Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lol not even close.

The worst part is Zenos by far. The least interesting antagonist this game has ever had.

I remember when they said that they felt too many people were sympathizing with relatively cool imperials like Gaius or Regula, so they were going to have a new villain that we'd all really hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd bet dollars to dimes that no single grand company has more than a 40% winrate, probably no more than 36% tbh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also Zenos was cool because he was an insane psychopath and sometimes you just want to see a complete lunatic murder everyone

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fister Roboto posted:

I remember when they said that they felt too many people were sympathizing with relatively cool imperials like Gaius or Regula, so they were going to have a new villain that we'd all really hate.

The thing about making bad guys like that is that there's absolutely nothing they can have him do that's so ridiculous or evil that it hasn't already been done in real life. Any villain who comes close to what actual empires did is going to look like a ridiculous caricature in a work of fiction.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Also Zenos was cool because he was an insane psychopath and sometimes you just want to see a complete lunatic murder everyone

I like a Luca Blight villain as much as the next guy, but Zenos felt like a watered down version of him. Luca Lite if you will.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

It's honestly kind of hosed up how rewarding PVP is. I've pretty much stopped doing all of my regular roulettes (except Frontlines roulette) at 70 because you can just queue for Shatter and get 50 verities win or lose. I've almost completely geared up my 70 SCH in verity gear within a day or so just spamming PVP, and plan on tackling the EX Primals by tonight. It kind of takes the piss out of the job quest gear you get and the dungeon upgrades etc, the upgrade path is just so easy and spammably short it's strange

I feel like I'm going to run out of things to do by this weekend outside of level my BTN to 70 and maybe do RDM or SAM stuff

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Regarding Adders' win rate pre-made parties that queue for pvp are automatically selected as mercenaries and I'm pretty sure Adders has the least members of the grand companies, therefore it is more likely for pre-made groups to be there. Of course if someone has proof that Adders don't have the least members then everyone is just being superstitious.

macfam fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 24, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zenos is alright, other than having a toddler's face.

Thordan was barely in the game unless you count Nidhogg as the baddy of HW and then he sucked.

Thordan was cool despite not being around much though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

Lyse, formerly known as Yda, the dimwitted and energetic comic relief character, suddenly becomes an extremely serious character in this expansion.

Lyse and Yda are for all purposes two entirely separate characters and the writers just didn't want to do a Yda death scene.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Zenos is alright, other than having a toddler's face.

Excuse you, Villain Barron is awesome.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lyse and Yda are for all purposes two entirely separate characters and the writers just didn't want to do a Yda death scene.
disagreed

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

As far as I am concerned Nidhogg is the true final boss of Heavensward. His fight really capstones that whole story. Everything after him is a leadup to Stormblood.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sinteres posted:

Good call, thanks. I'm dumb.

You aren't dumb, square just is wierd as hell about their codes

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Whatever your opinions on the bad guys, Tataru remains potato supreme

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah upgraded shire gear isn't obsolete until 67. That's totally wrong. Its ilevel 670.

Maybe if you get lucky dungeon drops at 65, yeah, but its not "obsolete" until 67 really.

The HQ level 66 gear is better than Shire gear unless there's a serious secondary stat disparity between the two, in which case maybe the Shire stuff edges it out.

Though there's no reason not to just keep using the Shire stuff until 68 unless you want the 66 stuff for glamors.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lol not even close.

The worst part is Zenos by far. The least interesting antagonist this game has ever had.

People comparing him to Luca Blight are giving Zenos a bit more credit than he deserves but he's still a better antagonist than pretty much anyone introduced in Heavensward except General Leo Hydrus. He's miles better than whats-her-face in Doma.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Lyse, formerly known as Yda, the dimwitted and energetic comic relief character, suddenly becomes an extremely serious character in this expansion.

The explanation that works best for me is that Papalymo treated her like a violent baby, and never allowed her to think for herself, so her speedy character development isn't as much a reaction to events as it is freedom from an overbearing/abusive surrogate parent.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The ifrit katana is incredidly :krad:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Fister Roboto posted:

I like a Luca Blight villain as much as the next guy, but Zenos felt like a watered down version of him. Luca Lite if you will.
Suikoden 2 was released years and years ago. Serious question: which games or stories released since then have had a Luca Blight villain that measured up to the original?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Whew, finally finished the msq. Overall I thought it was pretty great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SettingSun posted:

As far as I am concerned Nidhogg is the true final boss of Heavensward. His fight really capstones that whole story. Everything after him is a leadup to Stormblood.

He's the final trial anyway. After that's just dungeons, and Titan hard but I don't think that counts.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I haven't finished the MSQ yet, but I don't have a problem with Lyse or Zenos. The only NPC so far that gets on my nerves is Gosetsu and I say that with a heavy heart. He's so old.

Dragon Lady: We believe in reincarnation! Such is our ancient way. It gives hope to our people that perpetually suffer loss.
Gosetsu: That's stupid.You're stupid.

Come on!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bell_ posted:

Suikoden 2 was released years and years ago. Serious question: which games or stories released since then have had a Luca Blight villain that measured up to the original?

None of them for pretty much the same reason: they don't get as much development as he does. Zenos is one of the better Luca Lite's I've seen and even that's just because of his scenes post final dungeon where he really gets into it (and the English VA pretty much nails it.)

Meanwhile Luca Blight's doin' Luca Blight things as early as 5 mins in the game by making martyr's out of his youngest soldiers and then again about 20 mins later with his infamous 'Squeal like a pig! Good! Now die like a pig! Hahahah!' moment. Luca puts his 'I'm a monster' foot forward really strongly.

Before Zenos went full ham he was pretty much doing the One Punch Man 'I am so bored of everything because I'm way too strong' schtick which is satisfying if you know what it is but it doesn't make him particularly interesting.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Here's 30+ minutes of a bald man best known for playing warrior (and being really good at it), giving his thoughts on the job in 4.0. Figured it was worth a post since war/tank discussion seems to crop up every other page or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOKdznrs8zs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Zenos's final moments completely redeem him as a villain and he goes from super nothing to the best this game has seen. He genuinely believes you feel the way he does. Why else would you be here and he explicitly told you exactly what was going to happen if you came. He knows you're just looking for another stronger opponent to face because that's where you really live and enjoy yourself (And he's not entirely wrong on that front.) He's suicide isn't to deprive Lyse and Ala Mhigo some petty justice, it isn't even to spurn you. Zenos believes you truly understand him, you're his only real enemy, his only friend, and he takes away your chance at visceral justice to deny you the satisfaction so you'll find the hunger he so cherished and go on to find another fight. The gift was the lust for greater combat, and it's so pitch perfect for his character and I'm so glad the writers did that instead of us just killing him ourselves.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Compelling.

Compared to Yda, Lyse has a different name, different appearance, a different personality, different motivations, and different relationships with different characters. The only thing they share is being a Monk and I guess the Ala Mhigan backstory, something that's shared with many other characters in the game who also have different names, appearances, personalities, motivations, and relationships.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SKULL.GIF posted:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Compelling.

Compared to Yda, Lyse has a different name, different appearance, a different personality, different motivations, and different relationships with different characters. The only thing they share is being a Monk and I guess the Ala Mhigan backstory, something that's shared with many other characters in the game who also have different names, appearances, personalities, motivations, and relationships.

I could be crazy but they are different characters aren't they?

Wasn't the implication that Yda died after ARR and was replaced by Lyse-Yda late in HW, who revealed herself to be Lyse at the end and is now hardcore Lyse in SB.

Or is it that she was really Lyse-Yda all along and we never knew Yda? I wasn't super clear on that, but it seemed like the former.

E: Nope, it was Lyse all along. That's silly. They could have solved the whole thing by just saying Yda didn't die until after ARR. Because yeah, they're really treated as two different people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

Here's 30+ minutes of a bald man best known for playing warrior (and being really good at it), giving his thoughts on the job in 4.0. Figured it was worth a post since war/tank discussion seems to crop up every other page or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOKdznrs8zs

Would it kill people to just write this poo poo down instead of rambling for half an hour over unedited twitch footage? (don't forget the facecam!!!)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Zaphod42 posted:

I could be crazy but they are different characters aren't they?

Wasn't the implication that Yda died after ARR and was replaced by Lyse-Yda late in HW, who revealed herself to be Lyse at the end and is now hardcore Lyse in SB.

Or is it that she was really Lyse-Yda all along and we never knew Yda? I wasn't super clear on that, but it seemed like the former.

E: Nope, it was Lyse all along. That's silly. They could have solved the whole thing by just saying Yda didn't die until after ARR.

you got to see original Yda via the echo in 1.0, but otherwise nope it has always been Lyse

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Would it kill people to just write this poo poo down instead of rambling for half an hour over unedited twitch footage? (don't forget the facecam!!!)

The saddest part is the facecam blocks the tooltip several times.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

yea I actually almost considered not posting this just because of how much he rambles (face cam I've accepted as a sign of the times), but it is still a dude who generally knows what he's talking about in regards to a topic a lot of people are interested in.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Fister Roboto posted:

Despite his sperginess, I appreciate how genuinely upset he is. It's not that bad to listen to if you're stuck in queue.
But at least he's convinced me not to take my WAR from 50 to 70!

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah but then you don't get sweet youtube views.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Writing it down doesn't make money

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

youtube delenda est

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you write long posts about this game people just say "tl;dr"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do I Dragoon? I got to 30, got the job then went straight into PvP? Any easy-to-understand picture out there like there is for the samurai rotation?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Countblanc posted:

I'd bet dollars to dimes that no single grand company has more than a 40% winrate, probably no more than 36% tbh.

Maybe it's just my luck then.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know confirmation bias and all but I seriously feel like there's something screwy with the loot list for EXDR right now because I see literally nothing but aiming accessories drop from the chests, everytime I've had a newbie bonus brd or mch they already have full right side from probably doing the main story dungeon. My raid mates report similar things, all of us have a full set of aiming jewelry by now, it's a little weird.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Since he's an anhedonic psychopath whose only interest is in challenges that can make him feel something, we must understand Zenos first and foremost as a gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Compelling.

Lyse feels like a different character because she has stopped hiding who she really is and is now doing something that she really cares about. The Scions were her sisters thing more then hers which is what made her a second fiddle and comic relief. Now that she is doing something she cares about she has become more serious. It's character development or something.