based on this fact, but who the hell cares? The witch fights with red, not blue. All they need is for Lambda to say "Yup, no logic error here" and it's on Erika to figure that poo poo out. Only she can't say what actually happened in blue because Dlanor forbade it. Which is totally loving cheating because it means there is no way for Erika to win, but really, gently caress Erika.

Yeah, this is what I've been saying, and it looks as if the game is heading that way. The whole thing was a misdirect; we're used to the blue text being on our side, but right now our sympathies aren't with the "human side", so we shouldn't care about it. If you're the author of a mystery story, you don't need to make theories about what happened, you already know. The logic error stuff comes up because these really do have to be mysteries behind all the fake magic; you can't have a sequence of events that would genuinely require magic to occur because magic isn't real.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
And neither are witches. :colbert:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait so if Beatrice was created by Sayo to appeal to Battler, then why did Sayo create Kanon? What is the connection to Jessica?

Edit: which update had Dlanor banning the use of Blue?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 24, 2017

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Artificer posted:

Wait so if Beatrice was created by Sayo to appeal to Battler, then why did Sayo create Kanon? What is the connection to Jessica?

We don't know yet. Maybe it's the same kind of thing? Sayo could have created Kanon was a way of shunting off feelings she developed for Jessica, probably assuming that the official heir wouldn't be interested (or permitted).

Artificer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813772&pagenumber=2606&perpage=1

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Artificer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813772&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=66#post473650161

Here it is. Also looking back on that update, I've noticed this red truth.

That only applies if there's a logic error, but isn't Beatrice about to remove one anyway?

edit: beaten

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

idonotlikepeas posted:

We don't know yet. Maybe it's the same kind of thing? Sayo could have created Kanon was a way of shunting off feelings she developed for Jessica, probably assuming that the official heir wouldn't be interested (or permitted).

Do we even have proof that Sayo is the original? Or that original is even a useful concept in this situation?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Do we even have proof that Sayo is the original? Or that original is even a useful concept in this situation?

Nope. We've been calling her Sayo, but we don't know what her real name is. (Assuming that her "real" name could be just as fake as Kanon's.) It's as good a name as any.

Also, if she really is the cliff baby, well, that kid was referred to with male pronouns a few times, so something is up there.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

And we continue the mega hard push for S=K=B, to the point that it's really hard to argue with. It still doesn't seem relevant to the closed rooms, though.

And Erika was in both of these rooms, and talked about there being equal people in each room. I really don't see how we resolve that, aside from "Erika has an unreliable viewpoint", which is true, but if Erika has an unreliable viewpoint and we're relying on that to solve the case then I stand by my claim that she unchained and then rechained the room to let Battler leave, because that's about as reasonable as her not noticing that the room was missing a person.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

OK, how about this. Sayo, dressed as Kanon, was in room A until Erika left. She then departed through one of the unsealed exits while Erika was sealing the place up (since the door and windows can't all be sealed simultaneously by a single person) and moved over to room B, at which point she changed into Shannon. This is possible because the whole guarding-the-rooms-with-guns thing was a charade for Erika's benefit; she's the only one that knows anyone is actually dead, and nobody else cares at all about who is in what rooms.

I think it's come up a couple of times now, but the ways it's going to be relevant to the closed room are:

1) The ambiguity of the phrase "everyone else". It seems to include Kanon, but doesn't, because Kanon and Shannon are the same person.
2) The room that Kanon is theoretically in is guaranteed escape-proof. The room Shannon is in is obviously escapable. When Shannon escapes, Kanon does too, and that will most likely be unexpected.

One could wonder why one room will be escaped and one won't, and I think the answer to that question has to do with motivation. A question some people have asked a few times is: why would anyone climb out the window to rescue Battler? I think the answer is also the answer to another question that hasn't really come up: why isn't Sayo murdering anybody per her usual routine? I think that Battler is the mastermind behind the Erika-tricking game, and he asked Shannon to help him out. As his accomplice, she's satisfied enough to not want to kill anyone right now; she's probably having fun since she likes this sort of thing. So: Shannon was leaving by the window to help Battler orchestrate more fake murders; that's why she went to crack him out. Then when she arrived, she discovered the setup with Erika and exchanged places with him to confuse her more. The reason that window seal will be broken and the other won't is that nobody aside from Shannon is nutty enough to want to help Battler that much, and she's only in one room.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

idonotlikepeas posted:

OK, how about this. Sayo, dressed as Kanon, was in room A until Erika left. She then departed through one of the unsealed exits while Erika was sealing the place up (since the door and windows can't all be sealed simultaneously by a single person) and moved over to room B, at which point she changed into Shannon. This is possible because the whole guarding-the-rooms-with-guns thing was a charade for Erika's benefit; she's the only one that knows anyone is actually dead, and nobody else cares at all about who is in what rooms.

I think it's come up a couple of times now, but the ways it's going to be relevant to the closed room are:

1) The ambiguity of the phrase "everyone else". It seems to include Kanon, but doesn't, because Kanon and Shannon are the same person.
2) The room that Kanon is theoretically in is guaranteed escape-proof. The room Shannon is in is obviously escapable. When Shannon escapes, Kanon does too, and that will most likely be unexpected.

One could wonder why one room will be escaped and one won't, and I think the answer to that question has to do with motivation. A question some people have asked a few times is: why would anyone climb out the window to rescue Battler? I think the answer is also the answer to another question that hasn't really come up: why isn't Sayo murdering anybody per her usual routine? I think that Battler is the mastermind behind the Erika-tricking game, and he asked Shannon to help him out. As his accomplice, she's satisfied enough to not want to kill anyone right now; she's probably having fun since she likes this sort of thing. So: Shannon was leaving by the window to help Battler orchestrate more fake murders; that's why she went to crack him out. Then when she arrived, she discovered the setup with Erika and exchanged places with him to confuse her more. The reason that window seal will be broken and the other won't is that nobody aside from Shannon is nutty enough to want to help Battler that much, and she's only in one room.

I have to give you the kudos for being the first person to attempt a whydunnit in this crazy game where Erika killed 5 people for pulling a silly prank.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Qrr posted:

And we continue the mega hard push for S=K=B, to the point that it's really hard to argue with. It still doesn't seem relevant to the closed rooms, though.

And Erika was in both of these rooms, and talked about there being equal people in each room. I really don't see how we resolve that, aside from "Erika has an unreliable viewpoint", which is true, but if Erika has an unreliable viewpoint and we're relying on that to solve the case then I stand by my claim that she unchained and then rechained the room to let Battler leave, because that's about as reasonable as her not noticing that the room was missing a person.

I don't recall Erika being in both rooms? She talked with Rudolf and Krauss before the whole room setup, and was in Hideyoshi's room after the rooms were set up.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

oath2order posted:

I have to give you the kudos for being the first person to attempt a whydunnit in this crazy game where Erika killed 5 people for pulling a silly prank.

Erika is a loving crazy person who can't stand having her abilities questioned. Obviously actual murder is an extreme reaction, but I could see her cracking over being comprehensively made fun of in this way, and she's smart enough to figure out that's what was going on. It seems like there really isn't much in her life apart from being this perfect detective, so what's left if she loses that too?

Just by the character being a loving maniac, this level of plot-hole can be papered over by forums user idonotlikepeas. What do you think, everyone?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

idonotlikepeas posted:

The reason that window seal will be broken and the other won't is that nobody aside from Shannon is nutty enough to want to help Battler that much, and she's only in one room.

I will admit that S=K requires that Shannon be really loving dedicated to these mysteries. To the point that she'll bash her own head into a giant spike until it breaks through her skull in order to set up a closed room murder.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ZiegeDame posted:

I will admit that S=K requires that Shannon be really loving dedicated to these mysteries. To the point that she'll bash her own head into a giant spike until it breaks through her skull in order to set up a closed room murder.

If you don't want to bash your own head in within the first few weeks of working for the Ushiromiyas, I don't know what to tell you.

(Gohda is immune because he has his love of cooking to protect him from desire)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's kay. she's furniture, after all.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Cyouni posted:

I don't recall Erika being in both rooms? She talked with Rudolf and Krauss before the whole room setup, and was in Hideyoshi's room after the rooms were set up.

Ah, you're right. I had remembered her being in the room with them when she had the conversation, but they were in the lounge.

That does then raise the question of what the 5 people in the room thought about Kanon not being there (Rudolf and Krauss at least would have expected him). I guess maybe Kanon told them he'd stay out of the room to help prank Erika, though that raises the further question of why the rest of them stayed in the room. And it requires some quick change artist skills again, since they had to become Shannon in time for Erika to see her in the other room.

Also, this whole "furniture have fragments of a soul" thing is interesting. What does that mean for all the rabbits and goats and demons and so on? And why is only piece Beatrice furniture? Seems like by that definition every Beatrice should be.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 25, 2017

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Ruriair

As the goat demons partied raucously, Dlanor could be seen leaning against a pillar, trying to escape from the noise. Then, Gertrude appeared and whispered some kind of report to her.

"Allow me to speak. Aide Cornelia is currently heading towards the scene. I suggest that Lady Erika be contacted as well."
"UNDERSTOOD. I will tell HER. Gertrude, contact the head of ceremony SECURITY. Prepare for BATTLE."
"As you wish."
"I apologize for interrupting your chat. I am in charge of security for this ceremony."
"Huh? For me?! Oh, what's going on?"
"...I already said you were going too far. Champagne Tower Bowling was always a bad idea. Time for a scolding. *giggle*giggle*..."
"Hey, Beeeeeeern!! Hey, what's going on, did I do something wrong?!"
"The reception desk has received an envelope from an unknown sender addressed to Lady Lambdadelta."
"I always ignore anonymous calls and letters. Just throw it away."

"...What's that? Did you tell anyone you've received this...?"
"No, only the two Sisters at the reception desk and I know. They have already been ordered to keep silent."

The instant she saw that envelope, Lambdadelta snatched it away and lowered her voice.

...Bernkastel had walked away and was apparently making fun of Erika. Bern--and of course, Erika--were both drunk. If they were left alone, they'd probably forget about this. It's true that this envelope has no sender written on it. However, the seal done on it in gold leaf... fulfills the same purpose.

...This seal is...

Lambdadelta hid behind a pillar, ripped the envelope open, took out its contents, and read them. Her eyes instantly started to glint, and she smiled like a kid who's just thought of a nasty trick...

"...What is to be done? The sniper team is carrying red warheads. If you give your permission, I will give the order to load them."
"...What are you talking about? Do you realize how important these guests are? If a stray bullet hits one of these attendants, all the new Chiester Sisters will be sent straight from the factory to the guillotine for the next ten years."
"Understood. We will intercept with regular warheads. Shall we post lookouts around the Seven Sisters of Purgatory?"
"Why would we need those? After all, the Seven Stakes are Battler's... and now Erika's furniture. Why would we post lookouts around our allies? Just make sure security is nice and tight."
"Just now, we received a recommendation from Assistant Inquisitor Gertrude suggesting that we make preparations for battle. Her reasons are unknown."
"From Gertrude? Heheh. Then follow that recommendation. A party's more fun once you liven things up...!"
"Understood. 00 calling Chiester 17, Chiester 38, Chiester 45, Code R, be on your guards. Transmitting level 2 alert."
"17, copy."
"38, copy."
"45, understood...!"
"It'd have been so much cooler if you'd said 'copy' nyeh."
"Ah, I just got nervous...!"
"Ah, right. 45, come over here a second."
"Wh, what is it? H, hey, we're working now...! Stop, don't play with my ears...!"
"Your ears. Better fold them down nyeh."

"Cornelia is heading there NOW. The odds of Beatrice attacking here are extremely HIGH. I recommend suspending the reception and EVACUATING."
"What's going on, Erika...? Something go wrong with the entertainment...?"
"N, no, my master...! Please continue to enjoy the reception. Hey, someone? Let's get Lady Bernkastel some more dried plum wine...!"

Erika didn't have time to hide her agitation. When Bernkastel saw this, she knew that their final, late guest had finally arrived.

"Luci-nee. I hear there's been some movement in the guesthouse."
"...The guesthouse? Who cares about the game board now?"
"Well... They're saying that Kanon-kun disappeared from the cousins' room..."
"What?! Are you a moron? The cousins' room is a perfect closed room, with the door and all the windows perfectly sealed. It's impossible for him to escape...!"
"No, I've been snooping about as well. There's no mistake. Kanon has disappeared from the cousins' room."
"...He's probably hiding somewhere in the cousins' room. Or else, he's managed to trick everyone since the beginning... and was never in that room to begin with."
"That's impossible. It's been guaranteed that 'everyone' is in the cousins' room except the specific names Lady Erika read aloud back then. It's impossible for him to trick his way out of there."
"...How did he get past the Jungfrau seal barrier...? No, first off, where on earth is Kanon? Find him at once...!"

At that moment, the cathedral suddenly went black. The surprised commotion of the guests filled the cathedral...

BGM: The First and the Last

"00 calling <All Chiesters>. Code R Alert! Chiester 17, can you repair the electrical systems?"
"Negative. Communications with the management staff have been severed."
"<All Chiesters, Code Red>! <Rock 'n' Roll>!!"
"Copy"
"Copy"
"Copy"
"U, understood. Ah! I mean copy!"

The sniper teams in the chandeliers all released their safeties at once. The entire security team down in the hall loaded their ammunition.

"What's dangerous?! I'm the territory lord of this world! Why should I have to run away in fear?!"
"Gertrude, set up a VIP guard BARRIER. Call Cornelia back here at ONCE."
"Yes, executing."
"A barrier?! I need to be wrapped in one of your pitiful, pathetic barriers while I'm wearing a wedding dress?! How insulting!!"

This disturbance made even Battler groan, as he sat in the next seat like a doll...

"...Uuu..."

Even with his soul sealed, Battler probably realized that something strange was going on...

"Totally. She sure kept us waiting."
"What was that just now? A love letter from someone...?"
"A fan letter. From the Lambda-chan Fan Club."

Lambdadelta played dumb and munched some popcorn. Then, the lights finally turned on...

It was clear that during that blackout, Beatrice had snuck in somewhere nearby, possibly even inside the cathedral itself. The whispering goat attendants all realized it as well. Whose scheme was this... and what were they doing? Though it may have been imprudent, they were looking forward to this, and an excited chatter filled the cathedral...

"G, Gaap...! They let you come back too...?!"
"Come on, putting me in a jail is meaningless."
"True! Pu ku ku ku."
"...But Riiche. Battler's closed room, the cousins' room, and even the final possibility, the next room over, have all been sealed... How are you planning to save Battler...?!"
"Let us suppose that Milady has found some trick X. If so, she would inevitably have to march in here to thrust that in Lady Erika's face..."
"But... against all of these Chiester troops... I can't believe this many of them were hiding here...! It's impossible... She'll be sewn to death...!"

Rabbit ears dashed all about the hall. Incredible that she could remain hidden and unnoticed with so many people around...

"...If she can just get close enough to challenge Erika, she should be able to get herself an even fight."
"I see, that move. However, does Milady have that item with her? She always complains, and dislikes it when I prepare them for her. My, my. She's a troublesome one to the end."

Amid the crowd, Ronove took something out and showed it. When Virgilia saw, she understood what 'that' in his hand meant... True, with 'that', it should be possible to stop the attacks from the Chiester troops...

"Well, if it doesn't work on Erika, we're through. The problem is getting her right in front of Erika, if only for a second. The Chiesters will probably prevent that with all they have. Lia, do you think you could give her that time...?"

Virgilia gave a small nod. However, the problem was the two Chiester troops standing at her back. Since that time she had tried to jump out in front of the procession, she had been marked constantly... It was possible, with Virgilia's vast magical power, to momentarily take out all of the Chiester troops in the cathedral. That would only gain a short bit of time, but it would be enough to confront Erika. The Chiester troops knew this, so they kept a close eye on Virgilia with tense faces.

:siren:Video: Return of the Golden Witch:siren:

BGM: None

The fragments became bright gold butterflies... which danced across the room in a beautiful blizzard of gold leaf...

That golden storm... slowly faded away... Then, at the entrance to that red-carpeted path to the grave... stood a calm, majestic figure...

"Guards, shoot to KILL...!!"
"Negative, conducting identity comparison."

Dlanor ordered the guards to shoot the intruder right away, but Chiester 00 didn't respond. Was it because she had been threatened about shooting these guests... and was afraid of the consequences of possibly shooting a drunk guest pulling some sort of prank? No. 00 was just cooly and calmly carrying out her duties.

"..."

The pair faced each other from either end of the long red carpet. However, in between them stood several dozen Chiester honor guards...

"It took you quite some time to come here, most honored guest!! You had us all quite worried! But I am glad you managed to make it to the reception at least...!!"
"...Heh, heheheheheheheheheheheheh..."

Beato... laughed... That chuckle... made Battler's eyes quiver slightly.

"Y, you..."

BGM: The Sin

She had an overpowering and evil presence about her, strong enough to make anyone shiver. Was it still necessary for her identity to be confirmed? Who else could possess such an overwhelming presence?

"'Let us meet again in hell' is a favorite parting line of mine, but-"
"Identity confirmed. It is the great Lady Beatrice!!"

At that moment, the two Chiester troops standing behind Virgilia slumped over and fell to the floor. Ronove had touched the bases of their big ears from behind. It was clear that he had applied some sort of magic.

"Someone find a doctor. These girls seem to be ill."

BGM: Anti-Demon Sequentia

Just an instant before the Chiester troops could fire, Virgilia raised her arms to the heavens. Her magical power, which was more than enough to remind all present what her name had been at the height of her strength, became a spirit wave and exploded throughout the cathedral. That impact made the stained glass windows shatter, and colorful glass shards poured down everywhere.

"S, spirit particle warfare defenses!! Hurry on reboot!!"

However, all of the Chiester honor guards, who didn't have spirit particle defenses, toppled over like dolls. The ceiling snipers, who were defended, were able to avoid a system down, but it would take several minutes before the system could be rebooted. That span of time... should have been enough to reach Erika... However, Erika couldn't be defeated in just a few minutes. There was no way they could carry Battler away in that time...! What should they use this precious time for?!

Beato dashed down the red carpeted path. She ran down the path to the grave, which was lined by Chiester troops lying there like corpses. She had called this place hell. In that case, running from hell to the grave was actually going backwards. Beato's figure dashing through the corpse-ridden path truly symbolized her resurrection...!

"Milady, take this...!"
"Got it!!"

As she dashed, she snatched something white from Ronove's outstretched hand. There was no longer anyone blocking her path to Erika...!! However, that instant, a golden thread came from in front of her and rapidly sewed through the red carpet towards her like a sewing machine!

"Firing radar targeted. Data link to 410!!"

410 was clever. She had predicted that Virgilia would go for a spirit particle attack... and had folded over her ears and 45's beforehand. So, they were the only ones that weren't taken out.

"Firing!!"

Once again, the golden sewing thread chased after Beato, weaving like a sewing machine. It was as though an undulating golden snake was shooting after her.

"Impudence...!! You try to delay my precious showdown with Erika...?!"

Beato jumped sideways away from the red carpet, then dashed across the long table covered with beautiful food. The gold snake chased her, sewing through the pure white tablecloth like a sewing machine and scattering dishes left and right...! The goat attendants ran about wildly, trying to escape. The cathedral was wrapped in pandemonium.

"...I can't believe some of those rabbits evaded the spirit particle attack...!"
"This is bad. If they take up that position, there's nothing we can do...!"

The pair of snipers, attacking from high above on the chandelier, were much further away than Erika was--too far for Beato to reach. Furthermore, their position landed the entire cathedral inside their range of fire!

"...Too bad nyeh, Beatrice-samaaa. The trials of love are harsh nyeh! 45, new magazine!!"

Gaap handed her the magazine. 45 always handed them over backwards, so 410 was a bit confused to have one handed to her the right way up...?!?!

"Nyeh?! Nyeh nyeh nyeh, let go, nyeh nyeh nyeh!!"

No matter how distant a position they might take, it was no problem for the elusive Gaap. Gaap twisted their long ears up, then tickled them with her thumbs. The Chiester's greatest weapon was also their greatest weakness. The two doubled over with laughter.

"...I've handled these two, but how many seconds do we have? The other Chiesters will be reactivating..."

On the other chandeliers, even more powerful Chiesters were slowly starting to move again... It would be impossible to buy any more time.

"Ah, Gaap! Thanks, I'm in your debt!!"
"Don't forget to thank these guys too."
"Beato-, good luuuuuck, hang in theeeeere!!"
"You don't have much time!!"

Beato cut through the crowd of scampering goats like Moses. Her goal was straight in front of her. The place were Erika and Battler were seated...! At that time, a red barrier was created, blocking her path. It was the VIP-guarding barrier that Gertrude had set up. She stepped forward and laid out a last line of defense to block Beato's way.

"You think a wall like that can stop meeeeeeeeeeeeee?!!"
"How long until the Chiesters REACTIVATE?"
"W, within 30 seconds..."

As the oldest of the Seven Sisters of Purgatory, Lucifer stood in waiting behind the bride and groom. She wanted to save Beato. If she could just distract Gertrude for a moment, the wall would disappear... However, the Seven Sisters were furniture. They served the territory lord. So, they couldn't move to help Beato...

Dlanor glanced over at Lucifer. There was a coercive tint to her eyes.

"...You are not allowed to move except by the orders of your MASTER."
"...Ku..."
"Who's our master...?!"
"It's Erika now, idiot...!"
"No, our master is Battler-sama!"
"True. Erika only speaks on his behalf."
"That's right, big sister! Whose furniture are we?!"
"It's just too delicious... let's eat!!"

The red, absolute barrier flickered for just an instant. Beelzebub's stake had pierced Gertrude's shoulder, and her concentration had wavered. But it didn't break. Slowly and expressionlessly, Gertrude turned to look at Lucifer.

"...By whose orders? Know that Lady Erika has made no such order."
"We do have orders. Th, the orders of our master!!"
"..."
"How can a master who cannot speak give orders...?"

"Then, it cannot be helped."

The seven stakes shot at Gertrude at once. Gertrude had chosen to take all of those direct attacks, refusing to abandon the barrier until the last moment. Though she was resilient enough to be called a literal iron maiden and received no damage at all, it was more than enough to make her flinch and lose control of the barrier.

"Good work, my furniture!!!"

Beato shot through the scattered, red fragments of the barrier, and she was finally right in front of the bride, her rival, Erika...

However, there stood the final shield protecting Erika. Death Sentence Dlanor!!

"Chiester 17, data link to <All Chiesters>. Incoming data from Archangel Satellite. Homing Format, Verdict-Model Conceptual Guidance."
"Chiester 20, reactivation complete."
"Chiester 127, reactivation complete."
"Nihhihihihihi... Time's up nyeh."
"Nihhyahahaha!! Stop that, noooooooooo!!"
"...Riiche... good luck..."

"...Keh, D, Dlanor...!!"
"Back off, Dlanor A. Knox. This isn't your fight."
"...I have received a red truth denying you from Lady Bernkastel. I'm afraid that this will become your GRAVE...!"

I don't know what Bernkastel has allowed her to say. However, I don't need to sit around and let that longsword tell me.

"I'll play with you all you want later. But for now, back off!"

There's no time. The Chiesters have already finished reactivating. I'm only living on a bit of borrowed time.

Dlanor's red longsword cut a large arc of absolute denial, which headed right for the crown of Beato's head. However, in that instant, there was *thunk*, and the curve missed slightly. Beato didn't let this good fortune go to waste. She slipped past the longsword, knocked Dlanor aside, and finally stood right in front of Erika...! This time, not a single person stood in her way!

BGM: None

The commotion... quieted... However, no one... shot.

...Why...? They could have shot if they had wanted to. All of the Chiester troops had completely targeted her and removed their safeties. Of course, all of them had finished reactivating. However, they hesitated to pull the trigger.

"Wh, why aren't they shooting?! Let the ceremony guards immediately...!"
"...W, WAIT. L, look at THAT..."

Dlanor's expression grew grim. Then, she quietly... put her red longsword away... After all, Erika would have to make a decision. If she decided to ignore it, they could shoot to kill. However, if Erika picked that up, they must not do so. So, they couldn't pull the triggers until Erika decided...

BGM: Grey Empty Smile

"Look closely. See what Beato just threw at Erika?"

Lambdadelta pointed, still chomping down popcorn. It was hard to see from the balcony. Beato had thrown something like a white handkerchief at Erika. It had fallen to Erika's feet. What was that white thing...?

"...She really knows, that girl. She knows what it means to be the main character."
"How... interesting..."
"..."

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

SHE'S BAAAAACK!!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh good, Beato's back.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
haha Lambda :munch:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Witches still aren't real.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

you fuckers had better watch that video

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Witches still aren't real.

It's true. This is just a symbolic representation of the reassertion of the structure of the story. And, of course, Erika is about to get her symbolic rear end handed to her. Metaphorically.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
witches are real, you scrubs and beato's gonna kick some rear end to save her boyfriend.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
A white glove? Are we about to have another duel?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

A little bit of charm is lost with Beato's PS3 expressions, so here's the original in all her glory.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's true. This is just a symbolic representation of the reassertion of the structure of the story. And, of course, Erika is about to get her symbolic rear end handed to her. Metaphorically.

Meta narrative isn't real. Mackerel aren't real. Nothing is real! :psyduck:

But seriously I am glad to see the story get back on track and past self-defeating attempts to control the conclusion.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

I got incredibly hype from the title alone.

You're still missing the white horse though, Beato.

All hype aside, some things were said that got me thinking about furniture. Furniture cannot act without their master's orders. And if furniture means the same thing when referring to Ronove or the stakes as it does when referring to Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice, who is the master in the latter case? 'Sayo' seems like an incomplete answer, because we have no evidence that the diction between Shannon and Sayo is any greater than that between Kanon and Yoshiya. And when Kanon took a bullet to the face Yoshiya died right along with him. So there's gotta be something more going on here. Has Genji ever been referred to as furniture, even by not-really-there Kinzo, or am I just conflating him with Ronove in my mind?

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Qrr posted:

Also, this whole "furniture have fragments of a soul" thing is interesting. What does that mean for all the rabbits and goats and demons and so on? And why is only piece Beatrice furniture? Seems like by that definition every Beatrice should be.

Don't forget that Beatrice appears to be a special case in that the legend of the witch, and whoever or whatever inspired it, already existed as the concept onto which/whom Sayo (or whoever the root person there actually is) projected 'her' Beatrice, and there has been at least one separate real human being calling herself Beatrice, whom Rosa, at least, has seen. Which actually makes me wonder how you reconcile that, and the portrait, and the fact that Rosa says the woman she saw was the same woman depicted in the portrait, with the fact that the appearance of Beatrice as we see her in the game now appears to have been informed by 12-year-old Battler's fantasies (which couldn't have been shaped by the portrait of the 'real' Beatrice, because it wasn't hung until after he left the family, unless he saw a picture of her in Kinzo's things at some point before he left the family).

ZiegeDame posted:

All hype aside, some things were said that got me thinking about furniture. Furniture cannot act without their master's orders. And if furniture means the same thing when referring to Ronove or the stakes as it does when referring to Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice, who is the master in the latter case? 'Sayo' seems like an incomplete answer, because we have no evidence that the diction between Shannon and Sayo is any greater than that between Kanon and Yoshiya. And when Kanon took a bullet to the face Yoshiya died right along with him. So there's gotta be something more going on here.

Yeah, this seems like a very relevant question.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

All hype aside, some things were said that got me thinking about furniture. Furniture cannot act without their master's orders. And if furniture means the same thing when referring to Ronove or the stakes as it does when referring to Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice, who is the master in the latter case? 'Sayo' seems like an incomplete answer, because we have no evidence that the diction between Shannon and Sayo is any greater than that between Kanon and Yoshiya. And when Kanon took a bullet to the face Yoshiya died right along with him. So there's gotta be something more going on here. Has Genji ever been referred to as furniture, even by not-really-there Kinzo, or am I just conflating him with Ronove in my mind?

Yeah, Genji's been constantly referred to as furniture by both himself and Kinzo.

Rereading the Battler-meets-Beatrice scene in episode 4 after the update before last feels a little odd.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmvSgvy7a34&t=22s

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

Kanon and Shannon referred to a 'father' that created them when discussing the duel, could be Kinzo, but unlikely imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Their previous master was probably Kinzo before he got RIP'd. Even a furniture can stop being furniture once they start getting love.

• Locked thread